PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 most over-rated/hyped games of all time

Buccura
07-28-2005, 10:11 PM
You know the drill. Just to note, this DOESN'T mean the games are bad or that I dont like them.

1: Halo 2
2: Halo
3: Final Fantasy VII
4: Fable
5: Kingdom Hearts

Chris
07-28-2005, 10:16 PM
1. Metal Gear Solid

2. Halo

3. Final Fantasy VII

4. Kingdom Hearts

I mostly agree with you.

Shoeberto
07-28-2005, 10:19 PM
1. Halo 2
2. Halo
3. Everquest
4. Final Fantasy X
5. Resident Evil 0

Rye
07-28-2005, 10:21 PM
1. Halo 2
2. Halo 2
3. Halo 2
4. Halo 2
5. Halo 2

Lindy
07-28-2005, 10:23 PM
FF7, 10 and 11
Halo and Halo 2

And dear GOD, Fable was AWFUL, the hype, the adverts, heck they had them all over the London Underground, yet what's the game like? Ick, that's all I can say about it, just ick.

Hawkeye
07-28-2005, 10:24 PM
1. Halo 2
2. Halo 2
3. Halo 2
4. Halo 2
5. Halo 2

ZeZipster
07-28-2005, 10:27 PM
:mad2:
You need to be lynched! BURN HERETIC!

Or.. uh.. I mean, I respect your opinions. I think Final Fantasy VII deserves it's fame. It's the only game with a storyline that's touched me. Hell, even Maddox liked FF7 (http://maddox.xmission.com/games.html), THAT says something.

Halo 1 deserves it's spot there. But Halo 2, well you haven't played it online. I can play Halo 2 online a billion times over and I'd still face challenges. The ranking system is just georgous like that. Anyways, I'm just gonna say what I said in the last rendition of this thread.

1. Final Fantasy 8
2. Final Fantasy 8
3. Final Fantasy 8
4. Final Fantasy 8
5. Final Fantasy 8

Buccura
07-28-2005, 10:28 PM
:mad2:
You need to be lynched! BURN HERETIC!

Or.. uh.. I mean, I respect your opinions. I think Final Fantasy VII deserves it's fame. It's the only game with a storyline that's touched me. Hell, even Maddox liked FF7 (http://maddox.xmission.com/games.html), THAT says something.

Halo 1 deserves it's spot there. But Halo 2, well you haven't played it online. I can play Halo 2 online a billion times over and I'd still face challenges. The ranking system is just georgous like that. Anyways, I'm just gonna say what I said in the last rendition of this thread.

1. Final Fantasy 8
2. Final Fantasy 8
3. Final Fantasy 8
4. Final Fantasy 8
5. Final Fantasy 8

Maddox is nothing but an attention whore.

Lindy
07-28-2005, 10:29 PM
Halo 2 online IS great, though nowhere near as fantastic as it is made out to be. But then it wasn't released as JUST that, it was released with a lack-lustre single player, lack of co-op and actually rather minimal quantity in new maps, THAT is the problem with it.

Erdrick Holmes
07-28-2005, 10:30 PM
Grand Thef Auto Vice City
Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
World of Warcraft
Final Fantasy X-2
Spinter Cell

Dreddz
07-28-2005, 10:32 PM
GTA
Burnout
Suikoden

Final Fantasy VII

I bite my thumb at you sir...

yawn (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59140&highlight=Overrated+Underrated)

Erdrick Holmes
07-28-2005, 10:38 PM
Wait, time out. How us Suikoden overrated? If anything it's underrated. Mainly because it's a hard to find game series and not many people ever get the chance to play it.

blackchocobo9999
07-28-2005, 11:10 PM
The most over rated FF is 7, becasue of... The honey bee inn :D

Dreddz
07-28-2005, 11:16 PM
Wait, time out. How us Suikoden overrated? If anything it's underrated. Mainly because it's a hard to find game series and not many people ever get the chance to play it.
Out of all the people ive talked to or all the things ive heard it had promised made it sound really good
When I blew £60 on it on eBay, I was disappointed.....alot

Erdrick Holmes
07-28-2005, 11:40 PM
That's because you played 1. 2 and 3 are much better, as 2 corrects al of the stuff that 1 messed up on, and 3 was most likely the best one in the seires.

