PDA

View Full Version : Legend Of Dragoon 2

Dreddz
08-11-2005, 03:28 PM
Should There Of Been one, the endings point out that there could be a sequel and there were large rumors ( well, they were quite some time ago ) and I was wandering on what people would think if there was one

Discuss...

Rengori
08-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Hell yah.

Vaprice
08-11-2005, 06:45 PM
you could go with a sequal...but really to understand how it all started I would've wanted to have seen a prequel. That would've showed more of rose, and the war. remember the cut scene with all the fighting, that would've been intense.

But yeah I'd like to see another game of LoD

Doomie
08-11-2005, 06:57 PM
No.
Never.
The game sucked so much, I'd rather die then see someone suffer through a sequel.

Black Mage
08-11-2005, 07:34 PM
If it would be as bad as the first one, then no thanks.

If they could take the game in an entirely different direction, that is, one that isn't terrible, I'd be willing to give it a chance.

But, if you're going to make me pick, no.

Black Mage FF1
08-11-2005, 08:02 PM
LoD was great. There was nothing wrong with it at all. There NEEDS to be a sequal and hopefully its just like the first one. LoD was one of the best RPG's ever.

Excelsior
08-11-2005, 09:53 PM
Yes, LoD was great, and the only reason people dont like it is because they cant get over the fact that Sephiroth wasnt in it. :p

Rengori
08-12-2005, 12:04 AM
Yes, LoD was great, and the only reason people dont like it is because they cant get over the fact that Sephiroth wasnt in it. :p
:D Anyone who hates Legend of the Dragoon is not even trying to branch out of Square Enix's games. They aren't the only ones who can make a good RPG.

http://www.creativeuncut.com/album/whit042.gif

kikimm
08-12-2005, 01:43 AM
Wow. I hate the Legend of Dragoon. Because it sucked. Horribly. Couldn't care less who made it, a bad game's a bad game. Of course, this is all just my opinion, so blah. :)

Personally, I wouldn't ever wish a sequel upon this world. IF it looked similar to the original. If I'm going to be buying it, or even renting it, it better be a whole lot different. But I doubt this is ever going to happen, so there's no need to worry about it.

:D

Kamiko
08-12-2005, 01:48 AM
I liked some of the FMV.
But some of it irritated me.
I didn't like Shana and the other girl who replaced her sounded Irish.
Not that's there's anything wrong with Irish people, but it was just a bit odd.

Lord Chainsaw
08-12-2005, 03:37 AM
I think Legend of Dragoon is a great game and I'll straight up tell you why:

I loved the settings.

There are many things that can make a game great: gameplay, plot, characters, music, art direction, graphics, interactivity, and longevity come to mind immediately.

You can be a jack of all trades and try to create a game that's good in all areas, or you can lack in certain other areas but excel in one area (maybe not to such an extreme, but the certain absence of development in other areas will complement what already stands out as the best aspect of the game).

You don't have to go completely in depth here and decide whether a game's worth is based solely on a meticulous summation of all its parts. Obviously the games we rate as the best would be, more or less, nearly perfect in all of the categories that matter most to us as individuals in the gaming process. I've more than once played a game in which every aspect of the story comes together in perfect harmony, and creates the most beautiful experience in the world. That doesn't mean we have to hold all games to this standard. A way of looking at it would be saying that because they lack in certain areas, they will never be the best games, but they can be great.

A counter argument to the above sentence would be looking at this matter from an RPG party perspective. We have the jack of all trade video game which excels in all areas areas and is widely considered "the best". This is our main character. Exceptional in every area, but the fact that every area is evenly outstanding beclouds everyone's judgment at regarding a single section as brilliant. Then we have the magic user, the "great" game, which ranges from severly lacking, to lacking in one or more areas, but stands out in maybe one, two, or three. This guy has really crappy HP, but can take anything down in 2 hits and has the most MP in the game. Now the first guy can hit pretty hard too, but the mage's magic ability is so great (being his physical ATP sucks), that he can take things down much faster. Who you decide to take on your quest is subjective depending on your style of play, therefore perhaps what makes the "best" games and "great" games may also be subjective. Some gamers may prefer music, some may prefer plot, some may prefer gameplay, and couldn't give a damn about the other areas, making their best games other people's lacking, or "great" games. Different standards for all is pretty much what it boils down to. It's very difficult to judge all games the same way because they're so different nowadays.

