PDA

View Full Version : Megaman Series

Cruise Control
07-26-2005, 01:49 AM
What is your favorite Megaman Series?

Battle Network.

Del Murder
07-26-2005, 01:51 AM
Is this the game or TV show or something else?

EDIT: The poll has answered my question.

The original series is the best.

omnitarian
07-26-2005, 01:54 AM
Battle Network is my favorite. All of the other games are much too difficult for my taste. The only classic MM game I can stomach is MM2.

Rengori
07-26-2005, 01:57 AM
Battle Network is my favorite. All of the other games are much too difficult for my taste. The only classic MM game I can stomach is MM2.
Now that's harsh. The X series owns all!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-26-2005, 01:58 AM
I wouldn't say any Rock Man series is my favorite because they all wear thin sooner or later. RM1-3 and RMX1 are the best individual games, though.

ZeZipster
07-26-2005, 02:01 AM
I like the Zero series.

Lord Xehanort
07-26-2005, 02:01 AM
I hate them all. They should've just killed Sigma the first time... then they wouldn't have to fight him EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!!

But... I still played them for Zero and his greatness.

Sepho
07-26-2005, 02:02 AM
I like the X series up until X5, but I'll play any Megaman game you throw my way.

Rengori
07-26-2005, 02:09 AM
I hate them all. They should've just killed Sigma the first time... then they wouldn't have to fight him EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!!
You didn't watch about thrity seconds after the cast of characters in X1 to see the message Sigma left behind did you?

And what about Wily? They could have just as easily killed him at the end of Rockman 1-8 (even though Wily has to be able to build Zero for the two following series to work).

Erdrick Holmes
07-26-2005, 03:17 AM
X for it's story.

Remember newbs. X is NOT Megaman 10.

Lord Xehanort
07-26-2005, 03:21 AM
You didn't watch about thrity seconds after the cast of characters in X1 to see the message Sigma left behind did you?

And what about Wily? They could have just as easily killed him at the end of Rockman 1-8 (even though Wily has to be able to build Zero for the two following series to work).

I never was able to beat X1... *cries*

Erdrick Holmes
07-26-2005, 03:28 AM
X1 was the easiest.

I it just me or am I the only one that finds the X series on the Playstation underrated? Those games were hella fun.

Rengori
07-26-2005, 03:47 AM
They weren't underrated, I just think that people were too into FFVII at the time to notice. Partly underated says it better.

Erdrick Holmes
07-26-2005, 03:50 AM
No, not in that tense. I mean alot of mediocre Megaman fans say stuff like "every game after X3 sucked".

Rengori
07-26-2005, 03:52 AM
NOT TRUE!

Erdrick Holmes
07-26-2005, 03:55 AM
I heard it quite a bit, I'm just saying from what I heard.

Lindy
07-26-2005, 03:56 AM
I mean alot of mediocre Megaman fans say stuff like "every game after X3 sucked".
That's because they did, genius.

When you've pumped out already 8 or so Megaman games, and then another 2 with a "new character" (read : Name edit and slight sprite change to Megaman), you're already running on empty, the current running sereii are just dead horse served on a bed of barrel bottom shavings, with the dust from a dry well.

They weren't helped by AWFUL voice acting either.

Anyway, I have no specific love for any of the sereii, just Rockman and Forte, because people seem to go on about how hard it is, yet I don't find it to be at all.

Rengori
07-26-2005, 04:00 AM
Classic Megaman is either way too esy or way too hard. With the X series, you could make it really easy by finding all the sub hearts, armor upgrades, sub-tanks and e-tanks or choosing not to and making X/Zero's life a living hell.

Erdrick Holmes
07-26-2005, 04:05 AM
Megaman Zero 2 however was annoyingly hard... until you defeat the final "boss". The sucker was so easy I was laughing.

I heard that Capcom is starting work on Megaman 9 for the PS2. Lets hope it doesn't turn into a bombshell like X7 did. X7..... god that game sucked.

Rengori
07-26-2005, 04:12 AM
Zero 2 was the easiest Zero game I've played! And Rockman and Forte is Megaman 9.

Erdrick Holmes
07-26-2005, 04:20 AM
Well, yeah, that game did take place after 8 but the rumours state that a game titled "Rockman 9" is in development. I doubt it's true tho' but it'd be great to see how the MM series ended to lead up to the X series.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-26-2005, 04:32 AM
Rock Man & Forte is not Rock Man 9, nor was it intended to be.

Rengori
07-26-2005, 04:37 AM
WARNING!
WARNING!
WARNING!
The following section contains several spoilers. It is my theory on the cataclysm and when I say spoilers I mean the endings to two games are in there.