Craig
07-28-2005, 11:47 PM
Fable (Words can't describe)
Final Fantasy VII
Halo 1 and 2 (2 more so)
The GTA series

Not that I don't love these games, they are just sorely over-rated.

Dreddz
07-29-2005, 11:13 PM
That's because you played 1. 2 and 3 are much better, as 2 corrects al of the stuff that 1 messed up on, and 3 was most likely the best one in the seires.
3 never made it to UK Cause Europe Sucks, I hate it I hate it I HATE IT !!!!!!!!!!! and suikoden 2 I havent played but then theres Suikoden 4..........Now come on

GooeyToast
07-29-2005, 11:19 PM
1: Halo 2
2: Fable
3: FF7 & FF10
4. Metal Gear Solid
5. Metroid Prime

~Keep it gooey~

UWAOOOOU
07-29-2005, 11:31 PM
FFVII sold 9 million copies to date and will more than likely top ten million with advent children and the other spinoffs promoting it. When a game sells that well I think its hard for it to be overrated. Thats my opinion of course.

Maddox is nothing but an attention whore.He doesnt advertise his site or anything of the sort. He posts his opinions on his own page and people come to him.

SomethingBig
07-29-2005, 11:33 PM
Final Fantasy 7
What. The. Fuck.

1- Halo
2- Halo 2
3- KotOR
4- Fable
5- MGS 3

Shoden
07-29-2005, 11:38 PM
Halo 2
Halo
GTA san andreas
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy VII

Shoeberto
07-30-2005, 12:12 AM
3- KotOR
I was about to put KOTOR on my list, but as boring as I thought the game was, I still recognize how well put together it is.

So I guess that could be one to put on my list.

Buccura
07-30-2005, 12:50 AM
How is VI more over-rated than VII?

Final Fantasy 7
What. The. smurf.

I can justify that;
To many fanboys/fangirls
To many spin-offs.
To many people call it the best when they never tried the others.

Destai
07-30-2005, 12:55 AM

Final Fantasy 7
What. The. smurf.

I can justify that;
To many fanboys/fangirls
To many spin-offs.
To many people call it the best when they never tried the others.Its sold 9,000,000 copies which to my knoweledge is more than the others. It can justify being highly rated. I feel I've played alot of RPG's and VII stands out to me as the best by far

ljkkjlcm9
07-30-2005, 01:21 AM
I think we should make it clear that by being hyped it can't be by the actual fans of the game, it has to be by the TV, everywhere on the internet and stuff as in the fact that you can't ignore it.

Games such as FFVII, Metroid Prime, GTA, Soul Calibur 2, Fable, Halo 2, Zelda games... these games are all hyped....

I find it interesting a lot of people are saying Metroid Prime was over hyped, but that game was hyped for having really good graphics and for changing the way the series is played dramatically but still being able to keep the exploration which made metroid great, and for these things, i think it was judged accurately.

Some people also say FFVI, but that wasnt hyped by anyone except the actual fans of the game. FFVII was hyped by everyone and everything, was advertised on TV excessively and has so many damn spinoffs now because of it.

FFVII was highly overrated, don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but it is made out to be the greatest game ever. I'd also like to note that a game selling really well does not mean it wasn't overrated. Movies do well all the time that weren't that good but a bunch of people went to see it.

GTA is also highly overrated... because the story line and the actual point of the game isn't very fun. Anytime anyone is ever like, wanna see how great GTA is, they put in some sort of cheat and just run around killing people and crap, that's not a game, that's retarded.

Soul Calibur 2, yes great fighting game and all sorts of stuff. Best fighting game ever... well give me Smash Bros. any day!

Fable, just a crappy game that was made out to be something spectacular.

Halo 2, yes good game, tons of fun, but also not the best game ever made. This was hyped before it came out that it would be the best game ever, and I think that's why it wasn't as good. Because people were expecting so damn much out of it, that it was impossible to meet those expectations. Yes tons of fun and all that, but definitely over-hyped.

those were just the main games I remember seeing commercials for... and I still see commercials for GTA, which is sad cause I really hate those games...

THE JACKEL

SomethingBig
07-30-2005, 01:37 AM

I can justify that;
To many fanboys/fangirls
To many spin-offs.
I agree with the FFVI part. But FFVII? It's hyped for a damn good reason.

Graphics:
For the one of the early playstation games, it had mind-boggingly beautiful graphics. It was the first game to tell a solid, extremely intricate story through FMVs. Not to mention the fact that "One Winged Angel" made the Sephiroth battle one of the most memorable battles in video-game history.

