PDA

View Full Version : Star Ocean 3: Nel Zelpher, the best character?

yuffielover
07-18-2005, 02:10 AM
Hey, Nel fans, do you guys think Nel is the best character in Star Ocean 3? I think she is definitely the best character.

Lord Xehanort
07-18-2005, 02:27 AM
You obviously never got the memo. The characters are listed on the heirarchy:

Albel
Fayt
Cliff
Mirage
Nel
Sophia
Roger
Adray

Nel is mediocre at best.

TurkSlayer
07-18-2005, 06:55 AM
You obviously never got the memo. The characters are listed on the heirarchy:

Albel
Fayt
Cliff
Mirage
Nel
Sophia
Roger
Adray

Nel is mediocre at best.

I agree with his list except for the placement of Roger. I'd put him between Cliff and Mirage, and possibly switch the two around.

Anyway, yes, Nel was a rather mediocre character. Also, whats the name of the girl with shoes for weapons? She needs to be below Nel as well.

EDIT: Peppita. She needs to be somewhere near Adray.

Ultima Shadow
07-18-2005, 09:04 AM
You forgot about Maria, Ansem. She's a very powerful character. :greenie:

sephiroth9006
07-18-2005, 10:20 AM
nah maria is rather weak i though even at level 255, i found that she ahd no use whatsoever throughout the post game and the only upside to her ultimate weapon is that it can get you 10x's more fol when its updated but still.

i'd say that Albel and Fayt are tied for first myself even though fayts moves are pretty amature style,but he is the fastest character you get on your party,which in my opinion if you can get fayt guite a bit of atk behind him,that fayt becomes one of the best characters in the game......although you can do that with any one it looked as if it worked better with fayt.

other than that i'd say the fighter order is about right,but peppita should be at the very bottom,she is the most useless character you can ever hope to get hold of, i only got her this time through for the BTs that i needed,grr the urssa templs is really annoying.

Mercen-X
07-18-2005, 10:36 AM
Albel, Fayt, Cliff, Nel, I've never used anyone else and don't care to.
So far, I haven't even been given the chance to play as Mirage.
In my opinion, Adray, Roger, Peppita, Sophia, and Maria are not worthwhile characters.

For Fayt, I continually added +_% atk to a Holy Sword. (least, that's what I think it was called.) It's the only unique weapon in the game and I really like it. Glowy glass blade-thing. It's rather weak by itself, but it's one-of-a-kind as I can tell.

sephiroth9006
07-18-2005, 11:07 AM
no it wasn't....i think...as i remember the veinslay,leventine and the divine avenge had unique looks to them as well.
and veinslay is really one of the best weapons you can get for fayt,+900ATK and has 8 empt slotsa,pity you can only get it later isn't it......gee smithery was annoying.

Lord Xehanort
07-18-2005, 11:24 AM
Sorry guys, I forgot Maria Traitor and Peppita Rosetti. I put Cliff and Mirage one after another, though they're tied because they are completely identical. Maria comes after them because she makes up for lack of power with range and easily linkable combos.
Peppita goes right at the end with Roger and Adray. If I hear that little bastard talk about manhood again, I'll strangle him with his own tail.

Back to topic: What was it that made Nel so mediocre? Was it the 'my way or highway' attitude? Was it her lame stats?

Destai
07-18-2005, 02:21 PM
I liked Maria alot. I thought Nel had a mediocre personality and fighting style.

Aphelion
07-18-2005, 05:14 PM
Nel's strong and cool (though Maria's the coolest and Sophia's the cutest to me), so I end up using 5 party members: Fayt, Sophia, Cliff, Maria and Nel. Never bothered to use Albel, Mirage, Adray, Roger, Peppita...They're not cool, nor strong (except for Mirage, but I don't have the patience to train her...).

