PDA

View Full Version : Chrono Ressurection-Cancelled!

Lawr
08-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Chrono Ressurestion was
cancelled! :mad2: That sucks!

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-05-2005, 12:38 AM
It wasn't going to be for the PS2; it's absurd to think a copyright-violating fan creation would ever be officially published or otherwise be allowed to turn a profit. And Square told the Resurrection guys to knock it off almost a year ago (http://forums.eyesonff.com/showthread.php?t=50383).

assemblage
08-05-2005, 12:49 AM
man, but still!! CT in 3D? it's a old school RPG obsesser's dream come true! it's sad that SquareEnix didn't even think it was such a good idea as to....jeez, i dunno, hire the people who were making CT:R as an extension of SE and let them go through with it. i think they're losing a lotta money with that Cease And Desist order. :(

TheAbominatrix
08-05-2005, 12:54 AM
They're losing a lot of money by keeping their product under their control? You've got a lot to learn about business.

Oh yay, really ugly 3d version of Chrono! Why is it even neccesary? And if SE wants one, they'll do one themselves. Better quality.

Necronopticous
08-05-2005, 12:58 AM
Oh my God... I almost just died when I realized you just NOW figured out about this. Good times.

assemblage
08-05-2005, 01:10 AM
They're losing a lot of money by keeping their product under their control? You've got a lot to learn about business.

Oh yay, really ugly 3d version of Chrono! Why is it even neccesary? And if SE wants one, they'll do one themselves. Better quality.
i assume you have, but hell, i'll ask anyway - you have seen the pictures of what they've done so far, haven't you? although i don't like the fact that it was based off of the PS CT images, the ones made by the Dragonball Z artist, it would be pretty cool to be able to look around all those peoples houses and castles and all that stuff in 3D. maybe i'm just a CT geek....but either way.

also, a lot of the forums i've been to have had this kind of thing posted, and a crapload of people are angry about the C&D order. a lot of people woulda bought it, me included. i know where they're coming from though, i'd be pissed if someone stole my idea and made it better. but if it was something that RPG veterans would buy, cmon, why not let them do a demo and see how it goes.

but that's just me.

TheAbominatrix
08-05-2005, 01:15 AM
Yes I have. Its ugly. Not bad for individual people (ie: not game companies), but its not like they're making anything better than SE could. Especially when CT was a beautiful game in sprite form.

You touched on the heart of the issue. You'd BUY it. They have no right whatsoever to sell SE's material (though I believe they werent going to sell it, I dont know nor do I care).

Why not let them do a demo? Because its a violation of SE's copyrights, and allowing them to do so would open up a whole can of worms.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-05-2005, 01:15 AM
Chrono Trigger's were designed by Akira Toriyama ("the Dragonball Z artist") from the very beginning. Don't know how you missed that one.

assemblage
08-05-2005, 01:20 AM
kawaii, i'm fine with the fact that, who was it, Toriyama, did it, i'm just saying i'm not thrilled with his style of anime, the way he draws it. i don't pay much attention to credits.

and matrix, i guess that's right, how they kinda (okay, they DID) stole it from SE. still, i dunno. i just thought it would be kinda cool to see places and people in more of a real life thing.

crashNUMBERS
08-05-2005, 03:17 AM
It got cancelled a while ago actually. Yeah some one once told me that thid was old news...

Super Christ
08-05-2005, 01:58 PM
I am still kinda pissed about that.

Square stole (last) christmas!

edczxcvbnm
08-05-2005, 04:52 PM
I don't agree with Squenix. They should have taken the road Valve has taken. There is a project right now to remake the orginal Half-Life with update graphics and the Source engine and Valve supports it. Squenix just sucks [!]a huge thobbing cock[/!]<>.

Edit by Kishi: Oh, ed.

XxSephirothxX
08-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Sure, I would have liked to see it come to life, but I got over it about...oh, a day after hearing the project was cancelled. I'd much rather have Square make a sequel, direct or otherwise.

assemblage
08-06-2005, 12:10 AM
i heard about it like a month ago, then clicked on something that talked about how Square released it's C&D order. so the dream was born and killed in the time span of 30 seconds. which kinda sucked, but ah well. i still woulda wanted to just see it, but i can live with the SNES version easily :tongue:

G SpOtZ
08-06-2005, 12:20 AM
The cartoon animation that the original CT was drawn as wouldn't look so good in 3D form... BUT if they turned it into FFVII: AC style graphics, then i think it woulda kicked ass. cuz in cartoons and stuff, that DBZ hair is just way too exaggerated or however u spell it lol. still i'm sure we're all curious on how the characters would look, along with the world... and the EPOCH whooo

assemblage
08-06-2005, 12:28 AM
The cartoon animation that the original CT was drawn as wouldn't look so good in 3D form... BUT if they turned it into FFVII: AC style graphics, then i think it woulda kicked ass. cuz in cartoons and stuff, that DBZ hair is just way too exaggerated or however u spell it lol. still i'm sure we're all curious on how the characters would look, along with the world... and the EPOCH whooo
he just said in one single post all of what i was trying to say last night, except he added some cool stuff i didn't realize i wanted till i read it. you rock, spotz!!