Gameplay:
It was loaded with mini-games and ways to actually alter the plot. To most other games, mini-games are just things to pass the time and a way to take a break from the main game. The mini-games actually served a huge purpose in FFVII. The interactive story called for major replayability.

The Materia system was probably the most innovative thing done in any video-game. There were infinite possibilities with customization.

FFVII being overrated? That's a load of bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif right there. If any FF deserves the overrated title, it's FFX. Linear map, linear story, boring gameplay.

Buccura
07-30-2005, 01:38 AM
I think we should make it clear that by being hyped it can't be by the actual fans of the game, it has to be by the TV, everywhere on the internet and stuff as in the fact that you can't ignore it.

Games such as FFVII, Metroid Prime, GTA, Soul Calibur 2, Fable, Halo 2, Zelda games... these games are all hyped....

I find it interesting a lot of people are saying Metroid Prime was over hyped, but that game was hyped for having really good graphics and for changing the way the series is played dramatically but still being able to keep the exploration which made metroid great, and for these things, i think it was judged accurately.

Some people also say FFVI, but that wasnt hyped by anyone except the actual fans of the game. FFVII was hyped by everyone and everything, was advertised on TV excessively and has so many damn spinoffs now because of it.

FFVII was highly overrated, don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but it is made out to be the greatest game ever. I'd also like to note that a game selling really well does not mean it wasn't overrated. Movies do well all the time that weren't that good but a bunch of people went to see it.

GTA is also highly overrated... because the story line and the actual point of the game isn't very fun. Anytime anyone is ever like, wanna see how great GTA is, they put in some sort of cheat and just run around killing people and crap, that's not a game, that's retarded.

Soul Calibur 2, yes great fighting game and all sorts of stuff. Best fighting game ever... well give me Smash Bros. any day!

Fable, just a crappy game that was made out to be something spectacular.

Halo 2, yes good game, tons of fun, but also not the best game ever made. This was hyped before it came out that it would be the best game ever, and I think that's why it wasn't as good. Because people were expecting so damn much out of it, that it was impossible to meet those expectations. Yes tons of fun and all that, but definitely over-hyped.

those were just the main games I remember seeing commercials for... and I still see commercials for GTA, which is sad cause I really hate those games...

THE JACKEL

Point well made :thumb:

Slothy
07-30-2005, 03:10 AM

Personal preference is what it all comes down to. You may not think Soul Calibur 2 is the best fighting game of all time, and therefore think it's overrated, but if you ask me, the whole Super Smash Bros. series is far more overrated. I'd prefer to not even get into how much I despise those games. I had fun with the first one for all of five minutes. It got old really fast.

My most overrated games of all time though (aside from Smash Bros.), would be Halo and Halo 2. I'd have a hard time thinking of any more right now though. Frankly, both those games were lacking if you ask me. I found some aspects of the controls annoying (mostly due to the layout of the Xbox controller, and the fact that there's only two shoulder buttons), not to even get into the fact that I've grown to almost despise using controllers at all in an FPS. I'll admit the multiplayer can be pretty fun with enough people, but even it gets old after a short while. Even with the added options in Halo 2 it couldn't hold my interest. There are better multiplayer experiences in a lot of FPS games and their mods on the PC. And finally, to finish my rant, neither game really brought anything new to the genre. It was the same old gameplay I'd seen in numerous FPS games before it, with nothing revolutionary to make it something truly special.

Lindy
07-30-2005, 03:13 AM
Soul Calibur is better than Soul Calibur 2, more reactive and responsive characters, less sexist physics.

Skirts on the female characters seem to constantly gravitate upwards, it's rather disconcerting, and don't get me started on Taki's unsupportive outfits.

Meat Puppet
07-30-2005, 03:16 AM
Definately Fable. I remember someone I know talking about it for like 3 years or something gayed out and long like that. All those fake announcements and extensions of it's due date. And when it finally, finally went to get released, he was one of those campers that wait outside the store to buy it. And when he got it, he finished it for the first time in a weekend, and was probably done with it in less than a week. Poor bastard.

FallenAngel411
07-30-2005, 03:21 AM
Oooh, this thread has been beaten to death. Well, I agree with most of what has already been said...but I mostly tend to deal in more underrated games....games like ICO, Fatal Frame, and Beyond Good and Evil are classics to me. The games we hear about the most are the ones that get the biggest budgets--not necessarily the best of the bunch.

