PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone hate the french?

silverpigeon97
07-28-2005, 01:47 PM
since i can remember ive always heard lots of french jokes and people slagging off the french. So do you hate the french? If so why, if not why.

Meat Puppet
07-28-2005, 01:47 PM
Why do you keep assuming you know what everyone loves and hates?

Kakashi509
07-28-2005, 01:49 PM
Holy crap MP is right on this, why do you assume everyone loves and hates we could be indiffrent

Primus Inter Pares
07-28-2005, 01:49 PM
I don't hate the cheese eating surrender monkeys...

The dutch on the other hand...

Hating the French is a generally American tradition, not being from America I do not understand it's origins, it probably resurfaced during the Iraq War period...

silverpigeon97
07-28-2005, 01:50 PM
im not. Im asking whether you like them OR not, im not assuming anything. Then im asking why. Its just a question.

Kakashi509
07-28-2005, 01:52 PM
That's only in America we don't tell them in Canada instead we have Quebec to insult them.

crazybayman
07-28-2005, 01:54 PM
since i can remember ive always heard lots of french jokes and people slagging off the french. So do you hate the french? If so why, if not why.
Everyone DOES NOT hate the French.

As far as I can tell, this sort of sterotype stems from how the British and the French always fought through the medieval ages and so on. Even when Canada and the US were first settled by Europeans in the 1500s, 1600s and 1700s, the British and French fought over who owned the land.

So if your British, that's probably why you've heard that. I don't think anyone in their right mind would hate someone because of their nationality these days. That's just stupid.

silverpigeon97
07-28-2005, 01:56 PM
i just got back from a cruise in the caribbean, abd the ship was full of americans. They all seemed to hate french people as well. Its not just the british. Besides quite a few other european countries hate them as well.

ThroneofDravaris
07-28-2005, 01:57 PM
Bah, an enemy of Maurice Ravel is an enemy of mine!

Seriously though, it’s all to do with cultural ideology. For example, the French aren’t gun slinging rednecks that talk through their nose. Although they do have that stupid laugh…

See, Aren’t stereotypes fun?

Resha
07-28-2005, 01:58 PM
xD Nobody hates the French really. But what crazybayman said...

crazybayman
07-28-2005, 01:58 PM
i just got back from a cruise in the caribbean, abd the ship was full of americans. They all seemed to hate french people as well. Its not just the british. Besides quite a few other european countries hate them as well.
That's probably because they outright refused to support the war in Iraq....or something along those lines.

Imagine! They didn't want to go to war!! HOW DARE THEY!!!

gokufusionss1
07-28-2005, 02:13 PM
the whole french civilization as a concept is poor, they should just back up and become german or something.

Peegee
07-28-2005, 02:16 PM
sexy sexy women is my prejudice of the french. Don't spoil it for me.

Shoden
07-28-2005, 02:29 PM
because the language is useless stupid and pointless it wastes my education dammit

Rase
07-28-2005, 06:49 PM
I personally don't hate the French, although I used to make fun of them occasionally, since it bugged my friend who was French.

I try no to hate a specific group of people, because each person in the group is different.

XxSephirothxX
07-28-2005, 06:52 PM
A lot of overly patriotic Americans hate the french because they didn't want to take part in our invasion of Iraq. Many saw this as some form of cowardice or betrayal, and not the common sense it was in my eyes. Hence the "Freedom Fries" and so on and so forth.

Phil
07-28-2005, 06:53 PM
I just went to france not too long ago. The people there were generally nice but where I went smelled really bad. Probably because of this old guy with a beard who was homeless that layed in front of an air vent leading to the street with his wet golden retriever. It smelled like crap. But yeah- french people are nice. And hey- thats a Texan saying that.

Shoeberto
07-28-2005, 06:56 PM
A lot of overly patriotic Americans hate the french because they didn't want to take part in our invasion of Iraq.
Yeah. Sorry, France. Most of us still love ya, but unfortunately we have a bunch of bandwagon jumping retards that can't think for themselves.

