PDA

View Full Version : Yojinbo = Shadow (?)

The legendary Shadow
08-04-2005, 11:59 PM
I thought that Yojinbo could be Shadow.The reasons of my thoughts are that:
1.They both hiding their faces (Mask).
2.They do anything for money.
3.The Dog!!! on their side.
4.Shadows`s a Ninja and Yojinbo uses Ninja skills like Wakizashi.

So it could be that Shadow is Yojinbo?!?Why not!?!

Necronopticous
08-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Uh, that's not very substantial evidence.

The legendary Shadow
08-05-2005, 12:06 AM
I don`t understand :confused:

Necronopticous
08-05-2005, 12:06 AM
And you always fear what you don't understand.

The legendary Shadow
08-05-2005, 12:13 AM
Not really,
I don`t even know what fear means ;)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-05-2005, 12:17 AM
Yojimbo is a ronin--a samurai without a master. He's not a ninja like Shadow, nor does he use "ninja skills." A wakizashi, by the way, is a type of samurai sword; historically, ninja didn't use anything so fancy.

ThroneofDravaris
08-05-2005, 12:22 AM
That has almost as little basis as Rinoa=Ultimecia….

DJZen
08-05-2005, 01:46 AM
Although he might be a sort of throwback to Shadow. He certainly does have the work for gil/canine companion/throwing weapons/"I don't give a f*** about you and I'll slit your throat for the asking" thing going on.

Ninjas actually used things MUCH fancier than samurai swords. Most of it would be called "slight of hand" trickery today, but Yojimbo doesn't do any of that. He just throws knives, sicks his dog on you, cuts you with his sword, or chops you in half. Shadow could use elemental attacks, turn invisible, and other things from his throw command. Shadow was clearly the fancier of the two, even if he was not technically a ninja according to FFVI. ;)

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-05-2005, 02:07 AM
Ninjas actually used things MUCH fancier than samurai swords. Most of it would be called "slight of hand" trickery today, but Yojimbo doesn't do any of that. He just throws knives, sicks his dog on you, cuts you with his sword, or chops you in half. Shadow could use elemental attacks, turn invisible, and other things from his throw command. Shadow was clearly the fancier of the two, even if he was not technically a ninja according to FFVI. ;)By "fancy," I meant high-quality. Ninja swords ("ninjato") were nowhere near as durable as samurai swords and were prone to breaking. Ideally, though, they were never used for head-on swordfights or duels or anything, so they got the job done.

DJZen
08-05-2005, 06:27 AM
Agreed. I've played Tenchu like 5 times so I'm obviously a master ninja, and I can tell you, ninjas can hold their own. In fact, ninjas can kick ANYONE'S ass, but they'd MUCH rather garrote you while your back is turned. Why? Because ninjas ****ing pwn.

Ultima Shadow
08-05-2005, 11:11 AM
xD

liamo
08-05-2005, 12:23 PM
i've watched every ninja film i can get my hands on and every game with ninjas in it also ones with samurai's does that make me a master ninja samurai thingy?

and the shadow is yojimbo thing is scarier than future esthars theories

DJZen
08-05-2005, 08:13 PM
Yes, you have truly achieved mastery of the ninja art. Here's $5, go kill some people.

Mirage
08-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Yojimbo does not equal Shadow.

udsuna
08-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure that the Shadow/Yojimbo deal works pretty well. By definition (unfortunately damaged by crappy translations), Shadow is more a Ronin than actually a Ninja. As for "Yojimbo"... it means "bodyguard"- or maybe "bodyguard for hire" would be more accurate. Distinctly, I'd say the word "mercenary" is the best english translation.

As for the dog thing... that one is so obviously Shadow's tell. And the moves are all ninja hybrid concepts. Shadow is a (bad) ninja knockoff... Yojimbo is either an incredibly horrid samurai knockoff (in the same way that Kain is a horrid Roman Phalanx soldier knockoff), or just a bad ninja knockoff. I remember the first time I ran into Yojimbo... I was like "yeah, that's Shadow, this guy is gonna rock". I was wrong, Yojimbo sucks, but que sera, sera.

DJZen
08-07-2005, 07:18 PM
Yojimbo sucks? That's news to me....

Also, Shadow is NOT a ronin. A ronin would be a lot more similar to a samurai, and FFVI already has a samurai (Cyan). Shadow's job as given in the Japanese version of the game is assassin. Now, we could take the commonly used meaning of this word, which would make him a lot closer in nature to a ninja than a samurai. Or, we could take the litteral meaning and assume that he smokes hash before battle.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-07-2005, 07:39 PM
By definition (unfortunately damaged by crappy translations), Shadow is more a Ronin than actually a Ninja.Except the English version never specified him as a Ninja, and the Japanese version calls him an Assassin, not a Ronin.
As for "Yojimbo"... it means "bodyguard"- or maybe "bodyguard for hire" would be more accurate. Distinctly, I'd say the word "mercenary" is the best english translation.Except "mercenary" can imply a variety of duties, while "yojimbo" specifically means bodyguard.

udsuna
08-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Except "mercenary" can imply a variety of duties, while "yojimbo" specifically means bodyguard.

Yes, but a Yojimbo's career also tends to include work as a hired soldier (definition of mercenary), assassin, or professional duelist.

liamo
08-08-2005, 02:56 PM
that is basically what a body gaurd would have done in fuedal japan they would work as a soldier or warrior to his employers cause while keeping him alive.

eh i need more than five bucks what with all the overheads and stuff

abrojtm
08-09-2005, 07:08 AM
Agreed. I've played Tenchu like 5 times so I'm obviously a master ninja, and I can tell you, ninjas can hold their own. In fact, ninjas can kick ANYONE'S ass, but they'd MUCH rather garrote you while your back is turned. Why? Because ninjas ****ing pwn.

Except (maybe) pirates... let the battle begin.

Yojimbo is not Shadow.