PDA

View Full Version : Overrated and Underrated Games

Guitar Woman
08-08-2005, 11:45 PM
What, iyo, are the most overrated and underrated games ever?

Mine are:
(overrated)
1. FF7 :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
2. Earthbound
3. Halo 2
4. Megaman 1
5. Donkey Kong Country >:

(underrated)
1. Pokemon (Say what you will, but this is a fun RPG. The show made everyone hate it.)
2. Zelda 2 (I love this game and always will. Everyone says it sucks because it's hard. :P)

Slothy
08-08-2005, 11:51 PM
I'll just state my most underrated as I tend to be very vocal about the games I find most overrated, and frankly don't feel like arguing over half of them.

Underrated:
1.Ico

And that's honestly the only one coming to mind right now. I'll be back with more if I can think of any.

Chris
08-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Most Overrated (Not bad, just overrated):

#1 - Final Fantasy VII

Most Underrated:

#2 - Beyond Good and Evil

Vyk
08-08-2005, 11:59 PM
I don't agree that Pokemon is underrated. They usually get good reviews despite how similar to their predicessors they are. Zelda 2 I don't think anyone thinks is a bad game. It just wasn't Zelda 1 enough. Never heard anyone complaining about how hard it is though. But I digress. Ico is a very good choice, but it's always put up on a pedastal. Much like Beyond Good and Evil. Those in the know, know they're good. I'll have to say Xenogears. Even though it says Square on it, I'm surprised more people don't know this beauty. In my opinion its well beyond the XenoSaga games, and even ranks up there with my favorite Final Fantasies. As for over rated... of the games I've played I honestly think FF7 deserves half its praise. Hm... Zelda The Wind Waker. I hated this game... Too quiet and... boring. I guess I was expecting something wonderful like Ocarina of Time (the only Zelda game I've bothered to finish). I hope the next one makes up for it.

Guitar Woman
08-09-2005, 12:02 AM
Man, now I wanna play Xenogears. But I'm broke and I can't buy it. ;_;

And I meant the ORIGINAL Pokemon. With only Red and Blue versions. Not all this new crap.

Chris
08-09-2005, 12:07 AM
You don't wanna buy "Beyond Good and Evil?" :cry:

Guitar Woman
08-09-2005, 12:12 AM
I probably would if I knew anything at all about it.

But alas, I used my $20 Barnes and Noble gift card to get FF9. :(

Hey, did you guys know that BN sells games now? 'Cuz they do. :D

Chris
08-09-2005, 12:17 AM
But alas, I used my $20 Barnes and Noble gift card to get FF9. :(

Don't make it sound so sad! FFIX is a great game.

Guitar Woman
08-09-2005, 12:26 AM
Yeah, but I wish I had been given the thought of Xenogears before I ordered it. That way I wouldn't have any regrets about not waiting.

And Beyond Good and Evil looks OK, but it probably won't work on my computer. ;_;

Craig
08-09-2005, 12:28 AM
I'd say that when Pokemon was really popular, the games were quite overrated.

Guitar Woman
08-09-2005, 12:31 AM
When Pokemon was cool, I never saw anyone playing it on their Gameboy. All I saw was people playing the card game and trading cards and being general fags for Pikachu.

Zeldy
08-09-2005, 12:33 AM
Its like Harry Potter games, i wasted my money and bought chamber of secerets.. I completed it in the same day

Underated
Zelda Oracle Of Seasons/Ages

Overated
Grand Theft Auto

Polnareff
08-09-2005, 12:39 AM
Underated
Zelda Oracle Of Seasons/Ages

Amen to that, Nintendo and Capcom were on the ball with those two Zelda games.

Underrated:

Tech Romancer (great mech fighting game)
Cyberbots (a great 2d mech fighting game)
Armored Warriors (fun 2d beat-em-up with...mechs.... that appeared in Cyberbots a year later)
Egg Mania (fun puzzle game with many modes)
Super Double Dragon (great SNES beat-em-up)
Fatal Fury Real Bout (best Fatal Fury game yet, forget Garou MOTW ;D)

Overrated:

Uh... too many to count, sadly, xD

SomethingBig
08-09-2005, 01:17 AM
Mine are:
(overrated)
1. FF7 :mad2: :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:
2. Earthbound

Underrated
1. Pokemon
Okay, WTF. My brain is being torn out with trillions of knives.

Overrated:
1- MGS 3
2- Both Halos
3- GTA San Andreas
4- FFX

Underrated:
1- Wind Waker
2- Katamari Damacy
3- FFVIII
4- Majora's Mask

Lindy
08-09-2005, 01:36 AM
Actually, Katamari Damacy is very highly rated by pretty much the whole internet and anyone who has ever played it, the sequel proves how successful it was, so I don't see where you're getting the "underrated" concept from.

