PDA

View Full Version : Why do people label FF7's world as Gaia?

BabyVixen
07-23-2005, 01:12 AM
What similarities are there?

Rengori
07-23-2005, 01:22 AM
It hints Earth several times throughout the game, biggest hint being Super Nova, so I don't see why anyone would call FF7's world Gaia.

TheAbominatrix
07-23-2005, 01:23 AM
Square Enix has called it Gaia. Refer to this thread http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=66040&highlight=gaia

Tedbear
07-23-2005, 02:07 AM
This has got nothing to do with the earth thing.....but i was thinking, if he has an attack like super nova why did he even bother with the whole black meator materia thing?

TheAbominatrix
07-23-2005, 02:09 AM
Super Nova is symbolic in its planetary destruction. If it wasnt, why would the planets be back on his next casting of it?

Rengori
07-23-2005, 02:43 AM
This has got nothing to do with the earth thing.....but i was thinking, if he has an attack like super nova why did he even bother with the whole black meator materia thing?
You were imagining things.

Kakashi509
07-23-2005, 02:49 AM
maybe only you think people call the world gaia, but they don't

TheAbominatrix
07-23-2005, 02:59 AM
Save for the fact that Square-Enix calls the world Gaia in the pamplet released about Advent Children, and yes people here do call the world Gaia.

Dreddz
07-23-2005, 09:37 AM
wasnt Gaia FFIX's world, or very similier
ooo does that mean that FFIX could be in FFVII's world but along time before
*goes on scooby doo exploration*

-N-
07-23-2005, 11:10 AM
Holy crap, guys, Gaia is Greek for Earth. It can be used in more than one game. Just like Ivalice. Except that isn't Greek.

Kappy
07-23-2005, 12:46 PM
Yeah, I asked this question. It makes sense enough, though it's probably called Gaea, to be picky. Y'know, Gaea's Cliff and all.

Tedbear
07-23-2005, 01:44 PM
hey......pretend that the planet was earth.....and the meteor did crash.....could that make "spirits within" a possible sequel thingy?

Squall of SeeD
07-23-2005, 04:53 PM
As has been said, Square-Enix themselves have called the Planet "Gaia":

Linkage (http://www.geocities.com/ff7analysis/Planet.html).

It hardly makes for a problem for them to have done this. They've used "Earth" four times now (Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within), and "Ivalice" twice (Final Fantasy: Tactics Advance and Final Fantasy XII; Final Fantasy: Tactics merely occurs in a country called "Ivalice").

abrojtm
07-24-2005, 01:04 AM
I thought it was called the Blue Planet in FFIV?

Squall of SeeD
07-24-2005, 08:16 AM
I thought it was called the Blue Planet in FFIV?

It is, but it's also called "Earth":

"One born of a dragon, bearing darkness and light, shall rise to the
heavens over the still land. Bathing the moon in eternal light, he
brings a promise to Mother Earth with bounty and grace. But someday the
moon shall depart, seeking its own light. The sons of moon and Earth
shall then part, divided by the flow of time."

FuSoYa: In eons past, a planet between Mars and Jupiter verged on
extinction. The survivors escaped by ship to the blue planet.

Cecil: The blue planet...? Our home?

FuSoYa: Yes, Earth. But because the people of Earth were still
evolving, the survivors created another moon, where they now sleep.

Sefie1999AD
07-24-2005, 10:35 AM
It's called "the Planet" during FFVII several times. I don't think they've mentioned Gaia anywhere on the script. That Gaia thing must be one of those random continuity errors from Square Enix, the others being changing Cloud's birthday from August 19th to August 11th, Barret's name to Barett and Tifa's last name "Lockheart" to "Lockhart".

waterdawg
07-24-2005, 10:40 AM
They even use it in the FF Movie. :joker: :hahaha: If you have played any games of this type most but not all use Gia instead of Earth. Nuff
Said

Slade
07-24-2005, 10:48 AM
Holy crap, guys, Gaia is Greek for Earth.

Nuff said

Squall of SeeD
07-24-2005, 08:52 PM
It's called "the Planet" during FFVII several times. I don't think they've mentioned Gaia anywhere on the script.

The icy cliffs at the top of the world are called "Gaia's Cliffs," so it's in there.

They even use it in the FF Movie. :joker: :hahaha: If you have played any games of this type most but not all use Gia instead of Earth. Nuff
Said

That's not the same thing, actually. Earth was the Planet in The Spirits Within (our Earth). "Gaia" was the name given to its Lifestream.

bipper
07-24-2005, 10:36 PM
Super Nova is symbolic in its planetary destruction. If it wasnt, why would the planets be back on his next casting of it?

Lets look at Sepiroth - He wants to become a god basically - so it is thought. His name comes from the Kabbalah, in which the ten sephiroth on the Tree of Life represent different aspects of God.

Now his super nova spell envelopes the planets and creates the nova to devistate your team - (But being the powered Grunt soilder, Bartender, One armed gimp, mutt, puff doll, Adolecant ADD thief, and gothic outcast that you are it dont hurt much :) ) There are different takes on the tree of life and being that the origional had ten sepiroth it may be symbolic for sephiroth calling all his power into one attack - or mabey summoning a god to attack - or mabey it was just a cool idea? I dunno

The word Gaia is Greek for Earth Mother btw (dunno if it is greek for earth too - dont think so though) But I think for Final Fantasy it is
fitting because the Gaia theory basically says:" biomass modifies the conditions on the planet to make conditions on the planet more hospitable for life" - what can we call that complex bio mass :)

There is no one real definition of the gaia theory. Rather its a number of theories that all pretty much say that a life force (or life in general) makes the planet suiting for itself.

Hope this some what may have answered any questions
Bipper

TheAbominatrix
07-24-2005, 10:39 PM
I know all that, I'm merely saying that those planets werent really destroyed, because if they were the spell could only be done once.

bipper
07-24-2005, 10:45 PM
woa, its a good thing you pointed that out :) I was just delving into why the spell graphics like that - Combining the Gaia theory and such it may just seemed like another interesting point to speroth.

Its too bad nothing was learned outta the last post :) I took some good time on it :(

Lol
Bipper

TheAbominatrix
07-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Oh Im sure other people will find it informative, I just know the information on it already. It was a lovely post <3