PDA

View Full Version : RadioHead

crashNUMBERS
07-17-2005, 06:28 AM
Who likes these guys?? I love em'!! I only heard "No surprises" and Im hooked!! Im gonna get their CD "OK Computer". Thing is that they're are alternative but this sounds so much different then usual Alt. This is one way they are good. Some songs may be short but very moving. RadioHead is now one of my favorite bands. I now have no top favorite band. I just a have a favorite list with no ranking one by one. What do you guys think about them?? And if you've never heard their songs just download "No Surprises". It's SMURFing amazing...

TheAbominatrix
07-17-2005, 06:41 AM
You, my dear, are very far behind. But good job, Radiohead is awesome. I was lucky enough to see them in concert and it was incredible.

OK Computer is one of their best, I feel Kid A is pretty damned close too, so pick that one up when you can.

My favorite songs by them are Electioneering and Idioteque, I really love how versatile they are, one album of theirs has so many different styles.

Oh, and Thom Yorke on Space Ghost Coast to Coast is just awesome.

crashNUMBERS
07-17-2005, 06:44 AM
Yeah I am behind. Like I said in my other thread. Im new to the rock franchise...

Shoeberto
07-17-2005, 06:44 AM
"I'm just a knife...knifin' around...chikchikichikchikichik..."

Yeah. Love 'em. No Surprises is my favorite song of theirs (and of all time), OK Computer my favorite album of theirs. The only album of theirs I don't own nor have I listened to is Pablo Honey.

TheAbominatrix
07-17-2005, 06:45 AM
"I'm just a knife...knifin' around...chikchikichikchikichik...".

:<3: :<3: x1 million omg!

crashNUMBERS
07-17-2005, 06:49 AM
RadioHead

"No Surprises"

A heart that's full up like a landfill
A job that slowly kills you
Bruises that won't heal

You look so tired and unhappy
Bring down the government
They don't, they don't speak for us
I'll take a quiet life
A handshake of carbon monoxide

No alarms and no surprises
Silent, silent

This is my final fit, my final bellyache with

No alarms and no surprises please

Such a pretty house, such a pretty garden

No alarms and no surprises (let me out of here)
No alarms and no surprises (let me out of here)
No alarms and no surprises please (let me out of here)

Yamaneko
07-17-2005, 07:05 AM
For a mainstream band they breathe a breath of fresh air into the otherwise uninspired pile of crap out there that the masses listen to. And it's always good to see a large number of people exposed to good music. That said, I think there is better music to be found. I have found Radiohead to be a bit too much hype and not enough content.

Reles
07-17-2005, 08:14 AM
Radiohead is one of my favorite bands, my brother and I have been a fan of them for years.

NM
07-17-2005, 09:35 AM
I've liked Radiohead since I first heard Creep about 12 years ago. Their first 3 albums are all very good, especially, The Bends and OK Computer. I don't like Kid A and Amnesiac though, I just can't listen to those 2 album's. And if you havn't heard Pablo Honey, listen to that and then listen to Kid A, you'd think it was 2 different band's.

-N-
07-17-2005, 09:40 AM
If you're new to the Radiohead, I suggest listening to The Bends and Ok Computer first. Then I'd suggest Hail to the Thief, and then Kid A and Amnesiac. You've got a lot of exploring to do, so get started. I'll give you a short list to get started, but by no means is it complete or comprehensive in any way.

The Bends - Planet Telex, Just, My Iron Lung, Sulk, Street Spirit
Ok Computer - Airbag, Paranoid Android, Karma Police, No Surprises, Lucky
Hail to the Thief - 2+2=5, Go to Sleep, Where I End and You Begin, There There, A Wolf at the Door
Kid A - Everything in it's Right Place, Kid A, The National Anthem, Idioteque, Morning Bell
Amnesiac - Packt Like Sardines, I Might Be Wrong, Knives Out, Hunting Bears, Life in a Glass House

Also look for Talk Show Host - it's not on any released albums, I don't think.

Leeza
07-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Someone is just discovering Radiohead? :)

Radiohead is excellent and even though they have a ton of great songs, Creep is still my favourite. I seen them in concert when Hail to the Thief came out and they were quite amazing.

Miriel
07-17-2005, 11:36 AM
You, my dear, are very far behind. But good job, Radiohead is awesome. I was lucky enough to see them in concert and it was incredible.

I don't know, I think it makes sense for him (and other people his age) to just start discovering bands like Radiohead. I know I was only about 11 or 12 when I got into the band.

I'm not as fanatical as some people, but I love me some Radiohead.

Cz
07-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Never heard of Radiohead? That's so cute! :)

No Surprises is a great place to start, since it's from one of their more mainstream records, OK Computer. Like Neel said, The Bends and OK Computer are the best way to go if you're a new fan, followed by some of their later, more experimental work. Kid A or Amnesiac might be off-putting at first, but once you're familiar with the band's style they'll grow on you. OK Computer remains their finest album though, so make owning that your first priority.

