PDA

View Full Version : Frickin' Strategy Guide for FFIX!!!!

tan
08-02-2005, 09:26 AM
AAAAAARRRRRGHHHH!!!! *calms down* I'm stupid... I bought the guide. I was expecting something really really good (like all of the FF strategy guides) but instead I got this waste-of-paper-piece'o'crap with "GO TO PLAYONLINE.COM FOR MORE!" :mad2: I have never been to playonline.com, and when I bought the guide I was like, "Pff... I'm sure I don't have to go on the internet that much... They'll explain a lot right?" WRONG! Playonline.com now has no trace of any other FF's on the website, so all that "Enter the code for more tips!" crap written all over the books is obsolete. If I wanted to go on the internet to get hints and tips, I WOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT THE GUIDE!!! Phew... sorry I ranted... now that that's all over with... the moral of the story: DON'T BUY THIS GUIDE!!! (and never trust those nerdy fanboys who said that this guide was great)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Welcome to 2000.

And in this day and age, if you have Internet access, there's no reason to get a strategy guide except for the aesthetic appeal or a sense of novelty.

SeeDRankLou
08-02-2005, 10:16 AM
They should really put something on the site that says all that stuff is now on the Square-Enix page. But yeah, the FFIX strategy guide sucks, luckily they've only done that a handful of times.

Karl
08-03-2005, 12:09 AM
thx for the info i was gonna buy the guide for convenience and novelty...

guess thats not happenin

assemblage
08-03-2005, 01:56 AM
it works for basics, like telling you where to go, who to fight, etc etc etc but you're right, the playonline stuff did get really sickening after the first few pages. the section labeled "Sidequests, Mini-Games, and Secrets" DOESN'T TELL YOU CRAP. it's like, oh, there's a sidequest at the Eidolon Wall, SEE PLAYONLINE FOR THE SCOOP!!! ugh, i wanted to slap it. which reminds me, if anyone did that Eidolon Wall sidequest and got Garnet's name, please tell me how to do that.......i'm going insane

Necronopticous
08-03-2005, 02:08 AM
Yeah, this is definately the worst of the official Final Fantasy guides, hands down. The idea of making you go online and type in codes to access information was the lamest and stupidest idea ever and I'm quite sure they did it to save on printing costs.

The other Final Fantasy official guides aren't amazing either but they're all 100,000 times better than the FFIX one. Sometimes I think this was Bradygames idea of a joke.

Polyonymous
08-03-2005, 05:23 AM
The lack of information in the FFIX guide inspired me to write a guide of my own. I thought I could do a much better job then they did, here is a little of it if you want to read it. I've been working on it for a few years on and off. I've never actually finished a walkthrough though.

Disk 1

------------------------------
Theater ship
Items: 47Gil, Potion

After the FMV you find yourself in a dark room. In the back of the room you will find a closet with 47Gil and a potion on the left and right sides. After obtaining these items, light the candle in the middle of the room.

==================
Boss: Masked Man
Steal: Potion, Wrist, MageMasher
HP: ???

This battle is really easy so you should spend your time stealing his items before killing him, the MageMasher will be very useful this early in the game.
==================

After the battle, you will go into the next room where your friends tell you their plans. During this time you will be asked a question, if you select the first answer ?65-70? times in a row, someone will come in and chew you out.

Alexandria
Items: 285Gil (accumulated), Potion x6, Eye Drops, Ether, Remedy, Tent, Phoenix Pinion
Cards: Goblin x2, Fang x2, Skeleton, Flan, Lizard Man, Zombie, Bomb, Sahagin

Alexandria/Main Street-
You now play as a little kid with a pointy hat. Search directly to your left to find a potion. Now move downward to the previous area and search around the perimeter for the Zombie, Lizard Man, and Sahagin cards. Also search behind the statue for a potion.

Return to the area you started from and enter the house to the right. Search by the bed and to the right of the ladder for some Gil and potion, move up the ladder and look around for the Fang card. Leave the house and continue forward searching along the left of the street for another potion until you reach the next screen.

Explore the two patches of grass at the base of the screen to find a Goblin card and some Gil, now enter the door to the pub. Search around the tables to the left to find the Flan card and some Gil, and then search to the right side of the pub to find a potion. Leave and head left to the next screen. Enter the item shop to the right to find some Gil. Exit the shop and continue forward.

Alexandria/Square-
Move straight forward to the ticket booth and peek inside. Here you will select show ticket to give the ticket master your ticket. He then tells you it’s fake and gives you the Goblin, Fang, and Skeleton cards for compensation.

Move to the right and head up the stairs closest to the bottom of the screen. Search along the right side of the shop to find the ether. Enter the adjacent shop by moving through the doorway to the northeast. Follow the counter to the right to find a remedy. Exit the shop and run a little to the north, you will then see a wheelbarrow to the left, just before the bridge. Examine the wheelbarrow to find the phoenix pinion.

++++++++++++++++++
MINI-GAME
JUMP ROPE

To the left of the ticket booth you will see some girls playing jump rope. You can go play with them, and if you’re good enough you can even win some cool prizes.

