PDA

View Full Version : I hate freeserve xD

Lenna
07-24-2005, 12:17 AM
Okay, so after multiple letters threatening to cut us off the internet we've been cut off the net, just because of the bandwidth used by 2 computers on a network. 30gb is very stupid for bandwidth limit.

So now I'm internetless, but that's not the point of this thread.

The whole point of this thread is to ask what I do.

We've tried to register with AOL Broadband so we can get internet access but they've said that our number is already occupied by another ISP. See we already have a modem from freeserve but we can't connect with AOL unless we have a server code to connect to the modem.

So tomorrow I have to phone them up, I just have no idea what I'm going to say.

With all the technical stuff what would be a good idea to say when asking about AOL and about this server stuff, because I've been left home alone and I really don't know a clue about any of this stuff.

crono_logical
07-24-2005, 12:42 AM
You might have been cut off, yes, but your phone line is still physically attached to Freeserve, which is why you can't register for another broadband ISP at the moment.

Basically you can do one of two things:

1) Completely cancel Freeserve and get their service disconnected from your phone line. This frees it up and you can now pick a new ISP.

2) Ask for that server code or whatever they're calling it they're asking for from your old ISP. Basically it's just a reference code for your ADSL connection to let you migrate from one ISP to another - the ISPs can use this and directly transfer the connection from one ISP to another, rather than having the line disconnected, then you wait 15 days or whatever just for it to be reconnected again for the other ISP to use. Make it clear that you want to migrate or change ISP so you get the right code, and make sure it's the old ISP you're calling to get the code from.

In either case, you'll no longer be able to connect to your old ISP. Also, I'd suggest you read the Terms and Conditions of whoever you pick as the new ISP and what limits there are if any, otherwise you might just end up doing the same thing on the new ISP :p

Lenna
07-24-2005, 12:46 AM
The reason we are going on AOL is because they are offering Unlimited Bandwidth for 29.99 so we're gonna go for it so we don't have this again.