PDA

View Full Version : RPG Board game?

Blue_Mage
07-28-2005, 02:08 AM
Is there such thing as an RPG board game? I think there is so please dont flame me. Becuase I love RPG's & I keep thinking of how col it would be to play an RPG like board game.

Thanx.

XxSephirothxX
07-28-2005, 02:26 AM
Dungeons and Dragons, Hero Quest, and the like.

Mo-Nercy
07-28-2005, 02:27 AM
Stuff like Dungeons and Dragons could be consider RPG "Board" games, I guess. I don't know much about it myself, but my friends used to spend their lunch hour mindlessly rolling dice, coming up with stats and arguing with the dungeonmaster. Whatever that is...

So, my answer to your question is yes. Definitely. But I can't help you beyond that.

Mercen-X
07-28-2005, 02:32 AM
Just don't expect Final Fantasy/Star Ocean

Blue_Mage
07-28-2005, 02:53 AM
WOW, the Dungeons & dragons looks great! How many people do you need to play?

Lindy
07-28-2005, 02:55 AM
At least four or five geeks.

You don't play D&D with "people".

Blue_Mage
07-28-2005, 03:04 AM
Heeeeyyyyy, thats insulting. I think I am a geek. I love RPG's, I RP all the time, & I totlaly want to play D&D.

Well, I dont now very many people. I wonder if I could get one started at church, at leat if that would be OK. Do you thimk it would be OK to bring D&D to church?

Tama2
07-28-2005, 03:06 AM
There is Ideka Street.

-N-
07-28-2005, 03:15 AM
Heeeeyyyyy, thats insulting. I think I am a geek. I love RPG's, I RP all the time, & I totlaly want to play D&D.

Well, I dont now very many people. I wonder if I could get one started at church, at leat if that would be OK. Do you thimk it would be OK to bring D&D to church?Don't do it IN church. Use some common sense. :rolleyes2

Blue_Mage
07-28-2005, 03:17 AM
Thats not what I meant. I meant like, start a D&D group at church, & we go to difernt peoples hous like, on certain days to play.
I would not feel roght playng D&D in church. Ya know, its a place of worship, not RPing.

Shoeberto
07-28-2005, 03:20 AM
If it's like a youth group or something, I see no reason why not. Don't believe anything you hear about D&D = satanism. It's all BS.

D&D is alright if you love number crunching and super duper mega ultra in depth character creation. Quite frankly, it bores me.

Blue_Mage
07-28-2005, 03:23 AM
Oh yes! I just love that kinda stuff! ISometimes I will create my own character, distributing stats & stuff. It sounds liek so much fun.

No, I dont think its evil. ALthough I do know that wizerds of the coast does make alot of bad stuff. Like once I heard that they make cards that you use to put curses & hex's on people. Know that sounds liek satanism.

-N-
07-28-2005, 03:29 AM
D&D is alright if you love number crunching and super duper mega ultra in depth character creation. Quite frankly, it bores me.http://melsbasketcase.tripod.com/numbermunchbackground.gif

edit:
No, I dont think its evil. ALthough I do know that wizerds of the coast does make alot of bad stuff. Like once I heard that they make cards that you use to put curses & hex's on people. Know that sounds liek satanism.
http://www.magic.ee/shop/images/hl/BakisCurse.jpg

edit: Sup Hsu. xD

Shoeberto
07-28-2005, 03:30 AM
Um...source? Wizards of the Coast, as far as I've ever known, has only done RP-based things and card games. Magic: The Gathering might be the closest to what you're talking about, but it's far from hexing people.

edit: Sup Neel.

Rengori
07-28-2005, 04:28 AM
If it's like a youth group or something, I see no reason why not. Don't believe anything you hear about D&D = satanism. It's all BS.
Amen.

D&D is alright if you love number crunching and super duper mega ultra in depth character creation.
Damn right!

Hikaro Takayama
07-28-2005, 04:56 AM

Actually, there *IS* an unlicensed pen and paper Final Fantasy RPG (which has modules to adapt to CT and other Square games, even a few expansions for non Square RPGs such as Breath of Fire and Suikoden). You can download all the rules from http://www.returnergames.com/ . Keep in mind that it IS a work in progress, so you'll have to wing a few things as you go.

