PDA

View Full Version : Motherboard pin...help. I dunno.

Shoeberto
08-10-2005, 12:29 AM
Okay, so I decided I want to use an old motherboard as well as some spare hardware that's lying around to build a box to play around on. The mobo has been in my attic for around two years, so it's obviously questionable as to whether or not it's blown. I thought I'd try anyway.

However, I can't figure out how to turn the thing on. That is, I don't know what pins the jumpers from the power button go on to.

I think I know where the pins are, I just can't figure out the configuration. I think it's a grouping of two rows of pins, one of 11 and one of 10. Like:

. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .
. .

The connector for the front LEDs and power button is one long connector with nine slots. From left to right, it's the power button, hard drive activity LED, and power LED.

Of course, the mobo could be dead. I know the PSU is good, though.

edit: If it helps any, it's an old HP Pavillion mobo, circa '98. The case is the same one it used to be in, but I had to take the mobo out to use the case temporarily when I performed an upgrade.

karatehero
08-10-2005, 06:34 PM
Hmmm, if that switch is just a normally open contact (spst) then you should be able to jump out the pins to turn them on. I'm confused, you dont' know what pins are which?

Shoeberto
08-10-2005, 06:38 PM
Nope, and that's where my problem is. There should be one that's the power on pin and one that's a ground that need connected, but I can't figure out which. I've tried most of the combinations.

karatehero
08-10-2005, 07:04 PM
Hmm, I see. You dont' have any further info on the mobo? Maybe like a part number or anything? I have some resources, but without a part number or anything....

Shoeberto
08-10-2005, 08:47 PM
Well, I looked over the mobo for a serial numbers (I don't have a manual or anything), and in doing that, I noticed that the pins are marked for power and LEDs :)

After getting some things right (the ATX cord didn't seem to be sitting right) I got it to power up. Thanks :)

karatehero
08-10-2005, 09:11 PM
See wihout my expert assistance, you never would have gotten it done.

(as he pats himself on back) :D

Anyways, good job! Glad it works!

Samuraid
08-11-2005, 12:47 AM
Glad you got it figured out. We have an older HP pavilion mobo like that sitting in one of our older computers...so if you do come up with any other questions... :)