PDA

View Full Version : Pop vs. Soda

Dr Unne
07-31-2001, 03:29 AM
Which is the correct term for a carbonated beverage?

Is it <b><font size=+2 color=red>pop</font></b>!!

*bells ring, lights flash, sirens sound, a huge sign saying POP!! appears, trumpets blare, jets fly overhead, fireworks go off, the crowd starts cheering POP! POP! POP!, the peasants rejoice, and all is well with the world*

...or soda.

*crickets chirp, and an eerie silence ensues*

Red Wizard
07-31-2001, 03:32 AM
Hehehe, just have to go against the grain a little, although I usually refer to it as carbonated caffiene, the drink of the gods, aka Bawls

Chris Lionheart
07-31-2001, 03:33 AM
Pop!

Gotta be pop cuz carbs give you energy and POP has a lot more energy to it than soda.

Dr Unne
07-31-2001, 03:33 AM
*erases Red Wizard from the List of Good People*

Pancaek
07-31-2001, 03:34 AM
Yes, it's <font size=4 color="red">POP!</font> Bow down to the greatness that is <font size=4 color="red">POP!</font> *drinks a huge bottle of <font size=4 color="red">POP</font>* Come on everyone, have some <font size=4 color="red">POP</font> with me! :D

Agent Proto
07-31-2001, 03:35 AM
It's soda. Always have been, and will be soda.

But... in your case good Dr Unne. I will call it "Pop".

Red Wizard
07-31-2001, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
*erases Red Wizard from the List of Good People*
Hey! I didn't mention the s-word, just that I exclusively drink Bawls.

Chris Lionheart
07-31-2001, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Red Wizard

just that I exclusively drink Bawls.

Whats a bawl?

Raistlin
07-31-2001, 03:41 AM
When will all you backward people get in through your head?

It's <H1>SODA!!!!!</H1>

Meh. Pop sucks.:p

Loony BoB
07-31-2001, 03:42 AM
The poll needs more options.

Here in NZ, it's usually called a cool drink, soft drink or fizzy (for the kids). I call it soft drink, but most often just say the name of the drink itself, like Fanta, or Mountain Dew, or whatever.

*doesn't vote*

Red Wizard
07-31-2001, 03:47 AM
Originally posted by Chris Lionheart

Whats a bawl?

Bawls is a highly caffinated soda. You can probably find it at your local 7-11/conivience store. The bottle is textured so you don't drop it while your hand is shaking from the extra stimulants.

Dr Unne
07-31-2001, 03:47 AM
<i>The poll needs more options. </i> --Loony BoB

If you don't know what to vote, just vote POP. :)

Cute&Dangerous
07-31-2001, 03:48 AM
POP of course!
pfft... soda *rolls eyes* ^^

*prepares to be beaten by all the "soda" proclamers*

Lehteb
07-31-2001, 03:50 AM
POP!!!!

heh

Chris Lionheart
07-31-2001, 03:50 AM
Originally posted by Red Wizard

Bawls is a highly caffinated soda. You can probably find it at your local 7-11/conivience store. The bottle is textured so you don't drop it while your hand is shaking from the extra stimulants.

Oh thats like that stuff that college students use to stay awake at all hours of the night cramming for their Finals the next day.

Red Wizard
07-31-2001, 03:52 AM
I personally use it while gaming at my local cyber-cafe.

Dr Unne
07-31-2001, 03:54 AM
Back on topic! Talk about the superiority of the word POP, and nothing else. :)

Chris Lionheart
07-31-2001, 03:56 AM
Wait I just thought of this. Dont they use the word SODA-POP? So is there really a difference?

Dr Unne
07-31-2001, 03:57 AM
Yes, there's a difference. SODA-POP is wrong. POP is right. :)

Raistlin
07-31-2001, 04:01 AM
It was originally sodapop, but smart people broke it up and started using "soda". Silly sods, like Brian Carper here, liked the inane sounding "pop" and went on to spread their inanity throughout the backwoods where they now live.

Frihet
07-31-2001, 04:01 AM
Why, Carpie? WHY!!!?? I thought you were one of the good guys, and then you do something like THIS!!

It's SODA, people!!

If SerGe comes by, tell him that I said "No more of that pop-nonsense, or I'll spank you", okie?

Emerald Aeris
07-31-2001, 04:03 AM
Pop. Who says soda? Pfft...

Pancaek
07-31-2001, 04:16 AM
<font size=5 color="red">POP</font> lovers are not silly sods, Raistlin. ¬_¬

Raistlin
07-31-2001, 04:23 AM
Of course they are Skye.:p

And Elyse is just...*waves out towards space* out there, don't mind her.:tongue:

*gives Frihet a high-five*

<H1>SODA!!!!!!</H1>

Pancaek
07-31-2001, 04:27 AM
I'll tell you who're the sods, Raistlin. ¬_¬

Unne and I are so gonna whoop your soda-lover @$$ this time around! :D

Shoeberto
07-31-2001, 04:28 AM
<font color="#009999">
Pop! It's simply pop! Pop, pop!
Soda it is not, it certainly is not.
It's pop, it's pop, it's Pop!
*big flashy Vega ending*

Pop, it's pop, it's pop!!!!