The band just started work on a new album, which gives you until sometime next year to look through their back catalogue and really get to know them better before it comes out. If you're looking for general information or history, pay a visit to Green Plastic (http://www.greenplastic.com/), which is a decent unofficial site.

Dreddz
07-17-2005, 03:38 PM
Yeah I am behind. Like I said in my other thread. Im new to the rock franchise...
pfft, betraying HipHop/Rap ....

RadioHead, Heard One Of There Songs.....meh

Levian
07-17-2005, 03:57 PM
I can't say I've got much left for Radiohead. I guess I just like songs with vocals instead of computeralized noises randomly spread throughout a song. However, I've only listened to the "Kid A" album, so I wouldn't know what the others are like, but I've decided not to waste any more time on them.

Yamaneko
07-17-2005, 06:58 PM
I've liked Radiohead since I first heard Creep about 12 years ago. Their first 3 albums are all very good, especially, The Bends and OK Computer. I don't like Kid A and Amnesiac though, I just can't listen to those 2 album's. And if you havn't heard Pablo Honey, listen to that and then listen to Kid A, you'd think it was 2 different band's.
See, I enjoyed Kid A because it's something very different. We're able to see a band that has progressed to that certain point. Pablo Honey on the other hand is an album we come to expect from any band starting off and consequently, I think it's complete garbage.

Cz
07-17-2005, 07:28 PM
I can't say I've got much left for Radiohead. I guess I just like songs with vocals instead of computeralized noises randomly spread throughout a song. However, I've only listened to the "Kid A" album, so I wouldn't know what the others are like, but I've decided not to waste any more time on them.That's because Kid A is (for want of a better word) weird. The earlier stuff is a lot more accessible, which is why I'd recommend listening to those first. I'm not trying to change your opinion Lev, that's just how it is. :)

kikimm
07-17-2005, 07:35 PM
Hmm. This helps, since I've never listened to Radiohead before. :cool: I'm interested now, though. In fact, I shall go look them up on iTunes right now! Or if that doesn't work, I shall find soething else to sample their music from.

:D

Dreddz
07-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Hmm. This helps, since I've never listened to Radiohead before. :cool: I'm interested now, though. In fact, I shall go look them up on iTunes right now! Or if that doesn't work, I shall find soething else to sample their music from.

:D
Dude, get Limewire, free complete tunes and you can get Movies

1. Very Good
2. Most probably illegal

Xander
07-17-2005, 08:16 PM
Hehe, I'm always far behind discovering bands too.

I love Radiohead! I was listening to The Bends album today.

I have all of their albums except the very latest one cos I kinda stopped listening to them so much then. My favourite songs are Paranoid Android and Exit Music but I really like some of the stuff on Amnesiac and Kid A too.

RSL
07-17-2005, 09:36 PM
Radiohead is a good band. I don't listen to much music but I have a couple of their CDs.

krissy
07-17-2005, 09:37 PM
new album coming out february 2006

heard one unfinished track from it and didn't like ti very much but it was unfinished

i hear it's going to be very experimental a la kid a and amnesiac tho so i'm looking forward

-N-
07-17-2005, 10:50 PM
That's good news.

Rostum
07-18-2005, 12:06 AM
I love Radiohead, have all their albums. I've got this live acoustic show they did on double cd, so if you ever find that... get it!

fire_of_avalon
07-18-2005, 12:06 AM
The Bends = Yay! I still haven't gotten really into any of their other albums, mostly because I don't have a lot of "listen and think" time lately. However, there are a lot of B-sides and rare tracks out there that are amazing too. I definitly suggest you try to find The Trickster when you get the chance; very yay song.

Shoeberto
07-18-2005, 12:23 AM
new album coming out february 2006

heard one unfinished track from it and didn't like ti very much but it was unfinished

i hear it's going to be very experimental a la kid a and amnesiac tho so i'm looking forward
+10 awesome for the hookup

krissy
07-18-2005, 12:38 AM
thnx

jonny greenwood will make a cameo in the next harry potter movie
also i think he just had a kid

crashNUMBERS
07-18-2005, 02:30 AM
Dont worry gib!! I still love rap!! And thanks n. That helped...

yuffielover
07-18-2005, 02:36 AM
My favorite songs from Radiohead are "Karma Police" and "Go To Sleep". They are really good songs.

eestlinc
07-18-2005, 04:50 AM
Hmm. This helps, since I've never listened to Radiohead before. :cool: I'm interested now, though. In fact, I shall go look them up on iTunes right now! Or if that doesn't work, I shall find soething else to sample their music from.:D
Haha, good luck finding them on iTunes. They won't let any of their stuff go on there. But I'm sure you can find it elsewhere, or I'll send you some.

