PDA

View Full Version : Rugby world cup 2007

silverpigeon97
08-03-2005, 10:17 AM
Who do people think will win the next rugby world cup. At the moment i think it will be New Zealand because they look invincible. They have the best flyhalf, lock, openside, scrumhalf, centres, and one wing.

tomamar04
08-03-2005, 02:45 PM
England...because I'm optimistic

T-MaN
08-03-2005, 05:59 PM
New Zealand looks pretty strong so far.

Psychotic
08-03-2005, 06:09 PM
I don't like rugby, but if England win I'll be sure to pretend to like it so I can rub it in everyone elses' faces like I did last time. :)

Mo-Nercy
08-03-2005, 11:20 PM
I woulda banked on Australia before, but seeing their recent form...I'm not so sure. New Zealand's probable now but I voted South Africa for kicks.

Shoden
08-03-2005, 11:46 PM
whats Rygby and who are Enland?

Loony BoB
09-08-2007, 01:34 PM
43-7 to NZ over Italy. 8-)

...and it's only half time :D

Polaris
09-08-2007, 02:02 PM
Probaby England or NZ... I don't even know what the portuguese are doing there :rolleyes2

cloud21zidane16
09-08-2007, 02:05 PM
:thumb: COME ON ENGLAND:thumb:

Sergeant Hartman
09-08-2007, 02:56 PM
Wales represent! :hat:

charliepanayi
09-08-2007, 03:21 PM
I'm going to be boring and say New Zealand, they have to finally come good after so many previous disappointments.

Cracking opening game last night, that Group D is a real group of death. Two things about the tournament though: it's too long at 6 weeks and there will be a lot of mismatches in the first round, which may get tedious after a while.

Old Manus
09-08-2007, 06:17 PM
I watched NZ v Italy and Australia v Japan at work today, and I must say that both Kiwis and Aussies looked pretty incredible.

Also cymru ar y win

Comet
09-08-2007, 06:19 PM
Australia of courzzzzz

ReloadPsi
09-08-2007, 06:48 PM
I would like England to win so I voted for them even though I never really watch Rugby. I prefer it to football any day though :P

Bart's Friend Milhouse
09-08-2007, 08:43 PM
I don't know how well the non-European contenders are performing as of lately but I'll go with Australia anyway

Big D
09-08-2007, 11:55 PM
I vote New Zealand, just for entertainment's sake. I don't really expect we'll win. New Zealand's major sports teams - especially the cricket and rugby teams - have proven time and again that they can look promising, perform admirably, then completely fail at the last minute, when success has begun to look inevitable.
However strong the All Blacks might seem now, they'll probably fall back into the old routine once the competition starts to heat up.

Aside from that, I don't really have any expectations or predictions for the World Cup. I'll probably watch the highlights on the news, and it'll be interesting to see who wins, but aside from that I'm not nearly as interested as I might once have been.

o_O
09-09-2007, 01:24 PM
I vote New Zealand, just for entertainment's sake. I don't really expect we'll win. New Zealand's major sports teams - especially the cricket and rugby teams - have proven time and again that they can look promising, perform admirably, then completely fail at the last minute, when success has begun to look inevitable.

Usually that's at the hands of the Australians though, who are masters of coming back and snatching victory at the last minute. :p There's every possibility of a New Zealand - Australia matchup not actually eventuating, looking at pool B. They'll have to defeat Wales and Fiji and given their recent form, both teams are capable of an upset.
Following that, and assuming they win their pool, they'll have to defeat the winner of pool A which will probably be South Africa, but could be any of Samoa, Tonga or England.

I place my vote and prediction firmly on New Zealand. Australia's victory margin over Japan was formidable, but I don't think it's as impressive as New Zealand's thumping of Italy, given that the Italians would probably thrash the Cherry Blossoms by 50-odd. Australia really should have had Japan buried early in the first half.
I know England's form hasn't been great lately, but they should have dominated USA. France probably should have beaten the Pumas, but it's not a complete shock that Argentina won.

