PDA

View Full Version : Why didnīt Cait Sith just die?

Peter_20
07-20-2005, 04:22 PM
While I was watching this event with Cait Sith trying to help with the Tempe of the Ancients part ("solve a puzzle") for the first time, I was hopeful - this just had to mean heīll die.
However, suddenly a twin pops out from nowhere (Cait Sith No.2?! WTF?!) and rejoins your team forever.

Why didnīt he just disappear?
He should have died, just like Aeris.
I also thought this No.2 thingy was downright embarrassing.
I was like, LOL, what the hell is happening here?

Cait Sith SHOULDīVE died, for several reasons.

Christmas
07-20-2005, 04:25 PM
Cait Sith is just a robot controlled by Reeve so he can just keep coming back as long as the person controlling him is alive.

And why must he die? He is so adorable and cute. :<3:

TurkSlayer
07-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Whats wrong with Cait Sith? I liked him. I was upset when I thought was going to die in the Temple the first time I played. When I found out he survived (sort of) I danced around a little. Cait was awesome. But then I've always liked the strange characters everyone else appears to hate (ex. Umaro, Quina, Kimarhi, ect.)

Cruise Control
07-20-2005, 04:54 PM
Cait Sith is my best shot at beating Emerald and Ruby weapon, yay for reels!

Peter_20
07-20-2005, 04:55 PM
What the hell?
Usually EVERYONE seems to hate him.
But oh well, for some strange reason people always disagree with me, even on this point!

If I told you FF7 was the best game ever, Iīm pretty sure it would sound like:
"I donīt think so. [game X] is much better, IMHO."

...and thereīs also this thread where I told you FF7 was really easy, which everyone seemed to think.
"Well, if you use all this Materia, itīs no surprise you find it easy.
Try without, itīs fun." and so on (no quotations).

*sigh*

Iīm just complaining right now, but itīs so frustrating that nobody can agree with me on something, for once.

TurkSlayer
07-20-2005, 05:08 PM
I've found that if you say something against a particular character, the people who dislike that character don't come, the people who like them come to argue with you. Its just the way it seem to work.

Cruise Control
07-20-2005, 05:16 PM
xD, someone finally figured that out!

Necronopticous
07-20-2005, 05:48 PM
this just had to mean heīll die.
However, suddenly a twin pops out from nowhere (Cait Sith No.2?! WTF?!) and rejoins your team forever.Best scene in video game history.

Peter_20
07-20-2005, 06:29 PM
this just had to mean heīll die.
However, suddenly a twin pops out from nowhere (Cait Sith No.2?! WTF?!) and rejoins your team forever.Best scene in video game history.

Well, I do agree on the fun part (I did LOL a few minutes during the thing) but I still think it was rather stupid.

boys from the dwarf
07-20-2005, 07:09 PM
i didnt want cait sith to die because hes cool but i never realy use him.but when he came out and just said."hi im cait sith no.2"i couldnt stop thinking."holy random /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif!!!"
i take it cait sith turns good beciase reeve doesnt like shinra that much but in what point of the game does it say that cait sith is being controled by reeve?

BG-57
07-20-2005, 08:50 PM
What gets me wondering why Cait Sith #1's equipment and accessories didn't get mashed with him.

kikimm
07-20-2005, 08:53 PM
What gets me wondering why Cait Sith #1's equipment and accessories didn't get mashed with him.

Seriously.

God I hate Cait Sith. And now he's in AC too, stupid thing. He's opne of the most obnoxious video game characters of all time, in m opinion. I hate him. Completely worthless, too; I never put him in my party any time other than what was required.

I hate him so much.

Maybe I'm overreacting.

:D

Beclem
07-20-2005, 11:25 PM
i didnt want cait sith to die because hes cool but i never realy use him.but when he came out and just said."hi im cait sith no.2"i couldnt stop thinking."holy random /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif!!!"
i take it cait sith turns good beciase reeve doesnt like shinra that much but in what point of the game does it say that cait sith is being controled by reeve?

It doesn't directly say that he is, but it's just one of those things in Final Fantasy which is open to interpretation, think of it what you will.

Reles
07-20-2005, 11:30 PM
I like him, I think he's a decent fighter, I also seemed to enjoy everything about him. They made a very creative character out of him, by being a puppet controlled by the enemy. I like.

