PDA

View Full Version : Now I remember...

Sasquatch
08-06-2005, 04:19 PM
Now I remember why I stopped playing this game, and haven't played it for years. Damn Wiegraf. I thought I remembered fighting him one-on-one, then letting him transform and bringing in the rest of my party. But right now, I can't imagine even beating him one-on one. He even has Maintenence on him, I think, so I can't use Break Weapon like I did on Gafgarion. Any tips would be greatly appreciated, as I'm a loser and too lazy to figure it out for myself -- hey, last time I tried that was more than a year ago, and I haven't picked it up since then. Patience isn't a strong point of mine.

I've mastered Knight and Lancer, but that's about all I have. I believe I have Move+2 from Thief, Counter from Monk, and...yeah, that's probably about it, although I'm sure I have some JP in each Job that I haven't spent yet. Oh, and some stuff from Chemist, too.. Right now I'm a Ninja (I like the two-swords because it gives two chances for the Break abilities), but I have what I need to change to anything else, if need be.

Tama2
08-06-2005, 05:53 PM
USe Lancer.

Durai
08-06-2005, 06:35 PM
Setting Counter won't work because Wiegraf attacks from a distance using Lightning Stab.

I always do it the cheap way: over-leveled Ramza as Monk and use Earth Slash. 100% accuracy, usually able to kill Wiegraf in two hits.

Another method, though tedious, is to have Ramza use Guts=>Yell every move, and move out of Wiegraf's striking distance. When Ramza's Speed is maxed out, Wiegraf won't even get a chance to move. Have Ramza use Guts=>Accumulate until his strength is maxed out. Slaughter Wiegraf. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Sasquatch
08-06-2005, 06:55 PM
I was thinking about using Lancer, but his Jump wouldn't do any good because Wiegraf would move before he came down...at least I think he would, I'd have to check on that.

I was also thinking I could put a pair of Rubber Shoes on him so his Lightning stab wouldn't work, but I don't know how effective that'd be, and, well, I don't have any Rubber Shoes. Maybe the White Robe, the armor that cuts all elemental damage by half, depending on if he's a job that can equip it. I'll have to try it a few more times... I've only tried it once so far, and when I did about 70 damage to his 340-something before he killed me, I gave up on it.

Another thing. Short Charge works for spells, summons, Charge, etc. Does it work for Jump?

Tama2
08-06-2005, 11:00 PM
I'll tellin ya. Just Lancer him up. That's how I did it.

Raven Bladewind
08-07-2005, 01:02 AM
I was thinking about using Lancer, but his Jump wouldn't do any good because Wiegraf would move before he came down...at least I think he would, I'd have to check on that.

I was also thinking I could put a pair of Rubber Shoes on him so his Lightning stab wouldn't work, but I don't know how effective that'd be, and, well, I don't have any Rubber Shoes. Maybe the White Robe, the armor that cuts all elemental damage by half, depending on if he's a job that can equip it. I'll have to try it a few more times... I've only tried it once so far, and when I did about 70 damage to his 340-something before he killed me, I gave up on it.

Another thing. Short Charge works for spells, summons, Charge, etc. Does it work for Jump?I dont think lightning stab is elemental

BG-57
08-07-2005, 01:31 AM
Buy 99 X-potions, sell off all Potions and Hi-Potions and equip Auto-Potion. You'll regain 150 HP every time you get hit.

I've successfully used the Yell trick as well as more conventional tactics. Just remember, the higher the levels your characters are, the more punishment they can take.

nik0tine
08-07-2005, 01:32 AM
Im on this fight too, except Wiegrahf isn't the problem, it's Velius. I use Ramza as a Lancer, and I'll have him jump on Wiegrahf. That worked fine for me.

BG-57
08-07-2005, 01:34 AM
Yell/Accumulate carries over to the Velius battle. I killed him in one shot. :eek:

Lord Xehanort
08-07-2005, 02:07 AM
I used Yell and played as a Monk with Guts, Punch Art, Blade grasp (useless in this battle), Two Swords (useless for the first half of the fight), and Move +2. I Yelled until I was getting 6 turns in a row, then stood across the chasm and Earth Slashed every turn to win... then Velius came in, but he got hit by two punches every turn for 120 damage per hit... he didn't last long. Also, having Chakra can help too, since Wiegraf WILL hit you at one point or another... just use it in the middle of a turn chain. The fight isn't hard, just long.

Sasquatch
08-07-2005, 07:08 AM
I got him now. Went with Lancer (Jump) and Auto-Potion (with only X-Potions) and beat Wiefrahf, then had the rest of my guys (an Archer with Jump and Equip Spear, a Wizard with Summon and Move - MP Up, Mustadio as an Archer so he could still Snipe, and Agrias as a Knight and her Holy Knight stuff) come in and kick some ass. Didn't have to resort to Yell/Accumulate, but got the job done.