Firo Volondé
09-09-2007, 02:14 PM
I don't care for rugby as much as other, better sports *coughcricketcough* but based off what I've seen, I'd say New Zealand or Australia look pretty likely to win.

I Don't Need A Name
09-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Wales represent! :hat:

im with you matt! Wales FTW

Jings
09-09-2007, 07:48 PM
After England's disastrous start to the World Cup against the Eagles they just don't look to be anywhere near the quality of Australia, New Zealand or South Africa. One of those three countries will win it, I'd put my house on it and I'm going for New Zealand.

I was going to vote for Scotland to win out of sheer bias but I quickly saw sense. I think we'll get into the next round though.

Heath
09-09-2007, 08:47 PM
I don't like rugby, but if England win I'll be sure to pretend to like it so I can rub it in everyone elses' faces like I did last time. :)

Rocket Edge
09-09-2007, 11:43 PM
Its either gonna be NZ, Ireland, Austrailia or France who will win it. Based on recent form Ireland have looked not so great, while Argentina look strong.

Loony BoB
10-06-2007, 11:22 PM
Sigh.

Big D
10-06-2007, 11:23 PM
New Zealand's major sports teams - especially the cricket and rugby teams - have proven time and again that they can look promising, perform admirably, then completely fail at the last minute, when success has begun to look inevitable.
However strong the All Blacks might seem now, they'll probably fall back into the old routine once the competition starts to heat up.Yup, I called it pretty well.

Heath
10-06-2007, 11:39 PM
In all honesty, I expected an Australia-New Zealand semi-final and am honestly quite surprised how things have turned out. I am, however, glad to see that England have started playing properly at long last.

charliepanayi
10-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Sheer madness today, was great to see upsets in both games. I did feel sorry for the All Blacks, but then I'd have felt sorry for whoever lost that game. I love the way France can perform wonders sometimes though.

I'd like Argentina to make the final, would be nice to see the traditional order of things unsettled a little.

Mitch
10-07-2007, 12:52 PM
Silly All Blacks treated it like a holiday, not a competition, which is why they're supposedly the worst All Blacks in any world cup competition.

The weather over town today suited the mood. Everyone's really depressed about it. I think it's funny.

Mo-Nercy
10-07-2007, 04:29 PM
At this stage it looks like the Springboks are poised to take it out. But then again, it's been a World Cup of Upsets so far, so who can really say?

One thing's for sure, it's been very good watching.

Except for them gosh darn English o' course.

Old Manus
10-07-2007, 04:37 PM
I watched England Vs Australia at work and was gobsmacked, along with the other staff who were resigned to the fact that we weren't going to win. 3 world cup wins against the aussies in a row feels like great justice.

Aurons_Desciple
10-07-2007, 09:41 PM
HOW COULD WE LOSE TO THE FRENCH!!! :( Oh well, GO ARGENTINA

cloud21zidane16
10-07-2007, 10:09 PM
I was shocked we beat Australia, but overall we deserved it;) the aussies thought they were going to walz through the game:rolleyes2

:thumb: Come on England:thumb:

I Don't Need A Name
10-07-2007, 10:22 PM
I was shocked we beat Australia, but overall we deserved it;) the aussies thought they were going to walz through the game:rolleyes2

:thumb: Come on England:thumb:

they should have taken the hint really xD

i still dont think England will win this year

Heath
10-13-2007, 09:50 PM
Holy crap, we're in the final. Really didn't think England'd make it, but by golly, what a last ten minutes.

charliepanayi
10-13-2007, 09:54 PM
All credit to England, but from a neutral viewpoint....it's like the rugby equivalent of Chelsea or Greece, just not that interesting XD - of course England fans won't care, and why should they. So enjoy the next week guys and all.

South Africa to win tomorrow...I think.

I Don't Need A Name
10-13-2007, 10:19 PM
yeah, south africa should win.
lets hope the final doesnt have the same result as in the groups :(

charliepanayi
10-13-2007, 10:24 PM
I doubt it will, it'd be pretty boring if it did XD

England seem to have pioneered the 'Italy at the 1982 Football World Cup' tactic. Be utterly crap in the group stage than become impossible to beat after.

