PDA

View Full Version : What side quest proves Zell is not gay?

FinalBob42
07-17-2005, 09:47 PM
I was reading up on some of the FF characters and came across this. (http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?method=4&dsid=2222&dekey=Zell+Dincht&gwp=8&curtab=2222_1&linktext=Zell%20Dincht)

It isn't until near the end of the game - and after completing a side quest - that the other characters are finally convinced that he's not homosexual.

I never thought of him as being gay in the first place. Does anyone know what sidequest they're talking about and does someone not mind giving a small summary of the outcome?

blackline77
07-17-2005, 09:54 PM
[I] well have u seen the ending i mean come on hes eating hotdogs. now whats that tell u ?

no im just kidding. no i have completed all the side quests and dont remember any one of them having any thing to do with zell and homosexuals. sorry, but i can tell u that at the end hes all up on the girls so that should be some sort of hint. hope ive been helpful.

Edit by RSL: Don't double post.

abrojtm
07-17-2005, 10:02 PM
I never thought he was gay, wow, he eats hotdogs, so do I, so do thousands of people. I don't think they are all gay.
Besides, he has a crush on the library girl.

Destai
07-17-2005, 10:06 PM
Its a side quest where him and Library girl spend the night together as far as I remeber. Saying the partythought Zell was gay was just a joke.

blackline77
07-17-2005, 10:11 PM
did u actually do the side quest ur self?

Destai
07-17-2005, 10:20 PM
did u actually do the side quest ur self?yup. It easy enough to do I think. I had Zell and Rinoa in my party and the next morning Zell came into the Balamb hotel where the other two were waiting or something like that. Its been years.

FinalBob42
07-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Besides, he has a crush on the library girl.

Does he really? Or does the girl just have a crush on him?

More on his sexuality:

Quistis Trepe makes comments about his neatness and unusual shows of affection towards Squall. Female librarians at Balamb Garden form a committee to try and get him interested in another library girl (at the end of the game he is see eating with the girl, although apparently oblivious to her attraction to him). He regularly visits his mother, who lives in Balamb.

blackline77
07-17-2005, 10:25 PM
[I] now that u mention it he does seem kinda girly, remember how he played hook up for squall and rinoa?

Destai
07-17-2005, 10:27 PM
[I] now that u mention it he does seem kinda girly, remember how he played hook up for squall and rinoa?You mean flirted with Rinoa?

blackline77
07-17-2005, 10:43 PM
no i mean how he was runnin around and sayin squall gimme ur ring. i cant tell u y but give it to me. and how they made seifer always trash talk t zell like he was a chicken wuss. really i dont think hes gay though. maybe just a little light hearted.U?

MoonZapdos
07-17-2005, 10:49 PM
This is one of the weirdest threads I have ever heard off.

blackline77
07-17-2005, 10:54 PM
yeah it is a weird and funny topic. i had never thought about any of this till this thread popped up.

Destai
07-17-2005, 11:01 PM
Meh, he never struck me as gay.

blackline77
07-17-2005, 11:06 PM
me either , but with all this new info he could have been gay?he did seem fond of squall i dont know some games are like that where they make a background character have a hidden profile hard to intepret. like mgs3.

Mo-Nercy
07-18-2005, 04:41 AM
http://home.iprimus.com.au/lyxia/screenshots/secretarea.jpg
'Nuff said. He's ALL MAN!

Mitch
07-18-2005, 07:56 AM

lmao

crazybayman
07-18-2005, 12:07 PM
LOL

hehe....funny....

Its really annoying when people start asking "OMG, is that ff character gay?!??!", especially when there's no evidence leading to the idea.

Sure he likes hotdogs...........big deal. I do too, and my girlfriend can confirm that I'm not gay. :rolleyes2 (no offence to the gay people reading this of course :) )

I'm actually in the middle of "Zell's Love Quest", where he's courting the library girl, and they apparently spend the night together in Balamb.

Squall of SeeD
07-18-2005, 12:19 PM
You know, in the Japanese dialogue, he's not even eating hot dogs. It's bread. They changed it for the English dialogue.

FinalBob42
07-18-2005, 04:12 PM
Its really annoying when people start asking "OMG, is that ff character gay?!??!", especially when there's no evidence leading to the idea.

