PDA

View Full Version : Games that let you down

Xander
08-02-2005, 11:58 AM
Were there ever any games that you were either really looking forward to, or just really thought you would like, but then when you actually played them, they didn't live up to your expectations, or you just didn't like them as much as you thought you would?

For me, it would be Animal Crossing. I was waiting months to get this, and really looking forward to it. I thought it would be a lot of fun. However I got bored of it in a few days and I really didn't think there was much to do in it. Picking up stuff, selling some bugs or fish for money. And the only thing you could do with money was buy stuff for your house. That seemed like the ONLY point of the game.

And I know it's supposed to be good because it has no real point, but, I think it just went too far with giving you not enough to do. Plus, while the animals were kinda fun to talk to at first, after a while different animals seemed to be repeating the same thing to me, even though they are supposed to have "unique personalities". One review I read even said that each animal had as much personality as a character in Wind Waker. Ha, I disagree.

Maybe other people can get more fun out of Animal Crossing, but personally I had fun with it for a very short time, and was kinda disappointed.

You?

Markus. D
08-02-2005, 12:02 PM
had to be diablo... kinda thought it would have better gameplay and graphics... my friend has been obcessing about it for forever... and he dont even like video games.

Alive-Cat
08-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Resident Evil-Code Veronica X. I was waiting for that game so long, because it was the first resident evil game released on ps2, but it sucked. The movements were totally un realistic, the graphics wasn't as good as other ps2 games at the time. A total let down.

Craig
08-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Fable and Halo 2.

Even now I see Fable as a demo rather than an actual game. The game should've been much longer, with less emphasis on the storyline and more emphasis on missions, and making your name as a hero. The game should've had 100s of missions to do, it should of had way more equipment, towns, enemys and bosses. The dark and light should've taken longer to achieve.

Basically it should've been ALOT bigger.

Halo 2 just wasn't long enough, and I preferred the gameplay of Halo.

Pure Strife
08-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Even now I see Fable as a demo rather than an actual game. The game should've been much longer, with less emphasis on the storyline and more emphasis on missions, and making your name as a hero. The game should've had 100s of missions to do, it should of had way more equipment, towns enemys of bosses. The dark and light should've taken longer to achieve.

I completed Fable on my cousins X-Box with a total of 9 hours and 33 minutes. I was sorely dissapointed because it had a great premise and was fun to play. I agree totally with that, because if it'd had a bunch more missions, equipment, enemies, bosses and more depth to the dark/light thing it would've been incredible. Not having to use 20 million potions per fight would have been nice too.

Erdrick Holmes
08-02-2005, 01:14 PM
Guilty Gear Isuka. I was expecting that game to be hella fun sdence it was a Guilty Gear game with 4 players. Boy did that suck. So many control flaws. If you play a game as fast as Guilty Gear you can't have controlls like this, if you want to turn around in this game you got to stop moving and press R2. Stupidest idea ever, why didn't they make it so you face whatever opponent is closest to you or something?

Jebus
08-02-2005, 01:17 PM
Star Wars Galaxies.

I admit it. I love MMORPGs. And I was really excited about this one. It combined two things I loved. Online RPGs and Star Wars. Big dissapointment. I still played it for awhile, cause it wasn't THAT bad, but not nearly as good as the hype or how I expected. Of course I was also really stubborn, and since I payed money for it, I was going to play it.

Finally quit after I realized that the staff for the game were complete assholes and were banning people for no reason.

Rye
08-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles. It's cute for like, 5 minutes.

And yeah, Animal Crossing. I wish you were given more missions in it.

Rusty
08-02-2005, 01:39 PM
Tomb Raider - Angel of Darkness. I love the whole Tomb Raider series and loved this game up until the annoyance of the controls got the better of me. The controls for this game are horrible and make it extremely hard to play. I also don't like the fact they made analog the control rather than an option. Because all the other previous Tomb Raiders allowed you to use the directional buttons - in the first ones there was no analog, and in the last two you had the option to use the analog.

So when the latest Tomb Raider and the first one released for PS2 came out it was a huge disappointment that analog was it.

I suppose I could get used to playing Angel of Darkness in analog, but I'm so used to playing Tomb Raider using the directional buttons.

