PDA

View Full Version : The Gothic Rock Music Thread

Doleful_Romance
07-24-2005, 10:49 PM
Is anyone in here that enjoys listening to gothic rock and bands like The Mission, The Sisters Of Mercy, Nosferatu, Funhouse, Elusive, The 69 Eyes etc? Please share your opinions with me! :)

Chris
07-24-2005, 10:51 PM
Nina Hagen, yes.

jrgen
07-24-2005, 11:18 PM
My favourite band, Janus, is often referred to as Gothic Rock or Gothic Metal. I really like bands like Lacrimosa, Adversus, Samsas Traum and ASP too.

Dazed and Confused
07-25-2005, 04:47 AM
I prefer Goth hip-hop

Doleful_Romance
07-25-2005, 04:21 PM
@Jrgen: Yes, Janus is something inbetween gothic rock and gothic metal generally, a very interesting band, not of my favourites though. Lacrimosa is one of my favourite bands around, a magnificent gothic metal/rock opera! Tilo Wolff is indeed a genious mind composing pure Art, not just music, filling the world with uterly emotional compositions! Samsas Traum, i haven't too much from them, but what i've heard remind me a lot of Lacriosa! :) Are Adversus any good? It's the first time i hear their name. as for ASP i don't think they are gothic rock or something, i consider them as EBm/dark wave or something like that!

@Dazed And Confused: Could you please name some gothic hip hop bands? I'd appreciate it a lot :) It's the first time i listen to this genre! :)

jrgen
07-25-2005, 06:45 PM
I agree with you when it comes to ASP. They aren't very Gothic, but that's usually what they're labelled as. They do, however, have gothic influences in some of their songs. Adversus is a great, fairly new, band. Their music is pretty unusual, so it's hard to describe it. It's some kind of Gothic Rock with Industrial and Medieval influences and soprano/clean male and female/screamy black metal vocals. The balance between rock/metal music and non-rock music is about the same as Lacrimosa's. Listen to some samples on http://www.adversus.de/. Try out the song Seelenwinter.

tailz
07-25-2005, 08:19 PM
mostly goth rock and the only two bands i listen to are nightwish and flowing tears for the rest punk

Doleful_Romance
07-25-2005, 10:44 PM
@jrgen: Thankzz a lot mate for the recommndation :) I will check Advrsus as soon as possible :)

@tailz: Well, nightwish have nothing to do neither with gothic rock nor gothic in any possible way, they had some very few referrences on their first two albums but nothing more! they are symphonic power metal, nothing more, nothing less! As for Flowing Tears they are more an atmospheric metal band generally, with their early releases being gothic/doom metal, but not gothic rock or gothic metal in general.

ZeZipster
07-25-2005, 10:52 PM
Joy Division is it for me.

Shadowdust
07-26-2005, 07:50 AM
I enjoyed the Floodlands album from Sisters of Mercy. Other than that, I'm a really big fan of The Shroud. They make some really beautiful music. Joy Divison is okay but the lead singers voice is kind of painful to listen to. Btw, just a quck question. One of my friends was saying that after one of the band members of Joy Division committed suicide that the band reinvented themselves into New Order. Is there truth to what he said or what?

Princess_Yuna
07-26-2005, 11:45 AM
Hey do you know Rozz Williams!

Dazed and Confused
07-26-2005, 11:48 AM
I think Black Sabbath is about as gothic as I get. Or maybe Smashing Pumpkins if they count. I suddenly feel out of place for some strange reason

GooeyToast
07-26-2005, 11:53 AM
I'm not into goth much.

Yes, Black Sabbath is goth by my standards as well.

~Keep it gooey~

Zeldy
07-26-2005, 02:50 PM
NightWish?
I love them :love:

AsleepbyDawn
08-02-2005, 05:36 AM
Metal is not goth for those that think it is. Goth is way mellow and have dark undertons. I am a very big fan of goth rock music including it subgenres such as Dark Wave and Ethreal. I like Black Tape for a Blue Girl, Sisters of Mercy, Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, The Cruxshadows, The Cure, Christian Death with Rozz Williams, London After Midnight, Mira, Switchblade Symphony, Human Drama, Bella Morte, The 69 Eyes, and many more. I am very opionated when it comes to goth rock. ^^

jrgen
08-02-2005, 06:56 AM
Who said metal was gothic? The two can be mixed, which creates gothic metal. So, does anyone know the gothic metal band Letzte Instanz? They are one of my favourites aswell.