Rydia of Mist
07-31-2001, 04:29 AM
Tsk tsk tsk... It is most obviously the name "SODA" that is superior. Why is it superior? What sounds more mature and distinguished. "Soda." That's right, "soda." Which sounds more intelligent?

"May I please have a soda?"

OR

"GIMME A POP!!"

I believe the answer is apparent.

Chickencha
07-31-2001, 04:33 AM
Oh, c'mon. When have we ever been concerned about sounding intelligent? The obvious answer is "pop." Besides, "pop" is one letter shorter, making it quicker to type, and therefore superior.

Collector
07-31-2001, 04:44 AM
I call it pop, but lately I've been questioning the faith.

It does say soda right on the can.

I still voted for pop tho.

(Thanks to this ongoing debate I found that similarly themed Digimon commercial hilarious. :))

Pancaek
Pah. We, the <b><font size=5 color="red">POP</font></b> masters, know that <b><font size=5 color="red">POP</font></b> is infintely superior to soda. It's superior because <b><font size=5 color="red">POP</font></b> is onomatopeic. Soda isn't. Have you ever heard anything make a "soda" sound? No! Things go "<b><font size=5 color="red">POP</font></b>" , not "soda"! *smirks*

Raistlin
Bring it on, you bloody poppers.:p

SODA is the superior sounding word. "Pop" just sounds...hicky, backwoods, etc. Something skanker would say, in other words.;)

<H1>SODA!!!!</H1>

Flamethrower
07-31-2001, 04:47 AM
Neither. Here in the Southern area I live in(LA), we call it Cold Drinks. I don't know why, thought, since almost every drink there is is cold.

But if I had to choice between pop or soda, Id say soda. Pop just doesn't sound good. "Hey, ill have a pop!" "Pass me a pop!" Does that sound right? I always though pop was a word only used in the 50's.

Zell's Fists of Fury
07-31-2001, 04:48 AM
C'mon people. Its obvious that its called "Carbonated, non-alcoholic beverage that is loaded with sugars and other good stuff to rot the teeth out of little kid's heads" I mean DUH. What sound better? "Yo! I need a pop!" In which someone might punch you in the mouth, "Hey! I could go for a Soda right now!" In which someone could mis hear you and go buy you a new couch, or "I wish I had a carbonated, non-alcoholic beverage that is loaded with sugars and other good stuff to rot the teeth out of little kid's heads" in which the people know what you want and they go get you one.

Pancaek
07-31-2001, 04:49 AM
Also, you know the Rice Krispies elves, right? Snap, Crackle and <b><font size=5 color="red">POP</font></b>? Well, I think "Snap, crackle, soda, Kellogg's Rice Krispies!" sounds <i>way</i> stupider than "Snap, crackle, <b><font size=5 color="red">POP</font></b> , Kellogg's Rice Krispies!"

Agent Proto
07-31-2001, 04:53 AM
O_o *has found another reason why people like Pop so much.... 3 letters consisting of only P and O and both letters are close to each other in the keyboard. O_o*

But it still is

<font size=12><font color=skyblue>Soda!</font></font>

Kalen
07-31-2001, 05:03 AM
Bah, I don't drink pop/soda, and I usually call it whatever comes to my head first, pop, soda, monkey poodie. *doesn't vote* =P

Schala
07-31-2001, 05:10 AM
It's pop. And I am not a backwoods hick or a country bumpkin. I used to live in the Chicago area. That's just how it's said around there. These losers in Wisconsin call it "soda" though. They also call water fountains "bubblers".

Zell's Fists of Fury
07-31-2001, 05:10 AM
I demand that there be a "carbonated, non-alcoholic beverage that is loaded with sugars and other good stuff to rot the teeth out of little kid's heads" button on there. It is most obviously the correct choice and I will not rest untill It happens. I will sned a letter to Congress everyweek untill it happens, and if I still dont get enough funds to build a library, then I'll send two letters a week. Wait..........

Pancaek
07-31-2001, 05:15 AM
Spiff: Like Unne said, if you don't know what to vote for, vote <b> <font size=5 color="red">POP!</font></b>

Frihet
07-31-2001, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by Flamethrower
I always though pop was a word only used in the 50's.

So true. xD

I mean, "soda" is smooth, and easy to say, and sounds elegant. Now, compare that to "pop", which has two hard, nasty p's in it, isn't as smooth, and sure as heck not as elegant.

SODA!!