Same with Ico, massively rated by teh intarweb, and thus we have Wanda and the Colossus or whatever it's called.

FFVIII is very underrated though >=(

ultima88
08-09-2005, 01:40 AM
woh woh woh woh woh !

id have to disagree with yas when it comes to halo & FF7 those 2 games are sum of my FAVORITES, but i do agree that Halo 2 was waaaaayyy overrated, after watching all the trailers, and videos etc, i was soooo excited when i actually got it, but unfortunatly i was sorely dissapointed when i acctually played it, same goes for GTA san Andreas exept it sucked more !

Lindy
08-09-2005, 01:48 AM
Just because they're your favourites, doesn't mean they aren't massively overrated, if anything it would lead to a less objective view of how overrated the games are because of your personal preference.

Rye
08-09-2005, 01:51 AM
FF8 and FF9 are sorta underrated. FF9 is the best FF game, in my opinion. It just has so much magic to it, and it was just plain fun to play. The minigames were actually enjoyable, as opposed to FFX where I would rather bash my head against a door then do the lighting dodger. And FF8 had a good story, just because the battle system wasn't good doesn't mean it wasn't a fun game.

Lindy
08-09-2005, 01:54 AM
Actually, the battle system in FF8 > Story, the story was just a big joke for the most part.

HELO WE CAME FROM THE SAME ORPHANAGE BUT FORGOT 'CAUSE OF GFS LOLZ

Rye
08-09-2005, 01:57 AM
Actually, the battle system in FF8 > Story, the story was just a big joke for the most part.

HELO WE CAME FROM THE SAME ORPHANAGE BUT FORGOT 'CAUSE OF GFS LOLZ

Yeah, that part sucked, I think it was a story cop out. What interested me most about the story was Laguna's part of it, the romance story (because I just can't help it, I'm a girl) and the whole Rinoa's Mom = Laguna's ex lover and all that. And the R = U theory. But FF7 is much better if you enjoy theories.

Lindy
08-09-2005, 02:00 AM
I agree totally with R = U.

Rye = Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/member.php?u=15968)

Rye
08-09-2005, 02:03 AM
I agree totally with R = U.

Rye = Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer (http://www.eyesonff.com/forums/member.php?u=15968)

Dammit, I've been found out!

Slothy
08-09-2005, 02:12 AM
Same with Ico, massively rated by teh intarweb, and thus we have Wanda and the Colossus or whatever it's called.

Ico may have been critically acclaimed but most have never played it. I believe it sold something like 50,000 copies or somewhere in that range. Let's face it, Shadow of the Colossus isn't being made because Ico was a runaway hit. That's the main reason I consider it underrated. So few have actually played it which I consider a shame, since it really was one of the most beautiful, unique, and fun games I've ever played.

Raistlin
08-09-2005, 02:15 AM
Underrated: FFT, Suikoden I, Suikoden II, Suikoden III, Lunar: SSSC.

Overrated: everything else.

Buccura
08-09-2005, 02:21 AM
Most Over-rated
1: Halo 2
2: Halo
3: Final Fantasy VII
4: Grand Theft Auto: San Andres
5: Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
6: Fable
7: Final Fantasy X
8: Final Fantasy X-2
9: Splinter Cell: Pandora Tommorow
10: Doom 3

Most Under-rated:
1: System Shock 2
2: Beyond Good and Evil
3: Thief III: Deadly Shadows
4: Shenmue
5: Final Fantasy IX
6: Wing Commander: Privateer
7: Thief II: The Metal Age
8: Final Fantasy Tactics
9: Eternal Darkness
10: Shenmue II

SomethingBig
08-09-2005, 02:35 AM
Actually, Katamari Damacy is very highly rated by pretty much the whole internet and anyone who has ever played it
I haven't heard much about Katamari Damacy on the interspace, so I always thought that people just shrugged this piece of gold off.

Erdrick Holmes
08-09-2005, 02:53 AM
Overrated:
GTA Games
Most of the Final Fantasys
Halo 1
Metal Gear Solid 2
Mortal Kombat games
Marvel Vs series
Tekken series
Soul Calibur series (I am so fucking sick of these games, SC2 sucked)
Games made by Ubi Soft (Spinter Cell, XIII, Rayman)

Underrated
Final Fantasy Tactics
Suikoden series
Guilty Gear series
Street Fighter series
Sonic the Hedgehog series
Phantasy Star series
Ragnarok online
Xenogears
Final Fantasy III (NES)
Final Fantasy VI
Shining Force 1 and 2
Capcom Vs SNK 2
SNK Vs Capcom
King of Fighters series
Megaman X series

Just fine rated
Halo 2
Final Fantasy VII
Max Payne
Mario games
Sims games
Chrono Trigger

MecaKane
08-09-2005, 03:01 AM
Underrated

Yah, I can't believe how underrated Sonic is! It's only had atleast 3 or 4 TV series, and a billion different squels! God! When are people going to realize how good Sonic is and start REALLY buying it! It so totally deserves one new game in the series every month, anything less than that just won't cut it for me!

