PDA

View Full Version : What would you do if they dubbed american movies in australian?

Peegee
07-17-2005, 06:29 AM
Because I am trying to watch 'crouching tiger hidden dragon' in cantonese and it's driving me !?>#22222 -- the original dialogue is in mandarin and to see it dubbed over in another chinese language both confuses and enrages me.

Granted 'american' and 'australian' is not the same as 'cantonese' and 'mandarin' in difference, but that's about the closest I can imagine -- the languages are basically the same buy people pronounce words differently.

So yeah, watching say, Arnold Swarzenegger talking like an Aussie. Am I out of line?

I think not.

Samuraid
07-17-2005, 06:47 AM
I would have fun watching movies dubbed into Aussie. That would probably result in some quite hilarious phrases.

Shoeberto
07-17-2005, 06:52 AM
Arnold Schwarzennegar is an Aussie, silly. Put another shrimp on the barbie, Arnie! Ha ha!

Lon611
i think European and American English would be a better anology (no offense to australians) but to me at least, europeans tend to not only have an accent, but have a different set of vocabulary. at least in my opinion. or maybe thats just bollocks :rolleyes2

neways, id laugh hysterically. the end. *goes to sleep*

Cruise Control
It would be very entertaining, like british comedies!

nik0tine
07-17-2005, 06:53 AM
Arnold Schwarzennegar is an Aussie, silly. Put another shrimp on the barbie, Arnie! Ha ha!
He's Austrian. :p

eh... I guess that could be an "Aussie", but only very loosely.

Shoeberto
07-17-2005, 06:59 AM

"That's a lovely accent there...New Jersey?"
"It's Austrian."
"Austria! Well, then. G'day mate! Let's put another shrimp on the barbie!"

Dreddz
07-17-2005, 07:43 AM
It would just remind me of that Snake Catcher from Australia, damn he was the coolest

xtreme112
07-17-2005, 08:03 AM
time for my comment ^_^

Firstly, Mandarin and Cantonese ARE NOT the same thing, I study mandarin and I've heard cantonese, there is a really big difference.

I would agree that it would be pretty funny translating it, but it would also be very pointless, you know not all of us australians talk with a dumb accent that the americans try to imitate, and NOBODY puts shrimps on barbies!
-I hate to burst the bubble, but they're just the facts...

Mitch
07-17-2005, 08:05 AM

"It's Austrian."
shut up, Harry.....or maybe Lloyd

Peegee
07-17-2005, 08:28 AM
time for my comment ^_^

Firstly, Mandarin and Cantonese ARE NOT the same thing, I study mandarin and I've heard cantonese, there is a really big difference.

I would agree that it would be pretty funny translating it, but it would also be very pointless, you know not all of us australians talk with a dumb accent that the americans try to imitate, and NOBODY puts shrimps on barbies!
-I hate to burst the bubble, but they're just the facts...

There is a huge difference -- much more between any 'dialect' (if any) of english, which is why I had to resort to accents.

Yamaneko
07-17-2005, 08:37 AM
Does that mean Crocodile Dundee would make sense?

Kakashi509
07-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Does that mean Crocodile Dundee would make sense?
I don't think anyone can understand that movie

ThroneofDravaris
07-17-2005, 03:28 PM
Wouldn’t work. Not even Australians can understand the butchery of the english lanugage they use here. You might as well get the actors to do a voice track after drinking hydrofluoric acid.

Mo-Nercy
07-18-2005, 03:40 AM
Would work for me. *is Australian*

Australian english is a naturally smart-arse langage. If someone was to ask an Aussie a question, it's likely that they'll say what they're NOT and then let you work out the rest. For example:

Q: How are you?
A: Not bad.

Q: How long did that take?
A: Aw, not long.

Q: How much was that?
A: Wasn't cheap!

And they're PRAWNS, dammit! PRAWNS! wtf is a shrimp!? Bloody drongos.

Mitch
07-18-2005, 06:54 AM
I'd kill myself *is a Kiwi*

Meow
07-18-2005, 09:23 AM
It would be very entertaining, like british comedies!

Half of British comedy for Americans is the accent. i mean, it's not like any of us get the jokes.

Mitch
07-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Aren't a lot of British programmes remade for ignorant Americans??
(Kidding, I love all the Americans I know)

Like Men Behaving Badly and The Office

Project G
07-18-2005, 10:17 AM
I would piss myself with laughter, it's funny as it is with the dubbed martial arts films.

And Harry Potter and the philosophers stone, the changed it to sorcerors stone

Devourment
07-18-2005, 10:25 AM
It gives you something to do then doesn't it?! Learn Cantonese.

WildRaubtier
07-18-2005, 10:39 AM
Bloody drongos.
I reckon.

Peegee
07-18-2005, 02:58 PM
It gives you something to do then doesn't it?! Learn Cantonese.