Mercen-X
07-18-2005, 08:15 PM
no it wasn't....i think...as i remember the veinslay,leventine and the divine avenge had unique looks to them as well.
Well, imo, the Holy Sword looked the coolest so I'll never surrender it.

Lord Xehanort
07-18-2005, 08:23 PM
Never bothered to use Albel... not cool, nor strong.

Do you have ANY idea what a false statement that is? Albel is the coolest character fool, and his swordsmanship can crush every enemy like a maggot, not that they aren't maggots... 'It doesn't matter how many maggots you've got, I'll crush them all!'

*hails Albel*

*was talking with reference to Albel.* (The 'fool' statement is not meant in seriousness)

Ultima Shadow
07-18-2005, 09:37 PM
'It doesn't matter how many maggots you send, I'll crush them all!'

*hails Albel*

Doesn't he say: "It doesn't matter how many maggots you've got, I'll crush them all!'?

Oh, well... anyways... yeah, Albel is probably the most powerful character in game when it comes to being fast and offensive. His "Long-Range Powerful attack" and "Short-Range Weak Attack" are both GODLY!!!

*joins Ansem in the Albel hailing*

Destai
07-18-2005, 09:51 PM
The only way I could come close to describing Albels personality is a swarm of flies around dog pie. I like the dress though. "rowr".

Aphelion
07-18-2005, 10:54 PM
Ansem, I considered your "fool statement" false from the beggining. :D No worries.

I'm only saying I don't like Albel very much. Okay, he may be strong, I admit it, but I don't think he's cool. His hair's okay, but those clothes...COME ON? How can you expect me to like someone who's dressed like a weakling? You'll have to agree with me on this one, fool...

*the fool statement is still false, by the way... :D *

sephiroth9006
07-18-2005, 11:56 PM
i already said that Albels could have had a change of cloths,i mean when i first saw him i thought he was a woman...but then again you could tell that he joins you by how much more detail is put into his face than the others in conference when fayt and cliff are put in the dungeons...
but still, Albel 9,999ATK and vampiric flash=godly.
though albel only had agility comparable to fayt he was still way stronger.

(people seem to forget that fayt is the fastest character that you can get hold of. which is why i nearly always keep him in my main party)

Alice
07-19-2005, 12:10 AM
my list goes nel, fayt, sophia... thats all i cared about in the game neways

Khaotic
07-19-2005, 12:19 AM
paper wise, as in statistics, nel is the strongest, she has the best MP attack, as well as the best HP attack out of all characters.

Well since topic says, best, and not favorite, Nel is the best character in the game. Whirlwind lvl 10 does the most damage, and Splitting Sky does the most MP damage.

Lord Xehanort
07-19-2005, 12:55 AM
I'm only saying I don't like Albel very much. Okay, he may be strong, I admit it, but I don't think he's cool. His hair's okay, but those clothes...COME ON? How can you expect me to like someone who's dressed like a weakling?

......Excuse me? *twitch* You... did NOT... just dis... the man-skirt, man-belly shirt and the man-leggings... Albel's clothes made him what he is...

Albel: The clothes allow freedom of movement, as any imbecile can see. Besides, if you don't like my outfit, fool, just earn the right to change it. That shouldn't be too hard, even for a maggot such as you!

Yeah... if you get enough Battle Trophies to change outfits, and you get a certain one of Albel's cards, he can wear pants. *hails Albel more*

paper wise, as in statistics, nel is the strongest, she has the best MP attack, as well as the best HP attack out of all characters.

Yeah... too bad her defense sucked ass and her AI didn't fight well.

Mercen-X
07-19-2005, 01:44 AM
imo, Nel is only useful when equipped with those inherited blades. They may be weak, but they give her better attacks.

TurkSlayer
07-19-2005, 07:38 AM
Ansem, I considered your "fool statement" false from the beggining. :D No worries.

I'm only saying I don't like Albel very much. Okay, he may be strong, I admit it, but I don't think he's cool. His hair's okay, but those clothes...COME ON? How can you expect me to like someone who's dressed like a weakling? You'll have to agree with me on this one, fool...