Dreddz
08-02-2005, 04:08 PM
GG Isuka as Joel said
Blood Omen 2 ( still good, but I thought it would be much better )
Deus Ex 2 ( Just didnt have the feel of the original )
And Tekken Tag Tornement

Agent Proto
08-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Animal Crossing is not meant to be fun fun... I guess. There's really no point in the game, unless you decide to be a collector, where you try to collect stuff for your house, when you make it big.

Though, I'm disappointed by it as well. It's not a game for you if you just intend to sit down to play for awhile.

Raistlin
08-02-2005, 04:22 PM
Suikoden IV. Still a good game, but...

Erdrick Holmes
08-02-2005, 04:25 PM
Also, King of Fighters 2002. Probably the worst of the KOFs, the only redeemable quality was it had Billy Kane.

Zeldy
08-02-2005, 04:52 PM
Zelda Wind Waker

The whole storyline i dont like, i never understood all the wind changes you had to make, and the cell-shading did nothing for me,

SomethingBig
08-02-2005, 05:01 PM
Final Fantasy X. I really didn't like it at first, but once Square released more info, I started to really like what I heard. I reserved it a couple months in advance and it became harder to wait for it as the days went by. We finally got it a week or two before Christmas and I went insane. Christmas came and I played it. Niiice. 3 weeks later: why did I buy this game?

UWAOOOOU
08-02-2005, 05:08 PM
I didnt like MGS3's camouflague gameplay much. MGS2's gameplay was much better for me. Still a brilliant game though.
I was expecting a brilliant climax of storyline and a helluva tie in with the .hack//SIGN anime in .hack//quarantine (the fourth and final game). The ending was really simple and plain. Dissapointing.

Aphelion
08-02-2005, 05:20 PM
The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age. I really like TLOTR, so when EA said "we're going to make a game that surpasses Final Fantasy in every single aspect" or something like that, I thought "I truly hope so, because The Lord of The Rings deserve a better place in the RPG world". After playing it and seeing the total piece of junk it is, I started to wish for EA's total annihilation not only because they totally ruined one of the most interesting stories mankind has come with, but they also said their game would be superior to the greatest games of all time (the FF saga).

UWAOOOOU
08-02-2005, 05:56 PM
FFXI let me down a little. I still like it and play it. The .hack// series just hyped it up for me.

Dreddz
08-02-2005, 06:38 PM
.hack was a let down
I never actually wanted the game, but my friend had like Reserved it and I played it for a bit
Quite funny for a while, but a let down

Buccura
08-02-2005, 06:39 PM
Fable: Even though I didn't have high expectations after hearing how dissapointing it was. I still love it for what it is rather than what it isn't, but even then its impossible to shake of the feeling of not getting what was promised at all.

Final Fantasy X-2: I liked the idea of an all girl Final Fantasy, but when I heard the horrible music, the cheesy dialog, the lame story, the over-done sex appeal and girlyness, and numerous other things, I wanted to shoot whoever headed this pitiful excuse for a Final Fantasy game.

Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike: I had been a fan of the Rogue Squadron series since the first one on the N64 and Rogue Leader blew me away. So obviously I was anxiously awaiting Rebel Strike. When I got it, the aerial missions were awesome as always. Nothing like blasting a whole wing of TIE Fighters in your good 'ol trusty X-Wing. Then I got on foot.................................

Midway Arcade Treasures 2: Great collection, but way to many Fighting games. And wheres Mortal Kombat 1?? It had 2 and 3 so it only makes sense....

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind: As much as I dearly love this game for how open ended it is... I wish the combat was so much better. All it ended up being was a tapping on the R trigger fest basically and hoping you hit.

Enter the Matrix: Dear god that game just screams "rushed".

Halo 2: Only what, 1, 2 parts on Earth?? Come on...

.Hack:: Interesting Preamis but, turned out to be in practice just anouther action RPG.

Thats all I can think of right now.

Necronopticous
08-02-2005, 06:59 PM
These are kind of against the idea of the thread, but I wanted to post them anyway.

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - Probably the first game I can remember being so excited for I felt as if I'd explode. I had a subscription to Nintendo Power and I would read every single article about it. I didn't have a Super Nintendo at the time because we just didn't have the money for one, but I remember looking at the screenshots and thinking, "These are the most revolutionary graphics I've ever seen in my life, how could it possibly get better?" I didn't end up being able to get Link to the Past when it came out, but I got it when my birthday came around, along with a long awaited Super Nintendo.