Zell's Fists of Fury
07-31-2001, 05:33 AM
Originally posted by Skye-chan
Spiff: Like Unne said, if you don't know what to vote for, vote <b> <font size=5 color="red">POP!</font></b>
I know what I want to vote for and I want to vote for carbonated, non-alcoholic beverage that is loaded with sugars and other good stuff to rot the teeth out of little kid's heads

Flamethrower
07-31-2001, 05:40 AM
You see, Spaceman Spiff, the reason they don't call them "carbonated, non-alcoholic beverage that is loaded with sugars and other good stuff to rot the teeth out of little kid's heads" is because they are trying to sell the drinks, not scare people away with them.

Drex
07-31-2001, 05:44 AM
Soda, methinks. :D When I go to college out west, though, it'll most definitely be pop. :D

Pancaek
07-31-2001, 06:14 AM
Double posting is wrong. Especially if you don't support <b><font size=5 color="red">POP!</font></b>

Pancaek
07-31-2001, 06:26 AM
It doesn't matter how long the wait was. And my original word was <b><font size=5 color="red">POP</font></b>, not soda.

black orb
07-31-2001, 06:30 AM
>>> .. is this insane thread again !! :rolleyes2
>>> anyway i gonna still saying COKE..

Pancaek
07-31-2001, 06:32 AM
*smites WLunaris* Quit twisting my words. :mad:

Pancaek
07-31-2001, 06:39 AM
Let's try to keep on topic. *drinks some sort of carbonated beverage whose name is yet to be determined*

Zell's Fists of Fury
07-31-2001, 06:42 AM
Now its getting stupid.... I think Sky-chan should be able to smite who ever s/he wants.

By the by, I still support carbonated, non-alcoholic beverage that is loaded with sugars and other good stuff to rot the teeth out of little kid's heads and FYI to Flamie, nobody said anything about selling pop. Were talking about what we call them, and thats what I call it. I WANT A FREAKING BUTTON

Edit: Thats enough out of you, WLunar-something (I cant see yoiur name as I am typing this) Youre getting annoying and stupid.

eestlinc
07-31-2001, 06:53 AM
Well, being from Atlanta, I always called it Coke...But I use soda as well so I voted that way. I wasn't even aware anyone outside of Ohio and Pennsylvania even said Pop. Its bad enought eh Univ. of CIncinnati (where i go) is sponsored by disgusting Pepsi, they could at least call it soda...

Kawaii Ryűkishi
07-31-2001, 07:20 AM
I remember once, <i>way</i> back when, in elementary or middle school, we had a new girl come in from up north. She seemed all right, until one day she called soda "pop." We immediately made sure to crush any self esteem she may have had at that point.

Edit: I originally typed a sizable rant on why you pop-sayers shouldn't voluntarily rank with Unne, a guy who doesn't enjoy seeing himself portrayed in compromising situations with a large ogre. Then I decided to scrap such formality and get to the meat of it.

<!--There will be others, Unne.-->

*SMITE*

Zell's Fists of Fury
07-31-2001, 07:39 AM
*giggles uncontrollably*

Ashi
07-31-2001, 07:47 AM
<font color=FF99CC face=Tahoma>I've been saying forever that it's <b>Pop</b>. :greenie:

No one ever believes me though. :tongue:

*Goes with <b>Soda</b>* *Jk*

Wyllius
07-31-2001, 07:58 AM
It's Fizzy Pop !

Bong McMond
07-31-2001, 11:28 AM
I dont say neither... I only drink Tea.

*creates a shrine to tea*

Anything I posted previously is a lie.... . LIE I SAY!!!

*waves a very menacing finger at people*

Red Wizard
07-31-2001, 12:32 PM
Ah, yes, but have they made a 'pop' song on a popular anime? Didn't think so, but they have made a 'soda' song. And besides, if you ask someone for pop, they might just give you a Backstreet Boys (That's harder to type than I thought) CD, and I don't think anyone here wants that.... I hope.

RSL
07-31-2001, 12:48 PM
It's carbonated beverage fools.

Actually, it's pop. Unne is right. I find that he is never wrong. Way to go Unne!

The Professor
07-31-2001, 12:51 PM
Yop. It's pop. Hey, that rhymes... what else rhymes? How about... purple and....

Mikztsu
07-31-2001, 01:28 PM
What are these Soda and Pop you all babble about?

I just drink perry mineral water and am happy.

Ariel
07-31-2001, 02:39 PM
'Tis soft drink. *flees*

The Professor
07-31-2001, 02:43 PM
Bah. POP Is superior. I drink my POP while surfing here. Dr Pepper is a good POP .

Advent Child
07-31-2001, 02:52 PM
ITS POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPP!!!!!!!!! POOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPP RUUUUULLLLLLLLLLLEEEESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! *realizes what he just said* *giggles* Pop... that is.... POP RULES!

