PDA

View Full Version : It is time! NZers, converge!

-N-
08-09-2005, 06:24 PM
My Study Abroad application is due in about a month or so, and so I need your help to make the final decision. I've asked here and there, and I've gotten responses here and there, and of course I can't remember them now. So, I need you to help me decide where (in NZ) to study abroad from January to May 2006.

Option 1. Auckland, NZ - on the North Island of NZ. From what I've been told, it's a large city, bustling with activity and nightlife, and the university is huge. They have a class in Engineering Control Theory, which will be a huge factor in deciding.

Option 2. Christchurch, NZ - on the South Island of NZ. From what I've been told, it's a secluded area and very beautiful. The university is also huge, but I don't know how its size relates to the size of the city. I didn't see a Controls course when I was looking at their online catalog.

Other options: I know there are a few other major universities in NZ, but our engineering department has the strongest ties with these two, so in other words, if I had to apply to any other universities, I'd have to actually put effort into the application, which is out of the question.

I've given the brief descriptions so far - of course, I remember hearing mroe vague statements about how Auckland is this and Canterbury is that, but I can't remember them all. I know you're out there, so help me out with your Kiwi knowledge. Don't just vote, provide support for your choice, tell me about both, give me the info, etc etc.

Go.

eestlinc
08-09-2005, 06:27 PM
so basically this comes down to Big D vs Calliope. I hope they settle it in a knife fight.

WildRaubtier
08-09-2005, 06:30 PM
Effort is a silly thing. We can't have THAT catching on.

Lindy
08-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Knife fights are so passe, I hope they call upon the spirits of their ancestors from four thousand years ago to battle it out in an epic struggle for Neel's soul.

-N-
08-09-2005, 06:44 PM
In case BoB doesn't post in here...
[10:41:13] Loony_BoB> NEEL
[10:41:18] Loony_BoB> FOR THE LOVE OF GOD
[10:41:20] Loony_BoB> GO TO AUCKLAND
[10:42:13] Loony_BoB> Auckland = Nicky (Calliope), Mike (o_O) I think, Kelly (Rinoabella), Jewels (Jewels), Tammy (Sakura Yume) and probably more by now.

edit:
[10:45:43] Loony_BoB> No matter what they tell you about Christchurch being the superior nature type place, Auckland has just as much of it. They only talk about Christchurch having a nice view because, well, that's all it's got. Auckland has that and a lot more.
[10:46:05] Loony_BoB> Sports you'll be fine either way, really. Christchurch and Auckland both have a lot of sports going on.
[10:46:34] Loony_BoB> Outdoor sports you're probably better off in Christchurch only because you'd be closer to Queenstown, which is the outdoor 'extreme' type sports capital of the world.
[10:47:59] Loony_BoB> Multicultural center = Auckland, easily.
[10:48:21] Loony_BoB> You're more likely to get a broadband connection there, too. heh.
[10:49:40] Loony_BoB> But yeah, it's hard to say between Auckland and Christchurch because NZ is big on rivalries, and, as the big city, everyone has a rivalry with Aucklanders.

eestlinc
08-09-2005, 06:45 PM
in other words you can hang out with a bunch of people that never post anymore!

Doomie
08-09-2005, 06:47 PM
The one with Big D

Lenna
08-09-2005, 07:07 PM
Ahahaha, check me out, I'm Lenna!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auckland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christchurch

That's about as unbias as you'll ever get. I'm going to try to be unbias as well. Although it's hard, because I was born and bred in New Zealand. It's bloody hard to find someone unbias, as if you're an Aucklander, you love Auckland - and if you're not an Aucklander, there's the whole rivalry thing that says that Auckland sucks. :p NZ is full of friendly rivalries, but we're always very loyal to our home cities/towns.

You have great people in both places. I think Big D lives in Christchurch, as well as my super-awesome ever-favourite cousin, Sus (who knows quite a few EoFFers through LJ - her name is psycho_devli). In Auckland, you have Nicky (Calliope), Kelly (Rinoabella), I think Mike (o_O) lives there, not sure about jc, and Jewels (Jewels) and Tammy (Sakura Yume).

Both places have beautiful scenery, too. Lots of massive parks in both cities, the ocean (on both sides for Auckland). In Auckland you're more likely to find lush mountains and hills and forests (Waitakere, aka West Auckland) while in Christchurch you're just a drive away from the Southern Alps - the highest mountain range in Australasia, with all the snowsports. Christchurch is closer to Queenstown, the capital of outdoor sports covering everything from bungee jumping to jetboating to wakeboarding to snowboarding. Auckland on the other hand never has any snow and is 2-3 hours further from mountains where you'll find it, but it's obviously got the more temperate climate because of that. Auckland is far more multicultural than any other city I've lived in, and this means that it has all the touristy things going on for it. It's also close enough to Tauranga, Rotorua and Taupo (just above Mount Doom/Ruapehu), which are the other big tourist spots. The South Island's tourist spots are based on cold weather (Queenstown and the Alps) as well as nature (Alps, again, and Fjordland, one of the most beautiful rainforests you'll ever see... although I've yet to go there :(). But no matter how much South-Islanders brag on about their nature, don't think that it doesn't exist in the North Island. It's everywhere in New Zealand, even in Auckland City itself. The nature in New Zealand is beautiful no matter where you go. God, I love that.

