PDA

View Full Version : sword fighting

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
08-07-2005, 07:22 AM
what are those people called who get in a group and fight with fake swords? There are some around here but I forgot what they are called, so I cant find them.

Big D
08-07-2005, 07:33 AM
The SCA does a lot of re-enactment fighting, but they wear heavy armour and fight to full contact, using taped rattan blades.

There are a shedload of other medieval/renaissance re-enactment groups that do live steel fighting, though - I'm in one of them. (http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/ordocygni/)

If you're trying to find a group like this, just look for your local SCA barony/shire/kingdom on the internet. They're a worldwide group, so there's bound to be one in your area.

08-07-2005, 08:13 AM
I'll look into that, but i dont think thats what im looking for.

Reles
08-07-2005, 09:23 AM
Fencing? o.O

Peegee
08-07-2005, 09:34 AM
Martial artists?

Asians?

Ninjas?

Samurai?

Wapanese no Otaku?

08-07-2005, 09:43 AM
no, none of that.its just a bunch of people, they usually meet i na park or something, and they swordfight with their own swords. no real swords. usually they are made of pvc pipe or something. the group has a specific naem but i cant remember it.

though I am think ing of enrolling in fencing classes.

Ultima Shadow
08-07-2005, 10:06 AM
I dress up in armour and fight with training swords and sheilds in a park once every week. But the "group" I'm with don't have any specific name. We're just a bunch of people who's meeting up and swordfighting once every week. That's all. However... a few of those I'm fighting with are members of some kind of specific group that I just can't remember the name of... :greenie:

Big D
08-07-2005, 11:29 AM
no, none of that.its just a bunch of people, they usually meet i na park or something, and they swordfight with their own swords. no real swords. usually they are made of pvc pipe or something. the group has a specific naem but i cant remember it.

though I am think ing of enrolling in fencing classes.Fencing has nothing to do with swordfighting like you're thinking of...
SCA fighting is basically about people twaking each other with bamboo swords, axes, spears and whatnot. Some groups use 'real', i.e. steel, weapons with blunt edges. It absolutely rules.

Try hunting through the phone book, looking for WMA groups. WMA is Western Martial Arts, all the old fighting styles developed in Europe. Swords, for instance.

UWAOOOOU
08-07-2005, 11:31 AM
I think he means fencing.

Big D
08-07-2005, 11:57 AM
'Fencing' usually refers to Olympic-style fencing - where the fighters duel with foils. This is pretty far from the more traditional view of swordfighting, where fighters use heavier weapons and a wider variety of styles. There's a world of difference between a whippy foil with no edge, and a bigger sword that lets you slash and strike rather than merely jab.

Resha
08-07-2005, 12:01 PM
WARRIORS!

Laugh at face of Danger
08-07-2005, 12:05 PM
I do sword dancing, that's fun

....til i tripped over sumones sword >.<

08-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Big D is right. I dont mean fencing, fencing is just another thing I want to do. It is like what Ultima Shadow does, but im pretty sure it has a name.

SCA sounds very interesting, but I think I may wait on that, because I dont have any ready transportation to go ANYWHERE, and my foot is still broken.

Ultima Shadow
08-07-2005, 09:08 PM
'Fencing' usually refers to Olympic-style fencing - where the fighters duel with foils. This is pretty far from the more traditional view of swordfighting, where fighters use heavier weapons and a wider variety of styles. There's a world of difference between a whippy foil with no edge, and a bigger sword that lets you slash and strike rather than merely jab.
Yup, that's right. I've actually tried out fencing, too, a few years ago... but I don't like the fact that you'll just have to "touch" your openent with the point on your sword to win. In the swordfighting thing, you'll have to hit HARD, or else the hit won't count. It's more like in a real battle that way. You won't kill anyone by just poking them with a sword, you'll have to actually hit them hard. Even though we're only using bamboo swords (or whatever they are made of) and are wearing armour, you'll have to hit your openent hard enough to make them really "feel the hit". It's the one who's hit who decides whenever the hit was hard enough or not.

If you're hit on the legs, you'll have to keep fighting in a sitting position, if you're hit in your sword-arm, head or thorso etc, then you're "dead". But if you're not hit so hard that, if you were fighting with real weapons and not all that much armour (and in a few cases even WITH that much armour), you would have been either killed or hurt very badly, then the hit shouldn't count. :cool:

Anyways... I still don't have any idea what this kind of fighting actually is called. :greenie:

08-07-2005, 10:07 PM
I dont know what that style is either, but thats not what im looking for. I want to know the name of the group that does it.

08-10-2005, 06:27 AM
I just thought I would try and bump this post back into being. I still havent found out the name of that group. :cry:

-N-
08-10-2005, 06:31 AM
Nerds?

08-10-2005, 06:32 AM
that could be. that word makes me want to buy more paintballs. lots of paintballs.

Hawkeye
08-10-2005, 06:33 AM
Nerds?

The only people who I would win against

XSabinX
08-11-2005, 06:31 PM
Dude i know what you mean. Its a world wide sport. Its called like Daggerhord or something like that. My friend wants me to join it so bad.

Nick Schovitz
08-12-2005, 12:04 AM
Aww naw Y'all don't want to fight me, I bring inverse swords to the field. I'm currently making and selling some, but buisness is slow I've only made two sales in six months.

faster skating penguin
08-12-2005, 12:19 AM
Kendo?

Vyk
08-12-2005, 01:19 AM
LARPs

Live Action Role Players

Kamiko
08-12-2005, 01:33 AM
Nerds?
I was thinking more along the lines of " can't get a jobs' " but that works too!

Discord
08-12-2005, 01:37 AM
I used to do fencing on light-weight sabers, but you wouldn't believe how bad one can be at it. I suppose its just not my thing or it is the instructor that was absent every second lesson. Nunchakus appear to be just soooooo much more useful in everyday life though:)

How about Squall-wannabees? Might be them:D

Jpae33
08-12-2005, 03:37 AM
they're called cosplayers

Azure Chrysanthemum
08-12-2005, 03:46 AM
Boffing. Boffing actually has another, much less kosher meaning, which makes me reluctant to use the term around people in case there is misunderstanding, but if you're refering to the practice of encasing PVC Pipe in foam and going at it, then boffing is the appropriate term.

Garland
08-12-2005, 05:33 AM
www.thehaca.com

sparkie
08-12-2005, 07:46 AM
I thought it was boffering...