Frihet
07-31-2001, 03:48 PM
I've talked to a number of Canadians about this, including Chris. They all seem to insist on calling it pop. Is this merely a coincidence, or does the general population actually have some strange disease that makes them say pop, when they know, deep down inside, that it is, and will always be soda?

Bong McMond
07-31-2001, 03:56 PM
I would just like to say that 'EoFF Polls' do not lie.

AND THE POLL SAYS POP!!!!!!!!!!!

Hail to the POP baby!!!

Frihet
07-31-2001, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Bong McMond
I would just like to say that 'EoFF Polls' do not lie.

Really, they don't? That's news for me. xD

Tarshish
07-31-2001, 04:15 PM
When will people learn? It's POP ! English naturally takes the easiest word to say and those who say the longer words are more backwards! And I agree with the professor Dr. Pepper is good POP .

Dee
07-31-2001, 04:22 PM
All my life, I never heard one single person say pop. It's soda, people!! SODA. Or soft drink. But never, EVER pop.

Pancaek
07-31-2001, 04:22 PM
Yes, Dr. Pepper is good <b><font size=5 color="red">POP</font></b>, but I think Code Red is good <b><font size=5 color="red">POP</font></b> as well. That's because it's red, like this word. -----> <b><font size=5 color="red">POP!</font></b>

Zidane_219
07-31-2001, 05:07 PM
Uhhhhhhh...... whats the difference? The only thing thats different between pop and soda is that they are spelled and pronounced differently. But I have heard that people from the north say POP and people from the south say SODA , so I'm guessing if you're from Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, etc., you voted SODA and if you're from Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, etc., you voted POP ! Please don't yell at me or not like me if I'm incorrect.:p And if I offended anyone in any way at all, I am very, very, very sorry.

Marak
07-31-2001, 05:34 PM
Nope, sorry, in my neck of the woods we call it Soda. Although sometimes I DO slip up and call it a Pop instead, but that's only when I brain fart.

Velld Ragnarok
07-31-2001, 05:45 PM
POPPITY POP POP!

Ally
07-31-2001, 05:52 PM
We usually say soda around here, but I like pop better.

*votes for pop*

Chaos
07-31-2001, 06:08 PM
<b><i>POP</b></i>

Pop is pop is pop is pop. There are no two ways about it. Soda..ok, soda, ever had an ice cream soda? Yeah, Ice cream in some sweet fizzy stuff, clearly not lemonade. That my friends is soda. Pop on the other hand is fizzy drinks, coke, lemonade blah, but, no self respecting teenager in Blighty would ever dream of saying pop, so, we merely grunt or call it by the brand name..like...'COKE, NOW!'

There.

Chaos

Leknaat V
07-31-2001, 06:37 PM
Pop sounds lame and reminds me of bubbles. Not the bubbles in the drink, mind.

Soda sounds like... a detergent, or something. Why? WHY?

The logical answer is therefore 'Fizzy drink' or 'Soft drink'. And THAT is the end of it. :p

Agent Proto
08-01-2001, 12:11 AM
Both terms are correct, but it is definately...

<font size=12><b>SODA!</b></font>

Raiden
08-01-2001, 12:41 AM
POP all the way!!
Soda frightens me:whoa:

White Raven
08-01-2001, 12:56 AM
I answer with POP:)

That's what I called it when I was small and that's what I'll call it for years to come.

CuteFiliGirl
08-01-2001, 01:18 AM
<font COLOR="royalblue" size="5">SoDa!!</COLOR></size>

Daryl
08-01-2001, 02:03 AM
Soda.

Tidus2002
08-01-2001, 03:47 AM
Obviously the correct answer is...........POP!!!! I did intense research on this subject matter (thinking.....hey thinking is hard when your on summer vacation) and pop is what filled my head that and a piece of coconut cream pie....mmm.....*nudged by pet moogle* huh oh sorry ahem.....MY FINAL ANSWER (the true answer) IS POP!!!!!!!!

Seifer
08-01-2001, 04:23 AM
The answer's obviously <font size=7><font color=limegreen>Soda</font>

Dragoon
08-01-2001, 04:41 AM
The only reason that Pop is winning is that the poll is biased.

*votes for <font color="#00ccff" size="3">Soda</font>*

Flamethrower
08-01-2001, 04:48 AM
Yeah, the poll was a little biased. It wasn't really fair to make one option look good and the other look bad.

YET AGAIN, SODA!

Loony BoB
08-01-2001, 05:22 AM
Since another option was not added, I voted Soda. Not only because I checked the results, and it was losing (and I've got a tendency to vote for the underdogs etc.), but also, I mean... Soda is a word used purely for soda. Pop is the sound you hear when you pierce a balloon with a pin. Not a drink, a sound. Duh.

edczxcvbnm
08-01-2001, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Dragoon
The only reason that Pop is winning is that the poll is biased.