I came to Radiohead from the other side. As a classical musician studying music composition in college I hadn't listened to very much pop music in any depth. (I liked and listened to Pearl Jam, but that's about it). So in 2000 as a junior in college I heard Kid A and was blown away that a major pop band on a major record label could put out something so amazing. Kid A is the album that showed me that a) pop music doesn't all suck b) I could totally be in a band c) my musical tastes weren't so different from other people.

From Kid A I listened to Amnesiac and loved it just as much. I think Amnesiac is a tough album to get into, and it isn;t as much of a cohesive album as Kid A, but the songs are absolutely amazing, and it has the best album art of any album ever, and the themes resonate with me more than maybe any other album.

HTTT came out and I bough it immediately and really liked it, then went back to OK Computer and The Bends. They put out great B-sides as well, although the signles are not cheap to buy.

Anyway, Radiohead are the band that opened the world of artistic pop music to me and for that I am forever grateful to them.

Shoeberto
07-18-2005, 05:24 AM
For me, Radiohead made me realize how crappy all the music I had listened to prior was. Before it, I was all pop-punk or anything like that that was popular on the charts. Pink Floyd was the only exception to this, and it was because of them that I got into Radiohead. I had heard a lot of good from OK Computer and decided to download a few of the songs, which were great, and then I got the album. It ended up being my favorite album with my favorite song.

I got The Bends ~6 months later and was kind of disappointed. It grew a lot on me but at first it just let me down. I think the straight guitar-rock threw me off.

I got Kid A, Amnesiac, and HTTT all for my birthday last year. Kid A instantly stood out as a very cohesive piece that felt like a concept album. Amnesiac seemed like a bunch of random songs, completely unique to one another, put together. A bit closer to OK Computer, but with the rampant experimenting that they had gotten into. HTTT also let me down the first few times I listened to it. It was kind of like Amnesiac, but the songs sounded weaker. However, it grew on me.

Oh, and has anyone else seen The Most Gigantic Lying Mouth of All Time? Crazy as hell.

krissy
07-18-2005, 05:49 AM
the bends is the most depressing cd i've listened to
it had to grow on me as a cd, but there were pieces of it which were anthems to me before i even had the cd. currently i really like the bends though.
i think pablo honey is the most straight up guitar out of all of them, but i'm not sure

when i was younger i saw the video for just, but had no idea who the band was because i was too young to care about music videos/music, but i still watched al of it because i found it interesting
when i saw it again later, i was like, 'oh'

i listened to a radio broadcast of kid a half way through i remember, and got the cd after. it was my first radiohead cd and it came with the secret booklet and everything, and i had never gotten a secret booklet before. kid a played once a day at least for some time.

ok computer is just great (im a fanboy sorry)

amnesiac was pretty good. fine follow up on kid a i thought.

httt was allright. some songs were cool, but overall it's not as memorable as the other stuff.

high hopes for the new one

-N-
07-18-2005, 07:32 AM
I thought HTTT did a good job putting together some good rock with some of the experimentation they had done prior to the albums.

Kid A still remains my favorite Radiohead song - although it had to beat quite a few others. :)

Meow
07-18-2005, 09:50 AM
"Talk Show Host" is on the <i>William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet</i> soundtrack.

Oddball movie; not so bad on the tunes.

KoShiatar
07-18-2005, 03:42 PM
I remember the first time I listened to Kid A. I couldn't decide if it was a masterwork or simply too odd. And then the music just started growing on me and I went for the masterwork....I remember not being able to stop listening to it; I felt like I was committing a musical crime, but also I had gone complusory...I simply needed it, many times a day....

gokufusionss1
07-18-2005, 09:41 PM
top radiohead songs

Fake plastic trees
Just
Street spirit
Parinoid android
Climing up the walls
Karma police
The national athem (kicks ass)
How to dissapear compleately
idioteque ( i know i know just turn it up close your eyes and really listen)
Knives out
pryamid song
there there

crashNUMBERS
07-29-2005, 03:33 AM
Sorry if this is a bad revival but I like how the OK Computer CD manual is planned out...

Jack
07-30-2005, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't say they are my fave band, but they are pretty good. But wouldn't obsess. The Bends is a good album, but nothing more.

But that's cause I'm a Grunge freak.

crashNUMBERS
07-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Im more into alternative... (Some grunge like nirvana)

Jack
07-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Grunge (In the 2000's) is now bracketted into Alternative. Therefore, I enjoy alternative. Bands like Trespassers William... Pixies... The Smashing Pumpkins... Throwing Muses.
If we are being odd... I like Alternative.

crashNUMBERS
07-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Lol... :lol: XD