I did give evidence in the first few posts of the thread, although the one with the Library girl seems to be invalid.

crazybayman
07-18-2005, 04:51 PM

I did give evidence in the first few posts of the thread, although the one with the Library girl seems to be invalid.

So can exactly point out what leads people to believe he's homosexual?

Because people make fun of his strength? Seifer calls him chickenwuss because Seifer is just trying to pick on him. The fact that Zell fights with his fists alone instead of a weapon should erase any indication to him being weak. Also, one of the mechanics near the entrance of Balamb town says how Zell did 100 pull ups or something - a feat that surely shows strength (anyone who disagrees try to do as many pull ups as you can(chin-ups, wide grip, or whatever), and see how many you can do).

The fact that his room is neat just ties in with his martial arts background, because of the discipline required to be a martial artist (picture his sensei teaching him to be neat, and clean everything up after himself, as early lessons and practice in discipline). I couldn't help but notice all the guns on his bedroom wall, and punching bag, things that sterotypically signify machoness and manliess (its not like there were pictures of flowers, or other girly things in his room).

The fact that he visits his mom is probably because she lives by herself, and she's probably lonely, especially where she raised Zell, and probably misses him. Plus he's nearby, so why not do a good deed and stop by to say hi when he's in town.

As well, I don't see how he shows affection for Squall. He probably admires him, being the leader and all, and he was grateful because Squall saves Zells life in D-District Prison. Still no hinting at him being gay.

Although that link you gave gives lots of good information on Zell, there is still NO evidence that he might be even remotely gay. The fact that writer even hinted at this is off-base.

Destai
07-18-2005, 05:08 PM
hes probably bi.

TheAbominatrix
07-18-2005, 05:10 PM
I dont see how visiting one's mother makes one a homosexual. He loves his mother very much, and he seems to be one the few lucky enough to have a parent, especially one close by.

There's no evidence that Zell is gay, and he does seem to like the pigtailed girl, though doesnt pursue it. There's a bit going on in the sidequest scene.

Though of course, every guy who doesnt chase tail or flirt or whatever with every girl who is interested in him most like guys, yes?

Zell pays attention to Squall because he admires Squall and wants to be his friend. Selphie also pays him a lot of attention, yet clearly is not attracted to him. Irvine even looks up to and confides in Squall, as do a great number of Balamb Garden students.

FinalBob42
07-18-2005, 05:54 PM
So can exactly point out what leads people to believe he's homosexual?

I suppose the point of this thread was discussing what proves he's not homosexual once and for all. If he did in fact "do something" with the library girl in the sidequest, then that's that I suppose.

On the other hand, he does not seem to particullarly interested in the library girl upon first meeting her and still isn't in the ending FMV of the game.

Seifer calls him chickenwuss because Seifer is just trying to pick on him. The fact that Zell fights with his fists alone instead of a weapon should erase any indication to him being weak. Also, one of the mechanics near the entrance of Balamb town says how Zell did 100 pull ups or something - a feat that surely shows strength (anyone who disagrees try to do as many pull ups as you can(chin-ups, wide grip, or whatever), and see how many you can do).

The fact that his room is neat just ties in with his martial arts background, because of the discipline required to be a martial artist (picture his sensei teaching him to be neat, and clean everything up after himself, as early lessons and practice in discipline). I couldn't help but notice all the guns on his bedroom wall, and punching bag, things that sterotypically signify machoness and manliess (its not like there were pictures of flowers, or other girly things in his room).

By the way, the fact that there are "manly" items in his bedroom and he does 100 pull ups doesn't prove anything about him one way or another. There are many straight guys that do this kind of thing to impress the ladies or for brute strength, but homosexual guys tend to be muscular also.

FFVIII Fan
07-18-2005, 06:01 PM
there is no indication that zell is gay, so i certinly feel that the squaresoft didnt want him to be seen as gay

crazybayman
07-18-2005, 06:18 PM
On the other hand, he does not seem to particullarly interested in the library girl upon first meeting her and still isn't in the ending FMV of the game.

If you stay at the Balamb Hotel at the end of Zell's Love Quest, you wake up first thing in the morning, and find Zell missing. You do find him in the lobby with the Library Girl, which could lead one to believe that he spent the night with her, or at least spent some "Quality Time" with her.