*votes for <font color="#00ccff" size="3">Soda</font>*

Do you remember the last time we had this poll? Soda was kicking the shit outta pop in the polls. I don't know what happened but I don't think that people are going to say one thing just because it says it like that in the poll. Besides...I can't see what you voted for unless you say it.

*votes pop*

I say pop because it is 1 syllable instead of 2. Its just shorter. That is seriously why I say it more. I say soda every now and then but it just doesn't flow as well as pop does in my view.

Raistlin
08-01-2001, 11:13 PM
Pop does not flow. Pop is not smooth. Pop is hard and yucky sounding. Soda flows. Soda is smooth. Soda rulz j00!:p

<H1>SODA!!!!!</H1>

Marak
08-01-2001, 11:22 PM
OK, this is really pretty sad. An intelligent discussion (for instance "who's better, Thief or Black Belt" in the FF1-4 section) only gets about 45-70 replies. But something completely mindless like this (duh, soda or pop?) gets 100! Or more!
It really makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Agent Proto
08-01-2001, 11:30 PM
Right on! Soda is much better looking to, and Pop sounds too old fashioned. Soda is by the far, the most correct term to use. No where in the dictionary does it say "Pop" is a carbonated soft drink. I'll type up each defination.

<b>pop­</b> <i>v.</i> <small><b>popped, pop-ping</small></b> 1. To make, cause to make, burst, or cause to burst with a sudden sharp, explosive sound. 2. To go, come, or appear suddenly. 3. To buldge from the sockets. 4. To thrust or put quickly or suddenly. 5. To shoot. 6. <i>Baseball.</i> To hit a pop fly. <i>-n.</i> 1. A sudden sharp, explosive noise. 2. A gunshot. 3. A carbonated soft drink. <i>.... What the hell? O_o</i>

<b>So-da</b> <i>n.</i> 1.a. Any various forms of sodium carbonate. b. Chemically conbined sodium. 2.a. Soda water. b. A flavored carbonated soft drink. c. A drink made of carbonated water, flavoring, and otften ice cream. <i>Ha!!! There you have it!!! Soda it is!!!</i>

Raistlin
08-01-2001, 11:32 PM
Right on, Proto! Soda is the correct word, even the dictionary agress!

Sod pop. Soda's the one.

<H1>SODA!!!!</H1>

Agent Proto
08-01-2001, 11:41 PM
Right it is Raistlin! <big>Soda</big> is the correct term!!!

<font size=12><b>SODA!!!!!!</b></font>

Frihet
08-02-2001, 12:15 AM
There you have it, you illiterates!! Raist and Proto are right!

S O D A it is!!

Shadowdust
08-02-2001, 12:50 AM
Soda :D. Wow, 100 posts in two days. What a debate this is! Arrghh...Pop is winning though. :p

Dr Unne
08-02-2001, 01:08 AM
Pop will win the day. I have complete confidence.

I was going to make a big multi-colored POP display, but I realized it's not even necessary. POP will win because POP is on the side of goodness. And soda is on the side of evil. Goodness will triumph!!

Punishment
08-02-2001, 02:35 AM
I say pop!!!!!

let me pop your @$$ =D

Agent Proto
08-02-2001, 03:09 AM
Don't make me "Pop" you all for voting "Pop". That is just wrong. Pop has so much negativity in its defination besides being a carbonated soft drink. Soda is only a carbonated soft drink and nothing else. Soda is the correct term. It is the Un-"Pop"! If you don't like "Pop" music, vote Soda. <big>Soda 0wnz j00.</big>

Raistlin
08-02-2001, 05:12 AM
Winning does not matter, Unney. Soda is on the side of rightousness! Soda is, as Proto pointed out, solely based on a carbonated soft drink. Pop is so widely-used and has so many definitions it's only loosely tied to a soft drink. The only tie to a carbonates soft drink is the term "soda-pop"! Without soda there is no "pop", whereas the term "soda" is even in the dictionary!

<H1>SODA!!!!</H1>

Shoeberto
08-02-2001, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by Marak
OK, this is really pretty sad. An intelligent discussion (for instance "who's better, Thief or Black Belt" in the FF1-4 section) only gets about 45-70 replies. But something completely mindless like this (duh, soda or pop?) gets 100! Or more!
It really makes you wonder, doesn't it?
<font color="#009999">
*shakes his head*
This is an age-old challenge between EoFF. It has more of a personal importance to us than black belts or thiefs. You can go anywhere and talk about those, but it's hard to find a forum divided by pop and soda.

PS: <h1>POP</h1> rules.

Flamethrower
08-02-2001, 05:34 AM
I was just thinking, wouldn't the REAL term for carbonated beverages be....well, carbonated beverages? Pop and Soda are just nicknames, both which correct, but what says carbonated beverages better than carbonated beverages?