There's a kid I had a few classes with that would immediately blurt out "GOD I HATE THE FRENCH" anytime the country was mentioned. I was ready to bust his face open :mad2:

ZeZipster
07-28-2005, 06:57 PM
Stereotypes... I mean when you hear French you think pointy-bearded, cigarette smoking, aristocratic, hairy people. Just like when you hear American people think obese, beer hat wearing, smelly, patriotic people.

Hawkeye
07-28-2005, 07:04 PM
They dont shave

Tidus5
07-28-2005, 07:20 PM
1. they dont shave their armpits
2. they suck at fighting (the US has bailed them out many times)
3. they are big headed
4. they smell bad
5. napoleon
6. they smoke all the time
7. pepe le pew
8. the french revolutions (since they had like, 50 of them)
9. did I mention they dont shave their armpits

p.s. this is a joke, im not being serious. I just listed as many french stereotypes I could think of, so dont jump on me, you crazy french lovers

BabyVixen
07-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Not everyone hates the French it's just that the people who do are nothing but racist morons and every single race and religion gets slagged off all the time. That's life for you

Lindy
07-28-2005, 07:39 PM
There was a recent study in Europe, it was found that in every country, the general consensus was a major dislike for the French.

That of course, is countered by the fact that the French hate everyone else as much as every other country dislike them.

I dislike the French from experience, walking into a French shop and trying to buy something in the best French I could muster, I was laughed at and ignored. When I tried in English, they started slinging back insults in French, yet as I was leaving I could hear them speaking perfect English.

The same happened in numerous other shops, and just in general around the country, not exactly fun.

Now, every other country I've been to in Europe, people were quite happy and helpful if I tried even just a little of the language, the Greeks love you for it, the Germans are certainly more friendly, and the Belgians I met just started speaking perfect English from the off.

The French seem to mostly be annoyed at the fact that Europeans speak English over anything, when they expect everyone to speak French, but why would you ever want to speak French? The sentence structure is so overly complicated, I mean, verb positions for tenses? Why?

I don't hate them, per se, I just carry a dislike that has yet to be proved wrong.

fire_of_avalon
07-28-2005, 07:42 PM
HEY

I LIKE Pepe Le Pew.

Tidus5
07-28-2005, 07:45 PM
HEY

I LIKE Pepe Le Pew.

Pepe le pew was a crazy molester... the way he was always grabbin on those cats, kissing them, chasing them...ALWAYS showing up when you thought the coast was clear. Settle down pepe or you are gonna get 10-12 years in a dirty french jail cell.

just my thoughts...

Lindy
07-28-2005, 07:45 PM
HEY

I LIKE Pepe Le Pew.
I stopped liking him after that cartoon where he stalked and RAPED a cat.

Well, he didn't rape it per se, but you could see it coming.

-N-
07-28-2005, 07:46 PM
I dislike the French from experience, walking into a French shop and trying to buy something in the best French I could muster, I was laughed at and ignored. When I tried in English, they started slinging back insults in French, yet as I was leaving I could hear them speaking perfect English.

The same happened in numerous other shops, and just in general around the country, not exactly fun.This has been my personal experience in France as well - I know some amount of French, and I can get my point across, but they (Parisians, esp.) just saw it as an opportunity to screw me over. I got everything from wrong directions to wrong food. :\

Shoeberto
07-28-2005, 07:47 PM
See, Lindy, your case against them is at least legitimate and based on first-hand experience. I guarantee that if you ask any American why they hate the French, they would just yell out "BECAUSE THEY'RE PANSIES THAT'S WHY."

StarlightAngel
07-28-2005, 08:02 PM
I don't hate the French...

Though I might be a little biased as I'm PART French...

Alive-Cat
07-28-2005, 08:13 PM
Stop assuming everyone loves or hates stuff. Just because some people hate them doesn't mean everyone does.