Knoh sic gong jun wah

(I know speak cantonese)

Rye
07-18-2005, 03:14 PM
It would just remind me of that Snake Catcher from Australia, damn he was the coolest

Steve Irwin? :D He's awesome.

crazybayman
07-18-2005, 03:21 PM
I think it'd be pretty pointless to dub it to another english dialect. The accents, and dialects gives the audience more feel to the atmosphere, of the place where the movie is set.

For example: Braveheart was done with Scotsmen, englishmen, and Irishmen. Wouldn't it be rather dumb if it were done (or dubbed ) in a North American accent? Mel Gibson did work hard to nail down a Scottish accent after all, (although it wouldn't surprise me if many Scots feel that it sounds fake). The reason Mel did that, is because its better than speaking in his Aussie, or his North American accent. It gave the viewers more atmosphere to the setting.

Likewise with a movie like Tombstone: They did the best western and southerner accents they could. It be really stupid if were done, or dubbed in Australian, or British. It would take away from the setting and atmosphere of the story.

The dialect of English used gives you a sense of the location the story is set in.

Meat Puppet
07-18-2005, 03:33 PM
I would need subtitles to watch a movie dubbed in Australian. For example, I went to buy a loaf of bread yesterday, and I went home with the mispurchase of a piglegged prostitute in a barrel. I'm really no good with foreign languages.

Lon611
07-19-2005, 03:23 AM
Half of British comedy for Americans is the accent. i mean, it's not like any of us get the jokes.

-N-
07-19-2005, 03:47 AM
Wouldn’t work. Not even Australians can understand the butchery of the english lanugage they use here. You might as well get the actors to do a voice track after drinking hydrofluoric acid.http://snf.stanford.edu/Safety/AboutHF.html

Mitch
07-19-2005, 08:35 AM
I think it'd be pretty pointless to dub it to another english dialect. The accents, and dialects gives the audience more feel to the atmosphere, of the place where the movie is set.

For example: Braveheart was done with Scotsmen, englishmen, and Irishmen. Wouldn't it be rather dumb if it were done (or dubbed ) in a North American accent? Mel Gibson did work hard to nail down a Scottish accent after all, (although it wouldn't surprise me if many Scots feel that it sounds fake). The reason Mel did that, is because its better than speaking in his Aussie, or his North American accent. It gave the viewers more atmosphere to the setting.

Likewise with a movie like Tombstone: They did the best western and southerner accents they could. It be really stupid if were done, or dubbed in Australian, or British. It would take away from the setting and atmosphere of the story.

The dialect of English used gives you a sense of the location the story is set in.

I think you are taking it a little seriously.

GooeyToast
07-19-2005, 08:37 AM
What could i do?

~Keep it gooey~

crazybayman
07-19-2005, 12:10 PM

I think you are taking it a little seriously.

Oh! Its a joke then?!? of course!! haha!! hehe....hoho....heehee.....neh

*shrugs*

Loony BoB
07-19-2005, 12:23 PM
Bloody drongos.
I reckon.
I wasn't aware "I reckon." was Australian. As far as I know - since I use it all the time too - it's just something that was used a couple of decades ago and Antipodeans just never really let it go.

Anyone who saw my tGA post with the Australian dragons should know how I feel on this issue.

Lindy
07-19-2005, 12:29 PM
Every sentence would be a question, thanks to that damned Australian Question Intonation.

Gives me your clothes, your boots, and your <i>motorcyle</i>?
Come with me if you want to <i>live</i>?

Or imagine romantic films.

I'm sorry I ever left you?
I really mean it, I love you?
Lets never be apart?

boris no no
07-19-2005, 01:03 PM
what if all actors were kangeroos and they kicked everyone in the head O__o

Cruise Control
07-19-2005, 01:10 PM
xDThen Jurrasic Park would be even worse!

ThroneofDravaris
07-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Wouldn’t work. Not even Australians can understand the butchery of the english lanugage they use here. You might as well get the actors to do a voice track after drinking hydrofluoric acid.http://snf.stanford.edu/Safety/AboutHF.html

Yes, I realize that it would kill them instantly. I couldn’t think of a better example (nice info though)

Anyway, they actually do dub some America commercials over here into Australian; I guess people think it makes them more ‘accessible’ to the audience.

And yes, it sucks.

Kittay
07-19-2005, 02:44 PM

"It's Austrian."

Hahaha I love that quote.

Even more so since I have a Jersey accent. :p

Itsunari 2000
07-20-2005, 04:35 PM
Lol Braveheart in Australian ...:)

William Wallace : Look Hamish , see how the cowardly English flee the field!!!
Hamish : Bonzer !

Personally though I think it's absurd that anyone would dub over standard English with respective accents , for the sake of authenticity ( ie. 14th century Scotland in this case)