PDA

View Full Version : Do Summons Deserve Their Own Game?

BG-57
07-31-2005, 03:17 AM
I can understand that popular recurring FF characters like chocobos get their own spin-off games, but what about the FF Summons?

Should there be a game with them as the main characters?

Which Summons would you want to see?

What about game mechanics?

I would think the elemental trio of Shiva, Ifrit and Ramuh would be integral, as would be Bahamut.

I thought an interesting way for them to gain abilities is to pick them up gradually from other summons in the active party. For example, Shiva could learn fire magic from Ifrit and he could learn ice magic from her.

Christmas
07-31-2005, 03:30 AM
There is a game called Bahamut Lagoon.

rubah
07-31-2005, 06:23 AM
Forget game--

Shiva has her [his] own religion.

As do most of the others.

Captain Maxx Power
07-31-2005, 12:48 PM
I say make a Summon based tactical game a la FFT. Except summons would be normal humans who would get stomped on by your enemy in one turn.

BG-57
07-31-2005, 06:13 PM
There is a game called Bahamut Lagoon.

D'oh! :eek:

I forgot about that one. Any Summons in it besides Bahamut?

I'm curious how a female ice Summon was named after a male god of fire. :confused:

KoShiatar
07-31-2005, 08:51 PM
I think the game was all about dragons. It never made it to Western shores, but there is a translation patch floating around. Ask Kishi, he knows it well.

Rengori
08-01-2005, 04:57 AM
Is Vincent a summon? Is Yuna a summon? Is Terra the Main character of FFVI? No to all of those questions.

abrojtm
08-01-2005, 05:20 AM
The dragons are by no means the main characters of Bahamut Lagoon. the plot revolves around a rebel troupe led by (R)/Byuu combating an Empire that has taken over many lagoons (islands in the sky) (well that's the plot for a while, at least). The heroine, Yoyo is a female Dragoner that has the ability to summon the power of the Holy Dragons. Some of the Holy Dragons include Jormangund, Alexander, Bahamut, Leviathan, Garuda, and some other recognizable names, but this game by no means revolves around summons. There are also dragons that fight by your side during battle that can change form. Some forms are recognizable names (Odin, Raiden, Phoenix, etc.)

Anyway, it would be hard to form a good plot using only monsters (which most summons essentially are, after all they were called Phantom Beasts in FFVI). Also, if we were using a plot with the same summons from the FF series, it would be hard to tie them in. Also, how would summons like Alexander move around?

Sefie1999AD
08-01-2005, 11:13 AM
Considering Tidus was practically an aeon and there have been non-human characters as your party members, even as the main character, I see no reason why there couldn't be Genjû/Esper/Summon/GF/Eidolon/Aeon beings as your main characters.

BG-57
08-01-2005, 02:53 PM
Both FFIV and FFVI have villages populated almost entirely by Summons. Theoretically, it wouldn't be difficult to set a story from their perspective. And I'm curious about their stories and background.

I would imagine moving in Alexander could be visualized the way the characters in FFVI move around in Magitek Armor.

Rengori
08-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Both FFIV and FFVI have villages populated almost entirely by Summons.
Correction: FFIV has a village entirely populated by monsters.

-N-
08-01-2005, 11:31 PM
I'm curious how a female ice Summon was named after a male god of fire. :confused:If you're referring to Shiva (unsure because Shiva is not a god of fire), I have no freaking clue. Shiva is (in Hindu religion) the incarnation of the One God that oversees the death and destruction of all living things.

BG-57
08-02-2005, 06:02 AM
Maybe the representations of Shiva dancing in what looks like a hoop of fire and the fact that he's the destroyer (and fire destroys) led me to believe he was associated with fire. Still doesn't explain the Summon Shiva. :greenie:

It's been a while since I've played FFIV, but doesn't Rydia and the gang travel to a village populated by creatures that she eventually aquires the ability to summon their king and queen after defeating them in battle?

As for the 'almost' part, I would consider both Madonna in FFVI and Rydia in FFIV as part of these nonhuman societies even though both are humans.

Fireblade13
08-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Show me how anima would move and I will give you the greatest gift of all.

BG-57
08-24-2005, 05:14 AM
How about by levitation?

Dreddz
08-24-2005, 10:10 AM
I dont think they should have a game............

Chris
08-24-2005, 03:15 PM
In real life, Shiva is actually not a she but a he.

Cruise Control
08-24-2005, 03:39 PM
They need one, Bahamut Lagoon sucked and does not count.

ThroneofDravaris
08-24-2005, 03:42 PM
Nope, it would be crap

Primus Inter Pares
08-24-2005, 04:10 PM
Nope, it would be crap

eestlinc
08-24-2005, 05:07 PM
Esper Kart!

Fireblade13
08-24-2005, 05:18 PM
How bout 1 summoner and every summon known to man