PDA

View Full Version : Music in movies.

Kossage
07-20-2005, 06:14 PM
What are some the moments where you thought music really elevated scenes in movies to a new, breathtaking level?

I'll mention a few of my favourites:

*UNMARKED SPOILERS AHEAD*

<b>The Land Before Time.</b> "Discovery of the Great Valley" is great music for a great scene when Littlefoot and his friends finally reach their destination. The whole scene is built on the music, and you really hear the main theme in all its glory.

<b>Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace.</b> "Duel of the Fates" makes a strong entrance when the battle between Darth Maul and Obi-Wan Kenobi and Qui-Gon Jinn begins, and the theme makes its presence known whenever we see these characters fighting.

<b>Star Wars Episode II - Attack of the Clones.</b> "Finale" is a very good track during the ending sequence of this movie, because first we hear a massive orchestral version of "Imperial March" when we see Clone Troopers going to war and then we get straight to the beautiful "Across the Stars" love theme when we see Anakin and Padmé's wedding.

<b>Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith.</b> "Anakin's Betrayal" accompanies one of the most tragic scenes ever when we see how the clones kill off the Jedi. The sad and epic choral melody builds up and makes us feel the anguish which takes place on screen. Of course there are many other scenes with great music as well, but I felt this one was one of the most dramatic.

<b>Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope.</b> "Binary Sunset" gives us a magnificent and heartbreaking version of the Force theme when we see Luke looking at the horizon, pondering what he should do next.

<b>Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back.</b> "Carbon Freeze" gives us the most emotional version of the Han Solo and the Princess love theme when Han kisses Leia passionately right before he's put in carbonite. This heartbreaking scene with the famous lines ("I love you." "I know.") makes this one of the best scenes in Star Wars movies.

<b>Star Wars Episode VI - Return of the Jedi.</b> "The Dark Side Beckons" and "Light of the Force" are definitely some of the most emotional scenes in this movie: the first, choral cue accompanies the duel when Luke finally defeats Vader by cutting the dark lord's arm and is about to slay him, and the second cue is played when Luke burns Vader's armour in the pyre on Endor when a powerful version of the Force theme is played.

<b>The Lion King.</b> "To Die For" and "King of Pride Rock" are very powerful choral cues in this movie. The first cue is played during the stampede scene when Mufasa saves Simba and gets killed in the process. The second cue is played when Simba has defeated Scar and takes his rightful place as the new king.

<b>Jurassic Park.</b> "Welcome to Jurassic Park" (titled in the soundtrack as "End Credits") gives us the full choral version of the Jurassic Park main theme when we see a dinosaur in its full glory for the first time. The epic and magic feeling you get when you see this scene and listen to the music is simply marvellous and shows John Williams's talent as a composer.

<b>The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.</b> Both "The Ecstasy of Gold" and "The Trio" are very fantastic cues in the movie. The first cue accompanies one of the characters in an epic, choral way as he's searching for the treasure. The second cue is played when the three main characters get ready to face each other in an epic showdown, and the music really builds up the tension when we wonder who will survive the coming battle.

There are many other great moments with music as well, but it'd take a while to list all of my favourites. So, please share your thoughts about this matter with us and tell us what movie scenes with music really shocked you in a positive way. :)

Shoeberto
07-20-2005, 06:26 PM
"Mad World" in Donnie Darko.
"Summer Overture" or "Winter Overture" any time they were played in Requiem for a Dream.

Rye
07-20-2005, 06:28 PM
The music in The Village and Batman Begins during that scene where the gas was released all through Gotham and Batman had to stop the train was beautiful and amazing. :)

Mr. Mojo Risin
07-20-2005, 06:31 PM
The 4th of July scene in The Sandlot with Ray Charles singing America The Beautiful. Still my favorite movie...

Whatever the hell was playing at the end of Matrix Revolutions...I felt that somewhat disappointed but complete.

The song that bookmarks Schindler's List.

The original Nightmare on Elm St. and Halloweens have great music throughout.

Devourment
07-20-2005, 06:39 PM
I like the music in 'The Crow'.

Ohhh
07-20-2005, 06:40 PM
*bittersweet symphony* at the end of cruel intentions
*titanic song* at the end of titanic (still makes me cry!)
umm, cant think of anymore at the mo

GooeyToast
07-21-2005, 07:44 AM
"Mad World" in Donnie Darko..

Yes. Also, the movie theatre scene. So great. :)

I also must say:

2001 A Space Odyssey: The whole soundtrack. Worked so well with the film. Especially the opening space scene.

A Clockwork Orange: Same as above. The title music rules. (Beethoven rocks btw!)

Harry Potter & LOTR - John Williams always does it right. In HP2, Fawkes the Phoenix really elevated it for me.

Edward Scissorhands: Grand Finale. Beautiful song.

