PDA

View Full Version : Do You believe on Karama?

Burtuc
07-20-2005, 05:21 AM
Well I do for i've doone some good things and in certain ways good things have happend to me. What do you guys think?

Mitch
07-20-2005, 05:30 AM
I don't see why not

kikimm
07-20-2005, 05:36 AM
You mean karma, don't you? :bigsmile:

And to answer the question....I don't know. Not really. I think people confuse karma with just regular ol life. Sometimes you get whats coming, sometimes you don't. Eh.

:D

XxSephirothxX
07-20-2005, 05:37 AM
I believe in life and death. Beyond that, I'm not really too sure.

Shlup
07-20-2005, 05:43 AM
I believe in the western idea of karma (that good things happen as a result of good things and vice versa) but I don't know about the original idea of karma (good deeds in this life will be rewarded in the next) because I don't know about the whole reincarnation thing.

Raistlin
07-20-2005, 05:47 AM
I don't believe in any sort of supreme control of karma - meaning, I don't believe that doing good mysteriously makes good things happen to you. However, I do believe that if you do good, good things will <i>naturally</i> happen to you.

Yamaneko
07-20-2005, 05:49 AM
Bad things happen to bad people because they constantly put themselves in situations where bad things can happen to them.

eestlinc
07-20-2005, 05:51 AM
I believe you make the bed you sleep in, and if you piss off enough people eventually that will come around and bite you in the ass. Likewise, if you treat people well, others will be more likely to help you. If that counts as karma then I guess I believe in it.

Tifa Lockheart
07-20-2005, 05:52 AM
I don't believe in Karma. I think whatever happens happens... I've seen good people get hurt and I've see bad people get the glory they don't deserve.

I do believe in karma in the sense that if one does good things, then they will get a good reputation compared to if they do bad things.

Yamaneko
07-20-2005, 05:52 AM
Yeah, but there's no divine intervention.

Hawkeye
07-20-2005, 06:02 AM
Karma, the Jewish thing right?

Yamaneko
07-20-2005, 06:04 AM
More like that Hindu, Buddhist, and Janist thing, but the concept has spilled over into Western culture, in a somewhat simplified manner.

Shlup
07-20-2005, 06:25 AM
I don't believe that doing good mysteriously makes good things happen to you. However, I do believe that if you do good, good things will <i>naturally</i> happen to you.
I don't see the difference.

Raistlin
07-20-2005, 06:29 AM
I don't believe that doing good mysteriously makes good things happen to you. However, I do believe that if you do good, good things will <i>naturally</i> happen to you.
I don't see the difference.
Because the former suggests that there is no logical relationship between the deed and the..."reward"("good karma," I guess), and that it was bestowed by a mysterious force in return for doing something that it judged to be "good."
The latter suggests that if you do good things that you know are good things, you will not only benefit yourself automatically by gaining a sense of self-worth and moral judgment(integrity), but you also get the benefit of everybody else knowing you act consistently in such a manner. Trust and respect work a long way - especially if that trust and respect is in yourself.

Peegee
07-20-2005, 06:31 AM
A very specific and limited view of what karma is about is somewhat accurate, in that if you are honest, good, well behaved, and so forth, you naturally will stay away from the opposite elements, thus resulting in further good or continual good, depending on whatever.

To think that Karma implies a earthly 'heaven' element however is not true, nor I believe accurate to karmic beliefs.

In either case, I do not subscribe to either view.

Yuffie514
07-20-2005, 06:49 AM
eh, i relate it to sin. bad karma > sin. and i tend to think somethings bad i don't like will happen if i think about it or sin enough. i always get these "what if" questions in my head. not all of them are bad, just trivial "what if" things. they always come true a few days later or sometime down the road. someone likes to read my thoughts and make them come true... :shifty:

Gollum
07-20-2005, 07:19 AM
Yeah i do because last night i was thinking about how me and some friends tied up my other friend and kicked soccer balls at his head then i walked into the shower door and hit my head.

Leene
07-20-2005, 07:53 AM
:save:...Yes.:p :save:

Winter Nights
07-20-2005, 07:56 AM
No. I'm a big fan of the "/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif Happens" belief.

Old Manus
07-20-2005, 07:56 AM
I paid this guy £5 for something that cost 50p and he gave me £6.50 change, so yeah.

Rusty
07-20-2005, 08:07 AM
I don't believe in karma or reincarnation, but I do agree with the saying 'What goes around comes around'.

-N-
07-20-2005, 08:08 AM
The original idea of Karma in Hinduism is supposed to be one of the four paths to spiritual enlightenment and being one with God. This path is one of action and duty. It's not a rewards system, unlike the Western version, because one is not to expect a reward for doing their duty. Rather, one does what they do just for the action's own sake, and for furthering their journey towards enlightenment.

