PDA

View Full Version : Secrets/loose ends in Square/Enix games you've tried in vain to tie up

Classic Axe
07-27-2005, 08:34 AM
Have you ever wasted incredible amounts of time looking for secrets that you were sure were in a game, but didn't realize that programmers make mistakes too? Anyone who bought Chrono Trigger ten years ago knows what I'm talking about.
******Lots of spoilers ahead, obviously*******

FF4- I looked around the Moon endlessly for the Meteo spell. I had thought it was an item that you had to fight for, like the ultimate weapons. I never realized that you were supposed to have leveled up more, but I don't level up in FF.....or at least I didn't back in the console days.

FF6- Where to begin....
Hidden Castle. I was sure that there was something else there.
Siegfried sigfreud ZEIGFRIED! That nearly drove me nuts. My theory was that the one pretending to be Siegfried was Zeigfried, and that he was not only the weak one, but he also took that treasure in the new cave to Figaro. In addition to that, I also tried in vain to try and get that treasure. Pretty much any empty treasure chest in the game sent me on hours of quests.
Getting back to Esper Island. I'm not sure how, but I thought I could get back in somehow.
Getting back into Vector. Somehow, I didn't completely believe that it was all completely behind me. I assumed that there was another assault on the capitol to be had.....but hey.

Chrono Trigger- Schala. I was sure that she was in the game. This was the biggest dissapointment I think I've ever with games; when I realized that the programmers just forgot or didn't care. Some of my methods included doing all kinds of weird library combinations, flying around 12,000 BC endlessly, redoing every level in the game, trying to make the purple cat do something (I did discover that you can make it run off screen and in through the other side using Magus), and who knows what else.

There are probably a lot more than these, but they don't come to me right now.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-27-2005, 11:51 AM
I spent a fair amount of time between '95 and '98 trying in vain to figure out a way to find Schala. Eventually, of course, Chrono Cross came out and tied up that loose end.

Mercen-X
07-27-2005, 04:34 PM
I don't understand your Schala deal. I never tried to get her. I don't even know who she is. Well, yeah, then again, I haven't played it much.

I hate any game that has treasure chests behind the counter at a shop that you can't get to. (I liked Lunar because there was usually a way to get back there) I hated it in FF7 when that chest in Kalm was always read, "locked." I really thought there had to be some way to open that piece of crap. Even if I got something really lame out of it.