But back on the subject of LoD, my personal opinion is that it is a "great" game because the locations were simply fantastic. Put aside the plot. Put aside the music. Put aside the gameplay. Look at the locations and environments:

The Helena Prison. Feels like it's straight out of Star Wars. The black castle is probably the most gloomy, evil feeling imperial stronghold I've ever been to in a game. The Valley of Corrupted Gravity and its enormous gate into the unknown. The Oceanic Palace and the beautiful view across the twilight lake from the Princess' room. The realm of the giants' desolation and savvy traps. A volcanic mountain graveyard, an undersea lab, a crystalline palace, a snow tower, a tropical fortress in the middle of a desert, a kingdom of lost souls, a bereaucratic office and beyond. And don't even get me started on the bosses.

Would I like to see a Legend of Dragoon 2? Yes. Do I give a damn what the plot is about, what the gameplay is like, or what the music sounds like? Not really. As long as they give me more stunning locations I'll be fine with it, because that's what I enjoyed from the original. Environments and scenery baby. Oh, and really cool bosses.

edczxcvbnm
08-12-2005, 03:53 AM
I would like to point out that Legend of Dragoon had the most animated pre-rendered backgrounds out of just about any PSX RPG. That really helped to enhance the feel of the areas and make them better over all.

Madame Adequate
08-12-2005, 05:15 AM
The Helena Prison. Feels like it's straight out of Star Wars. The black castle is probably the most gloomy, evil feeling imperial stronghold I've ever been to in a game. The Valley of Corrupted Gravity and its enormous gate into the unknown. The Oceanic Palace and the beautiful view across the twilight lake from the Princess' room. The realm of the giants' desolation and savvy traps. A volcanic mountain graveyard, an undersea lab, a crystalline palace, a snow tower, a tropical fortress in the middle of a desert, a kingdom of lost souls, a bereaucratic office and beyond. And don't even get me started on the bosses.

Fully agreed. There are few things in gaming, maybe none, which can bring more of a shiver to my spine than the words 'Crystal Palace Deningrad'. The locations in LoD are simply outstanding, and if a sequel were to have the same I'd be there the minute the stores opened.

LoD was, IMO, a very great game and one well worth tracking down and playing through.

T-MaN
08-12-2005, 05:29 AM
Hell ya there should be a sequel. Well, as long as Dart is the main character. LoD is one of my favourite games, and the whole "attack" sequence makes it challenging. The music and the artwork were great. I still don't understand why people hate it so much. The storyline was pretty chill too.

Vaprice
08-12-2005, 05:31 AM
Wow. I hate the Legend of Dragoon. Because it sucked. Horribly. Couldn't care less who made it, a bad game's a bad game. Of course, this is all just my opinion, so blah. :)

Personally, I wouldn't ever wish a sequel upon this world. IF it looked similar to the original. If I'm going to be buying it, or even renting it, it better be a whole lot different. But I doubt this is ever going to happen, so there's no need to worry about it.

*Cough cough* Okay guys...for those who had a problem with this game...was it because you had trouble pressing the buttons when you were attacking? OR WAIT?!?!?! Was it you hadn't a clue what the crackers you were doing? Now I believe they're are two sides of a story.....so tell us what exactly specifically you didn't like about this game seeing as most of the other people posting in this thread have said that they have liked it?

Was it the FMV's? The Plot? The plot-twists? The characters? You didn't like the idea that you can control the power of a Dragon could you? *hints back to earlier FF's*

So some of the game resembled other things in life, does it matter? Havr you ever read a book and it resembled another book? Star wars the movie, star trek the TV show...they resembled each other....no one said that they absoloutely falt out sucked.

kikimm
08-12-2005, 06:11 AM
*Cough cough* Okay guys...for those who had a problem with this game...was it because you had trouble pressing the buttons when you were attacking? OR WAIT?!?!?! Was it you hadn't a clue what the crackers you were doing? Now I believe they're are two sides of a story.....so tell us what exactly specifically you didn't like about this game seeing as most of the other people posting in this thread have said that they have liked it?

Was it the FMV's? The Plot? The plot-twists? The characters? You didn't like the idea that you can control the power of a Dragon could you? *hints back to earlier FF's*

I actually thought that the battle system was the best thing about the game, but that alone didn't make me want to play it. =/ I don't play games for the scenery, or the gameplay. Maybe I'm weird, but that's that. What I was looking for in LoD was an excellent story that would keep me going, and characters that I cared about. In my opinion, I got absolutely none of that from this game. It all seemed way too cliched and generic. I found it to be extremely boring. I didn't care what happened, at all. All in my opinion, however, and I'm glad some people were able to enjoy this game.

Madame Adequate
08-12-2005, 06:28 AM
I actually thought that the battle system was the best thing about the game, but that alone didn't make me want to play it. =/ I don't play games for the scenery, or the gameplay. Maybe I'm weird, but that's that. What I was looking for in LoD was an excellent story that would keep me going, and characters that I cared about. In my opinion, I got absolutely none of that from this game. It all seemed way too cliched and generic. I found it to be extremely boring. I didn't care what happened, at all. All in my opinion, however, and I'm glad some people were able to enjoy this game.