Raistlin
08-09-2005, 03:05 AM
That Mario is so underrated.

Buccura
08-09-2005, 03:19 AM
Underrated

Yah, I can't believe how underrated Sonic is! It's only had atleast 3 or 4 TV series, and a billion different squels! God! When are people going to realize how good Sonic is and start REALLY buying it! It so totally deserves one new game in the series every month, anything less than that just won't cut it for me!

XD

Shoeberto
08-09-2005, 03:19 AM
Overrated: Halo, Halo 2
Underrated: Tomba!, Timesplitters, Amplitude, Frequency

Erdrick Holmes
08-09-2005, 03:26 AM
I wasn't talking about TV shows, dork. I was talking about games.

MecaKane
08-09-2005, 03:36 AM
The TV shows exist because the games are so popular.

Erdrick Holmes
08-09-2005, 07:23 PM
Try compairing him with his once arch rival, Mario. Now is he underrated?

I'd also like to point out that almost all sports games are overrated, except for the Tony Hawk games.

Lindy
08-09-2005, 07:27 PM
There are just as many classic Mario games as there are classic Sonic games.

Mario had three TV sereii, Sonic has had more, especially the recent SonicX.

Sonic has had more new games than Mario has, at least we're talking Sonic as the main guy, Mario just gets yet more Mario Party games.

So, by that logic, MARIO is underrated.

Rye
08-09-2005, 07:29 PM
There are just as many classic Mario games as there are classic Sonic games.

Mario had three TV sereii, Sonic has had more, especially the recent SonicX.

Sonic has had more new games than Mario has, at least we're talking Sonic as the main guy, Mario just gets yet more Mario Party games.

So, by that logic, MARIO is underrated.

Mario had his own movie though, don't forget. A live action one.

Lindy
08-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Sonic had a couple of animated movies.

But it is true, he DID lack Bob Hoskins.

MecaKane
08-09-2005, 08:37 PM
Just because Sonic's supposedly less popular than Mario, doesn't mean it's underrated. Just because the games were similar and competitive with eachother back in the 90s doesn't mean they're polar opposites, that if one is higher rated than the other, the other must be underrated.

ultima88
08-09-2005, 11:37 PM
im sorry but iv just got 2 say, how was halo an overrated game ? halo is an unbelivably good game! the story line may not be oh so original but it is still good, the gameplay is excelent and the story mode is made even better by the co-op mode, and talk about multi player ? have u tryd playing a 4v4 or even an 8v8 with ur mates, its unmatched

but i do have to say halo 2 was wwwwaaaaayyy overrated, but i posted about that already

Cloud No.9
08-09-2005, 11:49 PM
gregory horror show is very under rated

Erdrick Holmes
08-10-2005, 12:01 AM
None of that made sence. Halo 1 was overrated yet the gameplay was bland and repetetive. The only god thing I can give it was the sound quality and the weapons. Halo 2 was just plain awesome. The characters, the storyline, the levels, the enemy AI was drastically improved. This thereforce makes Halo 2 just fine rated.

Raistlin
08-10-2005, 01:06 AM
I'd also like to point out that almost all sports games are overrated, except for the Tony Hawk games.
This amounts to "I don't like sports, so all sports games are overrated."

I don't know about others, but Madden football games are fantastically well-done.

Lionx
08-10-2005, 01:51 AM
Overrated: Halo, Warcraft type games, Metal Gear Solids, some Zelda and FFs too.

Underrated: Klonoa games, King of Fighters, Zelda Orcale series, FFT, and FF9

SomethingBig
08-10-2005, 02:59 AM
I'd also like to point out that almost all sports games are overrated
Agreed. Creating 50 football games in 5 years is completely unnecessary. They're all the same. It's not like the sport changes at all, save for a few new players.

Erdrick Holmes
08-10-2005, 03:41 AM
I mean all of these sports games are the same, the only things that change are the players on each team sence they corrispond with the actual year the game was made.

Sepho
08-10-2005, 03:47 AM
And the changes between each iteration of Guilty Gear or Street Fighter are more profound?

Shoeberto
08-10-2005, 03:50 AM
Yeah, that's a pretty good point.

Raistlin
08-10-2005, 04:47 AM
From year to year, sports(specifically, football, since that's really what I play) games change far more than fighting games.