Oh, and if you're into sailing, then Auckland should be noted to be known as the City of Sails - more boats per people than any other city in the world. :p

I'm only guessing here, but I've always just assumed that Christchurch has more history to it. But after living in the UK, any European-style history in NZ seems silly. The maori sites can be found up and down the country anyway, so you'll never run away too far from them. Rotorua and Taupo would probably be the most famous places for that sort of thing, and maybe Waitomo.

They're about equal distance from Wellington, so unfortunately we can't just say "oh this one's better because it's so far away from that dumbass capital city." :D

in other words you can hang out with a bunch of people that never post anymore!
Auckland: Calliope, Meat Puppet, o_O, Jewels - all active posters. And even if they don't post as often anymore, Kelly and Tammy are still well known members of EoFF and, if they remember princeofdarknez here, would probably be more than happy to meet him if he comes over. They're awesome.
Christchurch: Big D.

:D

Loony BoB
08-09-2005, 07:13 PM
Yeah I agree with Lenna, she knows the score. ;)

EDIT: But seriously, I think that it tends to be "If you want a city life, to go Auckland. If you want a quieter life, go to Christchurch." I honestly think that Auckland is the best place to go for tourists because they can get everything that Christchurch has to offer and then they can have more. The only thing that CC has that Auckland doesn't is the quieter lifestyle. But if you want that... why travel overseas? It seems a bit of a waste in my opinion.

The bigger questions should be more "What kind of place are you after?" Also, "What kind of lifestyle do you have right now, and where do you live?" Comparisons are pretty important. I mean, my cousin would come up to Auckland and think it's so damned busy - but I think it's fine. I would imagine someone from L.A. or London would find Auckland has a fairly laid back lifestyle, and would find Christchurch to be either an insanely nice getaway - or else a complete bore.

Big D
08-10-2005, 12:51 AM
Christchurch: VASTLY lower cost of living (electricity, rent, food). Cheaper petrol. The country's best and cheapest public transport. Less traffic congestion. Less crime.
Great university, too - it's all on the one campus, so there aren't the same commuting hassles you get at other unis.

Mitch
08-10-2005, 07:34 AM
If your into live music, arts and big big big cities then go for Auckland

However, Big D is right about ChCh.... much cheaper, nicer, less polluted, less bums etc.

Go for Christchurch Mitch says

Meat Puppet
08-10-2005, 08:41 AM
Go for Auckland, you'll find Meat Puppet nowhere else.

There's sure to be other reasons, but mostly Meat Puppet.

escobert
08-10-2005, 09:12 AM
I've been to both an want to go back so if you do Neel I'll come visit! Auckland though.

Mitch
08-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Jafa's, typical

lordblazer
08-10-2005, 10:13 AM
MY sister is doing study abroad also

fall semester in canada and spring semester in London.

Mookies
08-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Who says bums are bad.

You can always fly down to chch wenava you want.

But It doesn't really matter because there are $2 shops everywhere.

*wah i want cool airnz planes when flying around nz wah*

Loony BoB
08-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Jafa's, typical
The person who posted above you was American and therefore gave the most unbias opinion so far. :D

Typical people living outside Auckland, resorting to the same old insult because they can't come up with anything bettter. ;D

Rusty
08-10-2005, 12:48 PM
I say Auckland because the enie meanie minie mo said so.

Olliey2k
08-10-2005, 03:19 PM
I spent some time in both cities, and found Christchurch to be a much, much more relaxing inviroment, Good for study ^^ Auckland is more of a party town, i would preffer to head there for a holiday, but couldn't imagine living there.

Loony BoB
08-10-2005, 03:23 PM
I spent some time in both cities, and found Christchurch to be a much, much more relaxing inviroment, Good for study ^^ Auckland is more of a party town, i would preffer to head there for a holiday, but couldn't imagine living there.
Auckland is only a 'party town' if you're going there as a tourist or if you're going there to party. If you live in the suburbs, it's just like any other city. I never went to any parties and I lived there for 18 years. :p Again, it's all relative in that area - it depends on what you're used to. I'd imagine an American who lives in a big city would see Auckland as laid back, but if they lived in a smalltown they'd see Auckland as a big rushed place. It's all about what you're used to in that regard.

