07-25-2005, 09:04 PM
Looks like it's Longhorn no more...

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx

Destai
07-25-2005, 09:19 PM
That meant nothing to me xD

Odaisé Gaelach
07-25-2005, 09:29 PM
For the past few years the next version of Windows went under the codename Longhorn. Recently Microsoft announced that it was going to be sold under the name Windows Vista.

Destai
07-25-2005, 09:31 PM
For the past few years the next version of Windows went under the codename Longhorn. Recently Microsoft announced that it was going to be sold under the name Windows Vista.Ah now I get it, Well that sounds alot better than longhorn.

edczxcvbnm
07-25-2005, 09:33 PM
This is a Vista Cruiser...you can literally...cruise the vista.

Dumb Name. Windows 360 XD

Odaisé Gaelach
07-25-2005, 09:36 PM
I think that they were going to call it Windows FX, but AMD have the trademark on FX already.

Alice
07-25-2005, 10:32 PM
Hm.. windows is crap neways, we should all switch to mac os x... by the time vista comes out, the new OSX will come out... which is great news because right now we pretty much can tell vista is copying just about everything from the last osx Tiger. Apples OS will be far superior.

I am thankful they did change the name to vista though, longhorn was a bit too "republican" for my liking... >.<

Dr.K
07-26-2005, 01:21 AM
Same excrement, different label? :p

Shoeberto
07-26-2005, 03:28 AM
They're also facing lawsuits for copyright infringement.

It is a dumb name. I'll probably ride XP until it's no longer supported and then try to switch full time to Linux. I'll just have to...you know...stop playing PC games ;_;

edczxcvbnm
07-26-2005, 03:32 AM
I will still play PC games and I may make a full switch to a Mac OS in the future and just use an emulator to emulate a windows OS to play PC games. I don't play many but the number of good ones that interest me has increased ever since Warcraft 3 hit. Then DooM and Half-life and soon .hack//ONline game and there are other smaller titles like Mechwarrior and Farcry which also interest me.

Odaisé Gaelach
07-26-2005, 08:15 PM
I grew up on Windows. I think that it's a great OS. Macs are way too... limited. There are a million more things that you can do on a Windows PC than on a Mac.

The only reason I would get a Mac is for iMovie, and even then it's held back by encoding things for use with the terrible Quicktime program.

Shoeberto
07-27-2005, 12:30 AM
I grew up on Windows. I think that it's a great OS. Macs are way too... limited. There are a million more things that you can do on a Windows PC than on a Mac.
I'm not really a huge Linux fanboy that'll spew out a bunch of obvious BS about how the OS performs, but I disagree with Microsoft's practices. I also remember hearing things about even stricter and forced DRM schemes in the new release.

Plus I'm cheap and enjoy legit programs. Linux is free...without pirating! It's a good thing.

Yamaneko
07-27-2005, 01:19 AM
Apparently it's possible to get Steam and HL2 to work using Cadega. Anyway, the Windows OS is a piece of crap, but Microsoft has sunk its teeth into the industry, and with DirectX under their control, the PC game market will not be leaving for Linux distros anytime soon.

I don't care what they call the next Windows, it's still going to be made by Microsoft.

Shoeberto
07-27-2005, 01:27 AM
Apparently it's possible to get Steam and HL2 to work using Cadega. Anyway, the Windows OS is a piece of crap, but Microsoft has sunk its teeth into the industry, and with DirectX under their control, the PC game market will not be leaving for Linux distros anytime soon.

I don't care what they call the next Windows, it's still going to be made by Microsoft.
Cedega is still iffy at best with a lot of games. I was able to get Counter-strike running well, but it seemed like if one thing worked, another was broken.

Even though I love my Valve games, I give Id mad props for making direct Linux ports of games sans emulation.

Aphelion
07-27-2005, 02:44 AM
I just hope it's not a vista of hell wallet-wise...$!

The name is a bit lame, isn't it? The translation for "vista", in Brazilian, is "view" (like no one could figure it out...)...Well, Microsoft isn't known for their naming originality...

About the product itself: I have nothing against Microsoft, nor Mac and anything, but I'll definitely get Vista (now I realize how the name is SO lame...)...I'm used to the system, and it's kind of a "default" OS... So, I guess I'll stick to that...

Odaisé Gaelach
07-27-2005, 09:18 PM
The name is a bit lame, isn't it? The translation for "vista", in Brazilian, is "view" (like no one could figure it out...)...Well, Microsoft isn't known for their naming originality...

The name is pretty bad, but maybe it'll grow on people.

I think that XP was Microsoft's best name - XP came from eXPerience.