Erdrick Holmes
08-10-2005, 04:49 AM
If you have half a brain you can notice differences between fighting game sequels. Goes the same with sports games. Like "Ohm this player wasn't in this game last year" or "That player plays a bit differently" as well as "This team's player roster had a few players traded to that team".

Raistlin
08-10-2005, 04:54 AM
Not just different players. Different controls. Like last year's Madden had a new feature called "hot-routing." You could change a receiver's route in the middle of a play, as the quarterback. And the hit-stick on defense. And various other things which I've forgotten, because I haven't played in a long time.

But really, football games get massively better every year. I used to be an avid Street Fighter player, and I can't remember any sequel changes which completely changed the dynamics of the game as much as various changes to simulated sports' games have.

Erdrick Holmes
08-10-2005, 05:05 AM
Maybe so. I'd check it out but Icna't be arsed to go get a sports game for any of my consoles.

I'd also like to point out that Blood, and old school DOS FPS game is severly underrated. It's one of the only "gorefest" games that I loved.

SomethingBig
08-10-2005, 05:18 AM
A new control scheme should not warrant 10 new football games per year. I can understand 2 or 3, just so there's competition.

Just to add to the underrated list, Bust-A-Move/Groove doesn't get enough attention.

Polnareff
08-10-2005, 05:34 AM
But really, football games get massively better every year. I used to be an avid Street Fighter player, and I can't remember any sequel changes which completely changed the dynamics of the game as much as various changes to simulated sports' games have.

There were enough sequel changes to make the SF games different, such as character balance, normal and special move attributes, and the like, so certain characters will not play the same in the sequels (case in point: Guile and Ryu).

SF has evolved many times over the course of its history, as has the Madden series.

For instance, with every new iteration of SF, Capcom is basically just testing the balance of their games, and testing to see if the game will sell well (which is what they did with the first SF3 and the first SFA).

That way they can listen to player feedback about the games and make them better. I know it sounds funny, but look at the changes between each iteration of, say, Street Fighter Alpha.

Also, the graphic style along with the gameplay style COMPLETELY changes in every SF series. SF1 was the start. It was pretty good, although SF2 whoops it. SF2 was sorta barebones compared to SFA, since SFA had all these added gameplay elements (Alpha counter, lvl 2 and 3 supers, air block).

SF3 moved the series forward yet again, adding parrying, red parrying, dashing, a less abusable throw system, universal overhead moves, EX moves, and more. Not to mention the more beefy fighting system, new characters, and more fluid graphics.

So to say that SF hasn't evolved that much is kind of a hasty comment.

But in your defense, Madden has evolved tremendously, from the first game to the last. For starters, since its first iteration, the game has become more fluid, responsive, and lifelike. The controls have been revamped, and the general atmosphere of the game is more like a football game than the other ones.

Add to that the fact that Madden gets a new feature in each one of its games every year, like the hot-routing Raistlin just mentioned.

I don't have much else to say 'cause I'm not much of a sports game player (but I do own a whole chunk of the Madden lineup).

....I probably just wasted my time typing that since you guys seem to have it all in check now >_>;;

I forgot some more underrated games:

Vectorman (the amount of hate this game seems to receive is incredible :O )

Two Crude Dudes

Pocky and Rocky

Ehrgeiz

Fatal Fury Special

Puzzle Bobble 4

Snowboard Kids 2

Space Station Silicon Valley

lordblazer
08-10-2005, 10:32 AM
Overrated:Halo,Halo 2

Underrated: Morrowind.

Discord
08-10-2005, 10:46 AM
Overrated:

- Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3

Underrated:

- Aquanox 2: Revelation
- Comanche 4

KuRt
08-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Overrated:
Sims series
GTA San Andreas
Splinter Cell series
FF X-2
MGS 2

Underrated:
All Megaman Games, no matter how much they are rated:D
My brain just shut down, I canīt think of anything..

SomethingBig
08-10-2005, 07:57 PM
Overrated:
FF X-2
How can it be overrated when few people thought well of it?

Lindy
08-10-2005, 08:00 PM
Somebody is confusing overhyped with overrated.

FFX-2 had widespread media coverage, y'know, even TV adverts.

SomethingBig
08-10-2005, 08:01 PM
Ok, wtf. America gets, like, 1 commercial for each FF. I don't think I even saw a commercial for FFX-2.

Lindy
08-10-2005, 08:02 PM
The TV commercials were spammed over everywhere, I remember seeing them with increasing frequency the day before the game was released, Xander and I giggled each time we saw how silly the advert was.

SomethingBig
08-10-2005, 08:03 PM
The only things of FFX-2 I saw were on some fan-site. And a hentai site. But that's for another thread.