PDA

View Full Version : Legend Of Dragoon

yuffielover
07-18-2005, 03:07 AM
This is a thread for the game Legend Of Dragoon. I think that this game was awesome, in fact it was one of the best RPG's of all-time, probably in the top 5. The characters were great, as well as the graphics, and the voice acting. I loved Meru 100%, she was a beautiful energetic wingly.

Black Mage
07-18-2005, 03:45 AM
I'm afraid I disagree with you on all accounts.

I thought the RPG was terrible, had a horrible plot, terribly written dialogue, annoying and unlikable [not to mention hardly developed] characters, decent music, and the voice acting lacked any emotion. Of course, it's hard to make an indolent line sound good. The graphics were nice, but graphics weigh very little in how enjoyable a game, especially an RPG, is to me.

Of course, this is only my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

XxSephirothxX
07-18-2005, 03:47 AM
I haven't played it, but all the reviews I've seen, and the opinions of most people I know who are good judges of games, for the most part, point to "bad."

Markus. D
07-18-2005, 05:10 AM
people follow a trend of hating this game, i belive that this game was magnificent.

rose and king albert were my faveorite characters.

the music in this game is awesome and the voice acting was a nice suprise :)
the story was absalutely overwhelmingly perfect, wouldnt change anything, they come in with everything at just the right time.

and the battle system for me was perfect (ie. spell items, additions, dragoon transformations, dragoon additions, dragoon spells, enemies formations, bosses)

my faveorite boss battles were Urobolos (liked its two attacking strategies), Feyrbrand (this battle was fun), Dragoon Doel (awesome fun), Grand Jewel (took me alot of attempts) and the virages (IT WAS FUN AND HAD GOOD BATTLE MUSIC).

they made everything in this game perfect... the only thing i question is the horses.

edit: i cant forget to add in the arena fight with Lloyd :)... even though you lose.

edit: i never got through to the fourth disk because of the divine dragon, is it true that disk four is the best of all of the disks?

kikimm
07-18-2005, 05:18 AM
Oh, God, this game again? I'm really sorry, but I hate the Legend of Dragoon. Yes, all 3 times I tried to play it.

I think it's horrible, personally, for the same reasons Black Mage said. It's cliche, lacks any real depth; I cared not one bit for any of the characters. I wasn't impressed with the music, either. That wouldn't be a big deal if it was a good game, but here it just brings it further down. The voice acting was also very uninspired, in my opinion.

Battle system was good, though. Althuogh there was a few "combos" I could never get and it really pissed/pisses me off. >=O!

But other than that, worst 10 bucks I ever spent. :monster:

:D

TheAbominatrix
07-18-2005, 05:20 AM
tsukasa, I find it a bit insulting that you accuse others of following a trend of disliking the game. We, like yourself, have formed our own opinions and we, like yourself, have our own likes and dislikes.

And I, personally, thought it was one of the worst RPGs I have ever played. The plot was choked with cliches, the characters were two-dimensional (and I mean personality, not graphics) and just as cliche' ridden as the story, the battle system was downright horrid, the music would have been better if compsed by a drunken smelly man named Phil on a drum machine (and I do love Phil), and overall, it was downright boring.

Not to mention all the hype around it, about how many years and how many people they had working on it... but I suppose the old adage is true "too many chefs spoil the broth". They all seemed liked they worked seperately and threw in their stuff together, making a jumbled mix of horrid gameplay and an even worse story. I can say, at least, that the character designs were neat, and the battle system (while bad) was at least attempting to be innovative in a genre stuck on holding down the confirm button until the battle is over.

Doomie
07-18-2005, 05:26 AM
Eww, no. Reasons?

- Horrible storyline, plotholes around every corner. The plots for some parts of the game were so stupid.
- Very clichéd. Predictable scenes.
- Horrible music. Seriously. I especially hated that HERO music that played.
- Graphics and moments in the game that can send someone into an epileptic shock. The Dragoon transformations can do that.
- Kongol can only get his Dragoon much later in the game.
- No good sidequests.
- Crappy Magic System.

