PDA

View Full Version : Who thinks that Nirvana are overrated?

Project G
07-20-2005, 12:34 PM
Nirvana are good, but not that good if you know what I mean

Lindy
07-20-2005, 12:51 PM
Yes, but I still like them.

Levian
07-20-2005, 01:01 PM
Hmm, never heard of them. ^_^ maybe 'cus I only listen to J-pop. ^_^;;;

Swordicanus
07-20-2005, 01:12 PM
I think they're a great band but they would'nt have sold as much if Kurt had'nt had shot himself i feel the are slightly overated due to his death etc :mad:

crazybayman
07-20-2005, 01:47 PM
I think some people they are overrated because they were before their time (i.e. people who were young kids when they became big)?

They were huge back in the early 90's........but yes they became even more famous because of Kurt's death.

However, they have what I consider countless "Classic 90's" songs, and released a few great albums, despite their short time as a band.

They have left a legacy that is second to none in their genre of music. Definitely the kings of grunge.

I say not overrated. The music was simple, but great.

Holy_Aeris
07-20-2005, 01:51 PM
I think their great! But not over-rated!

ZeZipster
07-20-2005, 01:54 PM
They're over played. I mean, I can't go a day without hearing them on my local Alternative station. I still love them.

Super Christ
07-20-2005, 02:02 PM
Are is most certainly the incorrect verb to use. Were would be correct. And no, they were not overrated.

Meat Puppet
07-20-2005, 02:08 PM
The newer fans are finally getting tired of them now, which is good.

Godslayer
07-20-2005, 02:30 PM
I love nirvana. i dont think they're over rated.
I do think Kurt Cobain is over rated though

fire_of_avalon
07-20-2005, 06:05 PM
For the most part, anyway.

Destai
07-20-2005, 06:07 PM
For the most part, anyway.yup.

eestlinc
07-20-2005, 06:15 PM
very overrated, and I don't like them anyway.

I like Come as You Are ok.

DK
07-20-2005, 06:22 PM
When I was 8, my moms boyfriend at the time gave me two tapes that changed my musical taste for life, one was Dookie by Green Day and the other was Nevermind by Nirvana. I used to love them when I was growing up as a kid, but I've gone off them now. Damn man, I just realised that was 11 years ago. *_* But yeah. The only album I really like of their's now is unplugged.

Edit: Duh, I forgot. I can't say whether they're overrated or not because I never followed the grunge scene and therefore can't make a comparison to their peers.

Devourment
07-20-2005, 06:38 PM
Yes they are overrated, but I still like them. Perhaps if Kurt didn't kill himself they wouldn't be as overrated now?

radyk05
07-20-2005, 08:15 PM
very overrated. c'mon, perl jam, sound garden and alice in chains are/were waaaaay better. some of thier songs are great but not to the point to make kurt cobain a martir.

kikimm
07-20-2005, 08:20 PM
I don't think they're overrated at all. I'll agree that they're overplayed, though. They did start something pretty big. Maybe I'm biased, because I really like them, but I don't care. :monster:

:D

Psychotic
07-20-2005, 08:27 PM
I love Nirvana. I'm not really bothered one way or the other how "rated" - either under or over - their music is. I listen to it and I enjoy it, and that's all that matters to me.

KoShiatar
07-20-2005, 08:46 PM
It's hard to express what Nirvana and their music have signified to me. Their music has been one of the major driving forces in my life. I have to thank Nirvana if I can speak English to any degree, I listen to good music and dig under the surface of things.

Despite all this, I think they've been slightly overrated over time. I mean, they technically weren't any good, Cobain's voice wasn't all that pleasant, any R.E.M. song has lyrics better than theirs.

And yet...yet...

I don't know how to describe it, but their music is still much more than the sum of all the various elements that make it.
They had heart and guts, simply.
I've stopped listening obsessively to their music years and years ago.
But I'm attached to them, simple and clean. They MEANT.

Edit: And I was their fan BEFORE Cobain died.

Heath
07-20-2005, 08:50 PM

nik0tine
07-20-2005, 09:45 PM
They are waaay overrated. I don't like them at all, and they don't sound good. I'll take Punk Rock over Grunge anyday, plz.

The Anarchy Angel
07-20-2005, 09:51 PM
Yea, i listened to teen spirit the other day, and it doesn't have the same kinda cool feel about it anymore, they're a tad overplayed

Mitch
07-20-2005, 11:55 PM
Yes they are overrated. And no I don't like them.

What redeems them from being some of the worst muscians to be in a band that famous (lets face it, but the drummer is good) is that they wrote some very popular and succesful songs (even if I don't like them, I can see that).

I say they are over-rated because once a girl told me she thought that Kurt Cobain was the best guitarist ever. She was serious. I laughed at her.

lordblazer
07-21-2005, 12:23 AM
Nirvana are good, but not that good if you know what I mean
well they kinda changed how rock was to be heard.I mean in the 80s music sucked in a good way kinda and nirvana just grew some balls and took it to the next step.When you hear a nirvana song you think its from the 90s.

listen to the ablum Unplugged In NY

eestlinc
07-21-2005, 02:19 AM
Nirvana didn't invent grunge, they just popularized it.

crashNUMBERS
07-21-2005, 02:21 AM
Call me stupid but I never understood what overrated meant...