Auckland isn't that much hustle-bustle. But I suppose if you're going to Uni, you'd likely be in the city center and that's where it's all going on. Once you head out of the city center, though, it's just like any other suburban lifestyle you could imagine.

Olliey2k
08-10-2005, 03:26 PM
Hehe, i guess so >.< I generalise way too much :/

-N-
08-10-2005, 05:29 PM
A few more questions about the country:
1. Drinking age?
2. Legalized drugs?
3. WHY OH WHY IS YOUR FIRST SEMESTER IN THE FIRST HALF OF THE YEAR I KNOW IT MAKES MORE SENSE BUT WAAAAHH ANYWAYS ;_;
:p

Meat Puppet
08-10-2005, 06:06 PM
1. 18
2. yes
3. yes

Big D
08-10-2005, 10:28 PM
A few more questions about the country:
1. Drinking age?
2. Legalized drugs?
3. WHY OH WHY IS YOUR FIRST SEMESTER IN THE FIRST HALF OF THE YEAR I KNOW IT MAKES MORE SENSE BUT WAAAAHH ANYWAYS ;_;
:p1. 18
2. Only "herbal party pills"
3. 'Cause everyone starts school at the end of summer. In America and other northern countries, this means you start mid-year. Here, it means you start in February.

Mitch
08-11-2005, 05:27 AM
3. Becase we're cooler that you. FACT

-N-
08-11-2005, 06:37 AM
if they remember princeofdarknez here, would probably be more than happy to meet him if he comes over. They're awesome.prince of who? :o

Jewels
08-11-2005, 06:57 AM
Definitely come to Auckland if you like the busier lifestyle. I dunno, in Auckland there's more to do than anywhere else in NZ, specifically at night.

Mitch
08-11-2005, 07:51 AM
Definitely come to Auckland if you like the busier lifestyle. I dunno, in Auckland there's more to do than anywhere else in NZ, specifically at night.

Wellington is pretty happening...

escobert
08-11-2005, 08:05 AM
Yeah I liked Wellignton. :D

Loony BoB
08-11-2005, 09:04 AM
Wellington is great if you like words that start with W. Like windy, wet weather. And wan- er... uh... weirdos. :)

Big D
08-11-2005, 11:50 AM
Wellington's like Auckland, except with more character and less of an attitude. It's great.

Loony BoB
08-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Wellington's like Auckland, except with more character and less of an attitude. It's great.
You're more bias than I thought. :(

If you want character, go to Auckland. With every culture on Earth living together, it's a brilliant place to meet all sorts of people. Wellington does have some good points, but nothing that makes it any better than Auckland ...unless you're into politics.

Big D
08-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Someone explaining why their city is good:
"This city is great because it has blah blah and blah"

Aucklander explaining why Auckland is great:
"This city is great because it has everything blah blah, which is better than everywhere else because they suck because of blah".

That is what everyone notices about "the typical JAFA mindset.:p

I've been in Auckland plenty of times, I like the place, I just don't think it's the best this country has to offer.

Loony BoB
08-11-2005, 12:43 PM
Someone explaining why their city is good:
"This city is great because it has blah blah and blah"

Aucklander explaining why Auckland is great:
"This city is great because it has everything blah blah, which is better than everywhere else because they suck because of blah".

That is what everyone notices about "the typical JAFA mindset.:p

I've been in Auckland plenty of times, I like the place, I just don't think it's the best this country has to offer.
I've said it many times in this thread - it's all relative to what you're used to, and what you want. If you're wanting to live in a quiet place, go to a quiet place - hell, go to Massey University, Palmerston North campus. It's a brilliant Uni, from what I've been told. But if you're coming in from overseas, I'm quite confident that Auckland will better suit anyone who is used to living in a city. However, as I've also said, if you're into the adventure / outdoor sports lifestyle, head to the South Island (Otago or Christchurch). But if you're a modern-life kind of person, Auckland is the best bet, and they're so used to people from overseas (at least when I was there), and the chance to interact with so many different cultures is awesome. My friends included Americans, Canadians, Thai, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, South African, German, English, Dutch, Maori, Samoan, Fijiian, Tongan, Cook Islanders and Croatians. All pretty much in the same group. Throw in the Australian teacher? :D Awesome fun.

It is all down to what you're used to and what you're after, but 'character' and 'attitude' aren't something that Auckland, Christchurch or even Palmerson North are lacking in.