The only thing I liked in this game was the combos. You actually had to work to deal damage.

Dragoon Kain
07-18-2005, 06:18 AM
actually you can get kongols dragoon early. go back to lohan and the guy who sold you the bottle will give it to you.

Samuraid
07-18-2005, 06:26 AM
I have the game, new, still in the wrapper, sitting with some other games and CDs...I should play it sometime. ;)

Excelsior
07-18-2005, 07:04 AM
It was ok. I've played worse FF games.

Mercen-X
07-18-2005, 07:15 AM
Well, although I agree with Black Mage a lot on this, I don't actually think it was a HORRIBLE RPG. S'okay for what it was, or, tried to be.

I agree, the dialogue sucked. I agree, the characters were unlikable: Dart was whiny, Meru was Aeris-annoying, Rose was a bitch, Albert's a rich kid who replaces some guy I can't remember, and . . . I can't even remember the others.

The voice-acting was a nice surprise. Unfortunately, they forgot vocal-coaches.

Dart and Rose looked the coolest. I'd have to say that Dart, Rose, and Albert had the best attacks.

The story was far from perfect and the plot was painfully slow.

The combo system was cool, as were most of the attacks (Dragoon powers included). Some of the spells were lame-looking and did little damage though you'd receive them at points in the game when you required more power.

I kinda liked how most battles ended with Dart somehow finishing off the bosses. It seemed slightly like a show.

This is the game I spent 45 minutes in destroying the final boss. On other threads, I claimed it was eight hours, but I was exaggerating to emphasize a point. In my opinion, no boss should be so difficult you spend 45 minutes defeating them. I was kinda hyped having to use every item in stock and every opportunity at transforming. It did manage to make the final battles in FF7 look like chump battles.

Personally, I have no problems with the cliches. Every RPG is cliched. No matter the title, an RPG can only manage a few unique innovations and everything else is a cliche. Actually, sometimes these "cliches" are just things that have been done once or twice before and because a gamer has seen it done and it is not totally original, they label it as a cliche. I've seen this a few times, not many mind you as most gamers are fluent enough gamewise to know the difference.

The whole thing though was just too long and there were points when it was more than a little dissinteresting.

TheAbominatrix
07-18-2005, 07:18 AM
Yes, most games have a good dose of cliches, but really, this one seemed to have nothing but. Most everything has been done before, but at the very least other games seem to make an effort to do things either a little different or do their cliches really well, LoD did neither. It was just too predictable.

Mercen-X
07-18-2005, 07:21 AM
I forgot. I now own the game. I bought it sometime last year and have never opened it. It's sitting on a shelf right beside me as I type this . . . . . . . . . . . I'm gonna go play Tekken.

Dreddz
07-18-2005, 09:37 AM
I made a thread about this and the signs were to no in getting it
Am I following a crowd, maybe ?
But I'd rather do that then waste my money

Mitch
07-18-2005, 10:22 AM
I LOVE this game! Great battles, great characters, great story.

I love the way the battles get you involved, rather than just pressing 'attack'. and the dragoon thing is the coolest.

pity i don't have it anymore

meowwl
07-18-2005, 10:50 AM
I personally like the game, even if it is indeed full of cliches, and has a silly, sappy kind of storyline. I loved the tricky battle system, and the music (Ok, I have a weakness for etherial choral things like the opening song). After the first time or two, set the dragoon transformations to short, and it's not nearly so annoying. A turbo controller takes care of that pesky multi thing with the items. The things I didn't like were small things like the fact that you couldn't shorten the magic effects and Lavitz and Lloyd both die. That the demons gate dropped out from between Rose's legs..Eww! And the end was so sad.

Ryudo, Zell's evil twin
07-18-2005, 11:23 AM
legend of dragoon rules i just recently completed it ok so it was a bit easy but the ending is one of the best ive ever seen and i like the battle system additions rule i like the characters and the storylines better than the average rpg only the ff games and grandia so far i think are better im still lookin for vandal hearts 1+2 really want them games

black orb
07-18-2005, 12:15 PM
>>> I really want to play this game now..