~Keep it gooey~

Miriel
07-21-2005, 08:07 AM
Harry Potter & LOTR - John Williams always does it right. In HP2, Fawkes the Phoenix really elevated it for me.

John Williams didn't compose the score for Lord of the Rings. That masterful score was the work of the brilliant Howard Shore.

GooeyToast
07-21-2005, 08:11 AM
Oh yeah, my bad.

I had a feeling i was wrong.

~Keep it gooey~

Loony BoB
07-21-2005, 10:42 AM
Gabriel Yared and Tan Dun both caught my attention, despite being the more subtle background music types.

Gabriel Yared's stuff features in City of Angels, Cold Mountain, Troy (never released as his score was rejected), The English Patient, The Talented Mr. Ripley and others.

Tan Dun's stuff is Oscar winning and includes the scores to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Hero.

The soundtrack to the movie Peter's Friends was pretty good.

ThroneofDravaris
07-21-2005, 03:20 PM
The Eva movies utilized music so well, there are so many scenes to list:

Air: The Bach tune that plays while Asuka slaughters the Eva Series.
Komm Susser Tod (come sweat death): The theme that plays when Shinji strangles Auska. Also the “end of the world” theme.
Expansion of Blockage: The BMG that plays when Shinji rejects instrumentality, and Lilith falls to pieces.
Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring: Another Bach piece that plays when the ‘live action’ section of the film begins.

Opening of a Dream: Plays when Shinji finally gives up his mother.

Ode to Joy: Everyone MUST know this one. It’s used rather unconventionally in Death and Rebirth though, being played while Kaworu begins he decent into Terminal Dogma.
When it comes to music, you can’t beat Anime Movies….

LunaticPandora37
07-21-2005, 03:40 PM
i like the music in edward sissorhands where edward and that guy (can't remember his name right now are fighting and edward stabs him... i also thought that the music in nightmare before christmas was amazing...espically jack's lament...pretty much any movie with Danny elfman music has good music...

Loony BoB
07-21-2005, 04:49 PM
i like the music in edward sissorhands where edward and that guy (can't remember his name right now are fighting and edward stabs him... i also thought that the music in nightmare before christmas was amazing...espically jack's lament...pretty much any movie with Danny elfman music has good music...
Good call. The Nightmare Before Christmas has some wonderful music.

LunaticPandora37
07-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Good call. The Nightmare Before Christmas has some wonderful music.

heck yes it does...oh and the circle of life song in the beggining of the lion king..so moving...oh and the music in broly second coming (US version) was cool...and the music in the godfather...

Ohhh
07-21-2005, 10:27 PM
aladin has an amazin soundtrack! a whole new world best disney song ever :D and i like nightmare before christmas too

Perducci
07-21-2005, 10:52 PM
Jungle Book. The whole soundtrack. Can't get much better than that.

Odaisé Gaelach
07-21-2005, 11:30 PM
The piano music from the opening scene in Spirited Away when Chihiro is lying in the back of the car as she goes to her new home. Absolutely beautiful.

-N-
07-22-2005, 01:58 AM
Pearl Jam's "Man of the Hour" settling in over the end credits of "Big Fish".

Rage Against the Machine's "Wake Up" gearing up at the end of "The Matrix" as Neo puts on his sunglasses and flies away.

Audioslave's "Shadow on the Sun" cued in during Vincent's meeting with the coyote in "Collateral".

More later, probably. People have mentioned 2001, so I'll just echo. :D

DK
07-22-2005, 02:23 AM
Dragon Ash - Shizukana Hibi no Kaidan Wo and the Stance Punks - Mayonaka Shounen Totsugeki Dan in the end credits of Battle Royale I and II respectively.

Optium
07-22-2005, 02:53 AM
Amelie.

.opt

Resha
07-22-2005, 02:56 AM
Most Disney songs. The Anastasia soundtrack is gorgeous. The LoTR (RoTK #17 especially) soundtrack...is...bee-yoo-tiful. <3

Miriel
07-22-2005, 02:58 AM
Any Cameron Crowe movie will always have fantastic music. Tarantino is impeccable with his music selection too.

Little Miss Awesome
07-22-2005, 01:27 PM
*bittersweet symphony* at the end of cruel intentions
*titanic song* at the end of titanic (still makes me cry!)
umm, cant think of anymore at the mo
I like the music from "Titanic", depressing as it may be! I'm sick of that song by Celine Dion though, I think it's tacky :p
I like the music from "Catch Me If You Can", it's good to sly about to :cool: and this song called "Woke Up This Morning" for "The Sopranos" :D
And "Helena" by "My Chemical Romance" at the end of "House Of Wax", I think it makes it seem sad, even though it was just plain scary :p

Rusty
07-22-2005, 02:26 PM
Sorry LMS, I thought Celine Dion's 'My Heart Will Go On' was one of the best peices of music in the Titanic - it was beautiful :)