BudSoda02
08-09-2005, 10:50 PM
Square just got caught up in things like making FFXII, add on packs for FFXI, managing FFXI, doing tech demos with sony for the new PS3 etc. Simple explanation, Square just got too busy to get the time to make it (Chrono Ressurection) I'm sure if you looked closely at all the work they have to do you'd understand. Okay? They just need to free a little time up, maybe after the PS3 is released? Oh well...
Thanks- BudSoda02 BudSoda02@yahoo.com

XxSephirothxX
08-09-2005, 11:04 PM
Square wasn't the one making Chrono Trigger Resurrection. It was a fan project, and Square issued a Cease and Desist.

Zone Eater
08-16-2005, 04:24 AM
How can you say you like Chrono Trigger but then say you dont like the "Dragonball Guy's" art? I mean he basically created the look of the whole freaking game. that new game hes working on for SE ( i cant remember the name but i guess it has something to do with shadows i believe) looks pretty cool. Another thing, how can you say that Chrono's hair is too exaggerated for 3-D but then say it would be cool if the new game was FFVII style? Have you seen Cloud's freakin hair?

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-16-2005, 04:51 AM
that new game hes working on for SE ( i cant remember the name but i guess it has something to do with shadows i believe) looks pretty cool.It's Blue Dragon, and it's a Mistwalker game, not a Square Enix one.

Zone Eater
08-16-2005, 05:06 AM
oh, i see. I just assumed it was SE. Thanks for the clarification man.

SomethingBig
08-16-2005, 07:50 AM
The cartoon animation that the original CT was drawn as wouldn't look so good in 3D form... BUT if they turned it into FFVII: AC style graphics, then i think it woulda kicked ass. cuz in cartoons and stuff, that DBZ hair is just way too exaggerated or however u spell it lol.
Look at the newer Dragon Warriors and the DBZ: Budokais, then tell me it would translate to PS2 graphics well.

Sephex
08-16-2005, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I knew about this awhile ago. I would have wanted to play the demo just to see what it was like, I'll admit.

cookieface
08-28-2005, 02:02 AM
Yea I know this is an old post, and even older news. But it's such a shame that these guys didn't have the sense to stay anonymous. I know that the same thing happened to a modification of the pc game quake 3 which was about Dragonball Z. They had to stop and close the site. That is, the copyright holders of DBZ told the persons working on the project to cease and desist. And they did, but they released a bare bones package with no copyright infringing material (i.e. the character models, and names). Then the model files and maps showed up mysteriously around the net. People got the game anyways. Why didn't they release the game anonymously? Seems kind of ridiculous. That's what I would have done. The only thing I can think of is that they were already out in the open and there was no way to hide from SquareE. Shame, I think the guy(s) just got scared. SquareE wouldn't have pursued a thing unless the violation was out in the open. Oh wells

crashNUMBERS
08-28-2005, 03:20 AM
It was never gonna be for the PS2. And this is like the fourth thread on this. The game looked like crap anyways. It wouldn't have been a classic or masterpiece like the original..

GooeyToast
08-28-2005, 03:40 AM
Looks like someone has been caught in a time-loop.

Too much CT I say.

squareSOFT
08-28-2005, 05:55 AM
Ahh, that was the day I lost all faith in the merger with Enix. Issuing a C&D order was more than unnecessary, I mean come on even if this project didnt fall apart and was somehow released, would the majority of people even know or care about it? From what I gathered it was to be a free download. Not a huge Ps2 title or anything of that nature. A free download where the only people aware of it would be people who love (or at least used to) Square. People who would buy any sort of Remake with the SE logo on it. To even begin to suggest that this product would have done anything at all to SE's finances is beyond idiocy. And lets not forget who these people are. They are people who, from what I gather, love Square and didnt want to make a profit, but merely wanted to beautifly re-create a beautiful game. If Square could not find any alternative methods of dealing with this issue then their loss of creativity extends farther then just video games.