AsleepbyDawn
08-02-2005, 07:08 AM
Well this is a gothic rock thread. If it said Gothic music then I would think it will be ok but Gothic Rock is another name for Goth music.

Project G
08-02-2005, 10:19 AM
Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, H.I.M. (merely masquerading as a goth band though), The Cure, Marilyn Manson

Pure Strife
08-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Lacuna Coil, Nightwish, H.I.M. (merely masquerading as a goth band though), The Cure, Marilyn Manson

I can't wait till the genre nazis and "true goths" read that.

Max
08-03-2005, 06:23 PM
Only goth rock i like is atreyu the rest is regular :cool:

Cuchulainn
08-03-2005, 07:57 PM
Atreyu are hardly Gothic Rock. They are amazing but they aren't Gothic. I feel Goths are more of a way of life than one particular music genre anyway. Not my particular style, but I respect their statement.

Joy Division is it for me.

Joy Division are Gothic rock? Are you mad?

One of my friends was saying that after one of the band members of Joy Division committed suicide that the band reinvented themselves into New Order. Is there truth to what he said or what?

Joy Division were possibly one of the greatest bands of all time. Ian Curtis did indeed commit suicide, he was a heroin addict and was on a downer. The remainder of the band did indeed go on to form New Order.

I noticed there isn't one sanctimonious, pretentious 'gothic rock sucks' post like we see in the hip hop threads. Funny that, we do'nt feel the need to mock or dismiss genres like rock nazis seem to need to do.

Kodra
08-03-2005, 11:53 PM
I prefer Cradle Of Filth.

AsleepbyDawn
08-04-2005, 01:33 AM
Metal does not equal goth rock music. If it said Gothic music I would not be so cruel. Though I am no genre nazi I know my genres and I understand people freak out but like anything else genres are created to define the technical aspects and lyrics ideas of music. Gothic Rock or Goth Rock is mellow and punk influences music. Try listening to some Faith and the Muse or Christian Death (with Rozz Williams) or maybe some old school like Bauhaus and Sisters of Mercy.

Joy Division is consider old school post punk/ goth rock. They created the scene which we consider goth scene. Though at the time there music was punk but latter on in the 80s the subculture following bands like Siouxsie and the Banshees and Bauhaus were consider "goth". Similar to idea of Hip Hop Culture and Punk Culture and Metal Culture etc... Each has its own style, flavor and following.

Princess_Yuna
08-04-2005, 08:37 AM
I'm sorry but if you think that H.I.M is a goth band then you must be joking!It's love metal!

Project G
08-04-2005, 09:58 AM
I'm sorry but if you think that H.I.M is a goth band then you must be joking!It's love metal!

Thats why I said merely masquerading as a goth rock band.

And what is all this nazis and "true goths" stuff about?

Dreddz
08-04-2005, 12:41 PM
I prefer Goth hip-hop
lmao.....

Princess_Yuna
08-05-2005, 08:41 AM

Come on it isn't for sth. especially!You just have to answer what the topic says & you don't do this!Finally you shouldn't mention HIM! :tongue:

FallenSilence
08-05-2005, 09:22 AM

Genre nazis, I would guess, are people who are very specific about which bands are classified as whaich music, and no doubt they wouldn't classify a lot of the bands in your list as Gothic, because they aren't Gothic by true standards.

True Goths would probably not count your bands as Gothic Rock either. I think what was being said is that you may not understand the genre of Gothic Rock properly, but I could be wrong.

Necronopticous
08-05-2005, 09:50 AM
Is Bobby McFerrin considered gothic rock?

Montoya
08-05-2005, 10:10 PM
I like Tristania and Theatre of Tragedy. But then again they might be doom metal. Genre Nazis :p

Princess_Yuna
08-06-2005, 08:11 AM
Hahahaha.......what a joke!

GooeyToast
08-06-2005, 08:35 AM
I'm dying of laughter.....

Princess_Yuna
08-06-2005, 11:58 AM
That's good!It's better dying like that!