EDIT: And as for "the typical JAFA mindset" - Well, calling an Aucklander a "JAFA" is exactly what I mean about typical non-Aucklanders. ;) At least we don't label you with such things. ;)

Big D
08-11-2005, 12:59 PM
'Cause we are diverse and cosmopolitan and simply unlabelable. You fullas are all the same, though;p

No, back to seriousness...
Both Christchurch and Wellington offer the attraction of a large city; Christchurch, as the smallest of the three, does it in the most compact and accesible manner. Also, since it doesn't have the same kind of sprawling CBD of anonymous concrete edifices, it's easier for a casual visitor to appreciate the visual side of the city's history. The truly historic buildings in the heart of the city, right next to the "English" touches like the boat sheds and bridges across the Avon. As far as history and culture are concerned, Christchurch is difficult to beat. The climate is comfortable - even in the heart of winter, when it's cold enough to snow, the generally dry atmosphere keeps it comfortable. Many other centres are known for their rather high rainfall; such is not the case here. Warm in summer, beautiful in winter. Christchurch has the virtue of providing both a vibrant and colourful life - socially, culturally, artistically, etc - without being overwhelming, and without compromising on the gentler side of things.

Loony BoB
08-11-2005, 01:25 PM
I at least acknowledge the better sides of other cities, but you seem to disregard Auckland altogether. :p That's what I mean when I say bias. I admit that the South Island has better 'historic buildings' - but the true history is in the Maori culture, as the history of the European culture is barely more than a century old in NZ. If Neel was looking for historic buildings, I'm sure he'd go somewhere else such as, you know, Europe. Hell, America has more history than NZ does.

Let's concentrate on actual differences rather than "Oh it's got nice nature" or "It's got culture!"

Christchurch: History, quiet life, small city, more varying temperatures as the year changes. Being the major city in the South Island, it has more things to do if you're into things like the adventure / outdoor sports lifestyle, especially with Queenstown down the way.
Auckland: More modern style, multi-culutural and large city, busier life if you want it (I never did and I had a very dull and quiet life, so don't say it's not possible :p), temperate weather. Being the major city in the North Island (let alone NZ), it has more things to do if you're into entertainment/tourism, especially with Rotorua/Taupo down the way.

That pretty much sums it up.

Both cities have a lot to offer when it comes to random social things, both have a lot to offer when it comes to nature (I'm not sure, but I think Christchurch's nature is predominantly parks, rivers, plains and the massive Southern Alps, while Auckland is predominantly parks, beaches, rainforest-covered ranges and dead volcanoes). Both have 'attitude' and both have 'culture' - just as much as each other. Maybe there are slight differences, but having been up and down NZ, I've never noticed a difference.

EDIT: The problem is, with all you non-Aucklanders saying that Auckland is such a large and busy place to an American, you're making it sound like a Chicago or Los Angeles. I've been to LA and it is absolutely massive in comparison to Auckland. Gigantic. Same with London. Huge. And full of pollution etc... nothing I would ever, ever put in the same league as Auckland. Yerch. I don't know if any of YOU have been to a large American city, but if you have, I'm sure you know what I mean when I say that I don't want an American (or Indian, or any other such person) thinking that Auckland is anything remotely like it.

-N-
08-12-2005, 03:16 PM
Looks like this thread is starting to make me be in favor of Auckland slightly, although I am finding our resident newbie CK's CC advice pretty useful. Another question I'd like to ask is - how far apart are these two cities? It's likely I will have a few friends from my school studying there and a few studying at Auckland, and being able to experience both halves of the country (I always hate choosing, so I usually end up doing everything :p) would be excellent.

o_O
08-12-2005, 11:48 PM
Neel, Auckland University's engineering department is the best, hands down. Also, at Auckland, in the lecture theatres, there are these big long tables, with big long rows of conjoined seats, and if somebody sits at the end seat while leaving empty seats in the middle, you can't get into any of the other seats, because that person is blocking the only way. You'll find that anywhere in the uni, people like to be the first into the lecture, and sit on the very end seat, so that 30-odd seats are unreachable, EXCEPT in Engineering. I don't know what it is, especially the Science students, they just disregard the fact that they've wasted 30 seats. But in a BE lecture, you'll never go without a seat. Surely that gives you some superiority over the rest of Auckland uni students? :p
Auckland's nightlife wins. Auckland has me! :p
There are a few really cheap hostels to live in if money is ever an object. And best of all, if you go to Auckland Uni, there is an AUT right next door to laugh at. :p

Also, jc lives in Hamiltron, City of the Future. Not Auckland. :p

Mitch
08-13-2005, 12:10 AM
WANGANUI

Calliope
08-13-2005, 01:12 AM
Study Engineering at either AU or AUT.

Auckland wins hands down.

Christchurch has a wizard, but Auckland has Me. :hat:

Sorry Dave.

Nah, not really.

Plus, why go live in the snow when you could hang out with ducks and geese and marmosets? And coffee!