Dr Unne
08-02-2001, 04:21 PM
No, pop isn't a nickname. It's the real name. POP.

(Pop is a palindrome.)

Raistlin
08-02-2001, 07:55 PM
I'll repeat:
Pop is a backwoods, oldfashioned term that evens sounds...old. It was used in 1900, but shouldn't be used now! Pop is not the name, SODA is, even the dictionary agrees. I would thought that fact would sway you, Unne.:p

<H1>SODA!!!!</H1>

Pancaek
08-02-2001, 07:58 PM
Raistlin, I don't think Unne is that easily swayable. Especially in matters as important as the superiority of <b><font size=5 color="red">POP!</font></b> By the way, soda sounds really, really old, compared to new, modern pop! The reason it's called pop is because pop is a more POPular word!

Emerald Aeris
08-02-2001, 08:04 PM
The dictionary agrees with <i>both</i> sides, Raist. I thought even you'd be able to grasp that pop is the true name. I'd hardly say that sodium carbonate, and chemically combined sodium is refering soley to a carbonated beverage. :rolleyes2

Flamethrower
08-02-2001, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Skye-chan
By the way, soda sounds really, really old, compared to new, modern pop! The reason it's called pop is because pop is a more POPular word!

Pop was a word used in the the 50's. Its a word that my parents use. Pop is dead. The only Pop I ever hear about nowadays is that junk from the TNN commericals. "TNN, WE GOT POP!" Uhg.

Cactuar2000
08-02-2001, 11:24 PM
Pop, all the way.. yeah baby.

Agent Proto
08-03-2001, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Agent Proto

<b>Pop­</b> .... A carbonated soft drink.
_______
<b>So-da</b> ...... A flavored carbonated soft drink.

Which would you prefer? Unflavored carbonated soft drink or a flavored carbonated soft drink? If you answered the second one, then you are drinking a <b>SODA</b>.

Pancaek
08-03-2001, 12:41 AM
I like mineral water. It's unflavored, carbonated, and it doesn't have alcohol, therefore making it a soft drink as opposed to a hard drink. Theoretically, I like <b><font size=5 color="red">POP!</font></b>

Raistlin
08-03-2001, 12:52 AM
Pop is not modern. It was used decades, generations ago. Pop is dead; soda is in. I have NEVER seen a commercial use "pop" though all SODA commercials use "soda". SODA is THE correct term, recognized even by the dictionary.

<H1>SODA!!!!!</H1>

Dr Unne
08-03-2001, 01:51 AM
*points at the poll*

Pop is winning, Raist.

*does victory dance*

Agent Proto
08-03-2001, 02:11 AM
Bah! It ain't over till the fat lady sings! Soda is only down by ten votes.

RSL
08-03-2001, 05:08 AM
<b>Attention!!! </b>

I was watching Winnie the Pooh today. In this episode, Christopher Robin had to take care of a neighbor's dog. They quickly discover that the dog responds to a honking horn that Christopher Robin has around the house. Later, when the dog is lost (and the horn is lost with him), Tigger discovers that he can reproduce the sound of the horn pretty well.

Of course, the other characters are pretty impressed with Tigger. He then says "I can do a can of <b>pop</b> too!" and procedes to make the sound of someone gulping down a can of <b>pop</b>.

POP! Now, can Tigger be wrong? I doubt it. In fact, I consult Tigger on many things, and my life has been better because of it.

In conclusion, Tigger said pop, and that must make it true. One of the most wonderful things about Tiggers is that they're never wrong.

Zell's Fists of Fury
08-03-2001, 08:01 AM
WHERE IS MY BUTTON?!
*revolts*

OrdinaryWell
08-03-2001, 01:39 PM
Dr. Unne's Southern roots are showing.

Brian Carper: Hi, pa! Can I have a soda?

Mr. Carper: Soder? SODER! Boy, when you under my roof, you ought ta say pop. POP! I tell you what...

Brian Carper: Aww, pa. OK. I just go play Final Fantasy.

Mr. Carper: Na, comere a minute, take out your banjo boy.

Brian Carper: dee dee dee doo dee doo dee doo dee...

Mr. Carper: doo dee dee doo dee doo dee doo dee...

Burmecian Dragoon
08-03-2001, 04:07 PM
You know, here I was, minding my own buisness over in FF I-IV, and I finally click on the "It's POP, I tell ya! POP!" link on Skye-chan's little sig, and

WHOA.

Apparently, people feel much more strongly about whether to call a drink pop or soda than they ever did about Sadaam Hussein. So after reading all the replies and checking out the standing poles, I had to eventually put down my vote...

<drum roll>

Pop.