Yamaneko
07-21-2005, 02:22 AM
I'd rather listen to STP.

eestlinc
07-21-2005, 02:49 AM
I'd rather listen to STP.

I'd rather listen to Pearl Jam.

I'd rather listen to Alice in Chains.

I'd rather listen to Soundgarden.

I'd rather listen to Dinosaur Jr.

I'd rather listen to Mudhoney.

Yamaneko
07-21-2005, 03:21 AM
When did I say that?

eestlinc
07-21-2005, 03:34 AM
you didn't :D

Excelsior
07-21-2005, 05:02 AM
If anyone sais anything is the best of whatever, then that means its overrated. EXAMPLE: Halo.

Jack
07-21-2005, 10:49 AM
Let's get this sorted: I LIKE Nirvana.

But I believe that they were not the best Grunge/Alt Rock act of the 90's by far. I don't believe Mr Kurt's shotgun helped this, I think they were just chosen by the public and record companies thrust them into the limelight. I also don't believe that they deserved this honour really, because if we actually look at Nevermind, the album is weak. It starts of with a unbelieveable greatness (The First 6 songs are good) but then it disapears into demo hell, with Territorial Pissings & Lounge Act.
There were better bands at the same time, like The Smashing Pumpkins & Throwing Muses. Hell, even Belly & Soundgarden were better.
At a push, even Ms Cobain's (Courtney Love) band was better, in that they made better albums. Nirvana couldn'tr sustain the same quality over a LP like them, but they could write pretty good Pixies copies (Smells Like Teen Spirit)

They're good, but not that good.

Excelsior
07-22-2005, 06:01 AM
because if we actually look at Nevermind, the album is weak.
There were better bands at the same time, like The Smashing Pumpkins
At a push, even Ms Cobain's (Courtney Love) band was better, in that they made better albums.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:

your opinions make me laugh. :D

disapointedchild
07-22-2005, 06:06 AM
because if we actually look at Nevermind, the album is weak.
There were better bands at the same time, like The Smashing Pumpkins
At a push, even Ms Cobain's (Courtney Love) band was better, in that they made better albums.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol: :lol:

your opinions make me laugh. :D

You said it Excelsior.

I love nervana. Cool band, cool name, cool. :cool: :cool:

Dazed and Confused
07-22-2005, 07:53 AM
Nirvana suck! Lol na jokes, they're ok, but WHY WHY WHY did they have to release that stupid over priced boxed set?? My friend has it and it sucks I must say!

GooeyToast
07-22-2005, 08:01 AM
They're great, but yes, a little over-played.

~Keep it gooey~

Princess_Yuna
07-22-2005, 10:15 AM
They're THE BEST?I don't wanna hear bad words for them because I......... :hot:

FallenSilence
07-22-2005, 10:25 AM
I've got all their albums. I love them. Cobain was a musical genius, if ever their was one. May he rest in peace. Not overrated.

KoShiatar
07-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Let's get this sorted: I LIKE Nirvana.

I suppose you're talking about the Live Through This album.
But Cobain, even if uncredited, worked a lot on those songs. I have a version of "Asking for it" where his voice can be heard very clearly.

Project G
07-22-2005, 01:21 PM
I've got all their albums. I love them. Cobain was a musical genius, if ever their was one. May he rest in peace. Not overrated.

He might have changed the face of music for good and he might have been a musical genius, but he's not that good. The only reason most people (That weren't born then) buy nirvana albums now is because of the legendary Dave Grohl

FallenSilence
07-22-2005, 05:18 PM
Most people, maybe, but not I. I buy their albums because I like the music. Simple really. I've been a fan since I first heard them, though they were before my time, really.

Cloud No.9
07-22-2005, 11:16 PM
kurt's suicide is not the reason nirvana are or were huge. nirvana were huge. at the time they were THE thing. stupidly-successful and this was all before kurt got a nasty habit and blew his brains out.

if nirvana are big because kurt died then the beatles are big because lenno got stabbed.

the are big because they are one of these bands that have the power to last.

Captain Maxx Power
07-22-2005, 11:45 PM
Nirvana are overratted. Alice in Chains/Pearl Jam/Soundgarden > Nirvana.

Cloud No.9
07-22-2005, 11:49 PM
the thing with nirvana was also not the music. it was the culture. it was a big thing. it changed alot of how people thought about various stuff. it was thei first time that those people had came to the fore-front of public attention. it shaped many many things afterwards. it also did change alot of music. many tracks nowadays you can pick out bits and pieces were you think "stole from nirvana" "sounds like nirvana". etc.

but the music went beyond the music.

Pastor_of_Muppets
07-23-2005, 01:08 AM
I like them, but I liked Alice in Chains more.
They were a little overrated, but not HUGELY

Devourment
07-23-2005, 10:53 AM
I'd rather listen to Mudhoney.

GooeyToast
07-23-2005, 10:57 AM
I like them, but I liked Alice in Chains more.
They were a little overrated, but not HUGELY