PDA

View Full Version : My fist Calculator!

obiwanjacoby
07-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Her name's Veronica. And I have no idea what to do with her. She beat on a frog for two hours, achieving lvl. 62 and master status. I'm very proud to have one, but. . .

Problem is, I can't figure out calculate. In reality, I'm very intimidated by numbers. Is this math thing for real? It looks like some kinda random joke kind of thing. Everything I choose, I end up damaging my own party members. Is there any way to understand and maximize Veronica's new abilities?

-PJ

Flying Mullet
07-20-2005, 09:44 PM
Yes, it's math, but it's simple math. You have to choose what you want to do math on, height, level, etc..., then by what amount, 3, 4, etc...

So let's say that you choose "Level" and "4". This means that anybody who is at a level divisible by 4 will be effected by the spell you choose.

It does take a bit of work to do the math but it can be very powerful as there is no range to a math "spell" so you can hit nearly every enemy with a Holy or Flare or your entire party with a Cure 4 or Haste. But be careful because Math doesn't differentiate between friend and foe, so if you pick a Level 4 Flare and any of your characters' level is divisible by 4 (like 60), they'll get hit too.

Xaven
07-20-2005, 09:52 PM
Remember that most of the time, either a CTx4, or CTx5 will hit almost everybody on the field. Math skill is great if you know what you're doing because there is no charge time, and does not cost Mp.

It does take a bit of work to do the math but it can be very powerful as there is no range to a math "spell" so you can hit nearly every enemy with a Holy or Flare or your entire party with a Cure 4 or Haste.
Calculators can't cast Cure 4.

obiwanjacoby
07-20-2005, 11:32 PM
Okay, that's not as bad as I first thought.

I just got back from the Zalmo at Lesalia Gate encounter. I was just randomly messing around, and I had Veronica open the first move of the encounter with CT5 Holy.

OMG!!! :eek: It's like Tetsuo in Otomo's Akira! The rest of my party is gonna get pretty soft & lazy with her around. :D

Thanks for the tips!

-PJ

Azure Chrysanthemum
07-21-2005, 02:30 AM
If you really want Calculator Twinkage, get Chameleon Robes on everyone so your party absorbs Holy and then go nuts with the Calculating.

Despotus
07-21-2005, 05:26 AM
If you really want Calculator Twinkage, get Chameleon Robes on everyone so your party absorbs Holy and then go nuts with the Calculating.

Agreed. Having your party equip things which prevent status effects is great too. I personally like to give all my people 108 gems, Black Costumes, and Thief Hats (when possible) and then cast CT X 5 or 4: Frog, Stop, Don't Move, and Paralyze. This helps big time when you want to be a total kleptomaniac and steal all the enemies' gear. :drool: :shifty:

And just in case you haven't noticed yet: After you've selected your calculating parameters and chosen which spell to cast, the squares that will be hit with the spell (area of effect) are highlighted in blue. So you can look around the board and decide if the spell will hit the people you want to hit, and miss those you want to miss, before you commit to casting that spell on those characters. I often don't even bother with the math and just quickly check the area of effect of a few different parameter combinations.

The easiest parameter to manipulate is probably height. Just put all of your guys on heights of 0, 1, or (x).5 and you'll never hit your own troops. 'Dont Move', 'Sleep', or 'Stop' will ensure that enemies stay on the squares you want them to.

BG-57
07-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Excalibur swords also absorb Holy.

In addition, once your characters reach level 99, you can always hit your own party if you calculate 'Level' '3' with a beneficial spell.

Calulators are very slow in their own class, but Math Skill is the ultimate secondary ability. :D

darkblade117
07-21-2005, 08:56 PM
yep.. powerful warrior with math skills = total pwnage

RedCydranth
07-21-2005, 11:52 PM
Here's My fist calculator...

Fist + Face = Fist Wins
Fist + Rock Wall = Fist Loses
Fist + Fist = Wonder Twin Powers Activate!

Del Murder
07-24-2005, 05:57 PM
Math Skill is my favorite skill. Everything is a breeze with it.

Russ80
08-14-2005, 02:46 AM
I abandoned my first calculator. Too hard to get levels! I tried to use her in the Gafgarion execution hill/trick battle, and she always died before even getting a turn. :mad:

Dark Messenger
09-07-2005, 06:27 AM
When I want to master a Calculator, is use propositions. Unless it's Rafa or Ramza.. Ramza's easy, just use Scream or Yell everytime he gets a turn and he's gaining Speed AND JP! But the Calc. is generic, then just use propositions if there are any left. There's even a 'Master Math' proposition for Calculators!

Russ80
09-09-2005, 05:14 AM
When I want to master a Calculator, is use propositions. Unless it's Rafa or Ramza.. Ramza's easy, just use Scream or Yell everytime he gets a turn and he's gaining Speed AND JP! But the Calc. is generic, then just use propositions if there are any left. There's even a 'Master Math' proposition for Calculators!

interesting. That could work. I havent done any props at all in this game. I think ill wait for cloud.

Despotus
09-09-2005, 07:52 AM
When I want to master a Calculator, is use propositions.
Be sure to equip the Squire ability 'Gained JP Up' before you send troops out on propositions. And IMHO, you can gain JP even faster during battles. Take 4 troops that can handle the enemies all by themselves, and this Calculator:
Math Skill
Time Magic
Speed Save
Gained JP Up
Move Get JP
Have this guy wander around at the back of the battlefield and constantly cast Haste on himself. Bring a Monk or Chemist to replenish his MP when it gets low. And hit him with a physical attack once in a while to boost his speed. You'll master Calculator after a battle or two. ;)

greymon138
10-02-2005, 04:07 PM
I mastered a calculator. What I did is:
Equipment
Weapon
?
Thief Hat
Secret Clothes
Sprint Shoes(speed boot, speed shoes, hasty boots, whatever!)

This boosts the speed of the calculator. The skills is up to you, me, we, and everyone. :) :D

eestlinc
10-04-2005, 05:10 AM
yea, you need to boost the speed of a calculator because they are so slow it's hard to level them.