PDA

View Full Version : Games selling systems

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-29-2005, 12:11 PM
Have you ever bought a console or handheld solely for the purpose of playing a single game for it? Been in a situation where there turned out to be plenty of other games for it that you could enjoy after the fact, but the only reason you bought it in the first place was to play that one game?

Drift
07-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Isnt that how it works nowadays anyways? Xbox360, PS3, Revolution, PSP, DS eveything is dependant on games, not just the hardware it has, FF, Sonic, Mario, RE, but everythings coming x-console now.

GooeyToast
07-29-2005, 12:16 PM
I guess you could say that LoZ: WW might have been a strong influence on my decision to buy a GC, but that wasnt the sole reason of purchase.

When i first bought my PS2, I wasnt even much of a gamer. In fact, I believe i bought it for NHL Hitz. :o_0: But then after a year or so, thats when I realzied there were better games than that. :cool:

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-29-2005, 12:25 PM
Isnt that how it works nowadays anyways? Xbox360, PS3, Revolution, PSP, DS eveything is dependant on games, not just the hardware it has, FF, Sonic, Mario, RE, but everythings coming x-console now.I'm talking about buying a system for a single, specific game, not for an array of games or even for a single franchise.

Meat Puppet
07-29-2005, 12:29 PM
I considered buying a PSP solely for GTA: Liberty City Stories, but then I worried about cash issues so I brought a diet coke instead. (there was a picture of a black woman drinking coke somewhere I had seen recently)

Dreddz
07-29-2005, 01:30 PM
I didnt do it for just a game
But I did get a PS2 so I could get FF
But even if I didnt like FF, I would of still probably got a PS2

Shoeberto
07-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Hmm...nope. The closest was shelling out the dough for a GBA and Metroid Fusion that being the only game I had for the GBA for a while, but that was more because I was broke after the fact.

Behold the Void
07-29-2005, 06:32 PM
I won't buy for one game, although if there are just a handful of games I want I'd probably buy the system if I had the funds. I want to buy a PSP primarily for Generation of Chaos when it comes out, but there are other games I'd get for it as well.

Vermachtnis
07-29-2005, 06:34 PM
Yea I got my Gamecube just for Metroid Prime. Now I've got almost the same amount of games for that has my PS2.

UWAOOOOU
07-29-2005, 06:44 PM
I bought the PS2 for playing FF although I manged to find plenty of other great games. I probably wouldnt have bought a GC but I wanted to play LoZ WW.

Necronopticous
07-29-2005, 06:50 PM
I bought PS1 the first time around just for Final Fantasy VII.

Aphelion
07-29-2005, 06:51 PM
I got my GBA for the Pokémon games, but later I got tired of them, left them for two years or so and started to find out about other great GBA titles (and that's when I started playing RPGs seriously) and, nowadays, I use my GBA to play anything BUT Pokémon...

DK
07-29-2005, 06:59 PM
I got my Gameboy colour just for Pokemon also, then reverted to using it solely for Kirby.

Agent Proto
07-29-2005, 07:03 PM
I don't remember any system I bought just for one game... however, at the time, I bought the Nintendo DS just for WarioWare Touched!

Shoeberto
07-29-2005, 07:07 PM
I remember I did do this once...I rented Perfect Dark for GBC, but all I had was the big, old Game Boy. It didn't work, so I somehow convinced my mom to buy a GBC for me. Just for a game that I rented.

Really, kind of a waste of money, especially since I got a GBA a year or two later.

Lindy
07-29-2005, 07:22 PM
I bought Wind Waker WITH my Gamecube, on the day of release, solely for that game. Now it's the console I have the most games for, and the most games that I replay and enjoy.

I bought my GBA SP in order to play Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles, and I didn't actually buy any games for it until several months later.

I half-bought my PS2 in order to play FFX, but shortly before buying it, wanted to get MGS2 as well, and I did so since both FFX and MGS2 were cheaper when bought with a PS2.

rubah
07-29-2005, 07:30 PM
I'm not sure that it counts, since we rented it from hastings first, but FFX was the only reason I got a ps2.

General-Beatrix
07-29-2005, 07:39 PM
I bought a Gamecube just to play the Resident Evil games. But then I started buying other games for it.

Cloud No.9
07-29-2005, 07:40 PM
i bought a new ps2 when my old one refused to play lego star wars.

