PDA

View Full Version : Battle system

FinalAeon
07-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Who thinks that the battle system is so much better in FFX than in FFX-2?

rikku&painerock
07-22-2005, 04:05 PM
not me i like the ffx-2 battle system better its fast and you have more attacks to choose from and to me its more fun

Ohhh
07-22-2005, 04:15 PM
I lurve the ffx-2 battle system, fast furious and fun :D
and the dresspheres! WOW!! to pick and choose your abilities, skills and attacks AND outfit! what genious came up with that idea :love:

Christmas
07-22-2005, 04:25 PM
I lurve the ffx-2 battle system, fast furious and fun :D
and the dresspheres! WOW!! to pick and choose your abilities, skills and attacks AND outfit! what genious came up with that idea :love:

;)

boys from the dwarf
07-22-2005, 05:52 PM
i havent voted.i prefer the FF7 FF8 and FF9 and 5 and 6 atbs.i like FFx-2s but its kinda dodgy.i like Xs battle system better because its give you time to prepare your moves and plan it out but i prefer the classic atbs.

Destai
07-22-2005, 07:11 PM
I like them both.

SeeDRankLou
07-22-2005, 10:19 PM
The battle system in FFX-2 is infinitely better than the one in FFX.

Destai
07-22-2005, 10:24 PM
The battle system in FFX-2 is infinitely better than the one in FFX.Considering how unchallenging every battle was in X-2 I'd have to disagree. You could hold down the x button and win most fights. At least in X tactics were a large part of the battle system and that made it much more entertaining.

Tidus5
07-22-2005, 10:32 PM
The thing I liked about ffx is that you could switch it to 'wait' mode.

Zanius
07-22-2005, 10:59 PM

Same opinion! ;)

Mo-Nercy
07-23-2005, 04:01 AM
FFX was permanently set to wait mode. There was no other option. That's why I hated it. You had all the time in the world to make a decision, therefore making victory a sure thing. It's practically impossible to get KOed in FFX because you have a huge wealth of characters to switch in and out. It's stupidly easy.

FFX-2, on the other hand, forces you to rush. Whoever said battles in FFX-2 are easy compared to those of FFX are mistaken. There are a variety of factors to take into account. How far your character is from the opponent changes from battle to battle, so a Warrior or Samurai would have more running time and less attacking speed compared to a Gunner or Alchemist. Different dresspheres for different characters make a huge difference in how the game is played. Yuna makes a pretty lousy Lady Luck because her attack motion is slower, Paine however, attacks almost instatanously and it's this that can make the difference between life and death. Don't get me started on how slow Yuna's DK is. The fact that your ATB gauge now varies depending on the recovery of your previous attack makes for a strategic fight because now you have to be able to estimate whether the enemy will attack you between your last Trigger Happy and your next attack, unlike in FFX, where you know exactly when the enemy will attack, making for a boring battle.

rikku&painerock
07-23-2005, 06:37 AM
^^^ everything you said is so true :cool:

Old Manus
07-23-2005, 10:32 AM
Battles in FFX-2 are worse than the game. It's so bad that the game goes negative and collapses and creates a black hole.

Tai-Ti
07-23-2005, 11:48 AM
dont really like the battle system, cause tis close to the traditional battle system, but not close enuff!

Destai
07-23-2005, 12:08 PM
FFX was permanently set to wait mode. There was no other option. That's why I hated it. You had all the time in the world to make a decision, therefore making victory a sure thing. It's practically impossible to get KOed in FFX because you have a huge wealth of characters to switch in and out. It's stupidly easy.

FFX-2, on the other hand, forces you to rush. Whoever said battles in FFX-2 are easy compared to those of FFX are mistaken. There are a variety of factors to take into account. How far your character is from the opponent changes from battle to battle, so a Warrior or Samurai would have more running time and less attacking speed compared to a Gunner or Alchemist. Different dresspheres for different characters make a huge difference in how the game is played. Yuna makes a pretty lousy Lady Luck because her attack motion is slower, Paine however, attacks almost instatanously and it's this that can make the difference between life and death. Don't get me started on how slow Yuna's DK is. The fact that your ATB gauge now varies depending on the recovery of your previous attack makes for a strategic fight because now you have to be able to estimate whether the enemy will attack you between your last Trigger Happy and your next attack, unlike in FFX, where you know exactly when the enemy will attack, making for a boring battle.What are you talking about? For every battle all I did was hold down the x button in X-2 and I won. Well just about every battle. (On the odd occasion I had to go to the bother of healing) Try that same stratedgey in X and you wont last long. Knowing when the emeny attacks doesnt make it more boring in the slightest because (wait, Wtf? You find it entertaining when the enemy attacks :confused: ) any decent player is able to plan ahead and work out the best stratdgey for defeating the monster. You need to use different party memebers to defeat certain monsters and theres plenty of other details to take into consideration so you dont end up holding down X and wating for the battle to end.