Well, in the Power Fighters, after beating any story with Bass alone, Wily shows a "girly robot" to Bass. He even had a beam saber on his back. And King's first target was Dr. Light's lab, so when Dr Wily said he was building another King, he was refering to Zero who at the time was still under construction. The way I see it, Wily screwed up permanently by letting Zero out of his capsule too soon. I would imagine Zero went beserk and his first target was Wily, who soon would be killed by his own creation. Somehow though, Zero was eventually put to rest and sealed for thirty years to be awakened by Dr Cain.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-26-2005, 04:41 AM
Zero wasn't awakened by Dr. Cain. Sigma was the one who found him and subdued him after he'd already killed several reploids.

Erdrick Holmes
07-26-2005, 04:42 AM
Yeah, if you played MMX4 it was blatently obvious that Wily made Zero. So technically Wily created the first Reploid, not Light

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-26-2005, 04:48 AM
"Reploid" refers to a robot based on X's design. X himself isn't a reploid, and since Wily apparently began work on Zero prior to Light's construction of X, neither is Zero.

Or, that's the way it used to be. It seems like after the first game, the term "reploid" gradually came to mean just any robot existing in 21XX.

Rengori
07-26-2005, 04:59 AM
"Reploid" is a term used for a robot capable of human emotions and advanced thinking according to Capcom. They said so in the intro of X1. Way to go for making Megaman cry a river when Rush nearly died in Megaman 8.

Erdrick Holmes
07-26-2005, 05:19 AM
Spoilers.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-26-2005, 05:29 AM
For a game from twelve years ago.

Rengori
07-26-2005, 06:10 AM
I think he was talking about the Megaman 8 part.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-26-2005, 06:17 AM
A game from eight years ago.

Rengori
07-26-2005, 06:20 AM
Megaman 8 Copyright 1996

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-26-2005, 06:21 AM
December 17, 1996, though.

Rengori
07-26-2005, 06:22 AM

Lionx
07-26-2005, 06:23 AM
Man no one voted for Legends? I feel sad. I am an RPG whore, so i liked that one the best, however i would have liked better designs and depth than it has currently. It could have been a good game if they done it right.

X and Zero are next..but classic rules as well. But nothing will ever beat Megaman Soccer. D:

Rengori
07-26-2005, 06:24 AM
Man no one voted for Legends? I feel sad. I am an RPG whore, so i liked that one the best, however i would have liked better designs and depth than it has currently. It could have been a good game if they done it right.

Technically it wasn't a true Megaman game. Neither were the technology whores of 200X in the BN series, but oh well.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-26-2005, 06:25 AM
Man no one voted for Legends?Good point; now I can vote. Dash/Legends is the only Rock Man series that hasn't been run into the ground with sequel after sequel. In fact, if anything, it could certainly use another sequel or two.

Lionx
07-26-2005, 06:25 AM
Its up in the poll and therefore is a MegaMan game, it doesnt say it has to be in the series at all. D:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-26-2005, 06:28 AM
Just because it's not a part of the RM-RMX-RMZ continuity doesn't mean it's not a "true Megaman game." Although there were hints in Rock Man Dash 2 and Rock Man X5 that the Dash series takes place centuries after the X series.

Rengori
07-26-2005, 06:31 AM
It has no real part in the series, so technically it is not a true Megaman game. Are you following?

Mercen-X
07-26-2005, 07:01 AM
The games would be better if they got some better talent in the staff. Instead of pumping game after game of the same old thing with a few new enemies, they could start trying to make it truly unique and innovative. However, innovation is only good when done correctly. I feel a lot of game companies rush their products lately or always. I'm glad Square is taking its sweet-ass time to make Advent Children and KH2.

Vermachtnis
07-26-2005, 04:18 PM
I like Zero the best. The games are freaking hard because of the instant death pits around every corner. If it weren't for the elves I would have probably broken my Gameboy.

GooeyToast
07-26-2005, 04:22 PM
I <3 Megaman X

~Keep it gooey~

Rengori
07-26-2005, 08:19 PM
And now my first statement in this thread is true.
Edit: Nevermind.

Aphelion
07-26-2005, 08:27 PM
Zero. It has a promising storyline (revealing what happened in the end of the X saga and opening the road to the next), cool bosses (way better than the ones appearing in the latest X games) and, of course, Zero's the main character. So, Zero!

black orb
07-27-2005, 03:57 AM
>>> I like the original and X series before they went 3D, I dont like the new games like Legends, and Battle-network.
also I never played "MM Zero" but the character design is already a turn-off for me.

Rengori
07-27-2005, 05:14 AM
The original series never went 3D.

Erdrick Holmes
07-27-2005, 05:27 AM
I still want Megaman 9 to arrive. Hopefully it'll be great.

black orb
07-27-2005, 08:15 AM
The original series never went 3D.
>>> Yeah, i was refering to MMX.