Hell, that's the right name for it! It's POP, not soda! Look at all the evidence:

1. Pop is easier to say.
2. Pop is a palindrome.
3. Pop is something that Skye-chan drinks while in a bunny suit. (???)
4. And the most damning piece of evidence:

Both Dr Unne and Tigger say it's pop.

Now, granted, I will agree that there is a chance - a SLIM chance - that Tigger could be wrong. And there might - MIGHT - be an even slighter chance that Dr Unne is wrong, although frankly I doubt that a great deal. But both??? I don't think so.

The polls agree. It's POP!

Dr Unne
08-03-2001, 04:13 PM
Well, if Tigger says it's pop, this debate is pretty much over.

chupa
08-03-2001, 04:27 PM
ugh I'm just tooo lazy to say anything over 1 syllable long.

Prometheus
08-03-2001, 05:14 PM
Frankly, I don't use soda or pop. Rather, I use the name of the beverage I am referring to (i.e. Coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew). Soda and pop are both terms that are too general to be used with ease.

Ex.
"I'd like a pop, please."
"Well, what kind would you like?"

"I'd like a soda, please."
"Well, what kind would you like?"

See? You get a response that further requires you to answer with the specific brand of carbonated beverage.

But, because none of the choices are specific on the poll...

I must vote...

POP!!

Nicolas
08-03-2001, 05:24 PM
[boring theory] It is POP . You hear something that sounds like *pop* when you open the can of pop. You never hear *soda*.

*laughs* Soda...pfft.

Flamethrower
08-03-2001, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Dr Unne
Well, if Tigger says it's pop, this debate is pretty much over.

I agree, because if Tigger calls it pop, then thats more the reason to call it soda. :tongue:

RSL
08-03-2001, 10:14 PM
I can't belive you're dissing Tigger like this. I'm outraged.

Raistlin
08-03-2001, 10:33 PM
If pop wins that's just another reason not to ask anything of EoFFers.:p

The word "pop" does NOT mean a carbonated soft drink. Look it up. Guess what does mean that? SODA.:p
Pop just sounds bad, like nothing you'd want to drink. SODA <i>sounds</i> like a carbonated soft drink. Pop's out-dated, soda is in!

<H1>SODA!!!!</H1>

Leknaat V
08-03-2001, 10:37 PM
Tigger truly deserves respect.

RSL
08-03-2001, 10:39 PM
By what logic does SODA <i>sound</i> like a carbonated soft drink? You'll need to support these theories with proof. Just saying it's so doesn't make it so (unless Tigger says it is so, which he has already done, about pop no less.)

Flamethrower
08-03-2001, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by RSL
I can't belive you're dissing Tigger like this. I'm outraged.

No, im not dissing Tigger, but if they call a bear "pooh", then why listen to them if they call a carbonated beverage pop?

RSL
08-04-2001, 02:19 AM
Because his name is Pooh. If your name is John, shouldn't I call you John?

Raistlin
08-04-2001, 03:04 AM
Soda sounds like a carbonated soft drink just because. The original name was soda-pop, and smart people dissed the last, stupid sounding part. "Pop" doesn't sound like a carbonated soft-drink(SODA!) because....it's "pop"! That one, ahdr sounding syllable cannot possibley be the name of all the soft drinks. It's just....wrong. The word "pop" does not mean carbonated soft drink. Soda does. Look it up.:p

<H1>SODA!!!</H1>

Agent Proto
08-04-2001, 03:09 AM
Agreed. ;) All you Pop-lovers are missing out on this Soda deal. Go ahead and love your pops. We wouldn't care any less. It's still soda and it will always be soda! Those who call it pop have been misguided.

<h1>SODA!!!!</hi>

Dr Unne
08-04-2001, 04:14 AM
I think you're beginning to flounder, Raist. That last post made no sense.

m4tt
08-04-2001, 08:03 AM
<font color="0099FF" face="Verdana" size="1">Oh, I finally found this.. Soda all the way my friends.

EDIT: And I cannot believe you are dissing TIGGER!

Tigger owns all of you!

http://members.home.net/moyda1/images/tigger.jpg

Zell's Fists of Fury
08-04-2001, 08:21 AM
Last time I checked, my can of carbonated, non-alcoholic beverage loaded with sugars and other good stuff to rot the teeth out of little kids' heads went "Burn them! Burn them all!" when I opened it.
*goes and checks again and realizes it goes fsssssssssst... cerrrrrck-pop-fizzzzzzzzzz*
Okay, I'll vote pop. Only because Im not going to get my button. But Am still support my origional answer very much. *votes pop*
By the way. I worship tigger.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-04-2001, 08:21 AM
I still have that same doll somewhere. *makes a note to go on various adventures of the imagination with Tigger*

Still, it's soda.

RSL
08-04-2001, 03:17 PM
Really. Who goes into a store and says "I would like a soda please?" I think if I did that, they would look at me like I was a mental patient.