TheAbominatrix
08-28-2005, 06:03 AM
Oh give me a break. They'd have done it regardless of Enix's involvement. It's called copyright infrigement, and allowing it to go on only opens the door for more.

They had nothing to stand on. The project was clearly infringing on Squeenix's intellectual property, and they HAD to issue a cease-and-desist. See, if you don't, it's basically the same as abandoning the copyright in the eyes of US law.

But of course, it's much easier to continue to blame Enix than to actually look at the facts.

squareSOFT
08-28-2005, 06:22 AM
Yes, I will continue to blame Enix. Because I used to think of Squaresoft as more than your typical company, I liked to believe that they cared about their series not because they made them money, but because of what they meant to the people. I fail to see a shred of that in this. Ok, so mabe this had to be stopped. But in such a way? At the very least SE could have issued a minor press release thanking the fans for their devotion and apologizing for this necessity. At least they could pretend they cared.

cookieface
08-28-2005, 07:36 AM
Really? I don't blame Square or Enix or Squareenix. They were just a big company that is responsible by and for many individuals. What they did is just a corporate formality. Like I said, they can neither stop, nor would they have the intrest, in stopping that sort of thing on the internet. Nothing would have happened if the guy had pulled down the site, continued his work, and released the thing from somewhere other than a page download. Heck, people start up illegal rom sites, and little can be done about many of them by the owners of the copyright. And No, I'm not condoning that, just saying that if those people can get away with THAT, what's the big deal with what's basically a 3d fanart of CT? Not much is what.

Dreddz
08-28-2005, 10:38 AM
I think a remake would of been good
But thats just me.........

TheAbominatrix
08-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Yes, I will continue to blame Enix. Because I used to think of Squaresoft as more than your typical company, I liked to believe that they cared about their series not because they made them money, but because of what they meant to the people. I fail to see a shred of that in this. Ok, so mabe this had to be stopped. But in such a way? At the very least SE could have issued a minor press release thanking the fans for their devotion and apologizing for this necessity. At least they could pretend they cared.

So when did they ever show that before? Never. You're delusional and blinded by your thoughts of Square. If you can provide any substance to your thoughts about Square, I'll conceed, but you cant. Square is, and has always been, a company out to make money. As all companies are. It was never a family company, it was never in it only because they loved making games. It's all about profit. Always.

Why should they release a press release for that? Someone is violating their copyrights, they dont need to make excuses or apologize for exercising their rights. It's THEIRS. They can do whatever they want for it, and the fact that they've been 'kind' enough to re-release CT on the PS1 is thanks enough.

Destai
08-28-2005, 02:01 PM
Yes, I will continue to blame Enix. Because I used to think of Squaresoft as more than your typical company, I liked to believe that they cared about their series not because they made them money, but because of what they meant to the people. I fail to see a shred of that in this. Ok, so mabe this had to be stopped. But in such a way? At the very least SE could have issued a minor press release thanking the fans for their devotion and apologizing for this necessity. At least they could pretend they cared.You really dont know or understand anything about the company, do you?

Dignified Pauper
08-29-2005, 03:44 AM
Oh my God... I almost just died when I realized you just NOW figured out about this. Good times.

Vyk
08-29-2005, 05:48 AM
DQ8 is using Toriyama's art style in 3D to a great degree. I think the game would translate well. If SE did it themselves. I've yet to see anything on this project, and only just recently heard about it actually. I heard people making a fuss over some Chrono game I never heard of. Now I see why. It was never official.

Here's my take on this kinda thing. If you want to pay homage to a favorite game of yours, or favorite anything really (fanfics excluded of course). Usually the atmosphere and spirit of what you love is something almost tangible. Think of all the reasons you love something, you can re-create that without flat-out stealing likenesses and names and stuff. They shoulda made an updated Crono Trigger-esque game. Not Crono Trigger itself. Or any symbolance of a sequal. Take the battle system, and the look and feel of the game, and create something original. But that's just my opinion.

TheAbominatrix
08-29-2005, 05:53 AM
Here's pics for anyone else who hasnt seen them.

http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/MagusLair0.jpg
http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/Zombor1.jpg
http://www.playright.dk/screens/chronotriggerresurrection_pc_04.jpg
http://www.planetgamecube.com/media/212816302.jpg
http://www.uk.playright.dk/screens/chronotriggerresurrection_pc_14.jpg

And I do agree with you, Vyk.

G SpOtZ
08-29-2005, 05:59 AM
that's pretty gnarly.

Dreddz
08-30-2005, 12:39 PM
that's pretty cool