*the fool statement is still false, by the way... :D *

Explain exactly how he "dresses like a weakling"? What does a weakling dress like? Albel is the coolest and one of the most useful characters in the game.

*Joins the bow down*

BTW, I can't believe i hadn't realized Maria wasn't on the list. Personalitywise, she's one of my favorite characters. But I admit, she's not great in battle.

Ultima Shadow
07-19-2005, 08:55 AM
Ok, Albel's 3th set of clothes are the coolest in the whole freaking game... so no, he doesn't dress like a wimp. :p

Also, Nel's Whirlwind is not "the best". It's only "capable of being the best" since it may hit as much as 50 times, if I recall correctly. If you make the attack do 50,000+ with every hit, then yes, it's the most "powerful"... BUT its range is not that great + all the really, really tough bosses have either Wind Resistance or Wind Immunity... wich means that it either only will do half dammage or no dammage at all. Half dammage is usually the case. So while it CAN be the most dammaging move, it's still far from "the best".

But I admit, she's not great in battle.I guess you've never got Maria's Gravity Bullet and final move, which I can't remember what it's called. But seriously... if used correctly, Maria's AWESOME in battle. Her only true let down is her speed.

sephiroth9006
07-19-2005, 09:49 AM
NO WAY does splitting sky do the most MP damage,if i remember right it is either aerial assult, or vampiric flash that does the most MP damage....probably vampiric flash, whirlwind sucked it was the most devistaingly c*ap move i have ever seen in my eintire life.(well maybe except fariae frined...)
her divine wrath move was actually good...but other than the fact that she's third fastest character in the game she sucks..

gravity bullet is actually a great move, and about the only move that makes maria usable, her other move laser blast wasn't it?wasn't that good...

Mirage is good because she is slightly faster than cliff and usuable...not that cliff wasn't unusable..but mirages blazing cannon is better than cliffs max shockwave which is what finished things off for me.

Ultima Shadow
07-19-2005, 06:36 PM
NO WAY does splitting sky do the most MP damage,if i remember right it is either aerial assult, or vampiric flash that does the most MP damage....probably vampiric flash, whirlwind sucked it was the most devistaingly c*ap move i have ever seen in my eintire life.(well maybe except fariae frined...)
her divine wrath move was actually good...but other than the fact that she's third fastest character in the game she sucks..

gravity bullet is actually a great move, and about the only move that makes maria usable, her other move laser blast wasn't it?wasn't that good...
Splitting sky actually does a lot of MP dammage... but I think Maria is the one with the most MP dammaging move. Vampiric Flash is absolutely not the most MP dammaging move. The fact that it absorbs the HP and MP is what makes it great. The dammage itself is very good but not great and far from the best.

Nel's whirlwind is far from useless. Its a very powerful move if you know when to use it. It's far from the best, but absolutely not even close to being useless. Nel is not a straight forward fighter, but a pretty balanced, half-support and half-fighter, character. While she's not as good as many of the other characters, she really doesn't suck either and she do have some really good moves.

Maria is, in my oppinion, one of the most useful characters because of her ability to lock enemies in combos and do dammage from distance. She's also not a straight forward fighter, but her ability to shoot with guns means that she doesn't have to switch distance to the enemy when switching between support and offense, like Nel do. But she's a great close combat fighter too. Tripple Kick is actually very powerful. Gravity Bullet is pure awesomness, and her final move, that gigantic beam-thing is simply AMAZING! Both HP and MP dammage are crazy if you manage to hit with the whole beam.

sephiroth9006
07-19-2005, 11:33 PM
admittedly her gravity bullet is a good move, but i don't like maria she's too slow, mirage has triple kick as well and she's better than maria.
vampiric flash,when albel had ATKabove the1,000 mark, is one of the most damaging moves that Hit MP. when he hits 9,999 mark, he does roughly 4,000MP per second the enem stays in range, making it incredably damaging.

as for the huge beam move, i prefer fayts move where he fires a huge beam, ethereal blast.....Although oddly i found adray usable....imagine that, i hate people like maria but i can use adray...dunno why, i just can.

