PDA

View Full Version : Burning the swag

TheAbominatrix
08-05-2005, 03:59 AM
Alright. I downloaded a game from a torrent, a game which will remain anonymous here. The normal game installation set has 4 discs, and the torrents files are labeled accordingly. However, the instructions file is broken, so I have no idea what to do with them, and thus I have sought the help of you lovely people.

For every disc there are four files: .ccd, .cue, .img, .sub

The .img is, obviously, the biggest one. Do I burn all of these? Is there any way to use them without burning them? And if I burn them, do I just burn them as a data disc, or do I download special burning software for .ccds and .imgs? If I do this, how do I get the rest of the files onto the disc? I downloaded a .ccd burner, and it'd let me burn only the .ccd.

Any help would be appreciated, I'm not the brightest bulb in the socket. Thanks guys.

Shoeberto
08-05-2005, 04:06 AM
Huh, that's a weird setup.

Well, what you have to do is do image burning. What program do you use? It varies a lot between all of them.

If you don't want to burn them, you can use Daemon Tools. (http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/portal.php) It'll set up a virtual CD drive, which you can mount the image files to and run it from your hard drive without needing to burn them.

TheAbominatrix
08-05-2005, 04:11 AM
Well I'm open to any program. I only have a music burner set up here because that's usually all I burn.

I'll check out the Daemon deal, that'd be way more useful. Thank you much, Hsu <3

crono_logical
08-05-2005, 08:23 AM
ccd and cue are almost the same thing, they're just like indexes to tell whatever program you're using how to load the img and sub. Both ccd and cue are provided to allow a wider range of programs to read the image. Personally I'd use ccd in this case, because ccd will use both img and sub, whilst cue will only use the img file. Though in most cases, it doesn't matter because the data in the sub file is unimportant and ignored by programs/games except for the very few rare cases where it's been altered for copy protection schemes. Daemon will probably let you pick between ccd and cue since it can read both.

TheAbominatrix
08-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Daemon worked wonderfully. Much thanks to you both. :skull3:

Shoeberto
08-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Personally I'd use ccd in this case, because ccd will use both img and sub, whilst cue will only use the img file.
Yeah, that was getting me a bit confused. Anytime I've worked with a .cue file, it's always been paired with a .bin. I didn't realize it could be paired with multiple formats.

crono_logical
08-06-2005, 05:34 AM
bin and img are just different names/extensions for exactly the same thing when it comes to CD images :p