PDA

View Full Version : Electric guitar :D

louby_4eva
08-07-2005, 04:51 PM
I'm thinking about picking up an instrument and I'm really interested in the electric guitar, but I don't really know what to get, I've looked around a bit and I don't understand what '3 single coil pick-ups' are or a tremolo system. :confused: So I have a few questions
what is a 3 single coil pick-up and a tremolo system??
Are electric guitars easy to learn how to play or will it take forever??
Which guitar would be best to start me off??
Can anybody here play guitar??
How long did it take you to learn?? :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love:

Rye
08-07-2005, 05:05 PM
I dunno much at all about guitars, but aren't acoustic guitars a bit easier to learn at first?

Slothy
08-07-2005, 05:11 PM
I dunno much at all about guitars, but aren't acoustic guitars a bit easier to learn at first?

Actually some see them as better to learn on since it's harder to press down the strings than on an electric. It helps strengthen the fingers I'm told. I'm not a guitar player however so I can't really answer your technical questions, but buying something like a Fender Squire wouldn't be a bad starter guitar. They're quite cheap, and you can usually get the guitar, a small amp and whatnot for a few hundred dollars Canadian (not sure on an exact price but I think it's in the $500-$700 range).

Pure Strife
08-07-2005, 05:42 PM
what is a 3 single coil pick-up and a tremolo system??
There are single coil pickups and humbuckers, which give different sounds. I don't think it matters much when you're starting out.

Are electric guitars easy to learn how to play or will it take forever??
Took me a good few months to get the basics down. Once you've got powerchords down you can play all kinds of easy stuff and go on from there. If you can find yourself a decent guitar teacher you'll get results pretty quickly, but you need to actually practice to get any good. Guitar is one of those things where you really just have to struggle along at first until your fingers decide they know what they're doing.

Which guitar would be best to start me off??
Like someone else said, a Squier Strat set is cheap (for a guitar), playable and tends to come with all the accessories and a practice amp. Lots of people start with them, or similar.

Can anybody here play guitar??
I can :p

How long did it take you to learn?? :D :D :D
To learn to play basic easy stuff (pop-punk and whatnot) only a couple of months, but to get all the theory and soloing techniques down it's taken me about two and a half years. Damn shredding. It's fun once you get going, it's just a bit difficult at first.

Brian The Pink Shark
08-07-2005, 05:55 PM
ive been slowly teaching myself to play bass guitar for the last two years im not really good though, im better at playing keyboard :choc:

Meat Puppet
08-07-2005, 06:08 PM
yes
powerchords
branding and tremelo etc is just crap when you're starting
p.s. no yamaha

Brian The Pink Shark
08-07-2005, 06:14 PM
get a gibson flying v they are really good guitars :choc:

Spiffing Cheese
08-07-2005, 06:28 PM
If you DO start on an acoustic, don't start with steel strings. 'Cause, man, the KILL their fingers when you're first starting out. :mad:

Meat Puppet
08-07-2005, 06:29 PM
I found it easier starting with electric and then going acoustic
this was a personal problem however
might need squinns opinion on this matter

Buster Sword Strike
08-07-2005, 07:25 PM
get a gibson flying v they are really good guitars

Don't 'cause that guitars for people who are good and need better sound in shows and such. My friend just got one this summer and he's been playing for 3 or 4 years before he thought he was "worth it".

I'm actually just learning, I've been playing for a month, and I'm enjoying some of the practice songs I've been playing lately. Just stick with it.

Don't expect to play all the great songs you know right off the bat or you'll be dissapointed.

Dazed and Confused
08-08-2005, 07:41 AM
shredding is overrated.

Sure, it's damn hard to do (I can do it hehe) but I reckon it sounds bad :(

Oh well, whatever floats your boat

lordblazer
08-08-2005, 07:47 AM

Don't 'cause that guitars for people who are good and need better sound in shows and such. My friend just got one this summer and he's been playing for 3 or 4 years before he thought he was "worth it".

I'm actually just learning, I've been playing for a month, and I'm enjoying some of the practice songs I've been playing lately. Just stick with it.

Don't expect to play all the great songs you know right off the bat or you'll be dissapointed.
most people start off with an acoustic because they want to learn teh fundamentals of a guitar first.If you start off with an electric you'll spend more time playing aorund with it like a toy than playing it .Plus playing acoustic makes the finger tips tougher. Its an easy transition from acoustic to electric. But not vice versa.

Kirobaito
08-08-2005, 09:00 AM

most people start off with an acoustic because they want to learn teh fundamentals of a guitar first.If you start off with an electric you'll spend more time playing aorund with it like a toy than playing it .Plus playing acoustic makes the finger tips tougher. Its an easy transition from acoustic to electric. But not vice versa.
I agree completely. If you want to be a good guitar player, you need to understand what it means to be a player, not just a headbanger or anything like that. This could just be my personal taste in music coming out, but definitely learn to play an acoustic before an electric.

Cz
08-08-2005, 01:52 PM
I started with an acoustic and I think it's helped my playing quite a bit. When you're playing an electric guitar you can cover up bad playing with lots of distortion and fool yourself into thinking you're doing well. Learning on an acoustic will give you a better idea of when you're making mistakes and will let you get the basics down. Then when you're a competent player you can move on to an electric guitar.

louby_4eva
08-08-2005, 06:21 PM
Thanks everyone, I've decided to get an accoustic first and then when I've gotten good-ish and I've got enough money I'll get an electric (a Fender Squier). Also if I decide that guitar isn't my thing I wouldn't have spent loads on an electric one. :D :D :D

Smile and Be happy :love:

Cz
08-08-2005, 06:23 PM
That's a sensible decision. Good luck with your new hobby. :)

Tidus5
08-08-2005, 07:19 PM
You should get a Fender Stratocaster, not a Squier. Ive found that its a little more expensive ($150 i think), but anyone can tell the difference in quality and sound.

Pure Strife
08-08-2005, 07:36 PM
shredding is overrated.

Sure, it's damn hard to do (I can do it hehe) but I reckon it sounds bad :(

Oh well, whatever floats your boat

It's fun to say you can do it, and you can impress the hell out of other guitarists. And if you add a little here and there instead of whoring it it sounds quite nice.

Shockwave Pulsar
08-08-2005, 08:23 PM
Not all shred sounds bad. But there are many shredders that play a same scale or not even know what they're doing but play fast and they give shred a bad name. Shred is often though of a only a way to "show of" but there are some musicians that are actually able to combine shred with melody and it's mindblowing. Litsen to "Cliffs of dover" by Eric Johnson for an amazing example of this melodical shredding. It's a song that's everyone i've showed it to likes (even non musicians) and it's also one of the hardest shredding (and non shredding) pieces i've seen.