Sepho
07-20-2005, 11:41 PM

Well, video games tend to not be entirely realistic, which is why Cait Sith number 2 was there to join your party instantaneously. Losing his best equipment when the first body was crushed wouldn't have been good times either.

Reeve is also probably my favorite non-playable character in the game, because he exhibits very human qualities. He's no hero, but he's a "basically good" person who, in spite of his best intentions, lacks the will to do both his own thing and the right thing for any number of reasons (Could be that he fears retribution from defying Shinra, or even that he just likes the money that his job provides).

Yuffie514
07-20-2005, 11:43 PM
he'll be no more once he's used up 9 lives. get ready for 8 more game appearances...

of course, i like him no more or less than i dislike him.

Terran
07-20-2005, 11:53 PM

It doesn't directly say that he is, but it's just one of those things in Final Fantasy which is open to interpretation, think of it what you will.

Well actually Barret yells at Cait Sith on the airship on your 2nd trip to Midgar. Barret yells at him as Reeve so Reeve really is Cait Sith. Sorry just wanted to get Beclem's facts straight.

Beclem
07-20-2005, 11:57 PM
I don't remember that part. It's been a while since I played it.

Sephitachi7
07-21-2005, 12:06 AM
Peter_18, I completely agree with you Cait Sith seriously blows! He's a backstabbing SOB the character I least liked in FF7. I think this is the character least liked at least. HMM, maybe I should make a thread about it.

TheAbominatrix
07-21-2005, 12:09 AM
Barret
"YO! Do somethin'! Ya big cat!"

(Cait Sith slumps and tiptoes timidly up to Barret.)

Cait Sith
"We're sunk. Hojo's doing this on his own......"
"...? ...? H, huh!?"

(He turns)

Cait Sith
"I don't like this......"

(Barret steps up to him.)

Barret
"You're busted, Reeve!"

(Cait Sith waves his arms madly)

Barret
"Too late tryin' to hide it now..."

Cloud
"Can't you stop the Mako reactor?"

(Red XIII and Tifa gather around.)

Cait Sith
"......We can't stop it."

Yep, the game says it straight out. There ya have it.

And I liked Cait Sith fine. I found Aerith to be far more annoying.

Squall of SeeD
07-21-2005, 12:26 AM
The point of his "death" and immediate return was to desensitize the player to realistic death and prevent them from expecting anything to actually happen to Aerith later. This was further capitalized upon by making it appear that [spoiler]Aerith would be alright when the other party members stopped Cloud from crushing her beneath the Buster Sword. Thus, it was totally unexpected and truly brought home how unexpected and undramatic a thing death is. The dramatic build up had already come and gone when the form of Sephiroth dropped in and slid a long cold blade through Aerith's spine.

Mercen-X
07-21-2005, 12:35 AM
SoS :love:

I thought Cait Sith the little cat doll was a great character. My only problem was with that huge awkward mog. That and the fact CS uses a megaphone for a weapon. wt?

XenoSphere
07-21-2005, 01:53 PM
I like Cait Sith and how he redeemed himself. He deserved to be in the rest of the game. Interesting character. Cute little cat. :p

Lenna
07-21-2005, 06:01 PM
I think that if Cait Sith had died then and there, and never came back it would have defeated the point of Shinra being able to follow them/know where they were going next, it'd also leave it unexplained. Cait Sith's presence was there to link Clouds party and Shinra together as a team regardless of them being enemies. Because if you think about it, once they were out of Midgar, they had nothing to do with Shinra other than being on the same mission to find Sephiroth. Cait Sith connected them, giving us a brilliant storyline in my opinion. He may have been a "doll" or a big stuffed moogle with a cat on top but his importance in the game is noticable. Besides, he's cute :p

XxSephirothxX
07-21-2005, 06:14 PM
I didn't particularly like him or dislike him. Up until that point I thought of him as a rather pointless character. I never really used him in battle much at all.

Floorgasborg
07-21-2005, 07:33 PM
I found Cait Sith quite entertaining, being a stuffed mog with a little crowned kitty on top. Even so, I didn't use him in battle....which brings me to a point, did Reeve control the battles Cait Sith fought in? Curiouser and curiouser.
Still, Square likely knew perfectly well that Caith Sith (I had the daring to rename him Darth Mog in my last game) would be popular with some, and very unpopular with others. Depends on if you can abide traitors or not ;)

Lenna
07-21-2005, 08:43 PM
Cait Sith wasn't really a Traitor, he was more of an Informer. Although he gave Shinra information on their where abouts and took the Key to the Temple of the Ancients, he was on their side the majority of the time. I'd class a traitor as someone who lies all round to the whole party. Where as at the start he was merely an informer and gradually became their friend and ally. They hardly knew Cait Sith so didn't really have trust for him. His loyalty came to them after he saw their moral in fighting against evil.