I can see where you're coming from there, but I found LoD has one of the better set of characters around. Ok, I'm no fan of Shana, but Albert, Lavitz, Haschel, Rose, and Meru are all really awesome IMO. As well as many of the other characters, I'll add.

EDIT: But, to each their own. You are being entirely respectful of our feelings, I will respect your in turn. I'm sorry you didn't like it and I think you're missing out, but I bet I loathe some games you think are absolute classics xD

DMKA
08-12-2005, 11:25 AM
I love it when people automatically assume people are whiny idiots or something when they happen to dislike something they do like.

The game was fun, until the ending, which...wasn't really an ending at all. I didn't really like the way the characters looked, and the story wasn't very special...it was just so so.

The things I loved though was the whole transformation concept (same with FFX-2), and the FMVs were the greatest looking when they came out. Oh and the game discs were really pretty.

But all in all, it's a game I could of lived without playing, and never plan on playing again (I still own it), and I don't really feel either way on whether there should or should not be a sequel, and if there was, I would play it.

Dreddz
08-12-2005, 12:12 PM
I was mainly asking on how everyone would react to a sequel, not discussion on the original
But on that, LOD seems to have the most mixed reactions on views
Some hate it to a extreme
Some say "Meh"
Others say it was really good
and some would favour it over there family
I think the people hating it , as Rengori said, dosent wasnt to branch out of Square and refuse to accept it as a good game and didnt really give the game a chance...

Black Mage
08-12-2005, 04:26 PM
I think the people hating it , as Rengori said, dosent wasnt to branch out of Square and refuse to accept it as a good game and didnt really give the game a chance...

I like how you guys keep saying that, especially since it's completely untrue. Many have given their opinions of the game in the other Legend of Dragoon thread, including myself, so I feel no need to defend my opinion of it in a thread that's not even created for that purpose.

Dreddz
08-12-2005, 06:38 PM
I was saying in general, not aimed at you.....and I even said that this isnt a thread about Legend Of Dragoon, so you didnt need to put a comment on the game anyway...

Black Mage
08-12-2005, 08:37 PM
I was saying in general, not aimed at you.....and I even said that this isnt a thread about Legend Of Dragoon, so you didnt need to put a comment on the game anyway...

Yeah, I'm not too worried about that. I just think it's laughable that you guys think you know more about our opinions than we do. That's all.

And if you really didn't want any comments on the game, maybe next time you should say "Do you think there should be a sequel to Legend of Dragoon? [Don't explain why or why not]"

There's not much of a discussion in that, though.

udsuna
08-12-2005, 08:59 PM
I loved the game, in a lot of ways it was *better* than most of the FF series.

I'll be the first person to admit that the plot was a *little* weak... the backstory was BRILLIANTLY laid out, but I can't help but feeling like I came into a book that had just finished the climactic moment, and everything was settling down again. The characters were a little weak and/or stereotypical, personality wise. That's the bad stuff.

As for the GOOD stuff: like I said, brilliant, gorgeous, amazing backstory. A lot of time spent on character developement (even if all the developements were just a little... well, stereotypical). It had the most beautiful movie sequences ever seen at it's time. Hell, probably the best ever made for the PS1 platform. It had some good plot twists and developements, unfortunately it didn't carry those into the behavior of the characters strongly enough. It had better than average music for the genre (but let's face it, hardly competition for the FF series). It had plenty of humorous moments to enjoy.

But what will always be my love in LoD was the challenge. Never before, nor since, have I actually had to *think* about what I'm doing in a battle during an RPG. It took real effort to play that game, it took skill, timing, and ability. It. Was. HARD!!! Even without the button-timing, the fights were a challenge. Plus, they didn't give some stupid, annoying "ultimate" techniques that would win the final battle in the first round (FF7 KotR and FF8 Selphie's "the end" come to mind).

Anyways, back on subject.... the idea of a sequal doesn't appeal. It's over, there's nothing else to add to the story. However, there's a lot of that backstory that I would KILL to explore thoroughly. The original dragoons, some of them seem downright *scarily* odd, it'd be great to see. The world as the Winglies built it. Starting the rebellion, the whole thing is mind numbingly vast in it's possibilities, I must know all!!!

Dreddz
08-12-2005, 09:34 PM

Yeah, I'm not too worried about that. I just think it's laughable that you guys think you know more about our opinions than we do. That's all.