Classic Axe
07-27-2005, 08:35 AM
First game I ever played was megaman. The definition of classic gaming.

Lord Chainsaw
07-28-2005, 06:06 AM
"Reploid" refers to a robot based on X's design. X himself isn't a reploid, and since Wily apparently began work on Zero prior to Light's construction of X, neither is Zero.

Or, that's the way it used to be. It seems like after the first game, the term "reploid" gradually came to mean just any robot existing in 21XX.

I can't recall anything about reploids being copies of X's design, but if you're going by the context of the word reploid as a reproduction of a prototype design, then they are copies of Sigma's design, not X's. Light's original creation was Sigma, not X. X is the superior design and is able to beat Sigma because unlike Sigma, he has the capacity to become stronger through heart tanks, weapon upgrades and such.

Though Capcom considers both Sigma and X to be reploids, so nothing is really certain anymore. Personally, I think the story got shot to hell as soon as the words "Sigma Virus" showed up in the series. I think that was X3 but I'm not sure.

abrojtm
07-28-2005, 06:25 AM
The original series for me (up to IV at least, and then of course VII), then the X series, then the Battle Network series, and I haven't played enough of the Legends or Zero series to know enough about them to put them in ranking. But lionx is right, Mega Man Soccer am goal!! (That game actually was pretty fun). Rockman and Forte was also really really fun; especially if you had played MMVII.

Chzn8r
07-28-2005, 06:37 AM
Playing Megaman for the story is like reading Playboy for the game reviews.

And the original series is the best, though I have favorites among some of the others.

Rengori
07-28-2005, 06:58 AM
I can't recall anything about reploids being copies of X's design, but if you're going by the context of the word reploid as a reproduction of a prototype design, then they are copies of Sigma's design, not X's. Light's original creation was Sigma, not X. X is the superior design and is able to beat Sigma because unlike Sigma, he has the capacity to become stronger through heart tanks, weapon upgrades and such.

Though Capcom considers both Sigma and X to be reploids, so nothing is really certain anymore. Personally, I think the story got shot to hell as soon as the words "Sigma Virus" showed up in the series. I think that was X3 but I'm not sure.
Dr Light made X, not Sigma, Sigma was created later as a Maverick Hunter. Dr. Light is in the upgrade capsules that were recorded at least 30 years earlier and refers to X alone. Sigma then got Maverick Virus and spreaded it around. Later, Sigma made a stronger Virus, called the Sigma Virus. And I said it earlier, a reploid is a robot capable of advanced thinking and human emotions.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-28-2005, 07:24 AM
From Dr. Cain's journal in the MMX manual:
April 15th

I've been going over [Light's] design notes and they are...beyond anything the world has ever seen. Using them as a guide, I may be able to replicate his design and integrate them into a new generation of robots.Then,
November 22nd

With X's help I have completed my first "Reploid." Although I don't completely understand how all of Dr. Light's systems work, I was able to make some minor midifications and the reploid seems to be functioning perfectly.Also, read this (http://www.mmhp.net/Commentaries/Musing21.html).

Rengori
07-28-2005, 07:45 AM
I need to start thinking more before I write these...

Lord Chainsaw
07-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Well that's pretty interesting. I didn't know that. I had just assumed that some dude who wrote an 8 page thesis on the Mega Man X7 board on Gamefaqs a year ago knew what he was talking about when he described the history of X and Sigma.

Just goes to show why the original series is still my favorite.

Rengori
07-28-2005, 08:42 PM
Ah. It's not that hard to figure out the original series, since this is the storyline right here: Wily makes 8 new robot masters, puts on a disguise, frames someone, or blackmails someone to making 8 robot masters, for some reason the army can't take out a single robot master locking itself up in a fortress, and then Rockman, possibly Forte, steps in to save the day.

Ryth
07-29-2005, 03:52 AM
Legends. The first was my favorite Megaman game ever.

Momiji
07-29-2005, 05:27 AM
Well, I like all of them, but if I had to play favorites, it would go in this order...somewhat.

1st Place- Legends
1st Place(tied)- Battle Network, but only 3, 4, and 5.
2nd Place- X series (MM Zero is somewhat a story of the X series in itself, so they are the same to me)
3rd Place- the original RockMan series.

Although I have never played Legends 1, 2, or Misadventures of Tron Bonne, I have played Megaman 64 on emulator... Tron is just too hilarious to be in second or third place.

The series that really made me like the Megaman series was the battle network series, just for its ability to be fun, yet however to remain so simple.

X1 was really the first MegaMan game I ever really played through... at that time, the only one I had played before was RockMan 4, and that was just too hard for me. (God, give me a break... I wasn't even 6 years old yet!)