Ultima Shadow
07-20-2005, 03:11 AM
admittedly her gravity bullet is a good move, but i don't like maria she's too slow, mirage has triple kick as well and she's better than maria.
vampiric flash,when albel had ATKabove the1,000 mark, is one of the most damaging moves that Hit MP. when he hits 9,999 mark, he does roughly 4,000MP per second the enem stays in range, making it incredably damaging.

as for the huge beam move, i prefer fayts move where he fires a huge beam, ethereal blast.....Although oddly i found adray usable....imagine that, i hate people like maria but i can use adray...dunno why, i just can.
I actually prefere Maria to Mirage. But that's just me. :p

Well, I guess you've never tried Maria's beam move when her Attack is 9999, right? Doing 4000MP dammage per second is nothing compared to that. She'll do like 2000-3000MP dammage per 1/4 second. :p

Oh, and Ethereal Blast sucks. Now THAT'S a useless move! It's powerful but nothing compared to the best moves. And it's so darn slow that its speed almost can be compared to Meteor Swarm. Meteor Swarm is better, though and can be done at longer distance. :greenie:

Lord Xehanort
07-20-2005, 03:19 AM
Oh, and Ethereal Blast sucks. Now THAT'S a useless move! It's powerful but nothing compared to the best moves. And it's so darn slow that its speed almost can be compared to Meteor Swarm. Meteor Swarm is better, though and can be done at longer distance. :greenie:

Ethereal Blast is slow... but powerful. If you have Albel use Vampiric Flash to hold the enemies in place for a bit, then let them have it with Ethereal Blast.

Oh, BTW, what are these 'best moves'? I've never heard of most of them. I just used Vampiric Flash, Palm of Destruction, Dragon Roar, Dimension Door and Side Kick.

Ultima Shadow
07-20-2005, 03:43 AM
Ethereal Blast is slow... but powerful. If you have Albel use Vampiric Flash to hold the enemies in place for a bit, then let them have it with Ethereal Blast.

Oh, BTW, what are these 'best moves'? I've never heard of most of them. I just used Vampiric Flash, Palm of Destruction, Dragon Roar, Dimension Door and Side Kick.
It's too slow. Yes, I know it's powerful... but since it's so slow, you'll almost be able to do the same amount of dammage with less powerful moves and normal attacks in the same amount of time + you don't take the risk to "get hit once and have everything ruined". Ok, saying that Meteor Swarm is more powerful is not true. But its reach is as good as it's possible to get and it's used by a character who's not meant to be offensive anyways so... bleh. But seriously... Etheral Blast is far too slow and risky to be worth the effort.

When I said "the best moves" I didn't mean the most useful, but the most dammaging moves. All the good "ultimate moves" like Blazing Cannon and Maria's super beam-thing etc. Out of the ultimate moves, Etheral Blast is without a doubt one of the least useful.

Oh, well... I guess it depends a bit on your fighting style. I guess everyone have different strategies. But to me, Etheral Blast is one of the least useful, and maybe even THE least useful ultimate move. Powerful, but it would have to be twice as powerful to make up for the cost, speed and reach.

Khaotic
07-20-2005, 04:29 AM

Nel does the most MP damage.