I do believe in that.

I do not believe in "Western karma", nor do I accept that as an appropriate term describing it. However, since I do not accept issues of semantics as being legitimate, there is a slight element of hypocrisy with regards to the latter issue.

Miriel
07-20-2005, 08:35 AM
I like to think that good things happen to good people. So to a certain extent, I do believe in the (western) concept of Karma. But I do realize that a lot of times, it's just wishful thinking. Unless you're an ass in which case I'm sure that the idea of karma wouldn't be too appealing.

I also believe in the original meaning of Karma in that we reap what we sow. Not so keen on the whole Dharma and destiny idea though.

Meat Puppet
07-20-2005, 09:03 AM
I am quite charismatic at times.

Rye
07-20-2005, 11:54 AM
I believe you make the bed you sleep in, and if you piss off enough people eventually that will come around and bite you in the ass. Likewise, if you treat people well, others will be more likely to help you. If that counts as karma then I guess I believe in it.

Yeah, that's the type of karma I believe in. xD

boris no no
07-20-2005, 11:58 AM
i believe that whatever you do they will always be consequences (yeah i cannot spell *dies*)
so if you hit someone something bad will happen to you.
like in witchcraft.....you do something bad it'll come back to you threefold

Spiffing Cheese
07-20-2005, 12:11 PM
I don't believe in karma or reincarnation. I'm a complete atheist, and I think that once you're dead, you're dead. That's it.

Loony BoB
07-20-2005, 01:09 PM
I do not believe in Karma.

Also, I was talking to Linus about this the other day and he pointed out that Karma is often misconstrued. It isn't about "If you do something good, something good will happen to you." It's more about "If something good happens in your life, it will be balanced out by something bad. Likewise, if you forcably go out of your way to benefit yourself, you will have something taken from you." ...something like that. Like, if you have a baby, your grandfather might die soon after. If you steal something, something will be stolen from you. If you lose something, you'll gain something. If you gain something, you'll lose something. It's not give and get, it's just a balance between positive and negative... or... something...

As for "what you give is what you get returned", I've never believed that. As far as I'm concerned, I'm a good guy and I don't do much damage to anyone. But I've had a crapload of people do damage to me. Maybe I'm just ungrateful or selfish or something, but I feel that I have deserved better in my life. That doesn't mean I'll be changing anytime soon, though. I'll continue to do things my way because I don't really see the point in doing bad things.

Not to say I haven't done bad things in the past, but I see them as mistakes and I do everything I can to make up for them each time.

The more I give, the more I tend to get hurt, but that's probably more to do with how attached I get to people/things, allowing them to hurt me more.

Shlup
07-20-2005, 01:57 PM
BoB, tell Linus to shove it. Karma is a belief that good deeds will be rewarded in the next life (not this life). Such as jerks get reincarnated as spiders and cool people get reincarnated as richer people. That's the way I learned it in my fancy pants college.

Destai
07-20-2005, 01:59 PM
Well I dont know about my next life but I do believe Karma works logically. If you give a little, you get a little etc.

Loony BoB
07-20-2005, 02:01 PM
BoB, tell Linus to shove it.
I'll try to remember to do so.

Either way, I don't believe in Karma.

Cruise Control
07-20-2005, 04:04 PM
Nah, if it existed, with all the bad things I've done, I'd be dead.

Miriel
07-20-2005, 05:08 PM
BoB, tell Linus to shove it. Karma is a belief that good deeds will be rewarded in the next life (not this life). Such as jerks get reincarnated as spiders and cool people get reincarnated as richer people. That's the way I learned it in my fancy pants college.
Karma literally means, cause and effect. So if a person performs good actions in their life, they'll be rewarded with good results. From my understanding of it, Karma doesn't only apply to reincarnation as you described it. Karma exists in every action that prompts a reaction, so it applies to everything in this life as well as in the next.

MoonZapdos
07-20-2005, 05:23 PM
Karama? Do you mean Karma?

The Anarchy Angel
07-20-2005, 05:35 PM
Karma...

Yea, why not? I do good things and good things happen to me, then the really unfair things happen and then it all goes out of sync...nya, its there but i'm not always in with the good karma

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-20-2005, 11:49 PM
I believe in karma, or the htree-fold rule or whatever you call it. Sometimes something bad happens, and I look back thinking what I have done. Though I am not too sure if I am completely into either school's of thoughts (Occidental and Oriental) concept.

Kawaii Ryûkishi
07-21-2005, 04:23 AM
Caramba.