PDA

View Full Version : The Odyssey

GooeyToast
07-18-2005, 10:24 AM
2001 A Space Odyssey: One of the best sci-fi films of all time, and with good reason. Kubrick once again showed us why he's one of the great filmmakers of all time.

First off, the music is terrific. The orchestral score fits the slow moving space shots perfectly. In fact, Kubrick originally planned to use an original score, but changed his mind shortly after the release of the film, opting to go with classical instead.

Then you have the special effects. My god are they incredible (considering the movie's time period). In fact, they easily rival Star Wars, which came out a good 9 yrs later.

The story is also terrific. HAL is a great character, as well as Dave and co. Sure some may be bored by the pace the movie takes, but that all changes at the end, trust me. ;)

I also really liked how Kubrick incorperated the idea of life moving in a cycle. At the end, when the Starchild is floating above the Earth, it shows the next-step of human evolution, which evolved from monkey, to human, then to spacechild. Of cpurse, this was all thanks to the Monoliths.

So what do you think of this movie?

I personally <3 it, even if there are still parts that i cannot fully understand.

~Keep it gooey~

ThroneofDravaris
07-18-2005, 03:11 PM
Finally, someone who didn’t think this movie was a waste of time simply because they couldn’t understand it. Maybe this world isn’t filled with idiots…

This movie forms the basis of almost all ‘true’ science fiction since its release, I don’t see who anyone could dislike this movie!

It was also nice to see some romantic music incorporated into the film, Strauss really does a lot for this movie

Destai
07-18-2005, 03:26 PM
Isnt that the movie where the Mona Liza was burned in the opening or something? Maybe Im thinking of some other movie that was supposedly brilliant but was never overly popular.

Dreddz
07-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Good movie
Not Kubricks best work, I prefered Full Metal Jacket

GooeyToast
07-19-2005, 12:41 AM
All of his work is great.

You just have to appreciate it for what it is.

~Keep it gooey~

Del Murder
07-19-2005, 01:39 AM
This was a good movie, and the book by Homer was good too, though the two are completely unrelated.

What are you doing Dave...

GooeyToast
07-19-2005, 02:42 AM
Classic line.

They imitadted it in the Trapper Keeper South Park episode of course.

~Keep it gooey~

Wiegrahf42
07-19-2005, 02:52 AM
It's supposedly the most realistic Sci Fi movie ever, though I have trouble swallowing the Dave could survive that half second or so exposed to space without any ill affects.
But I digress, It's a great movie.

-N-
07-19-2005, 03:27 AM
You can survive up to 20 seconds, I believe.

I loved this movie, but I think I loved the book more. I'm not sure. Both are pretty brilliant works of imaginative minds in their own media, so I won't compare. I also felt this had a worthy sequel in 2010, but I'm not so sure about 2061.

Necronopticous
07-19-2005, 03:39 AM
I was hoping this would be about Final Fantasy Odyssey.

Anyway, yeah I'm a big fan of Kubrick. 2001 was an amazing film, though I tend to be more obsessed with his later and less monumental works. Eyes Wide Shut is one of my favorite movies of all time.

GooeyToast
07-19-2005, 06:46 AM
I need to read the book. A lot of people say its even better than the movie.

I was hoping this would be about Final Fantasy Odyssey.

Sorry to dissapoint you.

~Keep it gooey~