PDA

View Full Version : G4

lordblazer
08-02-2005, 03:55 PM
I don't know if someone has already made this topic or not.Does anyone see whats wrong with G4?

I mean it was techtv then comcast buys it and merges tech with G4$ then it was G4techtv.Now its just G4.Dude it was just like *finger snap* that.Is this what a hostile take over int he corporation world really is?

Dreddz
08-02-2005, 04:05 PM
I saw a bit of them On IGN
I dont see anything wrong but its too in your face and questions people
" Is This What Gamers Are Like ? "

Flying Mullet
08-02-2005, 04:18 PM
I read an article on G4. The guy that owns it now saw the old Tech TV as a poorly viewed channel that he could buy cheaply. He also saw that the gaming market is booming and wanted to capitalize on it by buying Tech TV and orienting it towards gamers.

Shoeberto
08-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Tech TV was entertaining. It appealed to the tech community. They gave you real geeks talking about real tech and keeping it classy and entertaining.

G4 is pure exploitation. It's almost insulting to watch most of their shows. "You like video games? Well, you must not have a brain, so here's a scantily clad girl and a punk song."

Some of their shows are okay, but I still don't watch them most of the time just out of principal. It's not like it was a slow merger where they kept a lot of Tech TV's shows. It was a hostile takeover. TSS went from being one of my favorite shows to being unwatchable - they got rid of Leo and Pat in favor of new, hipper people.

I only ever watch Icons, which is the only G4-original series to have some fucking class, and X-Play, which seems to have retained its style even after the takeover. Everything else is absolute rubbish.

Yeah, I can't talk about this without ranting. Tech TV was my favorite channel, and G4 turned it into /xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif/xxx.gif, then added insult to injury by completely axing it.

The good news is that Leo, Pat, and a lot of the other old Tech TV crew are doing the This Week In Tech podcast, which retains a lot of the personality of the old shows. On top of that, From The Shadows, an IPTV show, often times features Yoshi doing his badass mods. And, of course, Kevin Rose and Dan Huard are doing Systm as part of their new business, Revision3, as an attempt to sort of revive the Tech TV style via IPTV. Systm is very informative, though often times lacks the personality of the old TSS. It's still very good.

XxSephirothxX
08-02-2005, 06:26 PM
I still had a little bit of hope for G4 before Kevin Rose quit/was fired. That was the final straw.

Yamaneko
08-02-2005, 07:49 PM
X-Play sucks, what are you talking about? They do more stupid sketches than review games. And when they do review games, they try to sneak in sketches in there as well. The only good show on G4 isn't even produced my G4 and that's Judgement Day. They give straight-up reviews and no BS. G4 as a whole is a terrible medium to get news on video games. The shows are poorly produced and the personalities are actors for the most part.

Rengori
08-02-2005, 07:57 PM
X-Play is awesome. They're doing more sketches right now due to the gaming drought we're having. And the sketches are pretty funny, don't diss X-Play.

Shoeberto
08-02-2005, 08:10 PM
X-Play sucks, what are you talking about? They do more stupid sketches than review games. And when they do review games, they try to sneak in sketches in there as well. The only good show on G4 isn't even produced my G4 and that's Judgement Day. They give straight-up reviews and no BS. G4 as a whole is a terrible medium to get news on video games. The shows are poorly produced and the personalities are actors for the most part.
Something Awful had a great write up on G4 that expressed my opinions towards Judgement Day perfectly.

"Think "X-Play hosted by a mongoloid and his comparatively normal friend" then think "change the channel" if your brain hasn't already gone into shock, permanently destroying your motor functions. Tommy Tallarico's review scores make absolutely no sense, but I'll attempt to explain them with this handy scoring chart.

Does the game have explosions?
If yes, add 3 points (out of ten)
If no, subtract 4

Are said explosions better looking than Halo 2's?
If no, subtract 6
If yes, subtract 1

Does the game contain farts, burps, pooping, or sexual innuendo?
If all of the above, add 10
If three of the above or less, subtract 3

How's the game play, story, and overall fun factor?
If excellent, add 1
If horrible, add 1 "

So yeah, I hate that show.

Yamaneko
08-02-2005, 08:25 PM
The X-Play scores don't make much sense either. E.R. the PC game gets a 3/5 (I can't recall if that game did get that score, but similar crappy games have), Kibry Canvas Curse gets a 4/5. Oh, and can I call Adam Sessler a pastey-ass schizo? :D

Shoeberto
08-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Yeah, Sessler definately ups the cheese factor on the show a lot of the times. It's like he got a license to spazz after the show went from Extended Play to X-Play. I remember when he used to just stand in an arcade, do a quick setup of the review, and then they'd roll the footage.

Morgan, though. I mean, dude. Morgan.

KentaRawr!
08-02-2005, 08:50 PM
Something Awful had a great write up on G4 that expressed my opinions towards Judgement Day perfectly.

"Think "X-Play hosted by a mongoloid and his comparatively normal friend" then think "change the channel" if your brain hasn't already gone into shock, permanently destroying your motor functions. Tommy Tallarico's review scores make absolutely no sense, but I'll attempt to explain them with this handy scoring chart.

Does the game have explosions?
If yes, add 3 points (out of ten)
If no, subtract 4

Are said explosions better looking than Halo 2's?
If no, subtract 6
If yes, subtract 1

Does the game contain farts, burps, pooping, or sexual innuendo?
If all of the above, add 10
If three of the above or less, subtract 3

How's the game play, story, and overall fun factor?
If excellent, add 1
If horrible, add 1 "

So yeah, I hate that show.

Before I knew what his name was, I called him the "Short Evil Guy".

Wiegrahf42
08-03-2005, 04:10 PM
May Portal rest in peace. That was one of the only other good shows. I would have like to see what they would have done with World of Warcraft, or Guild Wars, but it was not to be. Icons is still the best show becuase, it's a documentary and we don't have some "Hip" loudmouthed idiot shoved in our faces.

Shoeberto
08-03-2005, 07:15 PM
May Portal rest in peace. That was one of the only other good shows.
Oh hell yeah. Portal was freaking hilarious.

edczxcvbnm
08-03-2005, 07:18 PM
G4 sucks and probably always will. Do they do the televised videogame awards or does some other channel...either way those suck more. Somehow :shifty:

Aphelion
08-03-2005, 07:31 PM
We just HAVE to watch G4 in Brazil... It's not a normal channel, it's just a 30 minute program on an open TV channel... It's pretty good (and bad at the same time, because we don't have how to compare it to anything else...it's the only videogame show on TV...)...

edczxcvbnm
08-03-2005, 07:35 PM
It is really the only video game thing over here also...but it is an entire channel of 24 game stuff and everyone involved with those shows know nothing about videogames.

Girl: I have big boobs and looks at them bounce while I call Mario 64 the worse thing to ever happen to the industry.

Guy: Slang Slang Slang Slang HALO 2 slang slang slang I am looking at her BOOOBS!

Rengori
08-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Girl: I have big boobs and looks at them bounce while I call Mario 64 the worse thing to ever happen to the industry.

Guy: Slang Slang Slang Slang HALO 2 slang slang slang I am looking at her BOOOBS!

Don't forget that no one has ever seen anyone off of X-Play or Icons mention "Megaman" before.

Flying Mullet
08-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Do they do the televised videogame awards or does some other channel...
I believe those are on Spike TV.

Shoeberto
08-03-2005, 09:58 PM
Both have them, though from what I've heard, Spike's are even more of a disgrace than G4's.