PDA

View Full Version : VII before X?

karatehero
08-09-2005, 02:02 PM
I was just curious, does anyone else see the possibility that FFX happened after FFVII?

I mean, I know there is all that 'limitless energy' talk and all that. Maybe they just found something that was long lost. Like, maybe Mako was already around and the knowledge was lost. Something like 1000 years later, Zanarkand was born. Some time after that, Sin was born. 1000 years later....well you get the point.

I off-topiced this in another thread and decided I should start a new one. Sorry.

BizzerocitY
08-09-2005, 05:20 PM
Well, chronologically speaking it goes 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10...

karatehero
08-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the tip, I forgot how to count.

No one ever said how time flows versus the way the games are numbered. 1 could happen way in the future. 10 could be way in the past.

SammieBabe
08-09-2005, 06:40 PM
I was under the impression that all the games happened on different worlds.....?

tomamar04
08-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Maybe eventually, there will be a conclusion that shows that all the games are connected.

Mirage
08-09-2005, 08:40 PM
They just added that for a funny FF7 reference, don't take it too seriously. All FF games have references to other FF games, except FF1 ofcourse. Don't

boys from the dwarf
08-09-2005, 08:44 PM
FF games have references but none of them are to be took so seriously its just in there to make people think all "wow i remember this"and stuff but its never ealy important.

Bomber
08-10-2005, 07:04 AM
All FF games have references to other FF games...
Case in point:
Zidane from FF9 makes a reference to Cloud's Buster Sword (FF7). But supposedly FF9 happened in an earlier time period than FF7 (look at costumes and language used).

Tidus5
08-10-2005, 07:22 AM
I was just curious, does anyone else see the possibility that FFX happened after FFVII?

I mean, I know there is all that 'limitless energy' talk and all that. Maybe they just found something that was long lost. Like, maybe Mako was already around and the knowledge was lost. Something like 1000 years later, Zanarkand was born. Some time after that, Sin was born. 1000 years later....well you get the point.

I off-topiced this in another thread and decided I should start a new one. Sorry.

Its fun to entertain the thought though. It would be wild if it ended up there was some kind of huge SE plot-connecter thingy going on.

karatehero
08-10-2005, 01:41 PM
I was kinda wondering if thats what they were trying to do with Kingdom Hearts.

Although, having people that died in other games (Aeris) kinda shot that idea in the foot.

Yuna Braska 19
08-12-2005, 05:39 AM
I understand that it goes 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 10-2 11
But in FF9 that was in the old in days and would that behide 7?
I don't get it?

Tensa Zangetsu
08-14-2005, 06:26 PM
Shinra - Shin-ra

^_~

Zanius
08-14-2005, 07:06 PM
A relationship between them could exist, but not likely, because I think that all the FF games are related with different worlds and times as well, I don't believe that could be a connection between them.

There's just one thing about almost all of them that could match:

- Like the entities that are called to fight the enemies. For example... in the FF X and X-2 are called the aeons, and on FF 8 are called the Guardian Forces.

- Also the fighting style like using swords, daggers, or some other projectile weapons. They are not too different from each other.

- There are always warriors or sorceress with black mage and white mage skills.

Those simple details could be a bound between almost all the FF game series, but I don't think that the stories could have a connection (at least beyond than that…)

Maybe someday the people of Square could create some Ultimate Final Fantasy that could establish a relationship between all the FF series... but I don't think this could happen anyways.

SammieBabe
08-14-2005, 07:48 PM
The only direct correlation I've noticed beyond name and weapon references is the basis of the story... A group of mostly young people wanting to save a dying planet...

Master Quan
08-14-2005, 09:07 PM
I understand that it goes 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 10-2 11
But in FF9 that was in the old in days and would that behide 7?
I don't get it?

What makes you think "the olden days"? The decor? The lack of technology?

Well colour me astonished!

If we all go to an African village, it's like a TIME PORTAL!!!!

Dreddz
08-15-2005, 01:02 PM
:o
I made a thread about all them being connected......

liamo
08-15-2005, 02:55 PM
there will always be references to other final fantasy games in final fantasy games but they themselves are unique worlds and not prequels or sequels with the exception of final fantasy 10-2 (thanks Squeenix i really hate you now) don't look to far into it. they can be funny to see the connections but don't take it to far.

Masamune·1600
08-15-2005, 02:58 PM
The theory that all Final Fantasies are directly connected is, at least presently, impossible. As to a connection between FFVII and FFX/X-2, it is inescapably false that the games take place on the same world. Gaia and Spira are different planets. However, Kazushige Nojima, who wrote scenarios for the games in question, suggested in an interview that "in (his) mind" the games were connected. Ostensibly, the descendents of Shinra eventually travelled through space to Gaia, having been unable to harness the potential power of the Farplane. Hence, we got Shinra (the company) and Mako reactors and such. Daisuke Watanabe and Motumo Toriyama (the Scenario Planner and Director for FFX-2, respecitvely) also seemed to agree with the idea in the interview, although neither really had anything to do with FFVII.

This has basically led to a debate whereby some people fervently argue for direct storyline connection between VII and X/X-2, while others (myself included) oppose the idea. From my point of view, the Farplane energy scene in FFX-2...

Shinra: Aha...

Yuna: What are you looking at?

Shinra: Farplane data. The more I study it, the more fascinating it gets. There's limitless energy swirling around in there.

Yuna: Limitless energy?

Shinra: The life force that flows through our planet...I think. With a little work, we could probably extract the energy in a useable form.

Brother: Sweet!

Shinra: Of course, that'd take generations.

Brother: That's no fun!

Buddy: Well, still, it is something worth shooting for.

Yuna: Think how much Spira would change if we ever got it to work! Maybe one day we could build a city full of light, one that never sleeps!

Shinra: No doubt about it.

Yuna: Just imagine! But I'll never get to see it...will I...

(Shinra shakes his head no)

Brother: Shinra! Don't make Yuna sad!

Shinra: Right. My bad.

...is merely referential. Few people, after all, suggest that the story of Josef being utilized in FFIX (for example) proves direct correlation to FFII. Were it left as mere reference, I would have greatly enjoyed the scene. Unfortunately, Nojima himself (who is, admittedly, an authority in the topic) suggests that this indicates connection.

That being said, there are a number of factors that would seem to deny connectivity. First, Nojima was not the sole agent involved in the development of the story of FFVII. Hironobu Sakaguchi, Tetsuya Nomura, and Yoshinori Kitase were also instrumental in leading FFVII to its ultimate plot. Nomura and Kitase, incidentally, are both very active in the Compilation, and neither has offered any real support of Nojima's personal reading. It will require their approval (or at least acceptance)i of the idea for it to be included in the Compilation. If there is nothing canonical (basically, in the games) to truly indicate the connection, then it does not exist.

Further, given the differences and inconsistencies between Gaia and Spira, it would take a massive amount of effort to even begin to close the plotholes and inconsistencies such a link would create. The Compilation is about FFVII, not FFX/X-2, and it seems unlikely that the subject could be given full treatment within the Compilation. Even if that were done, some inconsistencies are so radical that I don't think they can be explained away effectively.

And, finally, Shinra's descendents travelling to Gaia and intermingling with the Cetra, or something on that order, simply strikes me as bad storytelling. But then again, that's simply my take on the debate. Until the Compilation itself is available for examination, the question has no true answer.