Thanks y'all.

Tama2
08-07-2005, 10:08 AM
Lancer saves the day once agai.......the 1st time.

Sasquatch
08-07-2005, 08:52 PM
And I'm thinking about ditching Rafa and Malak. Any arguments against?

EDIT: Great. Not this Balk guy is giving me a hard time. First he's got a weapon that's got more range and almost half again more power than anything I have...then he's got a Speed of ELEVEN... That bastard.

I think this might have been where I quit last time I tried to play through it. I remember a couple things from the last couple battles, so I know I've fought them before, and this one, but I don't remember beating this one.

I want that gun, though. I want it.

EDIT AGAIN: Got past that on the second try. Four guys with Jump and a guy with a gun help out quite a bit. But now it's a pain in the ass trying to get those Knights off the plates so I can open the floodgates... I would have just beaten this one, except my one guy that died (which happened to be my Ramza, but whoever it was, if he died for good, I'll start it over) ended up turning into a Crystal right before my Jump landed to kill their last Knight, who wouldn't get off that damn iron plate.

BG-57
08-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Rafa has the best natural stats for a treasure hunter; the lower the Brave, the better the chance a character has of finding a rare item by Move-Find. She makes a killer Chemist/Mediator.

I still have yet to find a use for Malak though. I find both Truth and Untruth too random to be useful.

I keep them both just out of a desire for completion.

Stealing Balk's gun is possible and recommended if you have the patience.

Sasquatch
08-11-2005, 11:30 PM
Alright, next big fight. Balk. What a bugger. I'm sure he wouldn't be too hard, it's just those damn dragon-things he's got with him...Tiamat, Hyudra, and Hydra, plus the Behemoth thing. They'll do Fire Breath (or Bracelet, I guess, since they mistranslated it), which does 3 random Fire things in the target area, but when the target area is two spaces, and you have people in both of 'em, you're screwed, especially when they do 240 or so per hit.

He's got another gun, and so does the Chemist that's with him. I want one of those guns. Or two, or a dozen, depending on how much they sell for, but I need one to start with. I'll see if I can find a way to keep him or his Chemist still for long enough to Steal it, but I don't know how easy that'll be.

He doesn't use a Stone and turn into something else to kick my ass, does he? Oh, that'd suck.

Lord Xehanort
08-13-2005, 02:33 AM
Have Ramza as a Ninja with Martial Arts, Move +2, Punch Art and Blade Grasp... actually... have EVERYONE with Blade Grasp. Also, have some of your allies with Train and doing enough damage to bring the monsters down to critical status. This SHOULD turn them on their master (I never tested that).
Now, have your Ninja-Monk-Samurai blend Ramza run forward on his first turn. His equipment should be a Black Costume, a Thief Hat, and Germinas Boots. He should be able to leap the small chasm and run up to the Chemist and hit him from the side. Dead Chemist. Also, Ramza will draw some fire from Balk (which he will block with Blade Grasp). And the monsters will turn to him as well.
In the meantime, have Orlandu and one of your friends run in from the bottom (across the bridge) and take the Behemoth. They'll draw the white dragon's fire as well, which may miss on all three shots. Take the beasts one at a time, while holding them with Ramza. Kill everything, then swarm Balk.

BG-57
08-13-2005, 03:56 AM
Actually the only thing you need to do to win is to kill Balk. If you're lucky, he'll charge instead of retreating. This is where Math Skills really pay off since you can hit enemies on opposite sides of the board.

BTW, don't bother stealing Balk's gun in the Lost Sacred Precincts battle. You only have a few battles to go before the end of the game.

Despotus
08-13-2005, 04:06 AM
I've a couple of comments and answers to your questions, Ansem. First, inviting a monster using train will turn them into your allies (as guests), however, as they are critical, they'll run away. You'll need to heal them up before they'll do any fighting. Secondly, use Move +3 if you have it. Why settle for +2? :D

Sasquatch
08-13-2005, 07:47 AM
What gives Move+3, and how do I get to it?

BG-57
08-13-2005, 06:01 PM
Bards can learn it for 1000 JP, so only your male characters can learn it. Consider it compensation for not being able to wear perfumes and ribbons.

Lord Xehanort
08-14-2005, 12:20 AM
I've a couple of comments and answers to your questions, Ansem. First, inviting a monster using train will turn them into your allies (as guests), however, as they are critical, they'll run away. You'll need to heal them up before they'll do any fighting. Secondly, use Move +3 if you have it. Why settle for +2? :D

Okay... I knew that they would be critical and would retreat, but that would keep them from killing you, which helps greatly. Balk is the smallest threat compared to the monsters.
Secondly, I had no Bards... I couldn't get Move+3.