Tai-Ti
07-23-2005, 12:26 PM
Destai is to right, neways, wat if in battle the enemy used an attck that affects/KO's ur whole party? (Yunalessca, im lookin @ u!) Another bad thing bout the battle system or X-2 is that u didnt need to use special attacks often, and the battle feild often gets confusing, id ont think they label who's turn it is clearly enuff, but thats me.

tailz
07-23-2005, 02:00 PM
i like x better give you more time

Tricia
07-24-2005, 03:23 AM
Wow. Are you sure about that? I hope you really know how the battle system goes. Victory in the battles of FFX does not depend in the time you have at all. It depends on how you think and also your strategies. Sure, you have all the time in the whole world, but what if you make a wrong move. That ruins all the victory right?

Also, I liked FFX better because you can use a special attack known as the OVERDRIVE, while in FFX-2, you can't. You just have to use all the different abilities of the dresspheres and no other choice. That's what I hate about it, there's no overdrives.

And when you see Yuna, Rikku and Paine, changing their dresspheres, don't you think it looks exactly like Sailor Moon?

Del Murder
07-24-2005, 03:28 AM
I like X's better because it allowed for more time to think strategy. I like to think a couple moves ahead, and I like to know exactly how many turns someone has before the enemy's.

boys from the dwarf
07-24-2005, 08:35 AM
Battles in FFX-2 are worse than the game. It's so bad that the game goes negative and collapses and creates a black hole.
im lucky that i survivied when i fell in im diggin my way out with a spoon right now.(lucky my computer fell in the hole as well.

Old Manus
07-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Soon FFX-2 will engulf all in it's supreme black hole of crapness. You are not safe. No one is safe.

Fireblade13
07-25-2005, 01:18 PM
Is it possible just to slw the battle system so that I don't feel forced into hitting x as rapidly as possible.

SeeDRankLou
07-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Considering how unchallenging every battle was in X-2 I'd have to disagree. You could hold down the x button and win most fights. At least in X tactics were a large part of the battle system and that made it much more entertaining.
What? How unchallenging the battle in X-2 were? The battles in X were jokingly easy. They gave you far too much time to strategize, and you knew exactly when the enemies were going to attack. You didn't know what the enemy was going to do (and sometimes you did), but you knew when it was going to happen and you could adjust accordingly. And only one thing was happening at a time ever. When Rikku entered the mix, it became even easier. Not to mention almost every regular fiend in the game could be killed with a single strike by one of the characters. Except for some of the boss battles, X was extremely unchallenging until you got to Mt. Gagazet, and then it was only moderately challenging.

While X-2's battles were easy, they also involved a great deal of strategy. The battles were hectic and chaotic, giving one little time to think or plan, so you had to know what you were doing, or what you could do at least, before the battle started. I liked that, I thought it was loads of fun, and I personally though it was insanely fun to put the battle speed on the fastest it had. You could play with various combinations and the same battle could be fought in so many different ways. Everyone on the screen could attack at once, and the fiends took advantage of that just as much as the girls did. You could stop a fiend's attack by attacking it during its attack. The strongest fiends in the game could be brought down by a combination of status effects and stalling. There were so many other senarios that involved good thinking, quick thinking and strategy (not just using two dark knights and an alchemist the whole way through, which is cheap). All I have to say is this: Get in a random fight with an Amorphous Gel and a Protean Gel, and then tell me it's easy.

The battle system in FFX was mundane and involved little thinking. My one-year-old niece could probably play FFX effectively. FFX-2 required you to think on your toes and use various strategies effectively, and made it really fun. And thusly, I like FFX-2 battle system much much better.

Is it possible just to slw the battle system so that I don't feel forced into hitting x as rapidly as possible.
You can go into the options menu and put it on Wait Mode and put everything on slow.

