PDA

View Full Version : What the galaxy?

ShunNakamura
07-18-2005, 01:19 PM
Not having computer luck as of late that I can tell ya.

My dad just sat all our old HD's in one comp(our server) and since we had talked about it before I reached in to grab one to use with my freinds comp(he has so many soft probs it ain't funny.. that and they want the info backed up.. and I felt like being nice). Whilst I was at it I decided I could push a couple of cables aside to look at how the floppy was hooked up. My freinds floppy has troubles, so I thought if it would go in and out easy I could borrow it for a bit.

Anyways went to turn back on the comp(didn't wanna steel the floppy.. found one in the garage) nothing happend. No power is going through at all. wtf? I checked the power supply to mother baord connector - fine. I also didn't pull out the wire to the power switch (at least not ot my knowledge. But it won't do anything. no flickering of the lights no noise.. jsut sits their dead. :cry:

Man... not a good start to a day.

ShunNakamura
07-18-2005, 01:36 PM
Never mind I checked the power supply. It went out. Hook up my freinds desktop power supply and we are a go... hook up mine.. and meh.. nothing... Dad ain't going to like this.. that makes two powersupplys that have gone out in roughly 2yrs.. and it may have been the same comp.. don't remember.. :rolleyes2

MoonZapdos
07-18-2005, 01:39 PM
Avoid double-posting please.

Next time hit the warn button and we'll take care of it.

~Void

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-18-2005, 07:17 PM
Problem solved, thread closed.

crono_logical
07-18-2005, 10:00 PM
*reopens*

I'd like to point out you might be overworking the power supplies if you've got lots of HDs in one machine, which could explain why they die so quickly.

How many do you have in there exactly? If it's more than 2, I'd suggest considering a power supply more powerful than a standard 300W, they might last longer then :p

Yamaneko
07-19-2005, 01:16 AM
500W is becoming the new standard, especially among the gaming community.

CloudSquallandZidane
07-19-2005, 04:33 AM
500W is becoming the new standard, especially among the gaming community.

agreed.

Samuraid
07-19-2005, 04:38 AM
500W is far more than most computers need however. (although 2 high end nVidia cards in SLI would probably do well with that much power)

500W is closer to dual-cpu server requirements (which on average is between 480W to 550W)

ShunNakamura
07-19-2005, 08:58 AM
Well we just have the HD's setting in there.. they aren't connected.

You see most of our desktops.. we don't even bother with the case covers. It is open to the air(prevents some heat issues as well as allows us to change parts as desired and needed.. and whilst we don't do it much now.. we used to always be switching parts here and there).

What is connected is-
1 20GB HD(I think)
1 Floppy disk
1 CD ROM(an old one at that)
1 64MB ATI ALL-IN-WONDER card
1 Wake-on-Lan card(think it was a wake on lan anyways).

It's a 250 Watt power supply, with 10a/15a/10a on the rails(3.3v/5v/12v).

And anyways I always heard that the Amps on the rails were the important part(something about 350-400W is almost always enough.. but the rails don't always carry enough amps).

Samuraid
07-20-2005, 01:26 AM
Yeah, I've run a pentium 3, 2 HDD, agp video, dvd burner and cdrw, soundcard, NIC on a 250W power supply without putting substantial load on the p/s so given what you have, at least 300W should be fine.

ShunNakamura
07-20-2005, 10:19 PM
I think that is what dad is prolly looking at. Not like it will hurt us much we were looking at getting a new desktop.. sorta faultered out when dad realized that the parts were starting to add up fast.

hey.. he said to make sure it would be a good computer :P. But.. man monitors are more expensive then I realized.