PDA

View Full Version : so im building a new computer and...

Deaths_Hand
07-29-2005, 03:51 AM
Im working on building a computer, got everything put in and hooked up correctly but im having problems. Once it goes to load windows a screen pops up asking to load windows from last configurations that worked or start windows normally. Either one ends up in the same result, it tries to load for 2-3 seconds then stops and my computer restarts and sends me to the same screen asking how to start windows. Any ideas on whats wrong or what i need to do? thank you in advance.

crono_logical
07-29-2005, 07:51 AM
Reinstall Windows :D

If you've built the PC from scratch, it's usually not a good idea to stick in a HD with an existing copy of Windows installed because it's likely the hardware configuration will be completely different to what that copy of Windows saw last time it was booted in the old machine - it's normal to install the operating system after building the computer :p My guess is a HAL mismatch for that Windows installation, in which case reinstalling (either clean, or on top) is the only way to fix it.

Samuraid
07-29-2005, 08:16 PM
You should also consider running chkdsk or something similar to identify and repair possible disk errors. A few corrupted windows files can cause your computer to die in such a manner.
However, reinstalling remains the best solution.

Deaths_Hand
07-30-2005, 12:43 AM
How would i go about reinstalling windows? i put the windows disc in and it just tries to boot off it.

Levian
07-30-2005, 01:54 AM
Well, if you did try the plug thing then I don't know why. :confused:

Meat Puppet
07-30-2005, 03:03 AM
Are you building this super evil computer for world domination, per chance?

Endless
07-30-2005, 10:49 AM
How would i go about reinstalling windows? i put the windows disc in and it just tries to boot off it.

Boot from the disc, say you want to install, select the drive where it's installed on, and it'll ask if you want to make a new install that will erase the old one, or a repair install. New install will delete the windows directory, repair install will erase the base stuff and reinstall, which has the benefit of keeping the accounts, settings, and programs you already have (minus windows updates).

Max
08-17-2005, 09:59 PM
I wish i was smart enough to create a computer. I need a new cheap comp.