Destai
07-25-2005, 11:12 PM
Considering how unchallenging every battle was in X-2 I'd have to disagree. You could hold down the x button and win most fights. At least in X tactics were a large part of the battle system and that made it much more entertaining.
What? How unchallenging the battle in X-2 were? The battles in X were jokingly easy. They gave you far too much time to strategize, and you knew exactly when the enemies were going to attack. You didn't know what the enemy was going to do (and sometimes you did), but you knew when it was going to happen and you could adjust accordingly. And only one thing was happening at a time ever. When Rikku entered the mix, it became even easier. Not to mention almost every regular fiend in the game could be killed with a single strike by one of the characters. Except for some of the boss battles, X was extremely unchallenging until you got to Mt. Gagazet, and then it was only moderately challenging.

While X-2's battles were easy, they also involved a great deal of strategy. The battles were hectic and chaotic, giving one little time to think or plan, so you had to know what you were doing, or what you could do at least, before the battle started. I liked that, I thought it was loads of fun, and I personally though it was insanely fun to put the battle speed on the fastest it had. You could play with various combinations and the same battle could be fought in so many different ways. Everyone on the screen could attack at once, and the fiends took advantage of that just as much as the girls did. You could stop a fiend's attack by attacking it during its attack. The strongest fiends in the game could be brought down by a combination of status effects and stalling. There were so many other senarios that involved good thinking, quick thinking and strategy (not just using two dark knights and an alchemist the whole way through, which is cheap). All I have to say is this: Get in a random fight with an Amorphous Gel and a Protean Gel, and then tell me it's easy.

The battle system in FFX was mundane and involved little thinking. My one-year-old niece could probably play FFX effectively. FFX-2 required you to think on your toes and use various strategies effectively, and made it really fun. And thusly, I like FFX-2 battle system much much better.
They werent easier because there was too much time. Time wasnt a factor. In X you used stratedgey or you lost the fight. You needed a particular character for a particular monster or you were at a big disadvantage. Wakka for flying monsters, Lulu for magical, Tidus for agile, Auron for defensive. If you didnt watch what characters you were using you were in trouble. In X-2 you held the X button and watched your hp and you won. Ridiculously easy? X was as easy as any other FF past FFV. Except for FFX-2 which is the easiest FF to date.

SeeDRankLou
07-26-2005, 01:10 AM
They werent easier because there was too much time. Time wasnt a factor. In X you used stratedgey or you lost the fight.
First of all, the strategy in FFX was laughably basic and unchangable until you got Lv 3 Key Spheres. Second, time not being a factor is what made it easy. In all other FFs time has been a factor. For example, in FFVIII, Ultima Weapon was rather difficult. Not necessarily because of the attacks it did or anything like that, but because it was so damn fast. It could do like two attacks in the time you entered one attack (depending on your Spd-J). And you had to change what you were doing everytime it performed Light Pillar. In FFX, I could be fighting Nemesis. No matter how much more speed Nemesis might have than me (if I've gotten to Nemesis then obviously it's at least decent), I can start the battle with Auron with his Masamune. If Nemesis is the next turn, first of all I'll know, second I'll just be able to bring Yuna out and Aeon block. Then, when it's turn is over, I can get up and go make some spaghetti because I might be hungry. I can come back, and it's still my turn. In any other FF, I would be dead. Any boss would have killed me had I done that, hell a Bite Bug could have probably killed me. But in FFX, time doesn't exist in battle, and thus you will always know whose turn is next and know exactly when and probably exactly how to evade an oncoming attack, something that you are not privy to in any other FF for the most part.

In FFX-2, first of all if you are just holding down the X button then you are not having fun, which is one of the cool things about it. Second, you are not limited to one or a few strategies that will work, you can be innovative and still be effective, for there are many many strategies to use. And if you get bored with one, you can just use another one. Additionally, all characters and all fiends can simultaneously attack, which is another thing you must worry about and adjust for and have fun with. Status effects are also used far more than I've seen in any previous FF. There is so much to take into account and have fun with, not to mention the speed. Now due to the lack of difficult bosses, FFX-2 is easier overall than FFX, but FFX battle system in general is much easier than it is in FFX-2.