Lindy
07-28-2005, 08:25 PM
See, Lindy, your case against them is at least legitimate and based on first-hand experience. I guarantee that if you ask any American why they hate the French, they would just yell out "BECAUSE THEY'RE PANSIES THAT'S WHY."
Irony, the most popular American mustard is called French's, right?

Squall04
07-28-2005, 08:38 PM
I have a strong dislike for the French nation. That isn't too say that I will automatically judge someone because they are French. But as a country, France just sucks. Mostly because of their military ineptness. The last good leader they had was Napolean, but he was a ruthless dictator. The French Revolution was seriously just an imitation of the American Revolution a couple years before. Except their revolution consisted of killing everybody and anybody that represented any sort of political power. They practically let the Germans march right into their home country in World War I. In World War II, the Germans did almost the exact same thing and stormed through right up to Paris almost unopposed. They got there trash kicked in Vietnam before the US got involved (of course they lost of their own accord, the reason the US did fare so well in Vietnam was because of politics).

And of course through all of this, they somehow as a nation feel superior and snobbish to the rest of the world.

I have not been to France, nor do I possess any desire to go to France in the future. But I don't hate French people, that would be racist, I dislike how they behave as a country.

Lindy
07-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Except that Vietnam was a horrible and wasteful defeat for America.

But I'd rather not get into an argument about that right now, thanks.

Yuffie514
07-28-2005, 11:45 PM
all i dislike are land-stealing tyrants and ppl invading the weaker countries.

Dreddz
07-28-2005, 11:59 PM
I just generally dislike Europe

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-29-2005, 12:00 AM
Okay their language might be screwy, yet it is useful living in an area that is half french. On the general side I never met anyone who was French so I can't really base an opinion on that. Though two people I know who went to France at different times told me that over all it was a pretty dirty place, but that could have been just where they were. Also in history it seems they forget to cover their backs. Literally there were three battles in Canada (New France at the time) where the French were defeated by the British for the British decieded to attack from the rear. (I think they are at Louisburg, *some place near Sackville, NB* and Quebec City).

En tous facon, j'aime la francais, meme si ma grammaire est horrible. *too lazy to add accents*

Mo-Nercy
07-29-2005, 12:05 AM
I thought that the loathing of the French was derived from the fact that they don't do very well in wars. Ever since they were subjagated by the Romans as Gaul, they've been losing and retreating. They sent a little girl to war and managed to win, but only after 99 years of losing. They unofficially renamed French fries freedom fries as a stand against the initial call for war against terror. Yes, there's Napoleon, but you'd be surprised at the amount of people who don't know that Napoleon was French.

Lindy
07-29-2005, 12:07 AM
Except Napolean wasn't French.

He was Corsican.

Rye
07-29-2005, 12:08 AM
I hate the arrogance of the French, but that's generalization, which isn't really right. I don't really like the language, after taking it for 3 years.

fire_of_avalon
07-29-2005, 12:13 AM
Why do all of you people generalize so damned much? You can't judge the whole based on your experiences with a few, if you have any experience at all. Pepe Le Pew was a good guy, jerks.

Tidus5
07-29-2005, 12:15 AM
Except Napolean wasn't French.

He was Corsican.

Yes, but at that time Corsica was a French territory. I dont know if it still is. I know that Napoleon tried to lead a revolution to gain Corsican independence before he joined the French army, but other than that I dunno.

07-29-2005, 12:16 AM
One positive thing about the french language: 60% of French words are practically identical to their english counterparts.

Vivre la France!

Mo-Nercy
07-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Le Grill?! What the hell is Le Grill?!?!

Peegee
07-29-2005, 12:37 AM
Je suis LE gateaux

see I speak french, albeit incessently poorly. I'm also canadian, which is why people like me.

Now if I said I was american....

Lindy
07-29-2005, 12:39 AM
omg ur american, u sux lolz, u started teh wars an voted teh bush, u r teh stoopid

Etc, et al, ad infinitum.