Final Fantasy VII - Probably the next game I felt as if I'd explode wanting. Final Fantasy 2 and 3 on Super Nintendo I'd found out about in Blockbuster and was psyched, but didn't know of their existence before I saw them for rental, so I can't say I really was anticipating those. Although, Final Fantasy 3 (VI) had become my favorite game of all time at that age, and when I saw the 3D worlds of Final Fantasy VII (even though I was highly confused at where 4, 5, and 6 had gone) I thought I'd cream my preteen pants. Of course, the problem again was that I didn't have the console it was for, and it was a lot of money. Luckily a couple months after it came out, my friend Nelson bought me both the console and game, and for the next 3 months I was in Heaven. I still play on that copy on a regular basis, good times.

Final Fantasy VIII - Of course... This was the first game I'd anticipated that I got it pretty much right as it came out. I made sure of that for every installment after it as well. It's also notable that I was extremely worked up and anticipating this one more than normal because I had read that it was going to be focused on a love story and I loved the character designs. Then it turned out to be my favorite for awhile, still is in some respects.

Final Fantasy IX - Yep, anticipating ever since I beat Final Fantasy VIII, but especially after the first details started to come out on it. I heard Sakaguchi say that they were going back to the roots and I couldn't wait to play it. Loved every second of it. It's notable to mention that I got this game in the morning, took it home, and played all day until the sun went down without stopping except to eat and use the bathroom. I then continued to play it all through the night until the sun came up again, and for a total of nearly 30 hours straight, stopping for 30 minutes at one point to take some asprin and lay down to relieve a headache. God, this is a good game.

Final Fantasy X - Yep, just a carbon copy of my excitement for the installments before it. This game frustrated me a bit because I knew people that got it the day it came out, but I got it for a birthday present I believe so I had to wait until my birthday to open it, it was only a couple weeks or something but it drove me nuts since all I wanted to do was to be playing it. I made up for it by passing all of my friends who had been playing for a couple weeks, in just a day or two. It took me awhile to beat the first time around, but that's because I did what I usually don't on the first playthrough, and completed most of the sidequests and kind of maxed out my characters. I think I beat Jecht in 2 or 3 hits the first time through, sort of anticlimactic. I promised myself I wouldn't do that again, maxing is for second playthrough.

Egh, use your imagination, you get the idea!

Since I've only really looked forward to Square games so much, I haven't really been let down, I guess the closest it would come is seeing that they had Tobal #1 at a rare video game store near my house and buying it a couple weeks later, only to find out it was the one and only Square game I'd ever played that I hated.

Dreddz
08-02-2005, 07:07 PM
*tuts*
Oh Necronopticous.....

Shoeberto
08-02-2005, 07:12 PM
I guess Metroid Prime 2 was a bit of a let down. It didn't feel as revolutionary as the first. A lot of the power-ups, too, got such little use that they seemed almost worthless...really, couldn't they have put in more than two or three areas where you actually utilize the wall jump?

It was far from a bad game, but it didn't have the impact of the first.

omnitarian
08-02-2005, 07:24 PM
Hmm... I agree with Hsu, Metroid Prime 2 let me down. They failed to capture the great level design and gameplay experience of the first. It's just kinda 'meh' overall.

Lindy
08-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Funny, I like MP2 more than the original.

I know a lot of other people do too, I guess it's just like marmite.

Devil May Cry 2, that let me down.

Then I made the stupid mistake of swapping it for Splinter Cell.

Even bigger let down, never have I returned two games in two days before.

Harvest Moon : A Wonderful Life carries the same let down too, I returned that the next day also.

Strider
08-02-2005, 08:44 PM
The only game that comes to mind is Final Fantasy X.

kikimm
08-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Shadow Hearts for me. I didn't think it would end up being that corny and cliche, but it was. Maybe I'll try to give it another go, because the sequel looks good, but...blegh.

:D

Erdrick Holmes
08-02-2005, 11:02 PM

I agree with Lindy. Max Payne 2 was awesome. In fact, Max Payne was the only series made by Rockstar that is actually worth playing. I cna't wait for Max Payne 3.

Craig
08-02-2005, 11:04 PM

I agree with Lindy. Max Payne 2 was awesome. In fact, Max Payne was the only series made by Rockstar that is actually worth playing. I cna't wait for Max Payne 3.

I think he ment Metroid Prime 2. But yeah, Max Payne 2 was great.