Cait Sith wasn't a bad guy, but at times he wasn't necessarily a good guy either. But all round he helped save the world. He worked for Shinra therefore it was his job to do what he did. Most people don't question what they do for their job if it's important, or if they are part of a big organisation such as Shinra. You just do it. It's possible that he was scared of what may happen to him if he disobeyed Shinra. He didn't seem too keep on helping them that's for sure.

Perhaps it was only when he realised that cloud and the group did have the power to take down Shinra that he decided to go against Shinra.

In my opinion he wasn't really a traitor, but then again opinions vary :)

Floorgasborg
07-21-2005, 11:07 PM
You speak the truth, my lady, he did start out as an informer and mature into a proper ally. I just used the word traitor since that's how most anti-Cait Sith players view him. And how the characters viewed him at the time he sole the Keystone thing, I daresay.
But there are many people out there who disagree with you, and would rather he just blew up and never heard from again.

Mercen-X
07-22-2005, 01:14 AM
I'd have preferred playing as the tiny Cait Sith doll in battle with Puss in Boots cat-scratch attacks. Anything would have been better than that fat ugly mog. (not to offend any fat or ugly people, but a fat ugly mog? Please)

true_bacon22
07-22-2005, 03:25 AM
No worst charecter is Aeris shes so useless and she dies anyway her only good limit is the one that gives everyone fury and when you waste your time to get all this stuff for her she dies i saved a slot for the scene just before she dies just so when im pissed i can watch that over again cait sith wasnt my favourite charecter i only used him when i was feeling lucky against emereld weapon..i wasnt lucky but non of em compare to crappy square junk as ff tactics they put a dent in ff with that game

Lenna
07-22-2005, 03:24 PM
I'd have preferred playing as the tiny Cait Sith doll in battle with Puss in Boots cat-scratch attacks. Anything would have been better than that fat ugly mog. (not to offend any fat or ugly people, but a fat ugly mog? Please)

Lmao Mercen-X I love you for that <3333333333333333333 I LOVE puss in boots :D

No worst charecter is Aeris shes so useless and she dies anyway her only good limit is the one that gives everyone fury and when you waste your time to get all this stuff for her she dies i saved a slot for the scene just before she dies just so when im pissed i can watch that over again cait sith wasnt my favourite charecter i only used him when i was feeling lucky against emereld weapon..i wasnt lucky but non of em compare to crappy square junk as ff tactics they put a dent in ff with that game

Aeris was an important part in the FF7 game. Without her, it wouldn't have been as gripping as it is. Regardless of how many people say they dislike it, theres always someone it captures. I was one of those people. Aeris may not have been the perfect image but she did bring love and some humour into the game. Do you really think that without her the game would have been as good.

The storyline would probably have missed quite alot. Infact it may have ended up like this:

Blow up reactor 1, Sector 7
Go to Sector 5, Bomb Reactor 5, Fall into Slums Church, left wandering around on your own for a bit then Reno shows up, Run from Reno
Magically find your way to sector 6 -
Go round helping yourself to clothes and stuff (Even though cloud didn't even want to dress up as a girl!)
Find Tifa, fall down to sewers,Go to Train Graveyard & Sector 7
Probably end up with no one looking after Marlene, so she'd either end up dead or it'd be stupid to think she'd managed to have escaped by herself. (Or she could have been kidnapped by Tseng) -
Go to Shinra HQ (most likely out of spite etc), See dead President & Meet Rufus -
Escape from Midgar, go to Kalm and see Clouds past -
Carry on to Chocobo Farm, Mythril Mine, Fort Condor, Junon -
Go on Boat to Costa Del Sol, Go to Corel, Gold Saucer, Corel Prison, Fight Dyne
Gongaga, Cosmo Canyon, Nanaki's Quest, Nibelheim, Rocket Town, Back to Gold Saucer (Most likely date some random character such as Tifa) -
Temple of the Ancients (just to find Sephiroth) Cait Sith in your party, (remember Aeris doesn't exist so we'd most likely find that we don't know what an Ancient is until the whole Sephiroth scenarios)
Leave and go to straight to Icicle inn, because think about it, we wouldn't have a need to go to Ancients City because AERIS DOESN'T EXIST. And she was the reason you went in the first place!
Gaea's Cliff, The crater etc.