07-29-2005, 12:42 AM
*eats pureghetto* Yummy!!!!

Quel sort de gateau es-tu?

Yeah people have it worst out for Americans than the French, or at least that is what it seems.

fire_of_avalon
07-29-2005, 12:47 AM
Je suis LE gateaux

see I speak french, albeit incessently poorly. I'm also canadian, which is why people like me.

Now if I said I was american....
How many cakes how many cakes?!

Psychotic
07-29-2005, 12:48 AM
I've been to France about 12 times. On each and every occasion I failed to meet a single person who I would not describe as obnoxious, except for tourists.

radyk05
07-29-2005, 12:50 AM
patriotic freedom frys? what on God's earth is that? are the americans really THAT... patriotic?

Doomie
07-29-2005, 12:51 AM

Yeah people have it worst out for Americans than the French, or at least that is what it seems.

ZOMG You're so impolite. You should have said "Quel sort de gateau êtes-vous"!

I hate the french because they're french. They also speak the language of Satan.

Lindy
07-29-2005, 12:51 AM
I think the legislators were so happy when they changed the name to Freedom Fries they started Freedom kissing each other too.

radyk05
07-29-2005, 12:57 AM
I think the legislators were so happy when they changed the name to Freedom Fries they started Freedom kissing each other too.

ROTFL XDDDDDDDDD

07-29-2005, 12:58 AM

Like I said, my french is horrible...Oh well, never meant to do that...That is why I dislike the language: grammer is a pisser-offer. I try my hardest to correct all my grammatical errors in French class when we do an essay, but I always missed some. It is weird, I frigg up my number-noun accord (or whatever you call it. I mean that I go like "les chat" sometimes), but I rarely do that in English...You think after taking it all through out school I would catch on, but no...

*rants about the Immersion school system*

Doomie
07-29-2005, 01:02 AM

Like I said, my french is horrible...Oh well, never meant to do that...That is why I dislike the language: grammer is a pisser-offer. I try my hardest to correct all my grammatical errors in French class when we do an essay, but I always missed some. It is weird, I frigg up my number-noun accord (or whatever you call it. I mean that I go like "les chat" sometimes), but I rarely do that in English...You think after taking it all through out school I would catch on, but no...

Microsoft Word corrections and a grammar books for the win! I hate the french language. To many éêè's.

Rye
07-29-2005, 01:04 AM

xD

07-29-2005, 01:09 AM

Microsoft Word corrections and a grammar books for the win! I hate the french language. To many éêè's.

Microsoft Word French corrections scare me...First I did that before, it stil didn't pick them all up. Also I was spelling "papillion" (Butterfly) and it said it was wrong in one place, then in an other I had their suggested spelling and it said it was the other one I had. It may have been I was tired and my mind played tricks on me, or that Word is evil...I dunno. It still doesn't get them all, though my teacher was happy when I started to type my essays, bacause he had to get out his glasses every time he read anything I wrote by hand. (I have ity-bity writting)

Teek
07-29-2005, 01:11 AM
FUCK THE FRENCH I FUCKING HATE THEM PANSIES

lordblazer
07-29-2005, 01:14 AM

As far as I can tell, this sort of sterotype stems from how the British and the French always fought through the medieval ages and so on. Even when Canada and the US were first settled by Europeans in the 1500s, 1600s and 1700s, the British and French fought over who owned the land.

So if your British, that's probably why you've heard that. I don't think anyone in their right mind would hate someone because of their nationality these days. That's just stupid.
Everyone hates americans.

Lindy
07-29-2005, 01:17 AM
I don't hate Americans, I hate the game.

07-29-2005, 01:19 AM
I do not hate Americans, only their administration who I have as much love for as I do for Harper...

radyk05
07-29-2005, 01:19 AM

Everyone hates americans.

except some people here on the island who think of them as gods.

lordblazer
07-29-2005, 01:23 AM
Woot I'm going were you are at to be worshiped by many and have people to do thy bidding.