Lindy
08-02-2005, 11:15 PM
Funnily enough, I liked Metroid Prime 2 AND Max Payne 2 more than the originals.

So, it still works.

What a shame it was never made by Rockstar though, it was made by a lesser known Finnish gaming company who I forget the name of. Rockstar just published it, they just publish the GTA games too, Rockstar North actually makes the damned things.

Yuffie514
08-03-2005, 12:11 AM
i'm disappointed on two new games i recently bought. one for PS2 and another for G-Cube. i will mention no names.

for the G-Cube game, i felt that i wasn't given enough time to do all i need to do in order to finish it. each day in this game is time-lapsed (like in Harvest Moon).

then for the PS2 one, well, i don't know how to lay down the problem, but i really thinks they should take in one suggestion from a certain person.

-N-
08-03-2005, 12:17 AM
Xenosaga Episode I.
Final Fantasy VIII.
Final Fantasy IX.

Shoeberto
08-03-2005, 12:43 AM
Xenosaga Episode I.
Yeah.

Rengori
08-03-2005, 12:49 AM
Chrono Cross

Levian
08-03-2005, 12:55 AM
Harvest Moon : A Wonderful Life

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.
Very repetitive.

Zelda: Wind Waker.
I liked the cell-shading, but that's pretty much all I liked.

Resident Evil Outbreak.
Horrendous loading times. I don't have the patience to wait 30 seconds (not exaggerating, it takes 30 seconds.) every time I open a door. (which is often.) There were also only 5 levels and an invincible monster. And boy do I dislike invincible monsters. :/ still stuck.

Lindy
08-03-2005, 12:56 AM
If it's invincible, you run.

If it's Final Thanatos, you use the Sunlight.

If you're still playing Resident Evil Outbreak, why? It's not even fun online with people, let alone solo.

rubah
08-03-2005, 01:07 AM
ff9. I was almost in love with the atomx fmv with In the End, and then the game's story was completely different from the one in the game-_-;

Psychotic
08-03-2005, 01:15 AM
Final Fantasy VIII.
Final Fantasy X.
Dark Chronicle (aka Dark Cloud 2)

Roxula
08-03-2005, 01:16 AM
Stella dues
Makai kingdom

Dragoon Kain
08-03-2005, 03:56 AM
Shadow Hearts for me. I didn't think it would end up being that corny and cliche, but it was. Maybe I'll try to give it another go, because the sequel looks good, but...blegh.

:D

i havent played the first one but shadow hearts covenant is the greatest game ever made. i highly recommend u pick it up.

Rengori
08-03-2005, 03:58 AM
ff9. I was almost in love with the atomx fmv with In the End, and then the game's story was completely different from the one in the game-_-;
You're not making any sense rubah. You're saying that the story of the game was different than the exact same story? Correct me if I read it wrong.

Excelsior
08-03-2005, 05:54 AM
I think MP2 couldnt have had the same impact as MP1 because they had already done it previously. I dont know why people would have expected some sort of revolutionary change like with the first one, but it obviously wasnt going to show up.

anyway, id go with...

Doom 3:
What can I say? Actually, I'm really thinking that right now. I expected it to be good...and turns out, its the worst game ever.

FF X-2:
I thought it was going to be stupid and girly, but in the funny way. It wasn't.

FF Chrystal Chronicles:
It just wasnt fun.

I know theres some other stuff too...I just cant think of it... :shifty:

black orb
08-03-2005, 06:23 AM
>>> Vagrant Story, I expected more.

NeoCracker
08-03-2005, 08:05 AM
Xenosaga Episode I.
Final Fantasy VIII.
Final Fantasy IX.

Hey man, Xenosaga and ff9 are some of my favorite games, :mad2:

But aside from that there are three games that have ever disapointed me.

The first was ff8. Squall just annoyed me to no end.
THen the whas ff chrystal chronicles, the whole game was slow and repetative.
Finaly was the biggest disapointent in my life, Shining Tears. I managed to get through the first mission thing before i wanted to go back to chronicles.

*cough* may the xenosaga hater rot*cough*

Rengori
08-03-2005, 08:42 AM
I'm not going to say anything bad about the Xenosaga hater, because quite frankly, he has a reason: The cutscenes. They are so frigging long, then you play for thirty minutes, Oh look! Another twenty minute cutscene! Can you see where this is going? Though when you do actually play, it's pretty good.