PDA

View Full Version : Most 3 important aspects of a game?

Discord
08-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Well...

Chris
08-07-2005, 11:12 PM
For me, personally, it's a combination of the characters and the story.

Shoeberto
08-07-2005, 11:14 PM
- Fun.

That's it, really.

Spammerman
08-07-2005, 11:15 PM
1:Killing hordes of people or things
2:Having cool characters.
3:Playing it.

Cloud No.9
08-07-2005, 11:17 PM
well you need a good story to keep you coming back to it. it's like a good film or tv series. gameplay, it needs to be playable and fun to play. hours of play, it doesn't matter how good it is if you feel cheated out of £40 for a weekend or afternoon of game.

Lionx
08-07-2005, 11:20 PM
The skill it takes to play and the learning curve as well as replay value.

kikimm
08-07-2005, 11:21 PM
Out of the choices on that particular list, I'm going to say the story, the atmosphere, and....controls, perhaps.

There should be a "characters" choice. Whatevar.

:D

-N-
08-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Well, since you said pick three, I won't pick all of them. :p

Lindy
08-07-2005, 11:25 PM
- Fun.

That's it, really.
WINNAH!

krissy
08-07-2005, 11:45 PM
story, music, fun
characters are part of te stry tbo

omnitarian
08-07-2005, 11:47 PM
Fun Factor is the most important aspect, but since it's not on your poll, I had to vote for controls and length (hours of play).

Craig
08-08-2005, 12:11 AM
I chose Controls, hours and atmosphere.

Erdrick Holmes
08-08-2005, 12:14 AM
Storyline, controls, and sounds.

Rye
08-08-2005, 12:45 AM
- Fun.

That's it, really.
WINNAH!

That is most important, but a good story is nice too.

Cz
08-08-2005, 01:07 AM
There's no option for varied gameplay or a decent camera, which are both very important, so I went for controls, hours of play and graphics. Most people would say that graphics don't matter, but I think that the stronger a game's visuals, the more believable the setting becomes and the more involved the player is in the experience. Of course, graphics need to be complemented by strong concepts and controls, but great visuals transform a good game into a brilliant one.

Sepho
08-08-2005, 01:22 AM
- Fun.

That's it, really.

Yeah, I agree with this. I don't spend a whole lot of time analyzing what makes a game fun, and if I did, I'd probably find that it's relative to the game. If it's fun, hand me a controller.

Aphelion
08-08-2005, 01:24 AM
Music, Storyline:Story and Hours of Play.

Music: There's no good game to me without good music. Seriously. You can't possibly think of playing a game listening to a random techno tune in a completely ankward scene (like the death of a main character, for example).

Storyline:Story: I think the atmosphere set by the game has more to do with the music (at least to me), and not from the storyline itself, so I'm picking this one. Anyway, without a tolerable (at least) story, the game will just be...nothing. There's simply NO game without story. Even FFI had a tolerable story, but if there's a game that can't even apply a standard set in the 8-bit era or any of the recent choices of game developers or anyone involved with the production, the game doesn't even deserve to reach the store shelves.

Hours of Play: This "play time" I'm talking about probably applies more to RPGs, because it's kind of hard for an action game to be long...What I mean is, other genres are "straightforward", while RPG have many "breaks of pace": you're walking down some ruins, then you see a powerful monster and barely survive, so you decide to go back and train until you get 10 more levels for your characters...You can't just proceed like you're ready for everything, if you know what I mean...
But anyway: there's no excellent RPG with less than 30 hours. There simply isn't. I'm yet to see an involving plot with well-developed characters last less than 30 hours. Seriously. If a game can't even maintain its story and character development going even for 10 hours of talking and 20 for battling, this game probably is, plain and simple, a bad game. Its gameplay can even be astounding and brilliant: if a RPG can't keep enough hours of play so the player can at least get to know the characters he's using, it is a bad game.

Sorry for the long post. :D

Discord
08-08-2005, 01:41 AM
Talking about the "fun" as a voting option. All of these are the indicators of fun, so it wouldn't make much sense putting 15 options in one:)

Lindy
08-08-2005, 01:46 AM
Different games have different things that make them fun, so you can't define three things under that category.

I wouldn't go looking for story in a Space Shooter, I'd be looking for good controls, a good scoring system and difficulty level.

