PDA

View Full Version : Something that still bothers me

abrojtm
08-04-2005, 06:08 AM
Why is Rinoa's last name Heartilly and not Caraway?

Skyblade
08-04-2005, 06:14 AM
Because she hates her father and would rather keep her mother's last name?

Similar to why Squall's last name is Leonhart and not Loire. Although in that case it was because the villagers in Winhill never really liked Laguna, blamed him for Raine's death, and named Raine's child on their own.

G SpOtZ
08-04-2005, 06:18 AM
that was a good explaination, skyblade.

i think it was either what skyblade said, or the fact that heartilly was a cooler name than caraway, and leonheart was a cooler name than loire. if i had to choose i'd definitely make the same choices.

abrojtm
08-04-2005, 06:24 AM
I know lots of people that despise their fathers, but they don't go and take the names of their mothers (especially when they hardly know them).

Skyblade
08-04-2005, 07:26 AM
I know lots of people that despise their fathers, but they don't go and take the names of their mothers (especially when they hardly know them).

Ok, I already explained that Squall didn't have much choice. He didn't even know who his parents were, let alone whether he liked them or not.

As to Rinoa, her mother was dead and she was engaged in a rebellion against a government whose military forces were commanded by her father. Is it really too far-fetched to think that she might choose the name of her mother instead? Heck, I wonder if the Forest Owls even know that Caraway is her father. She probably chose to use her mother's name to avoid awkward questions...

nik0tine
08-04-2005, 07:42 AM
I think this is just a flaw on Squares part.

boys from the dwarf
08-04-2005, 08:55 AM
Because she hates her father and would rather keep her mother's last name?

Similar to why Squall's last name is Leonhart and not Loire. Although in that case it was because the villagers in Winhill never really liked Laguna, blamed him for Raine's death, and named Raine's child on their own.
never thought of it that way.so its julia heartily and rinoa heartily and raine leonheart and sqall leonheart.nicw explainatoin skyblade.

abrojtm
08-05-2005, 07:03 AM
Well, I suppose to avoid awkardness with the Forest Owls is the most reasonable point I've heard, so I'll just go with that.

(And I agree about Squall's last name).

P.S. How old was Rinoa when Julia died?

Selphie Fan
08-05-2005, 08:29 AM
I think Rinoa was 5 when Julia died. I'm not entirely sure though. I remember reading somewhere that Julia died in a car accident when she was 28 and that Rinoa was five years old.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-05-2005, 08:45 AM
I think this is just a flaw on Squares part.On the contrary, if it had been the other way, Rinoa's relation to Julia and Squall's relation to Laguna would have been obvious from the beginning.

The Wonderful Nobody
08-08-2005, 02:31 AM
I always thought that Squall's last name was "Leonhart" because it was something he chose on his own growing up. If it was his official name, y'know, his mother's last name, then why at the beginning of the game when the guy called out the names of who had passed the field test to become SeeD, why didn't he mention Squall's last name? He said something like, "Squall... Uhm, Squall." He had said everyone else's names... Just wondering! Lol Was there anything ever mentioned about Raine's last name? Hmm...

Kilrane
08-08-2005, 02:48 AM

i took my mothers last name, gonzalez, instead of my fathers, ordońez, and i hate him so much i wanna do to him what sephiroth did to aeris.

G SpOtZ
08-08-2005, 03:24 AM
i took my mothers last name, gonzalez, instead of my fathers, ordońez, and i hate him so much i wanna do to him what sephiroth did to aeris.

O_O brutal and harsh. but i'm sure you have ur reasons.

Skyblade
08-08-2005, 06:22 AM
I always thought that Squall's last name was "Leonhart" because it was something he chose on his own growing up. If it was his official name, y'know, his mother's last name, then why at the beginning of the game when the guy called out the names of who had passed the field test to become SeeD, why didn't he mention Squall's last name? He said something like, "Squall... Uhm, Squall." He had said everyone else's names... Just wondering! Lol Was there anything ever mentioned about Raine's last name? Hmm...

Actually, he doesn't say "Squall... Uhm, Squall". He says "Squall... That is all."