Doomie
07-18-2005, 02:18 PM
actually you can get kongols dragoon early. go back to lohan and the guy who sold you the bottle will give it to you.

You can't get Kongol's dragoon early simply because you don't get Kongol until the second disk, where it's too late to return to Lohan because there's no way back. Now you have to wait until ou reach the Law City Zenebatos to get your crappy imitation for an airship.

Phil
07-18-2005, 06:58 PM
the music would have been better if compsed by a drunken smelly man named Phil on a drum machine (and I do love Phil), and overall, it was downright boring.

Yay somebody loves me!
Honestly, I played a little of this game. I thought it was mediocre at best. The fact that there was an arrow over your head telling you when there was a random battle was stupid. They are supposed to catch you off gaurd, thus making the game harder. The beginning of the story line sucked. I dont even know how the plot goes. I just remember some burning village. The characters designs were un-insipired for the most part. Basic guy with sword. Basic guy with spear. Basic girl with bow and arrow, basic large guy with axe. Un-inspired if you ask me. But thats just my opinion. Honestly, they should pay you to play this game.

Mercen-X
07-18-2005, 07:35 PM
meowwl reminds me. I also used a Turbo Controller for the spell items.

Sephex
07-18-2005, 08:17 PM
One of my friends really enjoyed this game, but I could never finish it. I just can't get into it.

Fate Fatale
07-18-2005, 08:28 PM
Frickin AWESOME game!!!!
Why you ask?
- Beautiful storyline. Certain quests were more magnificent than the frist.
- Very suspenseful. Unpredictable scenes.
- Terriffic music. I especially loved that HERO music that played.
- Frickin awsome dragoon changes
- You get evryone's dragoon spirit before the 3rd disk
- Cool sidequests
- No Magic System

I"m so mad that my disk 2 is messed up now. Everytime I defeat the water dragon to get meru's dragoon spirit it give the EXP and then goes to an eternal black screen.

You can't get Kongol's dragoon early simply because you don't get Kongol until the second disk, where it's too late to return to Lohan because there's no way back. Now you have to wait until ou reach the Law City Zenebatos to get your crappy imitation for an airship.

It's called walking!

Freya
07-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Oie i loved this game! i loved how you had more control over the battles with additions.

I loved this game i thought it was great but hey everyone's got thier opinions. I mean some poeple hated some ff's some loved them. It's really different tatses.

I think you should go buy it or at least rented it if youv'e never played it. Then you can see how you like it yourself.

Markus. D
07-19-2005, 02:39 AM
i looked on gamefaqs for reviews on this game, all of them exept one is over 6/10.

hmmm... heres a question, who could perfectly perform whip smack? :) :)

Cruise Control
07-19-2005, 02:52 AM
Me! I found the 5th hit in demons dance tricky though...
The only thing I hated was the number of disks, if one of them gets mortally wounded, game over buddy.

Dragoon Kain
07-19-2005, 03:03 AM

sorry chief wrong again. you can walk back and forth between the areas thus allowing you to return to lohan to get it.

Wiegrahf42
07-19-2005, 03:05 AM
Everyone else has stated the reasons why I hate this game but I must still put in my two cents. The whole formula can be summed up with one phrase: "Go Go Power rangers!'

Necronopticous
07-19-2005, 03:42 AM
I remember playing this game for about 20 minutes at a store kiosk displaying the PSX+LCD screen combo and the whole time I was thinking "Holy ****, I've got to get my hands on this PSX+LCD screen!"

Excelsior
07-19-2005, 04:18 AM
I remember playing this game for about 20 minutes at a store kiosk displaying the PSX+LCD screen combo and the whole time I was thinking "Holy ****, I've got to get my hands on this PSX+LCD screen!"

holy crap, now that you mention it, I remember that too. daaaymn. :eek:

Markus. D
07-20-2005, 02:25 AM

sorry chief wrong again. you can walk back and forth between the areas thus allowing you to return to lohan to get it.

mhmm, absalutely correct.