PDA

View Full Version : 24 hour drinking o_0

Boosk
08-10-2005, 11:00 AM
I just read the papers and read the article about how the drinking times are now going to chance to 24 hour opening hours in the UK. I mean, WTF? How stupid! The pubs are going to be full of drunks all day now. The only reason they left was because of the closing times!! This new law is going to encourage people to drink longer and to drink more. People won't ever go home. Just live in the pub....

Well, thats my opinion. Does anybody agree or disagree with me?

Kagga :love:

Peegee
08-10-2005, 11:20 AM
All I want to know is -- will dancing clubs be open 24/7?

dancing clubs = :love:

boris no no
08-10-2005, 01:32 PM
whoot!
more drinking for meeeee! <3

Lindy
08-10-2005, 01:41 PM
24 hour drinking means that people will spend all their time being rowdy, stupid and sick in the pubs, rather than spilling out into the streets and causing trouble at closing time.

The other hope is that all the violent, drunken idiots will drink themselves to death and we'll get rid of them that way.

It WAS, unsurprisingly, thought out by you know, a large team of government ministers and consultants, I would have thought that they'd know better than you would, by sheer numbers alone.

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-10-2005, 02:35 PM
I do not really care to be honest. I go to student unions all the time anyway and they are open late sometimes anyway.

The government is doing is because they get more money from taxation on alcohol than what they have to pay out to the NHS, companies, etc. because of alcohol related problems. It is just another well thought out money spinning idea, exploit the stupid, just like smokers :)

Lindy
08-10-2005, 02:58 PM
Actually, smokers cost the NHS more money than they bring in.

The Jamie Star Scenario
08-10-2005, 03:08 PM
I remember studying the topic of smoking and health and it is really crazy how much money the government gets from smokers. I cannot remember the exact figures and I am not going through my notes to find them but I am pretty sure that smoking costs the NHS around 2 billion a year while the duty taken on ciggerettes is over 8 billion a year.

Quite a money spinner so it is and that is why they don't ban the only thing legally sold in the UK designed to kill you :)

Lindy
08-10-2005, 03:14 PM
Ah, well that's fair enough, last time I checked smokers cost more, but your's are more recent, so I'll run with that.

Of course, the best plan would be to tax the nicotine patches, then you'd get money from the people as they smoke, then more as they try to quit.

Olliey2k
08-10-2005, 03:29 PM
The whole idea of bringing in a 24/7 drinking in was to stop the binge drinking culture, where you have a 2 or 3 hour period to get as hammered as possible :p

Guess this could work, but only time will tell >.<;

Hawkeye
08-10-2005, 03:37 PM
I wish I lived in the UK. That would be sweet

Orestes
08-10-2005, 03:38 PM
24 hour drinking? Sounds like St. Pat's day down at school to me.

Those are fun times.

boris no no
08-10-2005, 03:48 PM
I remember studying the topic of smoking and health and it is really crazy how much money the government gets from smokers. I cannot remember the exact figures and I am not going through my notes to find them but I am pretty sure that smoking costs the NHS around 2 billion a year while the duty taken on ciggerettes is over 8 billion a year.

Quite a money spinner so it is and that is why they don't ban the only thing legally sold in the UK designed to kill you :)
you should be happy with em! i get all you non smokers money for your health needs
i kill myself for you to live
hurray
all is good
*drinks and smokes*
heres to an early death

Lindy
08-10-2005, 03:50 PM
heres to an early death
I'll drink to that.

Hurry up, will you?

Olliey2k
08-10-2005, 03:51 PM
I had to give up smoking :( They got so expensive >.<; Fucking government should stop increasing the tax on cigarette's and stop helping the elderly to live longer instead :p

boris no no
08-10-2005, 03:53 PM
heres to an early death
I'll drink to that.

Hurry up, will you?
theres only so many drinks and cigs a girl can hold
if you tap the vodka into my vein it may help speed things along

Lindy
08-10-2005, 03:54 PM
I'd suggest absinthe, but the after-effects of madness seem to have already taken effect.

boris no no
08-10-2005, 04:02 PM
I'd suggest absinthe, but the after-effects of madness seem to have already taken effect.
that happened a long time ago
we should pump it direct to my brain
then the effects will double

eestlinc
08-10-2005, 05:15 PM
as opposed to here in Atlanta where they decided to close all bars at 2am instead of 4am because obviously people will drink less in two less hours...

-N-
08-10-2005, 05:27 PM
24 hour bars are nothing but trouble.

As for me, I could definitely put down a ton more booze between 2 - 4 am.

eestlinc
08-10-2005, 05:31 PM
the problem is people just try to put down as much booze as they can between 1 and 2.

Meat Puppet
08-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Isn't there some powder you can put in your drink that will cause the knock off your feet effect in like underneath an hour or something?

gokufusionss1
08-10-2005, 06:52 PM

One word Rum

As a social smoker i dislike the anti smoking agenda, i need to smoke to look cool and attack the women that regulary flock to me.

Psychotic
08-10-2005, 07:16 PM
The Daily Mail says it's bad so it must be!

Lindy
08-10-2005, 07:25 PM
One word Rum
Rum does not drive you insane from overuse, nor is it banned in France.

Dr.K
08-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Mr.Blair wants us to be more like our Mediterranean cousins by introducing 24 hour pubs? Has he never stepped outside number 10 and had a look around?

Shlup
08-11-2005, 12:45 AM
Oh noes! The world is ending! We must restrict what people do or they'll do awful things like sit in bars!

Pfft. Vegas doesn't close and it's not nearly as bad as people would assume.

Dr.K
08-11-2005, 12:53 AM
Oh noes! The world is ending! We must restrict what people do or they'll do awful things like sit in bars!

Pfft. Vegas doesn't close and it's not nearly as bad as people would assume.

But this is (booze) Britain :cool:

Shlup
08-11-2005, 12:54 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot Brits can't take care of themselves. Don't worry, we'll invade soon and babysit your crooked asses.

-N-
08-11-2005, 01:41 AM
FLAME ON!

Big D
08-11-2005, 04:30 AM
Either that, or the Yanks will sue themselves to death after their ridiculous notions about "absolute personal freedoms" obliterate any conception of common sense or public good...

Anyway.

In my country, pubs used to close at 6 pm. This was until the the late 60s or something. Problem was, the drinking class would get off work at 5 pm, go straight into the pubs and drink as much as possible in the hour remaining - the infamous "five o'clock swill". So they'd all stagger home wasted at 6 pm and thus contribute to a generally sucky family life for many.

Some places never seem to close, now, though most restrict their hours in the interests of actually making money. I've been out on the town until four a.m. or later, once or twice.

gokufusionss1
08-11-2005, 10:21 AM
One word Rum
Rum does not drive you insane from overuse, nor is it banned in France.

you obviously haven't drunk enough rum.