As for maria, her Magnetic field can help you kill things quickly. Basically I just run into the enemies, use it, they get paralyzed + doing 40,000+ damage(which I dont see how this is bad) and I use it again within seconds, doubling to 80, then 120, ect in seconds time, so I dont see how shes weak. My maria has 9999 atk, she uses pulse blast, then cancel bonuses magnetic field in a 300% cancel bonus she does around 400,000 damage total, magnetic field doing 99,999 and pulse blast shots doing between 10,000 each through 20,000 each.

sephiroth9006
07-20-2005, 12:06 PM
that's strange cause my maria also has 9,999ATK, and she doesn't do anywhere near that much.. i thought that ethereal blast was quite good, seeing as how the AI on this game makes the enemies stupid enough it run into it....but then again your allies are even worse doing this so...
as for combining move to hold an enemy in one place, ethereal blast, vampiric flash then into blazing canon.

that on freya halfs the difficulty, but these are my veiws and styles of fighting, maria just didn't help me at all, she is very slow, and her attacks did bugger all...even at level 255....well theres my veiw. :p

Ultima Shadow
07-20-2005, 05:51 PM
Nel does the most MP damage.

As for maria, her Magnetic field can help you kill things quickly. Basically I just run into the enemies, use it, they get paralyzed + doing 40,000+ damage(which I dont see how this is bad) and I use it again within seconds, doubling to 80, then 120, ect in seconds time, so I dont see how shes weak. My maria has 9999 atk, she uses pulse blast, then cancel bonuses magnetic field in a 300% cancel bonus she does around 400,000 damage total, magnetic field doing 99,999 and pulse blast shots doing between 10,000 each through 20,000 each.
Yeah, I checked yesterday. The total MP dammage done by Splittering Sky is better than any other move. However, it's the fact that this move, just like Whirl Wind, is wind-elemental that may make it less powerful because of resistance and immunity. Also, Marias Energy Burst, which is the second most MP dammaging move, is faster.

Yes, that's about how powerful my Maria is as well. Energy Burst is actually my personal fav skill. :cool:

Crictical MP + 9999 attack + 300% chain bonus + Energy Burst= Kick the MP out of anyone's ass.

That Maria's slow is her ONLY weakness. But by collecting bunny stuff and add speed+30% to her equipment, you can actually make her pretty fast.

ps: sephiroth9006, if Ethereal Blast works good for you, then use it. It's just that in my opinion, it's far too slow to be useful. :p

Also... I only use Vampiric Flash to heal. Albels normal attack moves are what makes him so powerful, not his special skills. MP dammage linked to short-weak is actually a much better way to do MP dammage with Albel then using Vampiric Flash. :cool:

Sion E Atlasia
07-25-2005, 11:22 AM
[QUOTE=Khaotic]
That Maria's slow is her ONLY weakness. But by collecting bunny stuff and add speed+30% to her equipment, you can actually make her pretty fast.

I hope you aren't serious about that.

Ultima Shadow
07-25-2005, 02:43 PM
I hope you aren't serious about that.
I'm serious. Ok, she's not pretty fast... but atleast fast enough. :p

Also... if used properly, you don't need to move her around that much in battle except using dodge every now and then.

Sion E Atlasia
07-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Maria's dodge works a lot faster for me. So i basically use that to move around the map. Her regular movement i barely use, if only to face an enemy so i can sidestep out of the way.

I use to put the +30% Movement Rate on her weapon, but soon took that off since it wasen't needed at all. It dosen't effect the sidestep, so i replaced it with something more useful.

Talen
04-26-2009, 01:24 PM
My team is always fayt, cliff and albel. Fayt and Albel are amazingly fast and their long/short range attacks are fantastic-i mean, you can beat a 200,000 HP boss by spamming side kick, and cliff...well...he's just amusing :D and strong. Maria =_= ugh i remember having to use her in the Shrine of Kaddan, her speed, or lack of it, almost got me killed >< Nel was a really good character but she didn't have the speed of the other characters on my team, i dropped her after she MP killed herself, and it wasn't a boss fight =_=" i still like her as a character though ^^

Zeromus_X
04-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Please don't revive threads that are four years old. In the future, make sure to look at the dates of previous posts in the thread before posting. Thanks!