:D

Cruise Control
07-29-2005, 02:05 AM
No, I like croissants

Lindy
07-29-2005, 02:26 AM
Except Croissants were created to commemorate when the Turks attacked Vienna, with the Crescent shape as a reminder of the Turkish flag.

I think it was Vienna, not sure, but I most certainly know it wasn't the French that invented it.

disapointedchild
07-29-2005, 03:15 AM
Because they suck at war, and smell.

Cruise Control
07-29-2005, 04:01 AM
http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=10411

Lindy
07-29-2005, 04:15 AM
Search for it now, you'll find a few thousand pages on how you won't find any pages for French Military Victories.

crashNUMBERS
07-29-2005, 04:18 AM
That gets me thinking. Who does hate the french??

Lindy
07-29-2005, 04:19 AM
If you'd read the thread, you would have seen from what I posted, that most of Europe do.

crashNUMBERS
07-29-2005, 04:24 AM
If you'd read the thread, you would have seen from what I posted, that most of Europe do.
Sorry lindy. Yopur right. I didn't read the thread. I shouldve known better... (Seriously!!)

Kikyo
07-30-2005, 07:06 PM
Embrasse moi! Je suis Francais!

...not really, but i wish i was...

Dixie
07-30-2005, 07:10 PM
I like the french. They seem nice.

(A few of my ancestors came from France.)

Endless
07-30-2005, 08:24 PM
We just take all the insults directed at us as jealousy, it's so much easier. <3

Side note:

The sentence structure is so overly complicated, I mean, verb positions for tenses? Why?

I'd like to see examples.

Lindy
07-30-2005, 08:35 PM
Ok, let me rephrase that.

Speaking English from birth, I find it overly complicated, because of the variation in the verbs for tenses (yes, I know it happens in English, but I just couldn't get it in French), along with the positioning.

I've always found it that way, I'm sure it's perfectly easy for someone who's spoken it since birth or is a natural linguist, but I personally find it just too complicated, and I'm sure plenty of other people do too.

The same happens with German for me really, though I was always a touch better at that because I liked it more.

Ok?

Tifa Lockheart
07-30-2005, 09:18 PM
I don't hate the French. I don't like them either.

Behold the Void
07-30-2005, 09:24 PM
People dislike the French because they're horrible idiots.

nik0tine
07-30-2005, 11:49 PM
I hate the French because they are pussies who always lose wars and don't want to help out the United States in our ever moral, self serving endeavors.

Spammerman
07-30-2005, 11:50 PM
no, cause im part french.

kikimm
07-30-2005, 11:50 PM
My hatred of the French extends only to my smelly old neighbor.

:D

GooeyToast
07-30-2005, 11:55 PM
Well, I've never got my ass kicked by any French person, so I cant say I have any true gripe against the French (except they're French)

~Keep it gooey~

Spammerman
07-31-2005, 12:04 AM
I resent that.
Im not a horrible idiot.
Im a horrible idiot savant.

The Jamie Star Scenario
07-31-2005, 12:37 AM
Jacques Chirac, that is the only French person I need to hate, mainly because he is a pompous asshole and only in power because the silly French let the only other option be a fascist: well done!

Anyway now we are making fun of the French I will show you something you will never ever have seen before and it is so funny the current death toll amoung people view this site is 876.

First all you have to do is go to http://www.google.com type French Military Victories and press the "I'm feeling lucky" button.

Teek
07-31-2005, 12:43 AM
En réalité, j'aime les Français beaucoup.

It's an intriguing culture. The French people (no, the Parisians, rather) just need to get their heads out of their asses every once in awhile.

