PDA

View Full Version : JAPAN WAS FRICKIN' AWESOME!

Social Moon Firesky
07-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Whoooooooo! I've just recovered from jet-lag (That sucked BIG time!) and I'm gonna try and recount my tales from Japan. It's gonna be difficult though, 'cos of all the things we did. To make it easier on me, please PM me any questions you have, otherwise I'll get confused and I'll have to back-track, and THAT'S NOT GOOD, PEOPLE!

First off, Japan was hot, but not as hot as Spain, which was good. It was comfortably hot. Secondly, all the people were really nice, despite most of them not talking fluent English. I only met a handful of people who spoke fluent English, and they were reverred to like a holy saint. And I surprised a lot of my home stay families by talking Japanese.

Home stay families:
Ebetsu, Sapporo - My family was lovely! They were the first family I stayed with, and they had 5 kids; 3 daughters and 2 sons. I loved the kids so much, and have officially adopted them all! :D They were all younger than me, which made them even more cute!

I missed a day with them though, 'cos of really bad weather at Heathrow, which meant that our flight was delayed 3 hours, and we had to spend the night in a hotel. When we finally arrived in Sapporo, my Japanese friend Shiho (Headmistress of the school we visited) launched herself at me and gave me a massive hug! I felt so loved! :)

The first few hours with my home stay mother, Naomi, were really awkward, as she didn't speak any English, and I couldn't understand her Japanese, so we just sat in silence. Then she picked up her eldest son, Kenji (12), who could actually speak a little English, and after that, everything went swimmingly.

We went to a pachinko centre (Slot machines, pinball, etc.) and played at the slots, and then got puri-kura (Mini photos) done! It was excellent! (I'll scan them at some point) Then we went home and Kenji and I went off to meet his little sister, Chiaki. I had to ride a scooter...Ho-hum. The less said about that, the better. I did fall off at one point, and ended up with 2 fat old bruises on both my legs. Owies...:cry:

Chiaki (8) was so cute! We went and played dodgeball with her and her friends at the local park, and then we climbed about on the climbing frames! All the kids were about 8 or 9, so I felt at home playing with them. :) I took pictures of the park's 'Japanese-style' toilet, and you literally have to see it to believe it. It's like a very advanced squat loo. (Pictures will be provided at a later date)

After a while, we went home and I met Yuichi (9) and Chiharu (10) Chisato (13) came home from school with her report card, and her mother showed it to me and was completely shocked because of all the 'akaten' (Bad marks) I explained that my report cards always looked like that, and we had a good laugh about it all. We then ate dinner, and watched TV for a while (VERY INTERESTING! I :<3: Japanese comedy! :D) Afterwards, I had a shower and then the dad came home and I introduced myself and went to bed.

Well, that's all for today! More will be posted whenever, and I'll probably edit this at some point and add a bit more on, as soon as I remeber what I did. :)

Destai
07-19-2005, 12:27 PM
Thta sounds like so much fun. Like something you'll never forget. Keep postig as much as you can : ) (AND SHOW US PICTURES if you have any!1)

ZuZu
07-19-2005, 12:33 PM
Oh, I want definetely hear more Kitty!
Karaoke-Kitty! :D

And where is my smelling japanese fish? :mad:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Did you score?

Shlup
07-19-2005, 12:46 PM
I, uhm... My friend got me cheesecake Pocky from Japan last week...

I wanna go to Japan. :weep:

KuRt
07-19-2005, 12:56 PM
That is one BIG reason why the kids were nice because they were younger. :rolleyes2

Hawkeye
07-19-2005, 03:53 PM
Did you score?
Heh heh, he he he, hehe heh, sthcore...

crashNUMBERS
07-19-2005, 03:54 PM
Yeeeeess!!!!!! Your back!!

faster skating penguin
07-19-2005, 04:14 PM
I'm moving there after high school.

.... far too long to wait ...

Zeldy
07-19-2005, 04:47 PM
TEH YAYNESS! well it sounds like you had a super-duper time :)
I love Foreign Names!! There so.. cool! especially Japanese names :<3:

CaZ!
07-19-2005, 05:18 PM
wow that souns so cool i wish i could go to japan

Flying Mullet
07-19-2005, 05:20 PM
Did you have any seizures after playing Pachinko? I had the worst headache after playing Pachinko from the noise, lights and cigarette smoke.

The Anarchy Angel
07-19-2005, 05:26 PM
japan loks like it would rock /._.\ man i wish i had money....was older...the list continues

Shoeberto
07-19-2005, 06:18 PM
That sounds like it was a lot of fun. I'd love to visit Japan someday.

Necronopticous
07-19-2005, 06:22 PM
Did you eat lots of Okonamiyaki and Shabu Shabu?

faster skating penguin
07-19-2005, 06:26 PM
Did you have any seizures after playing Pachinko? I had the worst headache after playing Pachinko from the noise, lights and cigarette smoke.

I have a pachinko machine. Haven't played it in ages ...

Psychotic
07-19-2005, 06:34 PM
Japan WAS frickin' awesome? How is it now?

Xander
07-19-2005, 09:42 PM
That sounds so fun! I've love to hear more, and see pictures!