Anyway, Leonhart being Raine's last name is the currently accepted theory, and it seems to fit the facts to me. I can't recall if it is mentioned in the game or not right now. Sorry.

crazybayman
08-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Another thing........you can change Squall's name.

If the gamer say, wanted to call him "Jimmy", or "Jimmy Smith" it wouldn't make sense for the game to have them call out "Jimmy Smith Leonhart". You'd just get "Jimmy", or "Jimmy Smith", which would make sense to the gamer, when they announce who passed the SeeD Exam, and every other time that character's name is said in the dialogue.

wingHEART
08-08-2005, 04:37 PM
What Skyblade wrote.
And also, I think Square wanted to work in the 'love-heart' theme... leonHART, HEARTilly.
:)

Zanius
08-08-2005, 05:12 PM
What Skyblade wrote.
And also, I think Square wanted to work in the 'love-heart' theme... leonHART, HEARTilly.
:)

It makes perfect sense to me. :)

Jessweeee♪
08-08-2005, 06:19 PM
because the name Caraway sucks

Skyblade
08-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Out of curiousity, was Squall's last name ever said in the in-game dialogue? I know it was in the instruction manual, but was it in the game itself? I can't remember...

The Wonderful Nobody
08-08-2005, 06:57 PM

Actually, he doesn't say "Squall... Uhm, Squall". He says "Squall... That is all."

Anyway, Leonhart being Raine's last name is the currently accepted theory, and it seems to fit the facts to me. I can't recall if it is mentioned in the game or not right now. Sorry.

Oh, ok. Thank you though! I had never really considered her last name being Leonhart. It just never crossed my mind; I had always assumed it was a name he had chosen on his own. But thank you for letting me know!

crazybayman
08-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Out of curiousity, was Squall's last name ever said in the in-game dialogue? I know it was in the instruction manual, but was it in the game itself? I can't remember...
I don't think it is mentioned, ever. That's most likely because:

Another thing........you can change Squall's name.

If the gamer say, wanted to call him "Jimmy", or "Jimmy Smith" it wouldn't make sense for the game to have them call out "Jimmy Smith Leonhart". You'd just get "Jimmy", or "Jimmy Smith", which would make sense to the gamer, when they announce who passed the SeeD Exam, and every other time that character's name is said in the dialogue.

Yuffie514
08-09-2005, 02:47 AM
i think it was either what skyblade said, or the fact that heartilly was a cooler name than caraway, and leonheart was a cooler name than loire. if i had to choose i'd definitely make the same choices.

:fpenerg:

absolutely! Squall Loire? Rinoa Caraway? :grinpink:

Jessweeee♪
08-09-2005, 06:59 PM
actually you can't change squall's last name...but i still don't get why they don't ever say it. i mean when they were calling the people that passed the exam, they called everyone's last name but when squall came up he's like "squall...squall from squad B"

crazybayman
08-09-2005, 07:34 PM
actually you can't change squall's last name...but i still don't get why they don't ever say it. i mean when they were calling the people that passed the exam, they called everyone's last name but when squall came up he's like "squall...squall from squad B"
I know you can't change his last name.

I'll try this again.

The reason why they don't say his last name when they announce who passed, is because you can change his first name. If a gamer were to do that, say for instance (I'll use the same example as I did above), the gamer wanted to call him "Jimmy", or "Jimmy Smith".

If this were the case, and they did decide to call out his last name, it would read:

"Jimmy Smith Leonhart".

This wouldn't make much sense, as the game wants to call him "Jimmy Smith" (I dunno, maybe this is the gamer's name). Therefore, they only ever say "Squall", or "Insert Name Here" during the game.

Same goes for Rinoa. You can change her name, and therefore, anyone in the game only ever refers to her as "Rinoa", and never her last name.

Say the game wanted to call her "Sally Smith". If anywhere in the game they decided to say her last name, it would read "Sally Smith Heartilly", which wouldn't make much sense.

zbonks
08-10-2005, 03:35 AM
Square probably gave Rinoa and Squall different last names from their fathers because Square wanted to prevent spoilers or that Rinoa hates her dad and the Winhill villagers gave Squall his mother's last name.