Lionx
07-30-2005, 03:24 AM
FF7 is overrated. Its a great game i say, but its not THAT good as some fans rave it to be. I still like 6 better. Too many people herald it as the best game ever, not a good game but the best FF out there. I dont believe thats true.

Halo 1 and 2 especially..it looked so good from what people said..then i went behind the wheel and just...well..its good..but not THAT good. I think hype killed it, just too much.

Fable...-_-; ugh

I also feel GTA is overrated. Its different i give it that, but after the GTA3 i feel its...ehh overdone.

World of Warcraft is also overrated. Everyone bought it because of the Warcraft name, and the game when played has a bad community, horrible end-game(to me), and everything seemed too easy from what i hear. If you want to look at community check their forums..its totally retarded. People say its going to change the MMORPG definition...its not even a decent MMO IMO. Give me RO for PvP or Ballista in XI for that.

SomethingBig
07-30-2005, 03:32 AM
It may not be the best game, but it's definitely up there. FFVII had many firsts and took risks that opened up bold new worlds for upcoming games.

beaglegod
07-30-2005, 03:43 AM
I take it from the topic that we are discussing games that were a disapointment in comparrison with all the hype they generated. As far as thats concerned I never realised so many people were disapointed with FF VII, I mean even if it wasnt your favorite (as it is mine) I mean disapointed is kinda harsh, no? Every game cant be your all time favorite.

Ryth
07-30-2005, 03:59 AM
1. Halo series- good game undeserved hype
2. Grand Theft Auto series- not that great of a game honestly.
3. Fable- good game yet overhyped way overhyped.

Can't think of anymore :riiight:

Tidus Andronicus
07-30-2005, 04:05 AM
1. Halo 2
2. Fable
3. Halo (hype gained after release, even though it was just another average FPS)
4. World Of Warcraft
5. GTA series
6. FF7

Madame Adequate
07-30-2005, 04:21 AM
Half-Life
Half-Life 2
FFVI
Fable (Overhyped more than overrated. Still a very good game, but nothing on the scale of A - What we'd been promised and B - What Molyneux can deliver.)
Metroid Prime

You'll note they are all good games, but not a one of them deserves most of the accolades they get, except maybe FFVI, 'cause that one probably is personal taste more than anything else.

ThroneofDravaris
07-30-2005, 04:40 AM
1. Halo
2. Halo 2
3. half-Life 2
4. Golden Eye 64
5. Turok 2

Erdrick Holmes
07-30-2005, 06:19 AM

We need to show these morons that 3D fighter always pale in comparison to 2D ones. The game sucks so badly that a blind kid I read about in a news article did well in that game, any idiot can do fine in that game if they hit the controller with their face 8 times.

black orb
07-30-2005, 07:43 AM
>>> I think Kingdom Hearts is overrated..

BatChao
07-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Hmm... my list is something like (in no particular order):

Halo series
GTA 3 series
God of War
Doom series

Hmm.. that's only 4, but I can't think of any more...

Oh, and Joel, just because someone doesn't agree with you, doesn't make them a moron. Sorry.

Excelsior
07-30-2005, 09:10 AM
o god, Doom 3. the fact that anyone even considers it good at all makes it the most overrated game ever. At least I got some enjoyment out of halo, short as it may have been. Doom 3 is possibly one of the worst games I have ever played (finished games...not counting bugged ones, and E.T.). I would not wish this game on my worst enemy. So basically, its...

1.Doom 3
2.Halo 2
3.FF X-2
4.Halo
5.Resident Evil anything (exept 4)

Slothy
07-30-2005, 02:13 PM
I don't see how you can call the Doom "series" overrated. If you wanted to call Doom 3 overrated, I could let you get away with it, even though every review I read pointed out it's flaws, which many agree on (and I did enjoy the game). But the original Doom , although not the first FPS, is certainly single handedly responsible for popularizing the genre. I mean who didn't play that game and have fun? If it hadn't been made, I doubt the FPS genre would be where it is today. Things probably would have happened much differently had ID not met with that success. Is the original overrated? I don't think so. Most people acknowledge it as nothing more than a fun game, and the one that started it all for the genre. Both of which are completely true. No one goes around claiming it's the best game of all time (although the fun of it stands the test of time better than a lot of modern games).

ljkkjlcm9
07-30-2005, 04:28 PM

We need to show these morons that 3D fighter always pale in comparison to 2D ones. The game sucks so badly that a blind kid I read about in a news article did well in that game, any idiot can do fine in that game if they hit the controller with their face 8 times.

are you calling me a moron? that comment confused me. Not sure if you agree or disagree with me there...