But if I was playing an RPG, I'd look for story, characters and a good battle system, it wouldn't be a very fun RPG if it was based on what made Space Shooters fun.

It's all relative.

Discord
08-08-2005, 01:55 AM
I'd disagree. For me, storyline is a priority in every game. Even spaceshooters need a good story or they get boring after a short time. Multiplayer is a must in almost every genre, since good games are fun when you make them social too. So I really think that you can get some main points out of it.

Sepho
08-08-2005, 02:02 AM
I gotta tell ya, I think the story is probably about the least important factor in the shooter genre (talking about sidescrollers here, not those fancy FPS) as a whole. They're games designed to provide fast paced fun, not envelope the user in a storytelling experience.

Lionx
08-08-2005, 02:06 AM
Agreed with Timmie, Metal Slug is an awesome game with mediocore story, yet its challenge it provides is extremely good, and thats whats matter.

UWAOOOOU
08-08-2005, 02:07 AM
- Fun.

That's it, really.

Discord
08-08-2005, 02:18 AM
Woha, not true. There's quite a number of Shooters with a reasonable story. Just look at Operation Flashpoint or Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Surely, there are some games that are good and don't have a story at all, but don't get too picky about it:D

Lionx
08-08-2005, 02:21 AM
Yes they do have good story, however they would still be great games without it, and no one really goes for them thinking OMG GREAT STORY! Its all about living and that headshot.

Discord
08-08-2005, 02:38 AM
Maybe. Its often hard to tell if a game got a good story before you actually buy. I think that for Flashpoint story was one of the main pushers, especially in the Resistance addon.

DJZen
08-08-2005, 03:53 AM
For me it's gameplay and nothing else. Want a good story? Read a book. Want eye candy? Watch a tech demo. Want to hear some good music? Here's an idea, listen to some music. I prefer Warlords to many of the games that come out these days. I'd gladly take a game with tight control and crap everything else than yet another game with an overdrawn story, pretty graphics, full orchestral soundtrack, celebrity voice acting, 50 hours of FMV and a cherry on top with piss poor control. I'm sorry, but what separates video games from everything else is the way you interact with them. If that suffers, the immersive experience just isn't there. What's the point of making a game if you're not going to make it fun to play?

Lionx
08-08-2005, 03:59 AM
You mean Xenosaga? xD I treat it more as an interactive Anime though and i liked it.

SomethingBig
08-08-2005, 06:00 AM
Why the bloomin' hell isn't gameplay on that list? Controls, Story, Hours

Meat Puppet
08-08-2005, 07:22 AM
graphics
music
good loading screen

why would you need anything else

Dreddz
08-08-2005, 09:08 AM
- Fun.

That's it, really.

Lindy
08-08-2005, 01:27 PM
Woha, not true. There's quite a number of Shooters with a reasonable story. Just look at Operation Flashpoint or Return to Castle Wolfenstein [lol FPS games]. Surely, there are some games that are good and don't have a story at all, but don't get too picky about it:D

I gotta tell ya, I think the story is probably about the least important factor in the shooter genre (talking about sidescrollers here, not those fancy FPS) as a whole. They're games designed to provide fast paced fun, not envelope the user in a storytelling experience.

Read. Posts.

And you STILL can't disagree, because my point is that everyone's view of fun is relative, you have your idea of games, you know what you want in them, so you ONLY play the games with those factors. But the general concept of fun for one person is nothing like what someone else views as fun, you cannot blanket define fun for a person by just three things, since they'll be looking for different things in different games.

It's like music, someone who likes Metal is not going to be looking for a good rapper in their favourite bands, same way a Hip-Hop fan is not going to be looking for ten minute long guitar solos.

Discord
08-08-2005, 08:51 PM
It's like music, someone who likes Metal is not going to be looking for a good rapper in their favourite bands, same way a Hip-Hop fan is not going to be looking for ten minute long guitar solos.

Exactly! Thats why there are different factors that -you- like and not just one good music selection.

Rengori
08-08-2005, 08:58 PM
RPGs and Adventure Games

Gameplay
Storyline
Controls

Others

Gameplay
Controls
Graphics (the closer to 8 bit, the better)(What? I like old school graphics! You didn't have to worry about enemies on all sides, just front and back, like it should be! Don't give me that look.)