And if you really didn't want any comments on the game, maybe next time you should say "Do you think there should be a sequel to Legend of Dragoon? [Don't explain why or why not]"

There's not much of a discussion in that, though.
First, OK I kinda messed up on the comment, I meant that some people do that, I dont think im completely right.
As with the title, I stated maybe not in the title, but in the content I put, I said that this was about if there should be a Sequel...

Excelsior
08-13-2005, 02:51 AM
One of my favorite things about the story was when it was revealed that Rose was the Black Monster. Sure, I wouldnt think it was that great now that im older, if I just got there, but at the time, I was about 9 or so, so when it was revealed, i was like "WTF OMFG!" It spiced up the characters in my opinion, as well.

Dreddz
08-13-2005, 12:25 PM
errrmmmmm Mark the spoilers..

Excelsior
08-14-2005, 05:33 AM
wasnt there a announcement saying that we dont have to do that with old games?

Blockinlick
01-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Thread Necro

First, I'll answer the OP.

I agree with a few others that say the story is over and that adding anything else to it would be over-doing it. However, the backstory is so amazing, that I would cream my pants if they ever made a prequel involving the original dragoons in the Dragon Campaign. Like The Legend of Dragon: The Dragon Campaign.

@The Legend of Dragoon haters.

Sure, there are legitimate reasons to dislike the game, I get that, however, if you legitimately dislike LoD, you will have more to say than "It was a terrible game and I'm never playing it again". Saying things in such a way indicate immaturity and spite towards it... spite that usually only comes from someone who didn't even give the game a chance.

If you played LoD all the way through and claim there wasn't at least some aspect of it that you liked, you would be full of it. I agree that most of these people hating the game probably just sucked terribly at the button timing and or disliked that fact that you can't just run the game over by over-leveling and training. [COUGH Like almost all FF games COUGH Like almost all FF fans like to do COUGH].

LoD is a very balanced game. They made sure that you couldn't just train in a few certain spots for hours on end and be set for the rest of the game [For instance, in FF7, you can train in the Temple of the Ancients all the way from level 20 to level 50 in just a few hours]... if you spend hours training on LoD, it's only going to help in maybe the next 3 boss fights and get you maybe 2 levels, then it pretty much evens itself out again. There aren't any overpowered additions, or weapons, or spells you can lean on, it's through & through a game that requires skill in all areas of RPG gaming, instead of letting you win because of "Time investment" AKA being a no lifin' nerd lol. This is probably why FF nerds hate it lawlzzz.

Honestly, I only have 3 small problems with the game.

1. At first, the music seems sort of cheesy, but when it grows on you, it's really good. I think it's because the music sets such a different atmosphere than other RPGs, it's hard to get used to at first.

2. The dragoon forms aren't as strong as they should be, given they're glorified so much in the game. For instance, I almost NEVER transform Albert, because by the time you max out Gust of Wind Dance [You can do this by the end of CD 1 with Lavitz], it's much more effective just to keep hacking away with GoWD. In fact, the only time I ever find the Dragoon forms really useful is using Darts Final Burst against the sea dragon, and earlier in the game, using Roses Astral Drain too leech HP. Otherwise, they really aren't much more powerful than just hacking away with additions. The actual Dragoon Attacks don't even seem much better at all... in fact, Alberts dragoon attack is much weaker than GoWD. I understand that they would do this for the sake of balance, but it sort of defies the whole "Powerful dragoon" hype that goes on through the story. You could easily play this game all the way through without ever using Dragoons [Idk about Melbu Though, that would be hard].

3. The ending/final boss was so lame. Not to say he was easy, no, he is one of the hardest and lengthy bosses I've had to face. But, his forms, up until his final form, were so cheesy and it just hits you out of nowhere. One second you think that your enemy is Zieg, then at the last moment of the game you find out it's melbu, it was so anti-climactic. It would have been much better to find out who your true enemy was slightly before hand. That's like going to fight sephiroth, then suddenly President Rufus comes in like "Oh, it wasn't seph at all, it was ME the whole time Muahahaahha". lol

Even despite that, in my personal opinion, I think it's one of the best, right up there with FF7 [Which I hold FF7 as the #1 RPG of all time] and Diablo II.

chionos
01-09-2012, 10:39 PM
*High Five*
Nice necro

I would like to play a sequel mainly because I wanted to love LoD so much because it had a shetload of potential, but didn't quite live up to it for me. A sequel might have been able to bring everything together. I really enjoyed the difficulty of some of the Additions.

Depression Moon
01-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Just realized this thread is extremely old. Delete this post if you can please.

Jiro
01-10-2012, 06:02 AM
The OP occasionally posts here still, but man. Seriously. Smells like zombie.