And he is in the ending FMV with the library chick, as he eats his hotdogs. He's enjoying his hotdogs, while hanging out with his girlfriend.

By the way, the fact that there are "manly" items in his bedroom and he does 100 pull ups doesn't prove anything about him one way or another. There are many straight guys that do this kind of thing to impress the ladies or for brute strength, but homosexual guys tend to be muscular also.

I know that, I said "sterotypically" speaking. If Square wanted gamers to think that Zell was gay, they would have been much more blatant about it, dropping many hints, the blatant sterotypical kinds of hints that he is gay. Yes, the guns are a sign of machoness, and manliness, sterotypically speaking. If he was gay, I would say his room would be much more femine, he wouldn't have guns on his wall, or a punching bag, i.e. maybe it would be a more feminine colour. Of course there are gay people who like guns, and those who like martial arts, and being fit, but I mean "sterotypically". He just doesn't, in anyway, resemble a homosexual.

Future Esthar
07-18-2005, 06:35 PM
I made the sidequest and their dialoggue is not understandable.
How do you manage to make it understandable,Mo-Nercy?

* White Aeris *
07-18-2005, 06:45 PM
yeah... i spent ages trying to work out what they were saying last night...

boys from the dwarf
07-18-2005, 07:08 PM
i cant be bothered to read the thread all the way through but who briught up the idea that zells gay anyway.it doesnt need to be proven untrue because it already is.

ZuZu
07-18-2005, 07:15 PM
Never though that Zell would be gay...but he was more interested about Squall that girls :rolleyes2

"Squall, show me your gunblade, just a peek"

"Whoa, I'm with you"

Seriously, he's not gay...

Future Esthar
07-18-2005, 07:35 PM
Can someone give the entire dialogue please (If you can decipher it of course)?

The Anarchy Angel
07-19-2005, 06:47 PM
Zell's not gay anyway

Mercen-X
07-25-2005, 11:18 PM
did u actually do the side quest ur self?yup. It easy enough to do I think. I had Zell and Rinoa in my party and the next morning Zell came into the Balamb hotel where the other two were waiting or something like that. Its been years. I remember that. I didn't even realize it was part of a sidequest. I was curious as to why Zell was arriving at the hotel instead of exiting from the hotel. Romantic implications are not something I easily pick up on. If I don't see at least a kiss, I can't even fathom anything else going on.

bipper
07-26-2005, 01:02 AM
http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?p=1229297#post1229297

Just a half-baked thought on Zells tastes.

Bipper GOES!

NeoTifa
07-26-2005, 05:36 PM
zell aint ghey, hes dating the librarian

Jessweeee♪
07-26-2005, 08:11 PM
I doubt that square would make a gay character. You know how people are, they'll be ranting on about the game promoting homosexuality when it just has a gay character. THERE IS NOTHING GAY ABOUT EATING HOTDOGS!!! EVERYONE eats hotdogs! How many of you people have never had a hotdog in your life? IMO it would be stupid if everyone hooked up with someone and have a happy ending.

* White Aeris *
07-27-2005, 01:01 PM
i never thought Zell was gay......

sparkie
07-27-2005, 01:05 PM
I bet Future Esthar is behind this...

TheAbominatrix
07-27-2005, 01:30 PM

No, his theory would involve Zell being Rinoa's grandfather and having married Laguna who then traveled in time compression to become Ellone.

sparkie
07-27-2005, 01:34 PM

No, his theory would involve Zell being Rinoa's grandfather and having married Laguna who then traveled in time compression to become Ellone.

The scary part is he might take this seriously...

Big D
07-27-2005, 04:07 PM
You know, in the Japanese dialogue, he's not even eating hot dogs. It's bread. They changed it for the English dialogue.Then why's he eating a hot dog during the final FMV? It's clearly a hot dog that he tosses at Irvine's camera, not just a bread roll.

I don't think he spent the night with the library girl, he just ran off from the hotel room early and had a wee chat with her. Their conversation isn't that special, but you get to hear all of it by 'correctly' answering the library committee's 'Zell Quiz' earlier during the side-quest, and basically by doing everything you can to create interaction between the would-be couple. The hotel lobby chat is very harmless, though kinda cute. The librarian is glad to find Zell there, and she gives him an issue of Combat King magazine, as a gift, in the hope that he'll think of her when he reads it.