Basically everything after that would be completely screwed up and wouldn't really have that much of a plot, and in the end the world would be screwed, because no Aeris = NO HOLY = Death of planet ;D.

Would you really have wanted to play that game like that, without all the interesting bits, because face it, she's a main character, although she died early in the game, she was still an important character through out the whole of it.

It's the same with people wishing she could be resurrected, she can't because her dying is a big plot part and without it the story would be just as screwed up if she wasn't in it at all. :D

That's all I have to say about that :)

Barney
07-22-2005, 06:36 PM

as a mog i am depeally offended by this comment :crying: :p

LunaticPandora37
07-22-2005, 06:52 PM
The point of his "death" and immediate return was to desensitize the player to realistic death and prevent them from expecting anything to actually happen to Aerith later. This was further capitalized upon by making it appear that [spoiler]Aerith would be alright when the other party members stopped Cloud from crushing her beneath the Buster Sword. Thus, it was totally unexpected and truly brought home how unexpected and undramatic a thing death is. The dramatic build up had already come and gone when the form of Sephiroth dropped in and slid a long cold blade through Aerith's spine.

... :O_O: :eek: :eek: that dude is smart....

ORO?!

Lenna
07-22-2005, 06:59 PM
He's not smart, he's a smurfing genius. He's a true gamer <3

LunaticPandora37
07-22-2005, 07:04 PM
He's not smart, he's a smurfing genius. He's a true gamer <3

BLAH..ok that's true...

ORO?!

Lenna
07-22-2005, 07:38 PM
I wish he'd go to the FF9 forum and try answering ThingFish's riddle cause personally I think he'd get it in an instance. He knows so much about games ;(

Mercen-X
07-22-2005, 08:38 PM
(not to offend any fat or ugly people, but a fat ugly mog? Please)

as a mog i am depeally offended by this comment :crying: :p
My work here is done.

LunaticPandora37
07-22-2005, 08:38 PM
Is Squall of SeeD some like...gaming god??? If so...I ask him for a new copy of drakengard...plz???

And remember...
ORO?!

Lenna
07-22-2005, 08:45 PM
Barney's a mog now??? No wonder he's so purple n big. ;o
Now can we shoot him? *goes off to play the Teletubbie shooting game where you can kill barney as a bonus ;D* MERCEN-X YOU GOD MARRY ME! ;D and yes Lunatic. But he's a gaming genius. He knows everything as far as I've seen

Sephitachi7
07-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Up until now it's still proven that Cait Sith is the least likeable playable character in the game.

spartancode117
07-29-2005, 06:48 PM
While I was watching this event with Cait Sith trying to help with the Tempe of the Ancients part ("solve a puzzle") for the first time, I was hopeful - this just had to mean heīll die.
However, suddenly a twin pops out from nowhere (Cait Sith No.2?! WTF?!) and rejoins your team forever.

Why didnīt he just disappear?
He should have died, just like Aeris.
I also thought this No.2 thingy was downright embarrassing.
I was like, LOL, what the hell is happening here?

Cait Sith SHOULDīVE died, for several reasons. the annoying characters never die (like Quina. When she was left in Cleyra's treetop when it was blown up by odin, i was like "YES!" then you see him/her again in Qu's Marsh, and i was so dissapointed...

Dignified Pauper
07-29-2005, 06:50 PM
The fact is simple, they chose the better character for death. Aeris.. Really, what's more satisfying, an unlikeable ho dying, or a robot? I think we, who are fans of GTA, can say the former rather than the latter.

spartancode117
07-29-2005, 06:53 PM
I didn't particularly like him or dislike him. Up until that point I thought of him as a rather pointless character. I never really used him in battle much at all.is it just me, or is there ALWAYS a pointless character on the PS final fantasies?

DancingOnigiri
08-01-2005, 11:50 PM
I've found that if you say something against a particular character, the people who dislike that character don't come, the people who like them come to argue with you. Its just the way it seem to work.

xD, someone finally figured that out!
lol