THE JACKEL

Pure Strife
07-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Tomb Raider anything.

SomethingBig
07-30-2005, 05:38 PM
3.FF X-2
How is it overrated when few people think it's great? If anything, it's underrated.

What pisses me off most about people that hate FFX-2 is that the only other game they've played is FFX.

Tidus Andronicus
07-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Personally, I liked FFX-2, but I wouldn't classify it as a Final Fantasy... lol
Its one of those games that Square shouldn't have called an FF game(there were a few of those, that I actually liked, but I wouldn't call an FF). xD
But either way, its a good game, its just it has a different style, so different people liked it or hated it.

I really don't think FFX-2 was over hyped... cause very few people actually played it... and there wheren't a lot of commercials out for it when it came out. Hype is when a game is heavilly advertized and talked about in the media and by the gamming public... and FFX-2 was shunned by a lot of gammers before it even came out, just because of the way it looked... lol

Rye
07-30-2005, 06:17 PM
3.FF X-2
How is it overrated when few people think it's great? If anything, it's underrated.

What pisses me off most about people that hate FFX-2 is that the only other game they've played is FFX.

Yeah, I would not call FFX-2 overrated. I didn't love it, but it was a very good game and the things I dislike aren't flaws with the game, but just my interests in games not being met (like a romance, as I'm a hopeless romance in games nerd. There needed to be more Lenne and Shuyin, in my opinion), but that's just me.

Erdrick Holmes
07-30-2005, 06:20 PM
are you calling me a moron? that comment confused me. Not sure if you agree or disagree with me there...

THE JACKEL

No, dude. I was agreeing with your post.

SomethingBig
07-30-2005, 06:20 PM
ROOFLS, that's strange cuz I loved X-2 because of the romance. It was weird seeing Yuna with Shuyin and I even started to want to see Yuna fall in love with Shuyin.

Black Mage FF1
07-30-2005, 06:42 PM

I can justify that;
To many fanboys/fangirls
To many spin-offs.
I agree with the FFVI part. But FFVII? It's hyped for a damn good reason.

Graphics:
For the one of the early playstation games, it had mind-boggingly beautiful graphics. It was the first game to tell a solid, extremely intricate story through FMVs. Not to mention the fact that "One Winged Angel" made the Sephiroth battle one of the most memorable battles in video-game history.

Gameplay:
It was loaded with mini-games and ways to actually alter the plot. To most other games, mini-games are just things to pass the time and a way to take a break from the main game. The mini-games actually served a huge purpose in FFVII. The interactive story called for major replayability.

The Materia system was probably the most innovative thing done in any video-game. There were infinite possibilities with customization.

FFVII being overrated? That's a load of bull/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif right there. If any FF deserves the overrated title, it's FFX. Linear map, linear story, boring gameplay.

The materia system being the most innovative? lol. The materia system was OK at best. Anybody could do anything. Your best fighter could be your best magic user, and had max HP and max MP, it shouldn't be like that. Final Fantasy should stick to job based systems. The materia system made FFVII way to ****ing easy. Anyone can do anything and any character becomes godly. Not cool.

As for the graphics they were pretty horrible. Now i know this game was the first final fantasy for playstation , but i felt like i was playing the part of a talking cube with misshapen body parts. Once again i understand it was a first for the final fantasy series but i could have made a character that has a better looking physical appearance with my ass. Had they spent more time giving the characters better bodies and looks they were too busy making clouds sword 2 times the size of cloud himself.

I can go on with the character developement too. Its FAR from great. You want great, go play FFT.

Now dont get me wrong. I love FFVII. But it is FAR from great. And it is one of the most overrated games ever. Along with Halo1 and 2.

SomethingBig
07-30-2005, 06:58 PM
The materia system being the most innovative? lol. The materia system was OK at best. Anybody could do anything. Your best fighter could be your best magic user, and had max HP and max MP, it shouldn't be like that. Final Fantasy should stick to job based systems. The materia system made FFVII way to ****ing easy. Anyone can do anything and any character becomes godly. Not cool.

