PDA

View Full Version : PC help. Restortion...

crashNUMBERS
08-02-2005, 07:04 AM
My bro wants to restort the PC since it has too many files and is running slow. (Lazy to just take out the files one by one) So what Im saying is that there are some files that are mine like my ROM's, Music, and Playonline Icon. I wanna know if it's possible to save these files to a disket so when he restorts it all I have to do is load it up back to the PC...

rubah
08-02-2005, 08:06 AM
if by diskette you mean floppy, yes you could do this. There are programs that can crop files to the ridiculously small sizes necessary to achieve this.

You'll need about 1000 floppies for every gigabyte you plan on backing up.

If you can burn to cd, expect to divide that number by about 1.5

If you can use usb drives, well it'll take more but you won't have to worry about wasting a cd.

I do hope by 'restort' you mean 'reinstall the operating system on'

Peegee
08-02-2005, 02:56 PM
First of all what you're suggesting is inefficient. Just download EasyCleaner (http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm) and delete misc extra files, other stuff. It's great. Run defrag, and clear out your media files either by burning it on cds/dvds or put them in another HDD.

Formatting/reinstalling is silly. Only when you want to replace files that are missing, changing O/S, etc, but not 'because the comp is slow'.

Flying Mullet
08-02-2005, 02:58 PM
Run defrag, and clear out your media files either by burning it on cds/dvds or put them in another HDD.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Also try running Disk Cleanup as it will clean up a lot of the temporary files on your machine that you don't need anymore.

Meat Puppet
08-02-2005, 03:00 PM
just stop using computers altogether :cool:

Flying Mullet
08-02-2005, 03:02 PM
I had to do that when my Meat Puppet crashed. :cry:

crashNUMBERS
08-02-2005, 03:56 PM
So your saying I can burn the files on CD's??f possible how??

rubah
08-02-2005, 10:25 PM
A cd burner perhaps? xDD and some blank cd-rs.

However, I'm sure you'll do well to listen to PG and mr. mullet xD

Yamaneko
08-02-2005, 10:43 PM
For Windows there's nothing better than formatting the Windows drive. All the cleanup tools in the world won't make it run as efficient as when the first time you installed it. I usually format every five to seven months.

Instead of wasting removable media to do your backups, the best idea is to partition your drive and put all your backups on the partition. That way when you format, Windows won't touch/delete those files.

XxSephirothxX
08-02-2005, 10:44 PM
Unless your computer is completely inundated with viruses, trojans, worms, or massive amounts of spyware, you shouldn't need to wipe it. Just run registry mechanic, adaware and or spybot, etc. If you need to burn files to discs, just use Nero or whatever came with your computer. Also, run Norton Antivirus or whatever you have to make sure you don't have any viruses lying dormant.

crashNUMBERS
08-02-2005, 11:31 PM
Its all fine. I PMed FM and he helped me...

Flying Mullet
08-03-2005, 01:49 PM
FM for teh win! :thumb:

crashNUMBERS
08-03-2005, 03:53 PM
*Sign*

crono_logical
08-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Sounds sorted :p

*close*