Itsunari 2000
07-31-2005, 01:20 AM
I have no quarrel with French people , but their current government's policies, concerning international relations and issues like ethnicity,religion and immigration disturb me- take for example,banning the wearing of turbans etc. among Sikh and Muslim schoolchildren... Also , the notorious incident in March 2003 when the Iraq War started,a mob of French university students stormed a British and American World War One memorial, desecrating graves and scattering remains while waving banners which read " Take your muck back home " ... Atrocious.

And their politicians are pompous old bureacrats.

SomethingBig
07-31-2005, 03:50 AM
I hate black people because they can't speak english correctly.

radyk05
07-31-2005, 05:03 AM
BtV and SomethingBig: coments like that will only make this thread closed. we can have fun without insulting anyone. [/modwhore]

SomethingBig
07-31-2005, 05:30 AM
So it's okay to make derogatory comments about the French, but I'd be DAMNED if I made a comment about black people? Oh, I see the logic.

By the way, I didn't mean what I said. It was to show people's hypocrisy.

black orb
07-31-2005, 05:36 AM
>>> I like french fries..

radyk05
07-31-2005, 05:38 AM
the majority of the comments on this thread are made in a funny, unharmful way. Behold the Void's and yours weren't. and i don't see nothing wrong about making comments on black people.

SomethingBig
07-31-2005, 06:36 AM
Again, I didn't mean what I said. I was waiting for someone like you to jump on me for saying something like that to show the hypocrisy of many people who dislike the French for ridiculous reasons.

Behold the Void
07-31-2005, 06:40 AM
*Is a mod*

I'm surprised nobody recognized that, if you replace "the French" with "Final Fantasy IX" you have the quote Kishi made awhile back that's been in at least two people's signatures at any one time for the better part of two years, at least.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
07-31-2005, 10:45 AM
hehehe... Freedom Fries... Freedom Toast... funny. but to tell you the truth, I prefer Freedom Kissing over all other freedom things.I especially like to Freedom Kiss sexy Freedom girls... ;)

unknown88
07-31-2005, 07:22 PM
There was a recent study in Europe, it was found that in every country, the general consensus was a major dislike for the French.

That of course, is countered by the fact that the French hate everyone else as much as every other country dislike them.

The same happened in numerous other shops, and just in general around the country, not exactly fun.

Now, every other country I've been to in Europe, people were quite happy and helpful if I tried even just a little of the language, the Greeks love you for it, the Germans are certainly more friendly, and the Belgians I met just started speaking perfect English from the off.

The French seem to mostly be annoyed at the fact that Europeans speak English over anything, when they expect everyone to speak French, but why would you ever want to speak French? The sentence structure is so overly complicated, I mean, verb positions for tenses? Why?

I don't hate them, per se, I just carry a dislike that has yet to be proved wrong.

This has been my experience as well, I was treated very well in all the other European countries excepot France, I didn't even speak English once (I talked Spanish but it was mocked too). The services there are terrible and the people are very rude. Not that I hate them though.

Lindy
07-31-2005, 09:03 PM
hehehe... Freedom Fries... Freedom Toast... funny. but to tell you the truth, I prefer Freedom Kissing over all other freedom things.I especially like to Freedom Kiss sexy French girls... ;)
Freedom girls, FREEDOM girls.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
08-01-2005, 03:12 AM
hehehe... Freedom Fries... Freedom Toast... funny. but to tell you the truth, I prefer Freedom Kissing over all other freedom things.I especially like to Freedom Kiss sexy French girls... ;)
Freedom girls, FREEDOM girls.
youre right, what was I thinking when I typed that. Freedom girls.

Fonzie
08-01-2005, 06:16 AM
Because i hate the term "French Fries" Freedom fries all the way baby!! :twak:

radyk05
08-02-2005, 12:35 AM
Again, I didn't mean what I said. I was waiting for someone like you to jump on me for saying something like that to show the hypocrisy of many people who dislike the French for ridiculous reasons.

guess you're right. at least i was the only one who replied you're comment (note that i didn't make any comments on the french people).

Yliette
08-03-2005, 04:52 AM
French people are said to be sweet and charming! :eek: