PDA

View Full Version : True romance in and out of the workplace

Big D
08-09-2005, 05:36 AM
What d'you reckon...

Would it be better to be involved with someone you work with, or someone who's not a colleague?

I reckon there are good arguments both ways.

True romance in the workplace: This boosts the chances that you'll have common interests. Especially if you're in a profession or career, rather than a casual job. Also, you get the advantage of seeing each other during the day, and perhaps commuting together, if you live together or nearby.

True romance out of the workplace: Less chance of over-exposure - i.e, seeing someone so often you get tired of it. Also, workplace gossip and politicking will have less interference in your relationship. Less chance of conflicts of interest with regard to promotions or discipline. Also, you'd have more to talk about at the end of the day - because you've both been doing something completely different for the last eight hours.

I reckon that either approach could work. Nothing should be able to get in the way of a compatible couple... but the various plusses and minuses are interesting to ponder.

Opinions?

eestlinc
08-09-2005, 05:39 AM
you should keep work and love separate.

Hawkeye
08-09-2005, 05:39 AM
If it was in the work place, and the relationship failed, there would be that wierd vibe in the air every time your would come into work. I dont think I would want to deal with that, though on the other hand, thats probably a great place to meet a girl, or guy, but I guess there's just too many risks involved, when you got the alternate road of just going to the mall and asking a girl.

Me personally, I like to ask girls whom Ive known for a while, cause it lets me see what their intrests are over time

Orestes
08-09-2005, 05:41 AM
I've dated two girls that I worked with - both relationships ended horribly. They're actually the two that cheated on me, so I kind of favor relationships outside of the workplace.

Of course those were relationships I had when I workerd at McDonalds, so you have to take that into consideration. I like working with professionals now.

eestlinc
08-09-2005, 05:43 AM
and professionals don't mix romance with work.

Yamaneko
08-09-2005, 05:45 AM
What about if she works with you part-time? Is that like a little from column A and a little from column B?

eestlinc
08-09-2005, 05:49 AM
tell her to quit and get a new job so you can get it on

Big D
08-09-2005, 05:53 AM
and professionals don't mix romance with work.I dunno, if you're in a job where you work full-time, you'll inevitably get to know some of your colleagues quite well. Under those circumstances, things can happen without you actually realising it until it's too late.

Heh. In Legal Ethics, they spent a while teaching us about the precautions you have to take in dating another lawyer, either from the same firm or from a different one. "Pillow talk" about what happened at the office could quite easily breach confidentiality. But then, a little responsibility and discretion can avoid problems like this.

While it'd be difficult if anything went badly wrong, it could be positive to live with someone who shared and understood your work and your ambitions.

eestlinc
08-09-2005, 05:57 AM
but being romantically involved with someone at work is absolutely going to detract from your work. If you work in completely different areas and have no interaction at work it can be ok, but then it's hardly like you work together anyway. It's always best to keep your personal life and desires in check while working.

Shlup
08-09-2005, 06:29 AM
I've never been in the situation but it sure sounds fun.

udsuna
08-09-2005, 06:47 AM
Work is one of my favorite places to meet girls. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't (well, all eventually have failed thus far)... never had any discomfort in the post-relationship situation, though. I've never understood that... how everything just changes like that for so many people. I used to think it was only people who have trouble letting go... I dunno... just doesn't happen to me. Nor has it ever "distracted me from work"... if anything, I work BETTER... that way I can get done sooner and spend more time with my new love interest.

However, you do need to stay professional about it all. I'd advise a slow, casual, eventual developement. In other words, save the wild romps in the sack and impromptu declarations of undying devotion until at least a few weeks into the relationship. :D

-N-
08-09-2005, 07:02 AM
I almost hooked up with some girl from my workplace last summer, but then my morals started slapping me in the face. I got rid of them the following semester.

RSL
08-09-2005, 01:09 PM
There is only one female working where I work and she is in her 50's, so I'll never get the chance to test this out unless I change jobs.

However, I don't see anything wrong with seeing someone you work with as long as you don't let it get in the way of your work.

Kawaii Ryűkishi
08-09-2005, 01:16 PM
Oh, I'm certainly all for it.

Loony BoB
08-09-2005, 01:27 PM
You have to be careful when you bring true romance into the workplace because you could end up with a Monumental Breakdown in Staff Protocol.

Rye
08-09-2005, 01:48 PM

Yeah, I agree. My parents both met at work though.

RSL
08-09-2005, 01:50 PM
I love you BoB.

Zeldy
08-09-2005, 01:52 PM

Yeah, definately.

My Mums bestfriend was close to my dad's sister. So she introduced them to each other and.. uh.. me and my brother came along

rubah
08-09-2005, 06:49 PM
My parents didn't work together, but they still got together because of their jobs.

Dad would be on break at Conagra when mom came by to fill vending machines xD

So I guess it could work.

-N-
08-09-2005, 07:13 PM
You have to be careful when you bring true romance into the workplace because you could end up with a Monumental Breakdown in Staff Protocol.xDDDDDDDDDDD

Shattered Chest
08-09-2005, 07:26 PM
I have such a crush on my coworker, and so I was wondering about this. I still don't have any answers, though. I have my last day of work tomorrow anyway, so I'll probably never see him again. ;_;

disapointedchild
08-09-2005, 07:33 PM
Its risky terrain, for people to enter in a relationship, with someone at work, could lead to many biased situations. Especially if one of the persons involved hold some sort of seat of power. I say keep buisness, and pleasure, seperate. Always.

Levian
08-09-2005, 11:24 PM
I was pretty close to find out :D But she got fired for not showing up at work twice. We've planned to move in together in a year or so, but I don't know if that will happen. A lot can happen in a year. We're not moving in now because I'm going to the army and she's moved away to go to school.

And good call by making this thread in General Chat, Big D.

Mr. Graves
08-10-2005, 03:32 AM
I'd rather not mix business with pleasure. Just something I'm not really all that compy with.

Silmaril
08-10-2005, 04:16 PM
I think they should be kept seperate coz proffesional jealousy wrecks relationshiops badly.

Mercen-X
08-10-2005, 07:18 PM
If I were the boss, I'd do things might qualify at first as sexual harassment, just to push her lines. Once I got her in the red, I'd find a way to make her truly like me. Maybe, just maybe, I'd learn to like her too. :lol:

Peegee
08-10-2005, 09:43 PM
What are you guys, too young to know any better? Oh wait...

Anyway women wield irrational power in the office, in media..anyway, in the office. If she is mad at you or God help you if she was dumped, or hell, if she just feels like it, she can ruin your career by sabotaging you silently (behind your back).

That and they are insanely strict about sexual abuse/etc in the office. Again benefitting the woman.

Better find fish elsewhere. Also document document document! If ever accused, have evidence instead of hearsay/your word against hers.