PDA

View Full Version : NES emulator on a Fujitsu Siemens?

Peter_20
08-09-2005, 09:48 PM
I was gonna download a NES emulator for our computer, a Fujitsu Siemens.
This computer is pretty new, and Iīve tried something like this before, but it seemed a lot harder than on our older computer.

Are you able to have NES emulators lying around on new computers,
or are those kinds of files "too old"?

Fireblade13
08-10-2005, 01:27 PM
I have no idea maybe it is too old to understand because y comp. doesn't have a floppy drive so maybe comp.s are losing back ward compatibility

Flying Mullet
08-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Newer computers should be able to run your emulator if it's running the same operating system that your old computer was running before.

DJZen
08-11-2005, 04:03 AM
Floppy drive compatibility? What are you talking about?

Flying Mullet is right. The emulators aren't designed to work on specific computers, they're designed to work on specific operating systems (Windows, Mac OS, DOS, Linux, etc.). If it works on the operating system, it will work on any computer that uses the same operating system, provided it has adequate specs (hard drive space, memory, processor speed, video card, etc.). Now, with Windows it can be a little tricky because there are several different families of Windows operating systems. Here's a handy dandy little chart:

DOS:
-DOS
-Windows 3.x

Windows 9x:
-Windows 95
-Windows 98
-Windows 98 SE (Second Edition)
-Windows Me (Milennium edition)

Win32:
-Windows NT
-Windows 2000
-Windows XP
-Windows Server 2003 (if you're running this and need help figuring out an emulator, god help you)

Now, Generally speaking, a program that works on one OS in a family will work on another OS in the family. For example, software designed for Windows 2000 will probably work on Windows XP. However, software designed for Windows 98 might not work on Windows XP. The big exception to this is that Windows 9x is sort of backwards compatible with DOS. A DOS program will most likely work on Windows 95, 98, 98SE, and Me. However, Win32 isn't backwards compatible with DOS.

As far as I know (and I have very limited knowledge of Linux), all Linux systems are compatible, so something written for SuSE should work fine on Red Hat. Just for the record, I have literally 2 weeks of training with Linux, so don't quote me here.

MacOS is a whole different story. I know that up to MacOS 9 the OS was backwards compatible, but OS X (read: ten. If you say "oh ess eks" I will smack you) is not backwards compatible. There are also several different generations of Mac OS X, and I have no clue what the differences are, but I'm willing to bet what works on one will probably work on another.

So what OS do Fujitsu computers run? Is it proprietary or are they x86 based?

Peter_20
08-11-2005, 03:00 PM
So what OS do Fujitsu computers run? Is it proprietary or are they x86 based?

Eh, I really donīt know much about operating system and all this stuff, and right now Iīm actually planning on loading to another computer than the one I spoke of earlier.
This is a Dell computer, "Dimension 5000", that much I do know.
Itīs pretty new, and itīs got a large screen.
Whatīs recommended for that kind of computer?

Meat Puppet
08-11-2005, 04:07 PM
Do you have a button with a contorted windows picture on your keyboard that, when pressed, crashes your computer?

Mirage
08-11-2005, 04:51 PM
It's a Fujitsu Siemens, how can it possibly not be windows? Also, unless it's windows 3.11, it doesn't matter. I've yet to see an emulator that works on XP, but not 98.

DJZen
08-11-2005, 10:20 PM
Maybe not, but I have seen plenty of programs that work on Windows 98 SE that don't work on Windows XP at all. There's also a lot of DOS emulators that won't work on Windows PERIOD. Also, I've never used a Fujitsu before, I have no idea what OS they use. I don't even know if they're x86 compatible or not. I DO however know that Fujitsu made a game console based on their FM Towns line of computers, which were NOT x86 compatible.

Peter_18, the way you find out what operating system you have is by looking at the big picture that shows up when you're turning the computer on.

Mirage
08-12-2005, 02:54 AM
All Fujitsu Siemens computers i have seen have been just like any other "family computer", so yes, x86 and Windows.

Peter_20
08-12-2005, 02:52 PM
Is there any way to prevent virus and other irritating stuff from occuring?
I usually download stuff from www.vimm.net, btw.

DJZen
08-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Norton Anti-Virus
Lavasoft Ad-Aware
Spybot Search & Destroy

Run each of these once a week.

The best emulator for Windows is debatable, but I use NNNesterJ.