That's what makes the customization possibilities of FFVII great. You can do anything with the materia system. You can even have jobs using the materia system. You can have a white mage fighter. You can have a black/white mage, anything.

As for the graphics they were pretty horrible. Now i know this game was the first final fantasy for playstation , but i felt like i was playing the part of a talking cube with misshapen body parts. Once again i understand it was a first for the final fantasy series but i could have made a character that has a better looking physical appearance with my ass. Had they spent more time giving the characters better bodies and looks they were too busy making clouds sword 2 times the size of cloud himself.
Please stop. FFVII was created in the very early Playstation days, when its graphical capabilities weren't even realized. It was not just the first FF for the PS, but one of the first games for the PS. So you can make a 3D character that looks better than what FFVII had? Let's see it, champ.

Lindy
07-30-2005, 07:04 PM
Actually, FF7's characters were designed as they were to appear "retro", along with the actions of the characters, such as sort-of reaching down to a hatch to open it but not really.

The graphical potential of the PSX was very much realised at that point, and much better graphics could have been used, just that it wasn't the objective.

SomethingBig
07-30-2005, 07:09 PM
So they were trying to give it an anime-ish feel, or something?

Lindy
07-30-2005, 07:12 PM
No, they were trying to make it feel like a retro game, remind people of older games like FF6, where you were supposed to IMAGINE the character opening a hatch when in reality they just sort of...move a bit and hop around.

SomethingBig
07-30-2005, 07:23 PM
Oh ho ho, I understand. Is that a Killer 7 picture in your sig? How is that game?

Lindy
07-30-2005, 07:25 PM
Yes, it's Dan Smith, and it's a great game, but it's not for everyone.

Worth a rental at least, but I bought it and love it, but not everyone does.

Cloud No.9
07-30-2005, 07:34 PM
halo 1 and 2
fable
why has noone said killzone yet?
driver 3?

oh yeah and half life 2 was not ever hyped. it was worth the hype.

SomethingBig
07-30-2005, 07:38 PM
I heard that you only move on a set track in the game and is very linear. Is it true?

I don't think Killzone was overhyped. The creators said that it would be a Halo killer, but I thought many were disappointed with it.

Lindy
07-30-2005, 07:44 PM
The game is on rails, yes, but it's not totally linear. The rail system is actually, and very oddly, quite liberating, since you can just concentrate on the beauty of the environments and characters, as well as the slaughtering waves of Heaven's Smiles, instead of complex movements and whatnot.

And Killzone, it had TV adverts, it had adverts on the sides of buses, it was EVERYWHERE.

And yet, it was awful, that fits for overhyped very well.

SomethingBig
07-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Oh, I saw, like 2 commercials of it on TV. I had no idea it received that much attention.

Lindy
07-30-2005, 07:58 PM
It was everywhere in England, like a plague.

I gave it a go, took it back two days later and swapped it for Ratchet and Clank 3, which I loved and I still do to this day.

Spammerman
07-30-2005, 11:44 PM
1. Halo 2
2. Halo 2
3. Halo 2
4. Halo 2
5. Halo 2
lol

KentaRawr!
07-31-2005, 01:12 AM
Let's see...

... ... ...

Err....

Well, Halo 2 was hyped, and I don't like FPS's, so I will just say Halo 2. Though I never actually played it. o_o

SomethingBig
07-31-2005, 03:47 AM
I probably should've put Super Smash Bros. onto my list.

BatChao
07-31-2005, 11:17 AM
I don't see how you can call the Doom "series" overrated. If you wanted to call Doom 3 overrated, I could let you get away with it, even though every review I read pointed out it's flaws, which many agree on (and I did enjoy the game). But the original Doom , although not the first FPS, is certainly single handedly responsible for popularizing the genre. I mean who didn't play that game and have fun? If it hadn't been made, I doubt the FPS genre would be where it is today. Things probably would have happened much differently had ID not met with that success. Is the original overrated? I don't think so. Most people acknowledge it as nothing more than a fun game, and the one that started it all for the genre. Both of which are completely true. No one goes around claiming it's the best game of all time (although the fun of it stands the test of time better than a lot of modern games).

