PDA

View Full Version : Running a Forum

Clouded Sky
07-21-2005, 02:04 AM
Ok, ok, here's the deal, my friend and I had this geniues idea to start a Harry Potter forum for our friends after reading HBP. Now, we're cheap, so it's on phpbbplanet. We wanted to make forums viewable by certain memebers i.e. four houses, four different sub-forums - i.e. slytherin can only see slytherin, hufflepuff can only see hufflepuff - etc. now i know that is done on forums quite often as like a staff forum and the like. i can't seem to find any help on php's site so i was hoping someone here maybe knew what to do. do i have to create four seperate groups and then give them permissions towards certain forums? i think that's the right way? i dunno. HELP!

Yamaneko
07-21-2005, 02:12 AM
Group Admin > Permissions > choose a group from the drop-down menu > Look up Group > Advanced Mode > have fun

Also, phpBB 2.0.x doesn't support subforums out of the box (metaphorically speaking). You'd need a hack to add that feature.

Dreddz
07-21-2005, 05:01 PM
Using that program isnt any good. If you want a good and more serious forum. Then pay for one. All these little forums arent gonna make it big

Yamaneko
07-21-2005, 06:57 PM
phpBB is the most widely used forum software on the Internet. It is more popular than vBulletin.

Samuraid
07-22-2005, 01:21 AM
Using that program isnt any good. If you want a good and more serious forum. Then pay for one. All these little forums arent gonna make it big

phpBB 2 first came out around the time of vBulletin 2. Form a technical and practical standpoint, phpBB2 was worlds beyond vB2. It still is.

vB3 brought in massive improvements to vBulletin as a whole but phpBB still remains an excellent choice...especially since phpBB3 is going to be out in the near future.