20 jumps = 10 Gil
50 jumps = Cactuar Card
100 jumps = Genji Card
200 jumps = Alexandria Card
300 jumps = Tiger Racket Card
1000 jumps = Key Item, “King of Jump Ropes”
++++++++++++++++++

G SpOtZ
08-03-2005, 09:04 AM
O_O that's 47385723 times better than the official guide XD

btw does the king of ropes item do anything? or just proof that u spent ur time in ffix playing jump rope with those little girls

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-03-2005, 03:52 PM
AAAAAARRRRRGHHHH!!!! *calms down* I'm stupid... I bought the guide. I was expecting something really really good (like all of the FF strategy guides) but instead I got this waste-of-paper-piece'o'crap with "GO TO PLAYONLINE.COM FOR MORE!" :mad2: I have never been to playonline.com, and when I bought the guide I was like, "Pff... I'm sure I don't have to go on the internet that much... They'll explain a lot right?" WRONG! Playonline.com now has no trace of any other FF's on the website, so all that "Enter the code for more tips!" crap written all over the books is obsolete. If I wanted to go on the internet to get hints and tips, I WOULDN'T HAVE BOUGHT THE GUIDE!!! Phew... sorry I ranted... now that that's all over with... the moral of the story: DON'T BUY THIS GUIDE!!! (and never trust those nerdy fanboys who said that this guide was great)It is still there you just have to look a little, but to save you the trouble: http://www.square-enix-europe.com/ff9/
Have fun.

UWAOOOOU
08-03-2005, 04:18 PM
You should buy the pggyback/authorised collection FFIX official stratedgey guide. Very popular in Europe and very selective about the games that they do guides for.

The occasionally hand you out a code to look up online but its not often they will.
Theres pictures attatched around the end of this thread.

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-03-2005, 04:24 PM
It is still there you just have to look a little, but to save you the trouble: http://www.square-enix-europe.com/ff9/
Have fun.Oh, this might just be for the European guide then. Ah well, sucks to be you guys :)

SoftReset
08-03-2005, 07:43 PM
Screw buying guides, go to GameFAQs or somewhere. When people write guides because they love the game you'll get far more info then from guides written by people who are paid to write them with deadlines in place.

Sunny Rabbiera
08-16-2005, 06:05 AM
I am thinking of setting up a new web guide to this game, and why not...

the american guide sucks

G SpOtZ
08-16-2005, 01:14 PM
one time, i think i spilt water or something on it. it got really really sticky when it tried and i was too late and a bunch of pages got stuck together. i was panicking, and trying to gently separate the pages without ripping any important info. i successfully and cleanly separated the pages, but... i found out that there WAS no inmportant info. all that work was for nothing. i didn't even need it. stupid book. i torched it at a bonfire. just kidding it still lies in some deep dark corner of my house. and it can stay there.

eestlinc
08-16-2005, 03:56 PM
The BradyGames guides were notoriously incomplete, and you can just imagien with all the side quests and secrets in ff9 how crappy a real strategy guide would have been anway.

btw does the king of ropes item do anything? or just proof that u spent ur time in ffix playing jump rope with those little girls
It does nothing except prove you have nothing better to do. :D

Master Quan
08-16-2005, 04:08 PM
Unsuprisingly the Piggyback version has this "Playonline" crap printed all over it, which is suprising coming from Piggyback.

The playonline thing was something they did with FF9 to test the water (I assume) as they used playonline again with FFXI.

G SpOtZ
08-16-2005, 04:12 PM
Unsuprisingly the Piggyback version has this "Playonline" crap printed all over it, which is suprising coming from Piggyback.

The playonline thing was something they did with FF9 to test the water (I assume) as they used playonline again with FFXI.
... unsurprisingly...surprisingly... i'm confused. you kinda contradicted urself XD i think i know what you mean tho lol

Destai
08-16-2005, 04:19 PM

The playonline thing was something they did with FF9 to test the water (I assume) as they used playonline again with FFXI.The guide hardly had it full over with it. It covered 98% of the game and left outtrivial items. The first time the playonline thing showed up in the game I think was with what Queen Bran rewards Steiner for getting 100/100 of the audience impressed. (A moon stone I think). Its really just the trivial item all round.

Master Quan
08-16-2005, 04:31 PM

... unsurprisingly...surprisingly... i'm confused. you kinda contradicted urself XD i think i know what you mean tho lol

Whoops, I guess I kind of screwed up back there, the "unsuprisingly" is meant to be "suprisingly".

But I wouldn't have it any other way. Online strategy guides (for instance, the one at EoFF) are the kind that I hate with a passion, because in most cases (including EoFF) there are NO PICTURES. Pictures which would make everything SOOO much easier.

Also...

The playonline thing was something they did with FF9 to test the water (I assume) as they used playonline again with FFXI.The guide hardly had it full over with it. It covered 98% of the game and left outtrivial items. The first time the playonline thing showed up in the game I think was with what Queen Bran rewards Steiner for getting 100/100 of the audience impressed. (A moon stone I think). Its really just the trivial item all round.

That's besides the point though. Whether or not THEY think it's trivial is not the issue, they should include it anyway.

The fact that they have a webpage devoted to it means that they DON'T think it's trivial.