I hope you went to the Pokemon Center >=O

Meat Puppet
07-19-2005, 09:44 PM
Japan keeps eating all my friends, like a giant Japanese monster. IN THE OCEAN.

StarlightAngel
07-19-2005, 09:47 PM
Cool! I wanna go to Japan sometime in my life ^^

Aphelion
07-19-2005, 10:26 PM
I want to go there too. Someday...(when I get rich, which means, uh...well, you got it)

It must have been definitely fun. :D

Pauten
07-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Ahh i'm heading out there myself in a few weeks. Tell me SMF, is it as expensive as westerners make out?

Destai
07-19-2005, 10:45 PM
Did you go to Okinawa? I hear its at its best this time f year....

Levian
07-19-2005, 11:09 PM
OMG, you are so lucky!!!! I want to go to japan!!!! ;________________; Actually, I will be going to japan pretty soon though! Because I'm going there to become a game developer! ^_^ Hopefully for Square, but we'll see. I've even studied a whole lot japanese from watching anime! I can't wait to go there!!

Destai
07-19-2005, 11:25 PM
I've even studied a whole lot japanese from watching anime! WTF DOES THAT ACTUALLY WORK?

Levian
07-19-2005, 11:27 PM
I've even studied a whole lot japanese from watching anime! WTF DOES THAT ACTUALLY WORK?

lol, yes. that's what ALL fanboys does!

Xander
07-19-2005, 11:31 PM
Something tells me Levian is trying to be sarcastic. Or is that ironic. Well one of those. xD Stop making fun Levy! =P

Levian
07-19-2005, 11:39 PM
Most of all, I'm having too much time on my hand and I'm bored. :/ Naruto! ^_^

Flying Mullet
07-19-2005, 11:51 PM
Levian:smash:

Levian
07-19-2005, 11:54 PM
Levian:smash:

Mullet the bush kangaroo~~~!!!!!*huggles to death* :grinpink:

Destai
07-19-2005, 11:56 PM
i HAVE TO ADMIT, I WAS WONDERING IF THIS WAS THE SAME LEVIAN I CAN REMEMBER POSTING AROUND THE BOARD.

Social Moon Firesky
07-20-2005, 04:54 PM
Okles, first of all, there's no better way than to learn Japanese, than by hiring a tutor. Watching anime doesn't teach you the essential Japanese that you need. It only teaches you humourous phrases, which can sometimes get you into a LOT of trouble! (My friend repeated some stuff he'd heard on One Piece and Naruto, and he ended up with a black eye and cut lip)

Second, what's shabu shabu? I never ate anything like that, though I did eat sashimi and ramen, and I absolutely ADORE those! And I ate okonomiyaki, but I didn't like it. I don't really like eggs...They had vending machines EVERYWHERE, and I drunk them all dry of ice cold Royal Milk Tea in cans. ^_^ I miss that stuff like crazy! They had FANTA GRAPE as well, which my friend Ash got himself addicted to. He nearly fainted when he went 12 hours without any.

As for pachinko, I only played once, and it was relatively quiet, so no I didn't faint. I had a good time playing it though. You really should all go to Japan, 'cos it's so interesting. When my families took me to historical places, I didn't have to fake interest, 'cos I was interested! Not to mention the fact that everyone was really nice (Albeit because I was foreign) and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Expensive? For certain things. Clothes, yes. Electronical appliances, yes. Typical Japanese things, yes. Transport, yes. I think the only things that were cheap were food, drink and hotels.

Necronopticous
07-20-2005, 06:00 PM
It doesn't surprise me that you didn't eat Shabu Shabu, as it is traditionally a winter food. Quite simply, Shabu Shabu houses are what members of the Christian faith would call "Heaven." It is the most delicious cuisine on the face of the Earth, consisting of paper thin raw beef dipped like fondue into boiling water, and then either Ponzu or Gomadare sauce along with raw vegetables prepared the same way. You eat it over steamed rice, of course. If you ever get a chance to try it out, definately take the opportunity. It's pricey in Japan but there are some good Shabu Shabu restaurants scattered around the U.S. that run anywhere from around $15.00-$25.00 for dinner. Great stuff. Wait, are you even in the U.S.? Well maybe you can find one there too.

Didn't like okonamiyaki!? You know it can be prepared in tons of ways, maybe you just didn't like the one you tried? There is some good okomaniyaki to be eaten, that's for sure.
everyone was really nice (Albeit because I was foreign)Also because they're raised that way. Although you'd probably never know if they were annoyed since the Japanese are masters of being polite and nice even when they're thoroughly annoyed or upset.

Cruise Control
07-20-2005, 06:02 PM
Are the made in China stickers made in china, or just the products?

Devourment
07-20-2005, 06:22 PM
Sounds good. I want to go to Japan.. But I will be in about 2 years time. ^_^

Necronopticous
07-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Are the made in China stickers made in china, or just the products?You're aware that China and Japan are entirely different right?

Social Moon Firesky
07-21-2005, 08:48 PM
I don't like okonomiyaki 'cos it's got eggs in it, and generally speaking, I don't like eggs. Plus, mine always had octopus in it, and I don't like octopus either. I looooooove squid though!