Destai
07-26-2005, 02:04 AM
First of all, the strategy in FFX was laughably basic and unchangable until you got Lv 3 Key Spheres. Second, time not being a factor is what made it easy. In all other FFs time has been a factor. For example, in FFVIII, Ultima Weapon was rather difficult. Not necessarily because of the attacks it did or anything like that, but because it was so damn fast. It could do like two attacks in the time you entered one attack (depending on your Spd-J). And you had to change what you were doing everytime it performed Light Pillar. In FFX, I could be fighting Nemesis. No matter how much more speed Nemesis might have than me (if I've gotten to Nemesis then obviously it's at least decent), I can start the battle with Auron with his Masamune. If Nemesis is the next turn, first of all I'll know, second I'll just be able to bring Yuna out and Aeon block. Then, when it's turn is over, I can get up and go make some spaghetti because I might be hungry. I can come back, and it's still my turn. In any other FF, I would be dead. Any boss would have killed me had I done that, hell a Bite Bug could have probably killed me. But in FFX, time doesn't exist in battle, and thus you will always know whose turn is next and know exactly when and probably exactly how to evade an oncoming attack, something that you are not privy to in any other FF for the most part.And what would be the difference in pressing the pause button in any other FF? If I just attacked every round in X then I'd lose which is why stratedgey in that game is necessary. Attacking again and again wont work in most FF's. Particularly X. It works very well in X-2. though.

In FFX-2, first of all if you are just holding down the X button then you are not having fun, But I can hold down the X button. I dont have to try to win. I do in X. I need to plan ahead to stay alive in X. Not necessary in X-2.
which is one of the cool things about it.What?
Second, you are not limited to one or a few strategies that will work, you can be innovative and still be effective, for there are many many strategies to use. Yeah because you have to pretty damn bad at video game to lose in the first place.
And if you get bored with one, you can just use another one. Wow its almost like I cant lose!
Additionally, all characters and all fiends can simultaneously attack, which is another thing you must worry about and adjust for and have fun with. I dont see whats particularly fun about that added realism.
Status effects are also used far more than I've seen in any previous FF. There is so much to take into account and have fun with, not to mention the speed.You still win either way. A stratedgey is useless if theres no point in having it. You still win.
Now due to the lack of difficult bosses, FFX-2 is easier overall than FFX, but FFX battle system in general is much easier than it is in FFX-2.That geninely makes X's battle system sound better S.R.L. Maybe this is my personal taste but Id imagine most people would feel X gets the best of both in how you described it.

Tricia
07-26-2005, 03:07 AM
FFX-2 required you to think on your toes and use various strategies effectively, and made it really fun.
It wasn't really fun. Most of the battles there can be won by just pressing the X button over and over again. While FFX's require more strategy. Why? You're right, you have all the time you need in the game, but what if you make wrong moves? That ruins all the victory, right? Honestly, think about it.

In FFX-2, first of all if you are just holding down the X button then you are not having fun, which is one of the cool things about it.
That makes absolutely no sense at all.

Now due to the lack of difficult bosses, FFX-2 is easier overall than FFX, but FFX battle system in general is much easier than it is in FFX-2.
How can it be easier? When you have hundreds of sphere nodes to activate, think lots of strategies, and doesn't only have to press the X button, but other buttons as well?

Mo-Nercy
07-26-2005, 05:15 AM
Wow. Are you sure about that? Are you sure about that? I hope you really know how the battle system goes. Victory in the battles of FFX does not depend in the time you have at all. It depends on how you think and also your strategies. Sure, you have all the time in the whole world, but what if you make a wrong move. That ruins all the victory right?
So what you're saying is: FFX is hard because I might accidently pick the wrong attack?

Let's get on the ball here. FFX-2 and FFX both have fairly simplistic battle systems compared to other RPGs. My earlier argument was that while FFX required strategy (and not exactly the type that demands PhD levels of intelligence, or even grade school levels) FFX-2 required quick thinking. FFX-2 may have a system that doesn't require as much thought and consideration into what you're doing, the time frame in which you have to do it is infinitely times smaller. The other factors I earlier mentioned don't have a heavy impact in battles usually, I admit, but sometimes they do come up. Don't tell you me you haven't lost a battle in FFX-2 by a hair breadth, as your last Dark Knight is running up to finish an enemy only to get pounded by some long range attack. FFX doesn't have anything like this because battles are in Wait mode.

Old Manus
07-26-2005, 11:22 AM
FFX had very easy-to-win battles, and in FFX-2 it was nigh on impossible to lose. You're all arguaing about the same thing, but with different games. The fact is, FFX-2 was easier. I think we can all agree there.

Fireblade13
07-26-2005, 11:38 PM
Plus have you seen that Jumbo Flan. X-2 would have made that Battle impossible. Stradegy is what I love not hitting a button at the right time but using the right move at the right time to load your opponent with problems instead of a whak whak fight. I will agree showing your opponents atack times was easy but it allowed you to utilize your moves better. This is why there are so many auto abilitys in X-2