Jings
10-14-2007, 12:55 AM
Good lord, I cheerfully supported England (and Scotland of course) throughout the tournament safe in the knowledge that there was no chance in hell they were going to win it. Good on me I thought, way to be British and support my fellow islanders, now the cold sweats are kicking in as I realise I have just cheered on England, ENGLAND, to the Rugby World Cup finals. I hereby resign my kilt, sporran and fine Scotch whisky.

Good luck in the final to my southern neighbours.

I hope South Africa destroy you ;)

The Shoeless Hobo
10-14-2007, 02:08 AM
God I hate the English, they're a one man team... >.>

Resha
10-14-2007, 12:51 PM
I'm hoping South Africa win :p I was pretty surprised England won, but meh -- I didn't expect an England-France semi in the first place. But it's funny to hear people singing "swing looow, sweeet chariot"

I Don't Need A Name
10-14-2007, 01:27 PM
God I hate the English, they're a one man team... >.>

2 man team actually. Johnny Wilkinson and Jason Robinson ftw

I'm hoping South Africa win :p I was pretty surprised England won, but meh -- I didn't expect an England-France semi in the first place. But it's funny to hear people singing "swing looow, sweeet chariot"

:cry: how dare you Resha

Rocket Edge
10-14-2007, 01:32 PM
Argentina to win it outright.

Old Manus
10-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Bugger.

Vivisteiner
10-20-2007, 10:20 PM
I have a funny feeling that South Africa are gonna win this one.

Ill bet someone?

Anyone?

Resha
10-21-2007, 10:44 AM
I'll not be taking that bet :p

ahaha. I was quite surprised though that the game was...well, I expected higher scores and stuff :-( no tries, what?

demondude
10-21-2007, 10:59 AM
Well damnit. :(

I Don't Need A Name
10-21-2007, 12:00 PM
I'll not be taking that bet :p

ahaha. I was quite surprised though that the game was...well, I expected higher scores and stuff :-( no tries, what?

apart from the England try which was disallowed cause people dont open their eyes :eep:

Old Manus
10-21-2007, 12:07 PM
I think it was disallowed because his foot touched the line before he lifted it back up again, but I still think it should have been a try.

England didn't deserve to lose by 9 points, but sloppy mistakes in the beginning cost them penalties which Montgomery was never going to miss. But with that and the SA lineout being totally top-notch every time, I think England made a game of it.

Heath
10-21-2007, 12:10 PM
I think Manus really summarised the game for me. I was actually out with a couple of friends list night who largely don't like rugby so it was only by coincidence that the place we ended up spending the night was showing it, but I'd agree that I don't think we deserved to lose by such a margin.

I'm more annoyed over the derby than the World Cup, to be honest.

Loony BoB
10-21-2007, 02:47 PM
Well, it's not like France won by a try that came about from a forward pass to beat New Zealand anyway. :shifty:

cloud21zidane16
10-21-2007, 02:53 PM
I think England gave a really good performance considering the mess we were in just a few weeks ago, that shouldve been a try though:mad2: at least we knocked out Australia:D

charliepanayi
10-21-2007, 03:07 PM
The better team won in the end, and South Africa have been consistently excellent at this World Cup. They're worthy winners.

And that decision not to award the try was correct I think.

ReloadPsi
10-21-2007, 04:31 PM
I woulda banked on Australia before, but seeing their recent form...I'm not so sure. New Zealand's probable now but I voted South Africa for kicks.

Bastard :P

Since I don't understand the scoring rules I'm gonna ask whether or not a single try (had it not been disallowed) would have enabled the gap of nine points to close?

charliepanayi
10-21-2007, 04:48 PM
A try is worth 5 points, and then you can get an extra 2 points if you kick the conversion after.

It would not have closed 9 points on its own, but if they'd gotten the conversion, it would have meant a penalty kick or drop goal (both worth three points) would have put them in the lead. And people would argue it would have given England a lot of momenum. But I think the decision was correct and all.