PDA

View Full Version : Axes and Flails, why do they suck

Raven Bladewind
08-04-2005, 04:52 PM
The streangth is higher but the do less dammage. why?

BG-57
08-05-2005, 03:43 AM
They do a variable amount of damage. I believe the power rating is a reflection of the maximum damage they can do.

Because of this, I almost never use them, even if they are the 'strongest' weapons a character can equip.

Raven Bladewind
08-05-2005, 04:35 AM
Yea im always telling the stupid shop keeper to stop setting a flail or an axe as the best fit

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-05-2005, 06:09 AM
Actually I think the damage it shows is the mid-range, as I've had it do both more and less. As they are generally powerful weapons, they can add a bit of uncertainty to the game, which is generally about seeking the most favorable opportunities. Some people might enjoy the random factor, but I generally dislike it, I prefer guaranteed damage.

BG-57
08-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Ah, my bad.

Exactly the same reason I dislike Truth and Untruth. I'd rather hit for less damage in exchange for knowing exactly what it will do.

Russ80
08-14-2005, 01:47 AM
I don't see any stat reason why this should be so, except for the wierd % after the attack power. What is this? Flails etc. have 0%, but swords and other normal weapons have 5% or higher.

And I find it quite annoying when shopkeepers recommend crap like bags and stuff that has the SAME power or less than my weapon, but just costs more.

DocFrance
08-14-2005, 05:18 AM
I don't see any stat reason why this should be so, except for the wierd % after the attack power. What is this? Flails etc. have 0%, but swords and other normal weapons have 5% or higher.

And I find it quite annoying when shopkeepers recommend crap like bags and stuff that has the SAME power or less than my weapon, but just costs more.
The percentage after the weapon power is Weapon Block chance. If a character has the Weapon Block R-Ability equipped, this percentage is added to his or her evasion.

In case you were wondering, the equation for determing a character's chance to evade is:

1 - [(1 - C.Ev.) * (1 - S.Ev.) * (1 - A.Ev.) * (1 - W.Ev.)]

Where C.Ev. is the character's innate class evasion, S.Ev. is the evasion stat of the character's shield (if equipped), A.Ev. is the evasion stat of the character's accessory (if equipped), and W.Ev. is the evasion stat of the character's weapon (if the R-Ability is equipped).

-N-
08-16-2005, 06:03 AM
Shopkeepers recommend bags because they have awesome side effects like Speed+1.

Masamune·1600
08-16-2005, 03:14 PM
The algorithm used to determine axe/flail damage is, I believe, (1..PA) * (the power of the weapon). Hence, the damage can be massively variable, based on the character's PA stat. The power of the weapon itself is not variable, but the weapon type still affects PA.

Dark Messenger
09-07-2005, 06:17 AM
I don't use axes or flail for reasons other than Throwing them. And for bags: They are expensive and they do the same type of damage as axes and flails do (random) and you can't throw Bags.

But! Bags are good for MAKING money!

You need a duplicate trick:

Buy ONE Bag for say Agrias then go a shop that has no weapons that are stronger than the Bag. Then put another Bag or weapon where the shield is and choose Best Fit and quit fitting. Do this many times and sell the extra Bags.

This duplicate trick is easier than the '2 swords' one, as well. Good for making Excaliburs and stuff. *coughjavelinIIcough*