Actually... I hate the Doom series... all three of them. I actually think that Doom could have been skipped entirely and the FPS genre would be pretty much intact. I mean... what did Doom add to Wolfenstein 3D? More guns? A 'darker' atmosphere? Not exactly groundbreaking, there. And they are pretty boring, too... so, yea. That's why I listed the entire series as being overrated. I recently went back and played the original Doom and Doom 2 and thought they were pretty awful. I think the FPS credit really belongs to Wolfenstein 3D and Quake... since Quake first came up with the whole mouselook thing... or was that Duke Nukem 3D? I don't remember. Anyway, the point is, Doom didn't add anything meaningful to the FPS genre, I don't think, so I think it's highly overrated.

Slothy
07-31-2005, 02:07 PM
I mean... what did Doom add to Wolfenstein 3D? More guns? A 'darker' atmosphere? Not exactly groundbreaking, there. And they are pretty boring, too... so, yea. That's why I listed the entire series as being overrated. I recently went back and played the original Doom and Doom 2 and thought they were pretty awful. I think the FPS credit really belongs to Wolfenstein 3D and Quake... since Quake first came up with the whole mouselook thing... or was that Duke Nukem 3D? I don't remember. Anyway, the point is, Doom didn't add anything meaningful to the FPS genre, I don't think, so I think it's highly overrated.

The point I was making wasn't that it was a huge leap over Wolfenstein (which it wasn't), the point was it was the first FPS that can truly be considered popular. Everyone played that game. Businesses wouldn't let employees have it on their computers because they'd play multiplayer over office networks rather than work. Relatively few people ever played Wolfenstein 3D, and many have probably only heard of it as a little note in a Doom article about Doom not being the first. Hell, it was my dad who downloaded the shareware levels for Doom (suffice it to say, the odds of my dad hearing about a game before me, even back then were not that great). The fact is, even people who weren't normally gamers got into Doom. It was also the first with a real mod scene, and you had tons of fans out there creating their own levels (and look at how popular modding and level making has become today. Some of my favorite games are mods of other games). You may not think Doom was fun, but there are a lot of people who would disagree with you. Did it bring a lot of new gameplay to the table? No, but so few people played Wolfenstein that it didn't really need to. But I dare say it's poularity is probably what let Id create a game like Quake and have it succeed in the first place. Everyone was on the look out for the next Doom.

Excelsior
08-01-2005, 06:42 AM
[QUOTE=SomethingBig
[/QUOTE]

well, most people i know think its ok, and since i think its one of the worst games ever, i think its overrated.

P.S. i fail at quoting stuff.

DJZen
08-01-2005, 10:59 PM
1) anything with Grand Theft Auto in the title
explanation: the whole "I just had sex with a hooker then ran over her in the car we had sex in and stole my money back!" thing gets old after the 10th or so time, and really what more is there to the game?

2) anything with Tomb Raider in the title
explanation: the series is a total joke now (as it should be), but in its heyday people made a HUGE fuss over it and Lara Croft was considered "hottest game gurl EVAR!" to a point that still makes my skin crawl.

3) Final Fantasy VII
explanation: Maybe it's just the iconoclast in me, but I think that people make a bigger deal out of this game than they ought to. Contrary to popular belief, there was nothing that was technically ground breaking. Even in a historical context, there were games with far better graphics at that point. Square themselves even admitted it was rushed. I personally enjoy playing "count the pixels" on some of the backgrounds. Plus which I wasn't all that wild about the story. This game was actually the whole reason that RPGs and the Playstation became so wildly popular, so it's really not hard to call it overhyped.

4) Halo
explanation: OMG IT HAS TEH BUGGY!!!!11 It's yet another console FPS. Who cares? FPSs on consoles have horrible controls by definition, and this is no exception. Poor Bungie really ruined their reputation with this one. Not that Oni was anything spectacular...

5) Pitfall
explanation: I dunno, was this game really all that revolutionary? It was a decently made game and all but it just didn't have much to offer. After you've jumped over your 10th snake you start wishing you could punch things or shoot things. Even Adventure lets you pick up a sword for 5 seconds. Sheesh.

Fithos
08-02-2005, 01:29 AM
i would have to say pretty much anything for x-box.

x-box itself is pretty hyped up.

the only games that i would leave out is kotor.

Excelsior
08-02-2005, 06:09 AM
i would have to say pretty much anything for x-box.

x-box itself is pretty hyped up.

the only games that i would leave out is kotor.

YES. and ninja gaiden.