I actually created a continuation of FF VII campaign (before I found out about AC), with a female Elven ranger as my GM NPC, and to round out the party were a dwarven monk (crashed on the planet in the same spaceship as what my elven charachter did), a Moogle White Mage (who did some pimping on the side) played by one of my wierder friends, a female dragoon who was an ex-stripper from one of the sleazy joints in the Midgar Slums, a female Magic Knight who was a retired SOLDIER 2nd class who was at one time assigned to Zack's unit, a Dark Knight who was once one of Hojo's experiments (and who looked kind of like a certain evil knight from Soul Calibur II), a Taru-Taru Rune Knight (who used a sword that was twice as big as he was) that got rifted in from Windhurst when the massive surge of magic from Meteor and Holy clashing opened a portal right in his immedate path of travel, and a Gunner who was one of the ancients who originally defeated Jenova, and was frozen near where she was for 2000 years, and was awakened when Holy was released.

As you can see, P&P RPGs can be really fun, especially if you have a bunch of creative players who are in it mostly for the laughs....

Blue_Mage
07-29-2005, 02:07 AM
On D&D what charecter minatures do you get in the basik game? & can you start with just the basik game?

Rengori
07-29-2005, 02:31 AM
You get 12 monsters, 4 heroes, an adventure book, a few boards, and you can start out with the basic game.

Shoeberto
07-29-2005, 02:34 AM
When did Wizards start releasing kits? I've only ever seen the books and figs sold separately.

Really, you don't need figs/miniatures if you want to get into it. My friends rarely even use maps. Just a DMG, Player's Handbook, Monster Manual, notebook paper, pencils, and a good imagination usually suffices.

Also, we're extremely cheap, so this may be different depending on how much you want to spend.

crashNUMBERS
07-29-2005, 02:49 AM
That wouldve been cool though...

Black Mage
07-29-2005, 03:08 AM
What? Figurines in D&D? When did this happen?

Blue_Mage
07-29-2005, 03:12 AM
It says you get 4 heroes & 12 monsters. What I want to know is what kind of heroes do I get? Liek, do I get a male warior, a female archer, a male mage, a female theif ect.

Mercen-X
07-29-2005, 06:59 AM
Just don't expect Final Fantasy/Star OceanActually, there *IS* an unlicensed pen and paper Final Fantasy RPG (which has modules to adapt to CT and other Square games, even a few expansions for non Square RPGs such as Breath of Fire and Suikoden).

As you can see, P&P RPGs can be really fun, especially if you have a bunch of creative players who are in it mostly for the laughs....What I meant was "everything you 'see' occurring in a board RPG is ownly visible in your head." Not being a console RPG, you won't actually be able to see what's going on (unless you got figurines to continually add to) and the battles are all about number crunching rather than real skill. Better stats and high luck don't equal victory in reality, nor does it work that way in a console game.

An RPG board game is basically a fanfic with multiple writers who refer only to a manual for a basis of agreement.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit of an overgeek. I don't consider RPG's to be a laugh. I take them seriously most of the time. It's sad, I know, but that's how I am. It's the constitution of a true writer. As such, I nitpick at every story trying to think how it'd be better. Regrettably, this doesn't always help my own writing as I'm too lazy to take notes.

You know. I was actually working on a live-party board RPG. Sure there'd be a board and spell cards and figurines . . . but there'd also be a console with a huge monitor. You roll the di and move your character the number of spaces indicated. Each space contains a battle. You only fight a battle when you stop on that space. The battles are played out on the monitor. Your character can use whatever skill you created him with because my crack team of technicians will have programmed them into the game. It would be awesome.

Rengori
07-29-2005, 07:03 AM
It says you get 4 heroes & 12 monsters. What I want to know is what kind of heroes do I get? Liek, do I get a male warior, a female archer, a male mage, a female theif ect.
You get a male human fighter, a male elf sorcerer, a male dwarven cleric, and a female halfling thief. All of them are level three and have class levels as 1.