Raistlin
08-05-2001, 03:30 AM
I never say that. I say "I would like a (Coke, Sprite, whatever)". You gotta be specific when asking for it.

Unne: *reads post over* Yeah, I can see why. I need to fix a typo and change some sentences...It makes sense if you said it like I do.:p
But, meh.

Soda sounds cooler. Pop sounds old. "Pop", meaning a carbonated soft drink, is not a word. Soda is.
'Nuff said.

<H1>SODA!!!</H1>

Pancaek
08-05-2001, 03:32 AM
Pop is a word. Even look in that dictionary you soda-lovers love so much.

Agent Proto
08-05-2001, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Agent Proto
<b>pop­</b> <i>v.</i> <small><b>popped, pop-ping</small></b> 1. To make, cause to make, burst, or cause to burst with a sudden sharp, explosive sound. 2. To go, come, or appear suddenly. 3. To buldge from the sockets. 4. To thrust or put quickly or suddenly. 5. To shoot. 6. <i>Baseball.</i> To hit a pop fly. <i>-n.</i> 1. A sudden sharp, explosive noise. 2. A gunshot.</i>

Nope.... I don't see it as a carbonated soft drink.

Raistlin
08-05-2001, 03:43 AM
I never said that pop wasn't a word. However, I did say that pop does NOT mean a carbonated soft drink.

Moorb Sdrawkcab
08-05-2001, 04:20 AM
Realisticly (as if we care), I'm pretty sure 'pop' and 'soda' is a difference of regional dialect. In fact, I'm under the impression that in some places, if you just say pop they assume you mean coke specificly. I say soda, mostly because that's what everyone I know calls it. Of course, if I was visiting someone like an illustrious doctor of languages I would call it whatever the heck he told me to.

Red Wizard
08-09-2001, 01:23 AM
Dialect schmialect. It's still soda. Not that pop thing. Heck. I'm from MI, and I live in VA. So I say the brand name most of the time, but otherwise I say soda. I don't go an buy a 2-liter of pop! I buy a 2-liter of soda.

BrainDawg
08-10-2001, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by moorb_sdrawkcab
Realisticly (as if we care), I'm pretty sure 'pop' and 'soda' is a difference of regional dialect. In fact, I'm under the impression that in some places, if you just say pop they assume you mean coke specificly.

Well, you're right about the regional dialectal part. I believe that up north it's primarily pop (although it's pronounced PAAAAAAAP,) and somewhere else (I'm not sure where) it's soda. Down here in the South (Tennessee, specifically), it's all usually Coke. For example, if you were organizing something, you'd say, "Hey, Jim, do we have any Cokes?" and Jim would assume you meant soft drinks in general. However, for a specific brand, you say Sprite or Dr. Pepper. Lemon Lime soft drinks (including 7-UP) are all Sprite, by the way. But, down here in Redneck Country, you say COKE for soft drinks in general. I voted for soda just because I don't like the way you northern (especially Chicago area) people say paaaaap.

P.S. - Pepsi is Coke, too.

Awrini
08-10-2001, 05:17 PM
hey up here in PA some of us just say Soda Pop why make a fuss over all this???*doesn't vote*

Pancaek
08-10-2001, 05:18 PM
Because it's <b>pop</b>, and because we're bored.

Agent Proto
08-10-2001, 05:21 PM
It's <b>Soda</b> And you know it...

<i>*Scratches Skye-chan off the list for the next Screen Name World Cup*</i>

Sephex
08-10-2001, 05:21 PM
I call it pop automaticly so I voted pop.

IGN64skanker
08-10-2001, 05:56 PM
Just thought I'd say that all you people with your "pop" nonsense make me sick. How can you do something as terrible as calling soda "pop"?

Cactuar2000
08-10-2001, 06:23 PM
It's pop you heathens! Soda is Washing powder! :P

GeneralLeoLives
08-11-2001, 04:51 AM
I find the beverage disgusting...but if you gotta call it something call it POP! Soda, that is just lame. At least call it SoDie. That is a little bit of fun.

Britt
08-11-2001, 05:15 AM
Alright. Typically, I'm indifferent. But... When we are asking for a carbonated, canned beverage in this region, we ask for Pop. Anyone who asks for "soda" gets really weird looks. In addition, my region is within the Central Time Zone, which <b>everyone</b> knows is God's Chosen Timezone. Chickencha and Himself can attest to this. Seeing as how Central Time is THE correct time, then Pop must be THE correct word.

Besides- Tigger says so, too. Tigger is God. Thus, I conclude, the word is:

<font size="+3" color="7eb7ed">POP!</font>

(BrittyBlue™ is Forever.)

Tornado8
08-11-2001, 06:42 AM
How 'bout we call a truce and call it SODAPOP

*hides*