Sepho
07-29-2005, 07:47 PM
I don't like having my options limited, so for almost as long as I've been a gamer, I've been in the habit of buying all the new consoles that come out instead of choosing one or two from each generation. That way, when I hear about a new game that I want, I don't even wonder what console it's for, or if I can play it on the machines that I have.

Of course, I have to choose which one to get first, and that's where the games factor into it. Usually I look at a bigger part of the game library, but I imagine that one awesome game would be enough. Like, if I didn't already have a GameCube, I would buy one just for Zelda: Twilight Princess. I'd probably buy a PS2 just for FF12, too.

Pure Strife
07-29-2005, 07:55 PM
Bought a Gamecube solely for Resident Evil. I have a few games for it now, but it's still pretty much used for Resident Evil.

Got a GBC a few years back purely for Pokemon. I never really did get anything other than Pokemon for it, I'm not really fond of platform games.

-N-
07-29-2005, 08:00 PM
I bought PS1 the first time around just for Final Fantasy VII.Yep.

SomethingBig
07-29-2005, 08:21 PM
I bought the PS2 for FFX and the Cube for Wind Waker. I was extremely disappointed with FFX and satisfied with WW. And if Twilight Princess isn't reason enough for anyone to get a Gamecube, then I will force them to stop playing games.

Lindy
07-29-2005, 08:23 PM
I was extremely disappointed with FFX and satisfied with WW.
Hello twin brother.

Cz
07-29-2005, 10:39 PM
No, and I don't think I ever would.

UWAOOOOU
07-29-2005, 10:42 PM
I was extremely disappointed with FFX and satisfied with WW.
Hello twin brother.Thats why I bought bought consoles fr both games also. I loved both games though.

SomethingBig
07-29-2005, 10:48 PM
You like FFX? Pfft! This family shuns you! You're no twin! :mad2:

If it counts, my brothers bought the N64 for OoT, as most people did, I assume. I'll probably end up getting the PS3 for FFXIII. I'm too much of a fanboy not to.

UWAOOOOU
07-29-2005, 10:56 PM
You like FFX? Pfft! This family shuns you! You're no twin! :mad2:

If it counts, my brothers bought the N64 for OoT, as most people did, I assume. I'll probably end up getting the PS3 for FFXIII. I'm too much of a fanboy not to.Thats partly why I bought WW, to play OoT and I loved them both :D

I thought FFX was class. I couldnt see anything bad about it to say the least.

ZeZipster
07-29-2005, 10:59 PM
I bought my PSP for Armored Core: Formula Front. It isn't even out yet...

nik0tine
07-29-2005, 10:59 PM
I bought a gamecube for the sole purpose of being able to play the Resident Evil series. I bought a PS2 so I could play Final Fantasy and other Square games.

°ż°ż°
07-29-2005, 11:07 PM
hmm me and my brother bought an xbox just for halo and then we found out there were alot of other games we liked to it

Del Murder
07-30-2005, 01:53 AM
I bought a PS2 to play FFX, as well as the older FF games because I didn't have a PS1. I also bought a GBA to play FF Tactics Advance, and Pokemon I guess. I will eventually buy a Nintendo DS to play FFIII. I'm a little addicted to this series...

black orb
07-30-2005, 02:20 AM
>>> I gonna buy a GBA just to play FF Dawn of Souls..

Lionx
07-30-2005, 02:39 AM
I dont think i ever did that. I got PS2 because i wanted all the old PSX games i didnt play when i had N64. Then the PS2 games(which are less than the number of PSX games i bought) are next. I got GC because i looked forward to Smash, Zelda, Tales, and Metroid. ^^; I liked Halo although its not as GOOD as it is hyped up for me, and i prolly might have gotten Xbox too but seeing that nothing else interested me besides Halo and DoA, i did not buy one.

krissy
07-30-2005, 02:45 AM
once i downloaded a sega console just to play shining force i think
never got to the first boss
actually don't even remember getting to the first battle

kikimm
07-30-2005, 02:49 AM
No. Maybe it's just me, but I find that sort of.....not dumb, but I don't get it. I think it's taking a pretty big risk; if I'm going to buy any system, it's because there's either a lot of games on it that I really, really want, or it's a next-gen.

Maybe I should take more risks. =/ Lately I've been wanting a Gamecube, for some strange reason.

:D

Psychotic
07-30-2005, 02:51 AM
I've been seriously considering getting a PSP for the new GTA game but I don't know if I actually will or not.